Performance Review: KD2

My first review hope this is a help.

My background: 6'1 former college ball player. Play a lot of open gym and league play. I've played every sig shoe since '02 and many other performance model Nike's. I play guard/forward. More of a three shooter/slasher. Enough about me, onto the review.

Looks: I bought the white/black colorway. In person it is actually more eye catching than the creamsicles. Just my opinion. The white leather is a nice quality, had a few guys step on my feet and I was able to just wipe off the dirt. One nick in the leather, but very small. The patent leather didn't catch any streaks and really bring out the orange on the back of the shoe.

xl386423101.jpg

Traction: I am a fiend for traction. This is usually my most important issue with shoes. I strained my groin pretty bad in college and it was due to the Jordan xvi's having no grip whatsoever. Since then I have stayed away from clear/ice soles. Out of the box the traction is good. At this gym my Kobe IV's were one of the few shoes that gave me great traction. The KD2 will get dusty and still give you good traction on the court. The outsides will slip a bit, but solid steps will garner traction. Not as much grip as the Kobe IV, but good and close.

Cushioning: The details page of the shoe say cushion foam and a zoom unit. This shoe sits low. Not as low as a hyperflight and not as high or soft as the Kobe IV or other Jordans. The feel of the cushioning is similar to the zoom tennis trainer that has been recently retro'ed. It sits low and the cushion is softer than the stiff zoom found in that shoe.

NMAZTWR-1.jpg

Fit: I also pull up the pic of this shoe because the fit is similar. The thin upper will not feel like its on your foot around the ankle area. The midfoot strap works well with one caveat. If your foot is narrow and you are hoping for this to lock you down the amount of velcro does not allow the strap to move that far over. It does do a good job of holding your laces underneath so you won't be fooling around with your shoelaces all day. The shoe has a slightly stiffer side that is hard to get to fit onto your foot. No matter how tight you tie your shoe you will only feel the top of the laces high around your upper ankle. My major complaint with the KD1 was its heel cup. It tore skin from the back of my heel and I am not a fan of double socking. I feel a shoe should fit without double socks and the extra layer only heats my foot up and makes me feel clunky.

Final Verdict: A good ball shoe for the money. I really recommend a try on period to make sure the shoe feels secure to you. It runs true to size, maybe a hair large. I really like that Nike is offering a solid shoe like this at the price. I can't knock it that much for what it did to my feet, because my feet may not the same size as yours. Even past those issues, I really enjoyed playing in these shoes.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

Nice review! How is the responsiveness on the cushioning? Zoom is probably on the forefoot right and how about the heel cushioning?

thanks!

in terms of responsiveness the zoom air does not give that spring back feel that earlier zoom and even double stack have. I'd assume the zoom must be very thin, but it does the job. I do a lot of jumping, had one dunk in 'em, and never noticed a "shock" or heavy impact. You won't notice the cushioning for good or bad reasons. Overall I would call that a plus, even though I love the soft zoom feel.

I also have had issues with a bruised heel the occaionally with my kobe iv which has some of the softest cushioning out there. No issues with the heel either in these aside from the rub that took the skin off my achilles.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

thanks!

in terms of responsiveness the zoom air does not give that spring back feel that earlier zoom and even double stack have. I'd assume the zoom must be very thin, but it does the job. I do a lot of jumping, had one dunk in 'em, and never noticed a "shock" or heavy impact. You won't notice the cushioning for good or bad reasons. Overall I would call that a plus, even though I love the soft zoom feel.

I also have had issues with a bruised heel the occaionally with my kobe iv which has some of the softest cushioning out there. No issues with the heel either in these aside from the rub that took the skin off my achilles.
Ouch on the achilles thing
ohwell.gif
 The zoom on the ZKIV heel is indeed amazing
pimp.gif
 Thanks once again for the review
wink.gif

The only difference between the KD1 and the KD2 is that the KD2s are midtops and have a pretty much useless strap and the KD1s are hightops. Both shoes have the same grip pattern and same phrases on the bottom of the shoe, "duck walks, no pickup games, etc etc."

Yea they are priced right and most important they are good to ball in. Nike finally did us a favor and not making it $150 plus dollars because of it being a signature shoe and all

hmm kinda of tempted to get a pair myself. what position(s) and player would you say they're more targeted for?

Originally Posted by sneakerfiend1221

The only difference between the KD1 and the KD2 is that the KD2s are midtops and have a pretty much useless strap and the KD1s are hightops. Both shoes have the same grip pattern and same phrases on the bottom of the shoe, "duck walks, no pickup games, etc etc."

Thats not true. Same midsole/outsole but different cushioning setups are used.

Originally Posted by NY GIANTS 11

I'm positive both have forefoot zoom and a full length cushlon midsole, didn't the designer say they were keeping the same base

Originally Posted by scshift

I'm positive both have forefoot zoom and a full length cushlon midsole, didn't the designer say they were keeping the same base
You forgot the heel air sole on the KD1
wink.gif

Same last...but not the same cushioning set up. They watched his footwork and realized he plays on his toes, hence the removal of the heel air unit.

^ yeah same, I just read over the SC review and didn't see any info on the KD1, Gggggas, was that the one you were talking about, the kicksology review?

^ yeah same, I just read over the SC review and didn't see any info on the KD1, Gggggas, was that the one you were talking about, the kicksology review?

Exactly, from the review by Zac:
 ''The shoe’s designer, Nike Basketball’s Leo Chang, explained to us that the shoe’s feel was developed around KD’s personal footstrike. When his gait was analyzed, they found that “he hardly lands on his heel, whether you see him running on a treadmill or running on the court. So, really, what was an Air bag going to do for him in the back? Not a whole lot. We wanted to really focus on Zoom cushioning in the forefoot as opposed to anything else.

“he hardly lands on his heel, whether you see him running on a treadmill or running on the court. So, really, what was an Air bag going to do for him in the back?"

Does this imply that the KD1 had an heel Air bag? Or is he referring to the fact that almost all other Nike Basketball shoes typically have some sort of Air in the heel? It's not 100% clear.

Leo might be repeating the design thoughts they had with the KD1 and were carried over to the KD2. They already knew he was a midfoot/forefoot striker with the KD1.

I have both 2 pair of the KD1 and the KD2.They use the same midsole and the same cushioning set-up...cushlon in the midsole with forefoot zoom air.Take the insole out the shoe and you can almost see the forefoot zoom bag on both..Turn the shoe upside down and the stuff in between the flex grooves in the heel is a really soft foam..that is the cushlon foam that is in the midsole and the only thing in the heel.This is a pic of my KD1´s..The orange cushlon foam can be seen under the sock liner and on the bottom of the shoe..

The exact same with the KD2.

got my pair been hoopin in em a few months now the second best bball shoe ive ever had next to the nike vis air sweet tb

Back
Top Bottom