Parents who bring their young children to PG-13/R movies...what's your take on it?

saw training day, scarface when i was like 10, seen dozens of r and hundreds of pg 13 flicks and i turned out gravy, its all about the kid, some kids are jus crazy

Have you stopped and watched kid's cartoons or Disney these days? Some of those shows are highhhhhhhhly suggestive too. It is all about the parents ability to parent the children.

i dont mind em being there if they dont disrupt. however i am starting to think some of what children are exposed to at young ages may b inducing some of the violent behaviors we see

Why is it inappropriate??? I doubt most kids have the mental capacity to even remotely know what is actually happening.
You don't think kids are cognizant of their surroundings?  C'mon man.  Children are a lot smarter than you think.  Just because YOU think they aren't aware of what's being shown on the screen, they are soaking it all in. 

As I said before, even without blood/gore there is nothing appropriate in TDKR for a young child. 
What is so bad about that movie? Give examples. Yes kids have a rudimentary understanding of what is going on in that movie. What I was talking about is the dialogue though, there is no way a child under 6 has any idea what they are talking about  for most of the movie.

I took my 6 year old and 5 year old to see batman. My 5 year old she fell asleep but my 6 year stayed up and enjoyed it. I take them to all kinds of movies whether its animated or pg13 or rated r of course i use common sense and dont take em to every rated r movie but going to the movies is enjoyable to them and its family time

What is so bad about that movie? Give examples. Yes kids have a rudimentary understanding of what is going on in that movie. What I was talking about is the dialogue though, there is no way a child under 6 has any idea what they are talking about  for most of the movie.
Give examples?  Are you serious now?  Movie is violent from start to finish.  It's what they're watching

Why is it inappropriate??? I doubt most kids have the mental capacity to even remotely know what is actually happening.

You don't think kids are cognizant of their surroundings?  C'mon man.  Children are a lot smarter than you think.  Just because YOU think they aren't aware of what's being shown on the screen, they are soaking it all in. 

As I said before, even without blood/gore there is nothing appropriate in TDKR for a young child. 
My kids understand dialogue and whats going on in movies usually after every movie i talk to them about what they saw and they are able to tell me the plot and what was going on through the film. Even basic concepts like whose the bad guy and good guys and why they are fighting or doing what they are doing.

My problem with young children at the movies are the parents who bring them to the later shows. No child should at a show that is after 10 PM. Its my biggest pet peeve of mine and as expensive as movies are today, I don't want to hear a kid crying which happens way too often. What's worse is when some parents let their kid cry it out in the theater at the expense of everyone else instead of taking them out of the theater. You can't tell a kid to shut up because if you do it becomes a larger problem. If you can't find a sitter that night, then just wait until its more convenient for you to see the movie. No one is saying you have to become Amish once you have children, but have some consideration for others please. Too many parents who do this don't understand that concept.

As far as PG-13 and Rated R movies go, its up to the parent's discretion. With gore, blood and violence, you need to leave them home. Unlike the previous Batman movies which were geared toward children, the TDK and DKR were not children's movie. I don't care how you spin it.

Last edited:

Give examples?  Are you serious now?  Movie is violent from start to finish.  It's what they're watching
so are 90% of the cartoons they watch with hitting and figting. My son loves dragonball z but theres constant violence in that. He enjoys power rangers they are always fighting as well. But my son understands its not real and there are certain things i dont tolerate like playing with fake guns or gun sounds. Thats just sonething i have always talked to him about. And also how hitting is wrong. It all goes back to explaining and talking to ur kids to make sure they understand and comprehend what they are watching so u can help them interpret what they see

Kids see the same level of violence in shows and games geared towards them. Anyways as long as you communicate with your child as well have a true relationship that truly guides them then that will have a far more profound meaning on them than a scene in  a movie.

Kids see the same level of violence in shows and games geared towards them. Anyways as long as you communicate with your child as well have a true relationship that truly guides them then that will have a far more profound meaning on them than a scene in  a movie.
It's all about what you as a parent CHOOSE to expose your children to.  For children under 6, tell me which games/tv shows (SPECIFICALLY geared towards that age group) is the SAME level of violence of that in TDKR?

As a parent, I'd never take my young child to a movie like that.  There are plenty of other options.  You have to remember who is the parent in the relationship and who is calling the shots. 

I still find is baffling that Americans and the American media regulators (MPAA, ESRB, etc) are much more uptight about an exposed breast than they are about people getting murdered >D

I still find is baffling that Americans and the American media regulators (MPAA, ESRB, etc) are much more uptight about an exposed breast than they are about people getting murdered
grin.gif
NVM.

I see yngSIMBA's post and understand what Hy was getting at. 

My bad. 

Last edited:
i don't mind. i just feel like if your child is crying, or talking and ruining the movie for others than they shouldnt be there.

the 2nd time i saw TDKR this guys kids were literally walking up and down each aisle like it was a day care. it was annoying

If the kid is quiet, I dont care. I saw tons of pg13/R movies when I was young. Ive never been a fan of kiddie movies, and if you want action, most things are gonna be pg13 or rated r. Now granted I had to close my eyes during nude scenes, but I new the violence wasnt real. I remember I was 7-8 and saw starship troopers. It was the greates thing ever to me, except for the shower scene which I couldnt see
STARSHIP troopers had me shook for years...

i havent been able to look at it since... i'm 23 now. :lol:

I watched New Jack City when I was like 5-7 y/o. I have a set of cousins who grew up sheltered and, couldn't even go outside at times. One has 5 kids, and she turns 26 years old soon, the other is wise but, she's a bit spacey. I am 24 w/no kids and, I don't smoke or drink. Moms gave me TONs of freedom and free roaming. It's all about the child. Some kids actually watch wrestling and violent movies and try to re-enact it in real life. Needless to say, my children will not be sheltered or hindered from seeing life's reality, and life's fictional tales.

STARSHIP troopers had me shook for years...
i havent been able to look at it since... i'm 23 now. :lol:

remember when dizzy got sabbed through the chest, and the dude got his brain sucked out by the brain bug. Wasnt it awesome :D

Last edited:
I've always romanticized the idea of having really mature children. I've always wondered how much I would expose mine own to and at watch ages. I think it's just best to expose your children to only what you sincerely believe they are ready for.

I wouldn't, kids at that age aren't mentally developed enough to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

I remember seeing my first live and real titty at 8 yrs when my folks took me to see Titanic, that titty was all I could've thought of the next week at school.

My problem with young children at the movies are the parents who bring them to the later shows. No child should at a show that is after 10 PM.
I think it's just best to expose your children to only what you sincerely believe they are ready for.
This right here.

I was 9 when I first saw Bad Boys and it's still my favorite movie.

Last edited:
We discussed this a bit in the Batman thread.  I'm curious as to what your take is on parents who bring their young kids to PG-13/R movies? 

Personally, I think it's a parenting fail and a case where people can't get their priorities in order.  If you can't find a sitter, wait for the movie on DVD.  It's not that serious. 

Kids are growing up too fast as it is, and there is no reason to subject them to images, sounds, etc. in movies when they should be doing something else.  

When you see this happen, are you indifferent, disgusted, or in agreement with the parents who made the decision to bring their kids to the movies? 

parenting fail what a stupid opinion.

kids are a lot more mature and know what's going on around them more than you think.

i'm glad my parents were open to me watching movies, playing gta at a young age, and having fun. If i can sense my kid has the same sense of maturity and is responsible there's no harm. You're not protecting them cause they will come in contact with these things one way or another. At a friends house, on a phone, in the library, doesn't matter.

I'll never forget being like 7 at thanksgiving and species comes on the television while everyone is drinking, chatting and eating.... and some folks start freaking out cause i'm there, everyone else is staring at me for my reaction, and in my head i'm like i completely know whats going on, calm down and stop looking at me like a science project.

Back
Top Bottom