Parents who bring their young children to PG-13/R movies...what's your take on it?

We discussed this a bit in the Batman thread.  I'm curious as to what your take is on parents who bring their young kids to PG-13/R movies? 

Personally, I think it's a parenting fail and a case where people can't get their priorities in order.  If you can't find a sitter, wait for the movie on DVD.  It's not that serious. 

Kids are growing up too fast as it is, and there is no reason to subject them to images, sounds, etc. in movies when they should be doing something else.  

When you see this happen, are you indifferent, disgusted, or in agreement with the parents who made the decision to bring their kids to the movies? 

We discussed this a bit in the Batman thread.  I'm curious as to what your take is on parents who bring their young kids to PG-13/R movies? 

Personally, I think it's a parenting fail and a case where people can't get their priorities in order.  If you can't find a sitter, wait for the movie on DVD.  It's not that serious. 

Kids are growing up too fast as it is, and there is no reason to subject them to images, sounds, etc. in movies when they should be doing something else.  

When you see this happen, are you indifferent, disgusted, or in agreement with the parents who made the decision to bring their kids to the movies? 

If the kid is quiet, I dont care. I saw tons of pg13/R movies when I was young. Ive never been a fan of kiddie movies, and if you want action, most things are gonna be pg13 or rated r. Now granted I had to close my eyes during nude scenes, but I new the violence wasnt real. I remember I was 7-8 and saw starship troopers. It was the greates thing ever to me, except for the shower scene which I couldnt see

I went to see many, many R rated movies with the parents...Look at me, I'm aight.

I don't mind it at all. My parents always took me and I fell asleep at the movies. Come to think of it, we never saw much G or PG movies. They were almost all rated R and I turned out fine. Maybe it was a different era I'm 27 now, so they took me in the early to mid 90s.

Last edited:
I hate it. Absolutely hate it. My dream is to open a theater similar to Alamo Drafthouse, OD strict on rules for the enjoyment of patrons and film lovers.

I went to see many, many R rated movies with the parents...Look at me, I'm aight.

That's not the point though. It's inconsiderate to the other people who paid their money to see that movie.

If the parent can't find a babysitter, skip the movie.

I hate kids just about anywhere but as long as they shut up, im cool widdit.

i think it all depends on how well adjusted the kid is and it is up to parents to explain the context that it is only a movie. if they start acting up or something though, then get the **** out.

Last edited:
Would you do it with your own kids? 

when u say kids, how old we talkin? my son is nearing 2, and he dont give a damb about silence.
i say 3 and up is possible. most kids under 3 dont have the type of attention span to last through a whole movie anyway.

People are still missing the point of why people are upset over that. People were mad because it is a midnight screening not because the rating. You don't take a 6 month old anywhere at that time of night unless that child is having an emergency. 

As far as ratings go  IDGAF how someone raises their child as long as it is not endangering them. 

I hate it. Absolutely hate it. My dream is to open a theater similar to Alamo Drafthouse, OD strict on rules for the enjoyment of patrons and film lovers.
That's not the point though. It's inconsiderate to the other people who paid their money to see that movie.
If the parent can't find a babysitter, skip the movie.

well thats the thing, some kids are perfectly quiet and you wouldnt know they were in the theater at all, and some yap alot. Thats the parents place to know if they have talkative kids.

now I agree the midnight showing of TDKR was dumb, but Ive never seen that happen in any of the midnight showings Ive been to

Last edited:
My problem wouldnt be kids seeing Rated R movies, but its when young kids are in movies with their parents 12-1am in the morn. Thats a super Fail imo.

when u say kids, how old we talkin? my son is nearing 2, and he dont give a damb about silence.
i say 3 and up is possible. most kids under 3 dont have the type of attention span to last through a whole movie anyway.
Let's say under 6.
People are still missing the point of why people are upset over that. People were mad because it is a midnight screening not because the rating. You don't take a 6 month old anywhere at that time of night unless that child is having an emergency. 

As far as ratings go  IDGAF how someone raises their child as long as it is not endangering them. 
Time of the movie was one thing...

But Batman is wild inappropriate for young kids.  A 6 year old was shot and killed and the dude that ran out of the theater on his family left a 6 mo. old and a 4 year old behind. 

Let's say under 6.

But Batman is wild inappropriate for young kids.  A 6 year old was shot and killed and the dude that ran out of the theater on his family left a 6 mo. old and a 4 year old behind. 

Honestly I cannot think of a thing thats appropriate for an 8 year old to see in that movie. Avengers=maybe, TDKR=hell no

Let's say under 6.

I dont think its wildly inappropriate. I mean, toy makers do make action figures for kids. So chances are, they are assuming that kids are going to see the movie. Also, if TDKR wouldve come out in the 90's, there would be happy meal toys etc. Its just that happy meals dont really do the whole big action movie/ toy thing much anymore

Would you do it with your own kids?

It would depend on the movie and the maturity level of my child. If he/she was the walking tape recorder type, I wouldn't do it.

Why is it "wild inappropriate" there is no blood or gore. The fight scenes aren't extremely violent.  To me Shrek is way worse of a movie for young kids to watch than TDKR. All the sexual innuendo is blatant and that is a kids movie.

Last edited:
Ok, 6 is ok...youre old enough(should be) at that age to know how to hush up.
But for 12am showings, nah. its not that srs

It's not the fact that parents let their young children see these types of movies, under their super vision. It's more of how they don't fully make sure their child understands that it's just a movie and to never reenact or take seriously.

Personally, as long as they're quiet, I couldn't care less. I don't have kids so what gives me the right to tell someone how to raise theirs.

Why is "wild inappropriate" there is no blood or gore. The fight scenes are aren't extremely violent.  To me Shrek is way worse of a movie for young kids to watch than TDKR. All the sexual innuendo is blatant and that is a kids movie.

I would tend to agree. Cartoons, now-a-days, are visually for the children, but verbally for the adults accompanying them.

Why is it "wild inappropriate" there is no blood or gore. The fight scenes aren't extremely violent.  To me Shrek is way worse of a movie for young kids to watch than TDKR. All the sexual innuendo is blatant and that is a kids movie.
So, TDKR is an age-appropriate movie for a 6 year old (or under) to watch because there is no blood or gore?  We'll ignore the violence though. 

I remember watching many a rated R movie when I was a kid. Occasionally there'd be something that I wasn't allowed to watch, like Scarface I didn't see that until I was in my teens but it came out when I was 3, but the over the top action movies I'd see with my dad. My only gripes at the movies are when parents bring their toddler in and the baby starts crying about 15 minutes into the movie and the parent doesn't see any need to at least go into the lobby until the baby quiets down.

So, TDKR is an age-appropriate movie for a 6 year old (or under) to watch because there is no blood or gore?  We'll ignore the violence though. 
Why is it inappropriate??? I doubt most kids have the mental capacity to even remotely know what is actually happening.

Why is it inappropriate??? I doubt most kids have the mental capacity to even remotely know what is actually happening.
You don't think kids are cognizant of their surroundings?  C'mon man.  Children are a lot smarter than you think.  Just because YOU think they aren't aware of what's being shown on the screen, they are soaking it all in. 

As I said before, even without blood/gore there is nothing appropriate in TDKR for a young child. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom