On a game show......

ok im lost..if he had a 1/3 chance before, and one door was shown how does he have a 2/3 chance now? it should be 1/2....im missing something here

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Watch the lecture scene of the movie 21.
was gunna post this.� that movie is too
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAir45

Originally Posted by And I Love It

It is to your advantage to switch.

By switching you have a 2/3 chance to win, otherwise by staying just a 1/3 chance.

That makes no sense. Can u explain that please? Because now u just have 1/2 chance being right and 1/2 chance being wrong. So there's no advantage to switch

For sure. Slash these pictures basically sum it up. Because when you first choose.. each door has a 1/3 chance of being the correct door. So if you got to pick those other two doors together (door 2 and 3) you would have a 2/3 chance. But since the guy takes one out, only one of those doors is left to choose but it still has the same probability. Now when you get to change your door choice after your initial selection its saying that you are essentially choosing both those doors.. just one of them have already been open.. leaving the other with the 2/3 probability still. 
pimp.gif

Edit: Darn pictures with black text cant be seen on NT ha. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monty_closed_doors.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monty_open_door_chances.svg

Make sense?

Originally Posted by NikeAir45

Originally Posted by And I Love It

It is to your advantage to switch.

By switching you have a 2/3 chance to win, otherwise by staying just a 1/3 chance.

That makes no sense. Can u explain that please? Because now u just have 1/2 chance being right and 1/2 chance being wrong. So there's no advantage to switch

For sure. Slash these pictures basically sum it up. Because when you first choose.. each door has a 1/3 chance of being the correct door. So if you got to pick those other two doors together (door 2 and 3) you would have a 2/3 chance. But since the guy takes one out, only one of those doors is left to choose but it still has the same probability. Now when you get to change your door choice after your initial selection its saying that you are essentially choosing both those doors.. just one of them have already been open.. leaving the other with the 2/3 probability still. 
pimp.gif

Edit: Darn pictures with black text cant be seen on NT ha. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monty_closed_doors.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monty_open_door_chances.svg

Make sense?

So lemme get this straight? Behind one door is a car, the other a goat and the third is nothing?

Then I am told which door the goat is behind?

I would definitely switch. I would pick the one with the goat. I rather be guaranteed a goat than a 66.67% chance at a car.

Originally Posted by J23S

Nope always stick with your first choice.
alright bro

Spoiler [+]
funny-pictures-goat-gives-peace-sign_max600.jpg

Spoiler [+]
pacer.jpg

Spoiler [+]
funny_goat.jpg

alright bro

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
pacer.jpg

Spoiler [+]
funny_goat.jpg

So lemme get this straight? Behind one door is a car, the other a goat and the third is nothing?

I would definitely switch. I would pick the one with the goat. I rather be guaranteed a goat than a 66.67% chance at a car.

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

alright bro

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
pacer.jpg

Spoiler [+]
funny_goat.jpg

Not even sure why this is so funny 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

alright bro

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
pacer.jpg

Spoiler [+]
funny_goat.jpg

Not even sure why this is so funny 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by WhIpwReCkEr

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

no. two doors have goats behind them

no. two doors have goats behind them

You switch. Monty Hall Problem. Not a brainteaser anymore, been solved and explained time and time again.

You switch. Monty Hall Problem. Not a brainteaser anymore, been solved and explained time and time again.

Originally Posted by neukicks

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of threedoors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick adoor, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opensanother door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do youwant to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

i see others have said you took this from the movie 21...carry on

Originally Posted by neukicks

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of threedoors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick adoor, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opensanother door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do youwant to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

i see others have said you took this from the movie 21...carry on

why would i switch my answer?

i picked door 1 out of the 3 doors..... so if they say door #3 is a goat.... now i can change it between #1 and #2.... im going to stick with #1. i dont wanna be like damn i should've kept my answer.

i picked door 1 out of the 3 doors..... so if they say door #3 is a goat.... now i can change it between #1 and #2.... im going to stick with #1. i dont wanna be like damn i should've kept my answer.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

say i had 100 doors. you chose one. your odds are 1/100.
the odds of the others having the car is 99/100
i open 98 other doors WITH GOATS. i leave one closed. (keep in mind i know which door has a car in it)

are you STILL GOING TO STICK WITH THE ORIGINAL DOOR? or switch for the one i mysteriously left closed.

same concept, just bigger scale.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

say i had 100 doors. you chose one. your odds are 1/100.
the odds of the others having the car is 99/100
i open 98 other doors WITH GOATS. i leave one closed. (keep in mind i know which door has a car in it)

are you STILL GOING TO STICK WITH THE ORIGINAL DOOR? or switch for the one i mysteriously left closed.

same concept, just bigger scale.

Back
Top Bottom