OK, what exacty is the convenience of the drive-thru window at a fast food joint?

Drove by a McDonald's this morning and there was a line at the drive-thru that was about 10+ cars deep. I can understand if you got kids and don't want the hassle of taking them out of the car seat only to buckle them back in a few minutes later....but I can't see how going inside wouldn't be a much faster option than sitting in your car waiting for someone to hear your order.

Fast food heads, what gives?

I'll always choose walking in over drive-thru, but it seems like the staff usually prefers a longer line at the drive-in because it's easier to control a line of cars that hits the drive-thru one at a time as opposed to a line of visible, disgruntled humans at the counter.

Either way it's all uncomfortable to me. 

When i take long trips....like two hours +
I only wear draws.
Its very convenient.

And also if i just :smokin and got the munchies...id rather stay in the ride.

I almost always go inside. I don't like to feel pressured when I'm making my order.

I think when people smoke they just don't wanna go in... not that there's much of a risk I suppose, but it's just more of a safety blanket to roll on through the drive-thru.

A lot of it is pure laziness for people.

Others think by the time they park, get out of their car, walk inside, wait for maybe one person ahead of them to get done saying their order... well, you would have been at the first window already.

For me it comes down to gas consumption. As someone who is going to be sick this summer when Premium gas prices rise, i'll share some information that helps me make my decision. If you idle your car for 10 seconds or more it uses more gas than shutting off and then restarting your car. You don't get any miles to the gallon to just idling so in most cases I just shut off my car and go inside. Now if I have to return a movie at Rebox and there is an open space in front of the machine, with no one in line, I just hop out with the car running real quick. But if you have time constraints, walking aides, or kids im sure gas usage in the last time you are thinking of lol. 

Drive-thru will get priority at most places, so unless the line is absurdly long, you'll get your food faster drive-thru than going in.

And it's simply more convenient... you wait in your car over having to walk in and wait inside. 

Last edited:
I am with JJ. I have always thought Drive Thru's were a longer experience especially when there is a long line there. Seems to take a while.

And I don't know about drive thru's having priority. WHat gives you that impression J?

i only go through the drive through if i dont feel like getting outside the car

find a parking spot
park
walk outside
stand in line for like 10mins

vs

pullin up in da drive thru and havin ur music on while you wait :pimp:

tl;dr

we lazy out chea :pimp:

Last edited:
People are less likely to stop and eat if the line is wrapped around the building, which would give reason to focus on drive-thru over in-store. People during rush hours, morning, lunch, dinner, are more willing to stop if they think they could get in and out quickly. If the line is backing to the street, then they likely won't stop. 

Plus it's just personal experience. On average when I would go in to a fast food place, by the time I wait for the couple people ahead of me, place my order, get my food, I see at least 4-5 orders go to drive-thru ahead of me. 

Usually go in when I'm by myself cause I think its a waste of gas to use the drive-thru. If someone else is with me, I'll go through the drive through tho.

what do you mean? you gotta park, get out, stand in line, order, wait standing up, walk out, get back in your car, etc, etc

drive thru is easier but it does take a bit at times

If I'm eating fast food it's usually at night so lines aren't bad at all. One time I just got out of the shower and went in a bathrobe :lol: . But I don't know how some people can eat fast food first thing in the morning.

People are less likely to stop and eat if the line is wrapped around the building, which would give reason to focus on drive-thru over in-store. People during rush hours, morning, lunch, dinner, are more willing to stop if they think they could get in and out quickly. If the line is backing to the street, then they likely won't stop. 
:lol: What establishments are we talking about with lines wrapped around the building.

what do you mean? you gotta park, get out, stand in line, order, wait standing up, walk out, get back in your car, etc, etc

drive thru is easier but it does take a bit at times
Right he said it as if all of that is a 5 min process. :lol:

Imagine all fast food places not having drive thru lanes.

There's your convenience.
What the hell kinda point is that? :lol:

Last edited:
I think it honestly depends on what place it is and the location/employees as well how busy that spot is in general

The Taco Bell by my crib is always at least 10 cars deep when I roll by unless it's middle of the day or something :smh: :x

The Jack in the Box I go to is never more than 2 cars deep and the service is fast enough to where it really is more convenient to use the drive-thru than park and go inside but the Jack in the Box by my old crib back in the day was terrible with the drive-thru service; there'd be normal amount of cars there but each order would seemingly take at least 5 min for every car to get through :stoneface:

Last edited:
I'm talking about drive-thru lines wrapped around the building. You've never seen a McDonalds with 8+ cars waiting?

I read what you said wrong. I thought you were talking about the walk-in line being wrapped around the building. That is why I was like WTF???????? :lol:

But I don't think there is MORE of a focus to keep the drive thru line down vs. keeping the in house line down.

I don't think there is really a balancing act there. Meaning I don't think the in-house resources are taken away because the drive thru is being attended to.

But I generally see longer drive thru lines than in house.

I think so many people have the lazy mentality that it makes the drive thru a longer wait.

Imagine all fast food places not having drive thru lanes.

There's your convenience.

Back
Top Bottom