Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Y'all might have discussed this already and if so, point me in the right direction.. Did CP or Chester give thoughts on the rumored Star Wars sequel plot lines?

Dirk, are you referring to the Twins rumor from yesterday?

If so, read thru the thread that Big J posted, I've typed a couple words in there...... :lol:

If you need anything more specific, let me know, I'll be glad to help.

But I agree, that "rumor" sounds a lot like the stuff from the books, which could be a scent throw off. All that talk about "not the books, not the books" only to follow the books exactly, would see odd to me. So that could be people just makin **** up. Once we get a CONFIRMED name casted, then we'll know where their heads are at, and where we're headed.

just throwing this here because i took improv with the white girl and it's decent 5 minute vid if you're bored. her best friend was the one with the jewfro'd boyfriend on glee that i crushed on hard last year if anyone remembers.

!

Last edited:
This would be so tragic...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry
2:55 PM PDT 6/12/2013 by Paul Bond

George Lucas echoed Spielberg's sentiments at an event touting the opening of a new USC School of Cinematic Arts building, saying big changes are in store.

Steven Spielberg on Wednesday predicted an "implosion" in the film industry is inevitable, whereby a half dozen or so $250 million movies flop at the box office and alter the industry forever. What comes next -- or even before then -- will be price variances at movie theaters, where "you're gonna have to pay $25 for the next Iron Man, you're probably only going to have to pay $7 to see Lincoln." He also said that Lincoln came "this close" to being an HBO movie instead of a theatrical release.

George Lucas agreed that massive changes are afoot, including film exhibition morphing somewhat into a Broadway play model, whereby fewer movies are released, they stay in theaters for a year and ticket prices are much higher. His prediction prompted Spielberg to recall that his 1982 film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial stayed in theaters for a year and four months.

The two legendary filmmakers, along with CNBC anchor Julia Boorstin and Microsoft president of interactive entertainment business Don Mattrick, were speaking at the University of Southern California as part of the festivities surrounding the official opening of the Interactive Media Building, three stories high and part of the USC School of Cinematic Arts.

Lucas and Spielberg told USC students that they are learning about the industry at an extraordinary time of upheaval, where even proven talents find it difficult to get movies into theaters. Some ideas from young filmmakers "are too fringe-y for the movies," Spielberg said. "That's the big danger, and there's eventually going to be an implosion — or a big meltdown. There's going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen megabudget movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that's going to change the paradigm."

Lucas lamented the high cost of marketing movies and the urge to make them for the masses while ignoring niche audiences. He called cable television "much more adventurous" than film nowadays.

"I think eventually the Lincolns will go away and they're going to be on television," Lucas said. "As mine almost was," Spielberg interjected. "This close -- ask HBO -- this close."

"We're talking Lincoln and Red Tails -- we barely got them into theaters. You're talking about Steven Spielberg and George Lucas can't get their movie into a theater," Lucas said. "I got more people into Lincoln than you got into Red Tails," Spielberg joked.

Spielberg added that he had to co-own his own studio in order to get Lincoln into theaters.

"The pathway to get into theaters is really getting smaller and smaller," Lucas said.

Mattrick and Spielberg also praised Netflix, prompting Boorstin to ask Spielberg if he planned to make original content for the Internet streamer. "I have nothing to announce," said the director.

Lucas and Spielberg also spoke of vast differences between filmmaking and video games because the latter hasn't been able to tell stories and make consumers care about the characters. Which isn't to say the two worlds aren't connected. Spielberg, in fact, has teamed with Microsoft to make a "TV" show for Xbox 360 based on the game Halo and he is making a movie based on the Electronic Arts game Need for Speed.

Anyone in here check out The Internship? I read one review that was bad, but it's not necessarily the kind of movie that I'd give a whole lot of weight to what critics say about it.

Why on God's green earth is there going to be a Terminator 5?

Maybe cuz Arnold lost his day job? :lol:
I heard he mentioned January Jones being involved. That'll help. :rofl:

I dunno about that doom and gloom vision of Lucas and Spiel. Eh. Movies are expensive, sure, and there are a million more outlets to release stuff, but there is also WAY more movies that come out today, vs when they were in business.
Certainly movies will ebb and flow, take hits here and there, but overall it's not like Hollywood is going to dry up and no movies will ever come out. It just needs an updated business model. Some stuff has to get scaled back, so other areas can ramp up. Like Marketing shouldn't be pushed so heavy. Let the movies sell themselves. Then you don't have to spend tons and tons on marketing.
Get the actors/actresses costs under control better. Writers/directors, etc.
I'm sorry, no actor needs 50 million to do one picture. If that's the market, fix the market. I know that's easier said than done, but it can happen.

I think some sort of reform is easier to see than a complete collapse of movies as a whole.

I'd look the other way, like say, in 10 years, you can watch a movie on its opening night from your own home. Then theatres would need to get cheaper, things like that.

If I have to pay 50 bucks for a movie/popcorn/soda at a theatre, but can pay 50 and watch from home without 500 strangers and no lines, I'd do that instead.

There's lots of stuff that can happen, I don't collapse is really that big of a threat.

Why on God's green earth is there going to be a Terminator 5?

Maybe cuz Arnold lost his day job? :lol:
I heard he mentioned January Jones being involved. That'll help. :rofl:

I dunno about that doom and gloom vision of Lucas and Spiel. Eh. Movies are expensive, sure, and there are a million more outlets to release stuff, but there is also WAY more movies that come out today, vs when they were in business.
Certainly movies will ebb and flow, take hits here and there, but overall it's not like Hollywood is going to dry up and no movies will ever come out. It just needs an updated business model. Some stuff has to get scaled back, so other areas can ramp up. Like Marketing shouldn't be pushed so heavy. Let the movies sell themselves. Then you don't have to spend tons and tons on marketing.
Get the actors/actresses costs under control better. Writers/directors, etc.
I'm sorry, no actor needs 50 million to do one picture. If that's the market, fix the market. I know that's easier said than done, but it can happen.

I think some sort of reform is easier to see than a complete collapse of movies as a whole.

I'd look the other way, like say, in 10 years, you can watch a movie on its opening night from your own home. Then theatres would need to get cheaper, things like that.

If I have to pay 50 bucks for a movie/popcorn/soda at a theatre, but can pay 50 and watch from home without 500 strangers and no lines, I'd do that instead.

There's lots of stuff that can happen, I don't collapse is really that big of a threat.

Good point. Arnold needs another job. He can do old man action all he wants but Terminator? We left that in the 80's but that's Hollywood. I agree about marketing movies. Why spend so much money pushing crappy movies like White House Down and Grownups and such during the NBA finals? Nobody cares and they're gonna bomb anyway :lol:, I guess studios like burning money like that. But it's just the marketing model of today, hype-not the actual product, sells everything from movies, to video games, to shoes. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
My mom and brother both like it a lot. Whatever that's worth :lol:

Saw Warm Bodies and loved it. Although I kept hoping Teresa Palmer would turn into Amber Heard, she was still great as was Hoult and Corddry. Funny, well-acted, surprisingly genuine in their romance, and just an well made, entertaining movie.

Definitely worth a rental.

Anyone seen the BBC show Copper?
I've tried watching it a few times, just couldn't stay interested, same with Ripper Street.

zombie heads should check out the show In the Flesh, I guess it's a more dramatic version of Warm Bodies haven't seen that yet

got picked up for a second season, the first one is only a 3 episode mini-series

I posted the trailer for this doc (The House I Live In) back on page 759. Just watched it again. I was as riveted to the screen as I was the first time. The ability to embed the click was disabled but I wanted to share a clip from this movie.

It was the great & simplest explanation of our so called "elected officials" & how the prison system & the war on drugs is a for profit industry I've heard so far at the 2:30 mark. I encourage anyone who likes to be socially aware to watch this doc.

Anyone seen the BBC show Copper?
I've tried watching it a few times, just couldn't stay interested, same with Ripper Street.
Yeah I'd say the same (except I've never watched Ripper Street). I'd say it's similar to Hell On Wheels and not just cuz it's in the same time period. Main characters are almost identical in motives, similar black guy partners as well. I got like 5 eps in and just stopped. I'll finish the season at some point, determine if I want to peep the 2nd.

i think i just heard jd groan in his grave. dude was my favorite writer and as much as I crap on Catcher and Holden for being labeled this obscenely amazing piece of God's flesh, that novel, along with his lesser known works, really molded my writing style early on. will watch this documentary, but i'll feel bad for doing so.

Anyone in here check out The Internship? I read one review that was bad, but it's not necessarily the kind of movie that I'd give a whole lot of weight to what critics say about it.

I was pretty good...way funnier then I expected it to be

anyone seen 'this is the end'? heard some great things about it.

There's a thread about it, should be on the first page and it seems like everyone loved it. I'll be seeing it but Man of Steel takes priority.

Back
Top Bottom