OG VS. The Retro Vol. They are NOT the same !!

Originally Posted by El Bro

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

One day soon I hope someone interviews a Jordan Brand executive, other than Gentry Humphrey, and ask them besides nostalgia what exactly the retros have in common to their OG counterparts...

There are a ton of complaints and questions I feel need justification from this company since we are all passionate about the products..

Why is the quality comparably cheaper then they were years ago?

Why is it so hard to replicate your company's own creation....is it so hard to find an OG model, computerize a scanned version of it, and make slight alterations in preparation for the retro mold?...if not why do the retro's look so dull and uninspired?

How much pride goes into re-creating a special shoe in the Jordan Brand history?

Despite the economy, Jordan Brand seems to still make a huge impact in the shoe market...why have the prices increased then? Are you fully aware that the customers, many of whom have grown up with the brand are frustrated with these issues?

...Seriously someone needs to interrogate these people. I know Gentry Humphrey has been interviewed many times in the past. But the questions are usually very vague and generic...."What can we expect in the near future?" for example....aint nobody wanna hear that...

We need to know about the present...why the quality is as crappy as they are..why retros aren't heralded more with regard to higher standards like it's OG counterparts...

A few slight ommisions is fine when you construct a mold...but his company seems to take that to an extreme...
Pride? LOL! There is no Pride. Just Money. There is no Pride when you compare the CDP IV to the 99 IV, not to mention the OG IV. They seriously cannot look at that shoe in comparison and be proud of it, and anyone that does is an idiot. Thats just one of numerous examples.

Proud of the Shoe- No
Proud of the Shoe because it makes money- Yes

As far as quality goes, they have to make their investors happy, not the collectors. Its saddening but true. Way back when, they looked at the shoes and thought " How do we alter these shoes to use less material, and still look like the originals?" Pleather equals no real leather, which equals more money. Altering the shoe to use less Pleather equals even more money. They know that most of the consumers dont care about shape and quality, and that most collectors realize that nobody is going to go up to your feet and say " Hey, your shoe is 1 inch shorter than the same model 10 years ago. Thats life in Corporate America.

However, for OG Color Retros, I dont know why they dont do a Supreme type Release, charge a premium, and use real leather. Thats why the majority of these shoes look off, is because of the pleather they use.

Its not that they cant make the shoes closer to the original, its that they Choose not to, in favor of a bigger return.
funny story here.

I wont name specific designers but lets just say they feed US, the consumers, a bunch of bull so many times.. A recent non JB release featured a shoe withsynthetic suede and synthetic leather. The designer stated this syn. stuff is new age in durability and he stressed "WEIGHT". He stated it'sstronger, lighter, and more breathable than traditional leathers. translation behind the scenes: "IT"S CHEAPER FORUS and to the average consumer, not much different. or likely, theyd buy regardless". Did he mention comfort? nope. Now I believed him initially.then I got to thinking... I have a postage scale and decided to weigh a normal leather/suede sneaker and compared it to a shoe with a fake upper and thedifference is likely 1-2 ounces. They're taking comfort away for 1-2 ounces of lightness??? They are pushing this stuff onto us and we're believingwhat the designers say.

Bottomline, if the designers "believe" this cheap crap is better for their shoes and truly know that it's not,it's a sad day for us all. Usually its the designer who wants the best, and is brought back down to reality with factory material prices . Nike has gotteninto the heads and minds of these designers. It's game over for us with that train of thought

Originally Posted by Magic1978

Not sure how you can bring up Infrared VI's

If they were a stand alone Jordan, and not a retro, they would get bashed. For the overall look and quality.

They'd get the same attention True Flight's got up here. Heck 16.5's and True Flight's quality is ten times better than a lot of these retros JB puts out.

I pulled out my Fire Red V's the other day and compared them to my V's I got in 2000, and the 2006's feel like fakes.

Forget retroing 20 year old sneakers. JB can't even properly retro sneakers they just put out a few years ago, you can look at the CDP's and see that.

Nice said!

You're exactly rite...I been tryna tell ppl dat 4 yrs!!!

Either accept 'em or don't cop. Plain & Simple, Simple & Plain...

i think they are making the retros with a different material to help make them last longer so they dont fall apart so easily

Originally Posted by CityFly

Word... I Get What Your Tryin To Say I Really Don't Have A Problem With All Retros But It Looks Like JB Put More Work Into Fusions 6 Rings & Etc... Then They Do Retros

Originally Posted by stevesteve72

d e beatup well said I agree 100%
pimp.gif

OP, your thoughts would normally make sense but in the case of shoes, it doesn't

Shoes have MOLDS which means JB is making alternate molds to create retroes and keeping the OG molds in the vault

It's like getting a key made, the mold can only make the shape that's already there

But in JB's case, every key fits and unlocks the door because we keep buying

like i said about the white/red xii's
murdered.....wack.....total execution of execution....and whats with these wack @ss plastic laceholds
they aint foolin me...... like with the pack!

I remember when these dropped, i wigged over the translucent red sole...
Na, I don't know if it was on purpose but it gave it that lil flare.....
plus I was first in my whole school area to get them and the taxi's
a month and a half before they dropped......
and i was a youngbuck in 5th grade....slain!!!!

some OG's will always be better
jb needs some work in the quality dpt. ....

Originally Posted by AIR J XIII

I regret not coming into this post sooner.

If you believe for one minute that JB cant produce an accurate retro, you're a new fool.

Mark my words, a day will come when athletic sneakers arent the "it" form of footwear of urban fashion, the younger generations that never experienced MJ wont be pulled into that mystique(sp?), many of the wannabe sneakerheads buying now that are only interested in be fresh at school will have matured and moved on, and all that will be left are the general public that remember Mike and may buy sneakers from time to time, and those of us true sneakerheads who are in it strictly for the kicks themselves, not anything that comes with them like breaking necks or getting e-fame from a collection post. WHEN this happens, JB wont be able to pull that foolery they do these days. What foolery you ask???

Air Jordan III
1988-$100
1994/5-$100
2001-$100
2003-$100

15 years. All $100. All with GENUINE leather. Is the '94/5 AJIII equal to the '88? Almost, about 98%. The 2001 and 2003 AJIIIs are slightly lessthan the '94/5.

My point here is that up to that point, EVERY AJIII was $100 and even though the retros weren't perfect, they were up to par with the Air Jordan standard and there was nothing to complain about.

enter the foolery...

2007...only 4 years since the last retro III
$125. This wouldn't be so bad if they were up to par quality wise, but the price goes up AND quality goes down??? %*$ is going on here??? The 07 Fire Reds are made of something, but it damn sure isnt leather.

The leather on the 1988-2003 is like a female's inner thigh, soft and supple begging to be caressed, while everything since is like the back of an old lady's heel, all hard and dry.

Just to be clear, I judge quality by the factors that those in power at Nike/JB ARE IN DIRECT CONTROL OF. They decide what leather to buy, what paint to buy,etc. I dont see MJ or Gentry in a factory putting shoes together, so I dont hold them to glue residue and such, that's more of a QC issue. I also am not judging by creasing. Anyone with common sense knows that if you wear a shoe, it will crease no matter good the leather is.

It's some little things that JB does too. Like chrome painted plastic lace loops on retro XIIs instead of metal like the OG. Chrome painted plastic lace tips instead of metal like it started with the OG XIV. The midsoles on the OG IX and XII were DYED to color, not just painted a color like now. So there was no paint to crack because there was no paint on the midsole, IT JUST WAS THAT COLOR.

ere's a pic of the 1990, 2000, and 2007 blk/silver AJV. Without looking at boxes can you spot the 2007???

it's little things like using a less reflecting 3M that make us OG heads upset.

Now I know what some of you newer heads are going to say. "If you dont like them, dont buy them." You are correct, but the problem is we want to buy them. I HAVE NO PROBLEM PUTTING ALL OF MY EXTRA INCOME INTO JORDAN BRAND'S POCKETS. If theyreleased Infrareds that were exact to the 2000 retro, minus the Nike Air, I'd buy an lifetime supply. Am I buying the "varsity red" AJ6 coming out? Hell no, but dont I have the right to be upset and complain because of what could've been? ou all have to understand, its not like us OG heads are spoiled or we dont know how to be satisfied, for 18 years from 85-03, which is longer than some of you are old, therewere no true quality issues to complain about. There wasn't this cult following of "sneakerheads" to buy crap, so Nike/JB had to come correct at all times, and they did. So top notch, great quality Air Jordans, whether OG or retro, was all we knew of.

How could you expect us to have nothing to say when after 18 years of excellent products, then all of a sudden, quality goes south and prices go north?

FYI... for anyone that uses inflation as an excuse for JB.

1991. Air Jordan VI. $125.
2000. Air Jordan VI Retro. $120.

I DOUBLE DOG DARE any of you that tell us we shouldn't complain about prices to come in here and argue this fact.

Okay, Im done.

For now...
QFT! Best post I've read in years.

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

If you believe for one minute that JB cant produce an accurate retro, you're a new fool.

Mark my words, a day will come when athletic sneakers arent the "it" form of footwear of urban fashion, the younger generations that never experienced MJ wont be pulled into that mystique(sp?), many of the wannabe sneakerheads buying now that are only interested in be fresh at school will have matured and moved on, and all that will be left are the general public that remember Mike and may buy sneakers from time to time, and those of us true sneakerheads who are in it strictly for the kicks themselves, not anything that comes with them like breaking necks or getting e-fame from a collection post. WHEN this happens, JB wont be able to pull that foolery they do these days. What foolery you ask???

Air Jordan III
1988-$100
1994/5-$100
2001-$100
2003-$100

15 years. All $100. All with GENUINE leather. Is the '94/5 AJIII equal to the '88? Almost, about 98%. The 2001 and 2003 AJIIIs are slightly lessthan the '94/5.

My point here is that up to that point, EVERY AJIII was $100 and even though the retros weren't perfect, they were up to par with the Air Jordan standard and there was nothing to complain about.

enter the foolery...

$125. This wouldn't be so bad if they were up to par quality wise, but the price goes up AND quality goes down??? %*$ is going on here??? The 07 Fire Reds are made of something, but it damn sure isnt leather.

The leather on the 1988-2003 is like a female's inner thigh, soft and supple begging to be caressed, while everything since is like the back of an old lady's heel, all hard and dry.

Just to be clear, I judge quality by the factors that those in power at Nike/JB ARE IN DIRECT CONTROL OF. They decide what leather to buy, what paint to buy,etc. I dont see MJ or Gentry in a factory putting shoes together, so I dont hold them to glue residue and such, that's more of a QC issue. I also am not judging by creasing. Anyone with common sense knows that if you wear a shoe, it will crease no matter good the leather is.

It's some little things that JB does too. Like chrome painted plastic lace loops on retro XIIs instead of metal like the OG. Chrome painted plastic lace tips instead of metal like it started with the OG XIV. The midsoles on the OG IX and XII were DYED to color, not just painted a color like now. So there was no paint to crack because there was no paint on the midsole, IT JUST WAS THAT COLOR.

ere's a pic of the 1990, 2000, and 2007 blk/silver AJV. Without looking at boxes can you spot the 2007???

Now I know what some of you newer heads are going to say. "If you dont like them, dont buy them." You are correct, but the problem is we want to buy them. I HAVE NO PROBLEM PUTTING ALL OF MY EXTRA INCOME INTO JORDAN BRAND'S POCKETS. If theyreleased Infrareds that were exact to the 2000 retro, minus the Nike Air, I'd buy an lifetime supply. Am I buying the "varsity red" AJ6 coming out? Hell no, but dont I have the right to be upset and complain because of what could've been? ou all have to understand, its not like us OG heads are spoiled or we dont know how to be satisfied, for 18 years from 85-03, which is longer than some of you are old, therewere no true quality issues to complain about. There wasn't this cult following of "sneakerheads" to buy crap, so Nike/JB had to come correct at all times, and they did. So top notch, great quality Air Jordans, whether OG or retro, was all we knew of.

How could you expect us to have nothing to say when after 18 years of excellent products, then all of a sudden, quality goes south and prices go north?

I DOUBLE DOG DARE any of you that tell us we shouldn't complain about prices to come in here and argue this fact.

Okay, Im done.

For now...

Bro! I super agree... but i (and i'm sure u as well) have so many kicks that i don't hardly wear them a lot... I mean it's not like collectorsactually hoop in them... So why does it matter so much... but i do understand with the 06/07 Fire Reds... And most of the countdown pack kicks (ESPECIALLY the11/12s, 8/15, and the 5/18) feel F A K E F A K E F A K E

I know this post is about OG Vs fake, I like a lot of NT members dont own many or maybe any OG or first release retro. Dont get me wrong i and my parents wheni was living with them long,long ago bought many pair of OG and first release retro but i wasnt into taking care of my kicks then so they are all long gone.Back then i didnt really have the eye for good quality so I have to take you guys word for it even though i owned most the OG Js myself. But since i wasnt(amnot besides what I hear) aware of the better quality of shoe that was released back then that makes what we are getting now a little easier to accept for me. Iam a leader not a follower so im not going to complain about something that doesnt bother me just because someone else doesnt like it. The thing that I have aproblem with that is really ruining the sneaker game is all the fakes, variants, and replicas that are watering down the sneaker game. I hope noone in thisforum supports fakes but i guess its a personal choice to buy/wear those so i cant be mad if any of you do.

yea there not the same.. so what... thats how u can tell the difference between ogs and retros

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

Air Jordan III
1988-$100
1994/5-$100
2001-$100
2003-$100

enter the foolery...

Okay, Im done.

For now...
yup, best post in the whole thread
after reading this i get alil annoyed by reading all these "if you dont like then dont buy" comments
i want to buy $150 shoes that feel like $150 shoes, not the same $150 shoes that cost $175 that actually feel like $75 (if that makes any sense)
Originally Posted by PvPWorld

yea there not the same.. so what... thats how u can tell the difference between ogs and retros
thats exactly what JB wants you to think
i dont have a problem with the whole nike air vs jumpman air thing, but what i do have problem is the quality

Only recently has JB been putting out horrible quality.

But, originals are not always better than the retro.

99 IV> OG IV > Recent 4 Retros.

One example, imo of course.

Quality is decreasing, evidently, we all know that. Some of you are just taking it too serious, and need to understand the notion, "don't like,don't buy." Simple as that, because the constant complaining is useless, and so is bashing others who choose to buy.

air j 13 n d e beatup, much respect. good post everyone. budda, have to dissagre. og 4s>retro99s....word up to spike lee.

DaBuddhaWitJays wrote:

Quality is decreasing, evidently, we all know that. Some of you are just taking it too serious, and need to understand the notion, "don't like, don't buy." Simple as that, because the constant complaining is useless, and so is bashing others who choose to buy.
1)
exerpt of my previous post in regard to "dont like, dont buy"

"Now I know what some of you newer heads are going to say. "If you dont like them, dont buy them." You are correct, but the problem is we wantto buy them. I HAVE NO PROBLEM PUTTING ALL OF MY EXTRA INCOME INTO JORDAN BRAND'S POCKETS. If theyreleased Infrareds that were exact to the 2000 retro,minus the Nike Air, I'd buy an lifetime supply. Am I buying the "varsity red" AJ6 coming out? Hell no, but dont I have the right to be upset andcomplain because of what could've been? ou all have to understand, its not like us OG heads are spoiled or we dont know how to be satisfied, for 18 yearsfrom 85-03, which is longer than some of you are old, therewere no true quality issues to complain about. There wasn't this cult following of"sneakerheads" to buy crap, so Nike/JB had to come correct at all times, and they did. So top notch, great quality Air Jordans, whether OG or retro,was all we knew of.

How could you expect us to have nothing to say when after 18 years of excellent products, then all of a sudden, quality goes south and prices go north?"

2) I can only speak for myself. For the record, I DO NOT bash anyone who choses to buy what JB is currently producing, I bash the crap that they are claimingstill has "quality inspired by the greatest player ever," but when "they" come into posts where "I/we" am/are bashing productsand start TRYING to defend the crap they settle for and start saying "quit complaining" and "stop whining", thats when they get mashed up.

a lot of people think bred 11 from CDP AND BRED 11 are the same. the qaulity is way off. i cant stand any shoes after 2007.

Originally Posted by CityFly

Word... I Get What Your Tryin To Say I Really Don't Have A Problem With All Retros But It Looks Like JB Put More Work Into Fusions 6 Rings & Etc... Then They Do Retros
I feel exactly the same way, they are still jordans

What's a "bred 11" ?

Quality sucks now. I've got TEAM JORDANS that were made FAR SUPERIOR to signature models/retros.

CDP XI's were bought because they are my favorite shoes of all time. I took them home tried them on and then set them on a table and just stared at themfor about 5 mins...................I was physically sick to my stomach just looking at them. JB did a HORRIBLE job making them. They were at the post office 36hrs later being shipped to one very unlucky soul.

They need to step up, or step down and just leave the market. This trash has gone on far too long.

Originally Posted by prettymack1989

good point my brother
IM SICK OF U FU**IN GRAVE DIGIN AND THEN YOUR NOT EVEN PUTTING EFFORT INTO THE POSTS ITS SIMPLE SH** LIKE "I AGREE" AND "THATSDOPE" SO YOURE REALLY POST WHORING U NEED TO EITHER BE BANNED OR GO BACK TO ISS

Back
Top Bottom