OG VS. The Retro Vol. They are NOT the same !!

OGs are successful work of art that cannot be copied or imitated that's why we have retro garbage..

I personally don't complain about the quality of the newer retros because I dont like them. Not trying to be a rebel, I just dont like the shoe itself i.e.what model it is. I've pretty much gotten every jordan I want, with the exception of the ones impossible to get without paying an arm and a leg (LaserIV's...etc) But I hate how probably 90% of the people in this forum sit and nitpick every little thing about the shoe and talk it down so much, but comerelease day they are the first to get it. I wear my CDP XI's, for example, and they feel perfectly fine to me. They get looks and I still love them, justas much as I love my Retro XI's.

Originally Posted by Nasty Mane23

I Hate how there coming out with Great Colorways for these Ugly %+% Fusions it is very irritating

This is probably the most irritating thing for me. I know that JB won't make the retro's like the OG's and that's fine with me (except in a fewcases in which the retro is just straight trash i.e. 2010 infrared VI). JB is wasting some rather epic colorways on fusions and hybrids when they would do somuch better on the retro's themselves. It's all for the love of money though.

Originally Posted by El Bro

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

One day soon I hope someone interviews a Jordan Brand executive, other than Gentry Humphrey, and ask them besides nostalgia what exactly the retros have in common to their OG counterparts...

There are a ton of complaints and questions I feel need justification from this company since we are all passionate about the products..

Why is the quality comparably cheaper then they were years ago?

Why is it so hard to replicate your company's own creation....is it so hard to find an OG model, computerize a scanned version of it, and make slight alterations in preparation for the retro mold?...if not why do the retro's look so dull and uninspired?

How much pride goes into re-creating a special shoe in the Jordan Brand history?

Despite the economy, Jordan Brand seems to still make a huge impact in the shoe market...why have the prices increased then? Are you fully aware that the customers, many of whom have grown up with the brand are frustrated with these issues?

...Seriously someone needs to interrogate these people. I know Gentry Humphrey has been interviewed many times in the past. But the questions are usually very vague and generic...."What can we expect in the near future?" for example....aint nobody wanna hear that...

We need to know about the present...why the quality is as crappy as they are..why retros aren't heralded more with regard to higher standards like it's OG counterparts...

A few slight ommisions is fine when you construct a mold...but his company seems to take that to an extreme...
Pride? LOL! There is no Pride. Just Money. There is no Pride when you compare the CDP IV to the 99 IV, not to mention the OG IV. They seriously cannot look at that shoe in comparison and be proud of it, and anyone that does is an idiot. Thats just one of numerous examples.

Proud of the Shoe- No
Proud of the Shoe because it makes money- Yes

As far as quality goes, they have to make their investors happy, not the collectors. Its saddening but true. Way back when, they looked at the shoes and thought " How do we alter these shoes to use less material, and still look like the originals?" Pleather equals no real leather, which equals more money. Altering the shoe to use less Pleather equals even more money. They know that most of the consumers dont care about shape and quality, and that most collectors realize that nobody is going to go up to your feet and say " Hey, your shoe is 1 inch shorter than the same model 10 years ago. Thats life in Corporate America.

However, for OG Color Retros, I dont know why they dont do a Supreme type Release, charge a premium, and use real leather. Thats why the majority of these shoes look off, is because of the pleather they use.

Its not that they cant make the shoes closer to the original, its that they Choose not to, in favor of a bigger return.

i agree...

Originally Posted by GreyScaleMethod

Originally Posted by Nasty Mane23

I Hate how there coming out with Great Colorways for these Ugly %+% Fusions it is very irritating

This is probably the most irritating thing for me. I know that JB won't make the retro's like the OG's and that's fine with me (except in a few cases in which the retro is just straight trash i.e. 2010 infrared VI). JB is wasting some rather epic colorways on fusions and hybrids when they would do so much better on the retro's themselves. It's all for the love of money though.

The Brand is banking on people buying the fusions with classic colorways and then later releasing the actual model with the classic colorway. They know mostwill get both. They are using this same method, I believe, with this varsity red VI that is releasing in 2010...they can crap out this colorway, people willbe like, "this is as close as I will get to infrareds" and cop them. In a few years they can release a black and infrared VI with better materialsin limited quantities and cause hysteria. Those people who copped the varsity reds will be in line for those too.

retros are not an enhancement of the og. it seems that the recent retros have taken 3 steps back in quality and shape, and there raising the prices. jb isbasicley bending us over for about 150 in profit for each space jam there going to sell (just a guess not sure how much it costs to make an 11).

Originally Posted by DMoney82

First of of all do you guys realize that it is hard as hell to get the colors and materials down to the exact science 20 years later. Retros are an enhancement of the OG version. How in the hell can you make an exact copy of something when you no longer use the same materials, colors ect. you did 20 years ago? I hate when people think that a retro and an OG are and should be the same. An OG can't be a retro and a retro can't be an OG. There are gonna be a few different changes and details in a retro. Even with all of our technology today, it is hard to make a carbon copy of a 69' Mustang in 2009. Do you get what I'm saying?

Accept and respect the retro.......

There is a difference between the retro and and altered version of an OG as such as the Infrared 6's soon to be released. So you can't confuse the two.

Input is appreciated.

First, you need to take an english class.

Second, people aren't neccessarily hating on ALL retros. The 1994 retros of the 1's and 3's were pretty damn similar to the originals. Evenfurther, the 1999 retro iv's, the 2000-2001 retro vi's and xi's were very very similar to the originals. How were they able to retro the 1's10 years later in 1994 and do a fantastic job, and the vi's 9 years later in 2000, but they aren't able to properly "retro" the xxii in theCDP 2 years after the original release? That's where I, and most other people have a problem accepting the extreme dissmiliarities between the retros andthe originals. That, and the retros are almost indistinguishable between fakes...

01 concord,infra reds 03white cements good retros. 07 fire red 3s worst retro quality wise. and throw in the cdp 11s

the problem is when leather turns to tumbled leather...

or nubuck turns to suede...

or NIKE AIR turns into a Jumpman (AIR)

or worse yet... when an OG AIR JORDAN turns into.... A FUSION!!!!!!!!

the problem is when leather turns to tumbled leather...

or nubuck turns to suede...

or NIKE AIR turns into a Jumpman (AIR)

or worse yet... when an OG AIR JORDAN turns into.... A FUSION!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by JLking

Originally Posted by CityFly

Word... I Get What Your Tryin To Say I Really Don't Have A Problem With All Retros But It Looks Like JB Put More Work Into Fusions 6 Rings & Etc... Then They Do Retros
co-sign

o ditto

u do have a point there/
i say as long as its very close, like how the dmp 11s where close to the 00-01, 11s

Why do some JHeads out there feel that JB should cater to their every need. Example-make an OG that doesn't crease. Example 2-Make every Jordan they missedout on and Example 3-Make the price cheaper so they can cop more. Can someone give me some insight on this please?

Edit-If you guys don't want creases on your J's I suggest you get some wearableshoetrees. I've had my Artic 8s for over a year and they are barelycreased.

Originally Posted by DMoney82

First of of all do you guys realize that it is hard as hell to get the colors and materials down to the exact science 20 years later. Retros are an [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]enhancement[/color] of the OG version.
bam. that's the problem right there. you said they should be an enhancement. enhancement meaning making them better. nothing is better aboutthe recent fleet of retros. they use cheaper materials, crappier molds, and higher prices than their predecessors. there's really no way you can spin thebrands effort(or lack of) on retros into a positive on this one.

you guys can make all the threads u want about this and complain all u want
bottom line is, the quality is crap and prices go up. jordan is making a killing
you know why? CUZ HE CAN! 90% of the people that sit here and complain
about the crappy quality are the first ones to go to the stores n make sure
they sell out before release day is over. as long as they sell, they will be made.
no need for jordan to increase the costs with better OG grade materials when
they will still sell with the crap materials they use now

solution? STOP BUYING THEM! and quit crying

^^^ my point exactly. if you dont like the product, dont buy them. dont fall to JBs trap and just buy whatever they put out. JB can do whatever they want andas long as people are buying, they will keep producing crap. it has to start with us consumers.

get it kids?

i hear what your saying but I think most people take issue with the disparity of quality from then to now. you'd figure with the new technology andmaterials we have today the shoes should actually be made with better quality, but its the opposite. I think quality of material the issue along withoutrageous prices.

I regret not coming into this post sooner.

If you believe for one minute that JB cant produce an accurate retro, you're a new fool.

Mark my words, a day will come when athletic sneakers arent the "it" form of footwear of urban fashion, the younger generations that neverexperienced MJ wont be pulled into that mystique that many of the wannabe sneakerheads buying now are, and that are only interested in be fresh at school. Theywill have matured and moved on, and all that will be left are the general public that remember Mike and may buy sneakers from time to time, and those of ustrue sneakerheads who are in it strictly for the kicks themselves, not anything that comes with them like breaking necks or getting e-fame from a collectionpost. WHEN this happens, JB wont be able to pull that foolery they do these days. What foolery you ask???

Air Jordan III
1988-$100
1994/5-$100
2001-$100
2003-$100

15 years. All $100. All with GENUINE leather. Is the '94/5 AJIII equal to the '88? Almost, about 98%, and the 2001 and 2003 AJIIIs are only slightlyless than the '94/5.

My point here is that up to that point, EVERY AJIII was $100 and even though the retros weren't perfect, they were up to par with the Air Jordan standardand there was nothing to complain about.

enter the foolery...

2007...only 4 years since the last retro III
$125. This wouldn't be so bad if they were up to par quality wise, but the price goes up AND quality goes down??? #+* is going on here??? The 07 Fire Redsare made of something, but it damn sure isnt leather.

The leather on the 1988-2003 is like a female's inner thigh, soft and supple begging to be caressed, while everything since is like the back of an oldlady's heel, all hard and dry.

Just to be clear, I judge quality by the factors that those in power at Nike/JB ARE IN DIRECT CONTROL OF. They decide what leather to buy, what paint tobuy,etc. I dont see MJ or Gentry in a factory putting shoes together, so I dont hold them to glue residue and such, that's more of a QC issue. I also amnot judging by creasing. Anyone with common sense knows that if you wear a shoe, it will crease no matter good the leather is.

It's some little things that JB does too. Like chrome painted plastic lace loops on retro XIIs instead of metal like the OG. Chrome painted plastic lacetips instead of metal like it started with the OG XIV. The midsoles on the OG IX and XII were DYED to color, not just painted a color like now. So there was nopaint to crack because there was no paint on the midsole, IT JUST WAS THAT COLOR.

Here's a pic of the 1990, 2000, and 2007 blk/silver AJV. Without looking at boxes can you spot the 2007???

it's little things like using a less reflecting 3M that make us OG heads upset.

Now I know what some of you newer heads are going to say. "If you dont like them, dont buy them." You are correct, but the problem is we want to buythem. I HAVE NO PROBLEM PUTTING ALL OF MY EXTRA INCOME INTO JORDAN BRAND'S POCKETS. If they released Infrareds that were exact to the 2000 retro, minus theNike Air, I'd buy a lifetime supply. Am I buying the "varsity red" AJ6 coming out? Hell no, but dont I have the right to be upset and complainbecause of what could've been? You all have to understand, its not like us OG heads are spoiled or we dont know how to be satisfied, for 18 years from85-03, which is longer than some of you are old, there were no true quality issues to complain about. There wasn't this cult following of"sneakerheads" to buy crap, so Nike/JB had to come correct at all times, and they did. So top notch, great quality Air Jordans, whether OG or retro,was all we knew of.

How could you expect us to have nothing to say when after 18 years of excellent products, then all of a sudden, quality goes south and prices go north?

FYI... for anyone that uses inflation as an excuse for JB.

1991. Air Jordan VI. $125.
2000. Air Jordan VI Retro. $120.

I DOUBLE DOG DARE any of you that tell us we shouldn't complain about prices to come in here and argue this fact.

Okay, Im done.

For now...

Back
Top Bottom