Officially Cutting the Cord: Cancelling Cable Vol. Hulu Plus v. NetFlix

I did this last year and had a loophole that still gave me cable...

But in my new apartment, the loophole was closed...

Still dont have cable... I miss a fee games but I'm always so busy so I rarely have time to catch them anyway ...

For sports, find a friend that has att uverse, Verizon, time earner, and log into the watch ESPN app...

For NFL, you can find the redzone channel streaming in many places....

I used to get free tv, internet, and phone through my old job.

Since I left, I pay $30 a month for 50mb/20 internet and I got HULU and NETFLIX streaming through my XBOX live which I pay $1 a month for.

Im a sports addict ( bball, football, boxing) so I got sites I got to for any sporting event any country ( fly catching in Cambodia included) for free. Free ESPN, E2, NFLNet, NBATV, everysporting network and I plug the laptop to the 40 inch tv via hdmi for full effect.

Netflix mostly for movies. Hulu mostly for current and older shows. All in all I pay $47 per month (564 pr year) for only the entertainment I care about. And it feels liberating. ( specially slim to no commercials)

And that is how im livin NTalk...

(also got hd sites to watch the latest eps and seasons of Boardwalk Empire, and other Premium cable shows- SOA, Break Bad, etc...I don't wait on Netflix to get em.)

Last edited:
It's just pricing strategy. Just like McDonalds charges $4 for a sandwich but for $5 you can get a sandwich, drink and fries.

I know it's a pricing strategy, I'm asking how do you folks get around it? What internet providers are you using that don't price their bundled products in such a way? I don't even care about TV anymore and want to shelf this $160 cable/internet/phone/dvr bill but can't find a high speed internet provider that makes the switch seem worth it.

I used to get free tv, internet, and phone through my old job.

Since I left, I pay $30 a month for 50mb/20 internet and I got HULU and NETFLIX streaming through my XBOX live which I pay $1 a month for.

Im a sports addict ( bball, football, boxing) so I got sites I got to for any sporting event any country ( fly catching in Cambodia included) for free. Free ESPN, E2, NFLNet, NBATV, everysporting network and I plug the laptop to the 40 inch tv via hdmi for full effect.

Netflix mostly for movies. Hulu mostly for current and older shows. All in all I pay $47 per month (564 pr year) for only the entertainment I care about. And it feels liberating. ( specially slim to no commercials)

And that is how im livin NTalk...

(also got hd sites to watch the latest eps and seasons of Boardwalk Empire, and other Premium cable shows- SOA, Break Bad, etc...I don't wait on Netflix to get em.)

Oh so you're not really here to offer any insight, just to brag? That's not helpful at all.

been off cable three years, now i watch everything i want from sports streaming and tv movie sites, HDMI cable x my Projector is clutch. currently watching spurs/grizz as i type. 30 dollars a month vs 100
for a sports HBO package.

as long as you know how to hook your laptop up to your TV, you're good to go there's always a link floating around and buy league pass for sports

I've moved into my apt with NO cable 4 months ago and got a Jailbroken Apple TV instead. BEST decision I've made. All the sports I want, all the movies, shows, even LIVE TV AND PRON! PPV's too!! For free basically other than buying the device it's self. As Long as you have a good Internet connection you should be good. I really really recommend it. Also get a digital tv tuner so you can watch all your local channels in HD!!
Actually the purpose of jailbreaking the Apple TV is to allow it to run XBMC which is the program that does all the magic. Since the new Apple TVs are NOT able to be jailbroken and the old ones are getting pricey a far simpler thing to do is simply run XBMC on a computer, it runs on Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, and Macs.

Google or Youtube searches for XBMC + 3rd party add-ons will get you where you need to be.

I set up a Home Theater PC over a year ago and I haven't missed anything I've wanted to watch.

^ buy one on craiglist like I did. Or buy a 1st or 2nd gen that's not jailbroken and do it yourself. Gotta buy it used tho cause only 3rd gen is in stores and you can't jailbreak that one

Can you record things with a apple TV?

Yeah... I been that route and haven't missed TV since. I'm actually finding better stuff to watch on regular TV that I didn't know was there and filling in the blanks with stuff like MTV.com for the Real World episodes, etc.

Oh so you're not really here to offer any insight, just to brag? That's not helpful at all.

You call it bragging, I call it showing that getting off the grid can be done and liberating at the same time. Can't openly share anything remotely illegal, so no, I wont take the bait. (this line is tapped)

But, you wont see me with a carrier until that a la carte dream is a reality, which I think is on the horizon. Everyone is pissed at cable, the internet is expanding by the second, and tv carriers have yet to adjust but will soon be forced to due to alternatives. stay thirsty my friends.

Last edited:
Cutting the cord as soon as the NBA season is over. I plan in just not watching TV in general. Might pay for Aereo for the DVR feature.

Netflix shows a bunch of stuff I dont want to see. It used to be good but it basically sucks now. You can check what's available on Netflix at http://instantwatcher.com

You guys must be good at finding sites or have friends that recommend good ones. Whenever I try to find places for streaming I usually just find crap. If I do find a good one it gets shut down.

if it wasn't for live sports I'd be all about cutting the cord. Sports is the ONLY thing keeping cable companies afloat. That's why ESPN charges cable companies 3x what the nearest cable channel does. The day theres a box that broadcasts live sports a rap for cable companies bruh, Imagine an ESPN box for $10/month :x

I personally have cable as well as hulu plus and netflix. They are some shows I still watch on tv and when my girl comes over she watches that bet show the game which is not even on netflix or hulu so I have all three. If anybody is interested in prepaid 1 year subs to hulu plus or netflix lmk. 

I mentioned this last week, but I know a professor who said he stopped watching TV back in 2000.

He said he took all the TV's out of his house, and never looked back. 

Back
Top Bottom