:::[Official]World Cup South Africa 2010 Thread:::

japan
eek.gif

ABC's U.S.-England tie in the World Cup Saturday drew the second-highest overnight rating ever for a Cup first-round match. The game drew a 7.5 overnight — which translates to 9% of households in the 56 urban TV markets measured for overnights — to trail only the first-round U.S.-Romania game when the U.S. hosted the World Cup in 1994.

Saturday's U.S.-England also drew the fifth-best overnight ever for a World Cup game. In addition to ranking behind the 1994 Romania-U.S. game, it trails only the 1994 Brazil-Italy final (12.
glasses.gif
, the 1994 Brazil-U.S. game (10.4) and the 2006 Italy-France final (8.6).

- USA Today

After 40 minutes of nothing, I change the channel for a minute.  I put it back to the game and see Japan had a goal.  Frickin'.  
mad.gif

More info from the Washington Post :
TV ratings for USA-England World Cup match
The USA-England match Saturday was the fifth most-viewed soccer telecast in ABC history. The two-hour match window averaged a 7.3 household rating (8.4 million households) and 12.9 million viewers. When the one-hour pregame coverage was included in the figures, the game delivered a 6.1 household rating (7 million households) and 10.8 million viewers.

The match ratings are based on ABC viewership in 56 markets and do not include data from Univision (Spanish) and ESPN Deportes (Portuguese).

ESPN's most-watched game over the weekend was Argentina vs. Nigeria -- a 2.8 household coverage rating (2.8 million households) and 3.7 million viewers.

Top markets for USA-England
1. San Diego: 11.5 rating
2. San Francisco: 11.2
3. Las Vegas: 11.0
4. Cincinnati: 10.8
5. Salt Lake City: 10.2
Most-watched matches in U.S. history
1. USA-China, 1999 women's final, 18 million viewers (11.4 rating)
2. Brazil-Italy, 1994 final, 14.5 million (9.5 rating)
3. USA-Brazil, 1994 round of 16, 13.7 million (9.3 rating)
4. Italy-France, 2006 final ,12.0 million (7.0 rating)
5. USA-England, 2010 first round, 10.8 million (6.1 rating)

Originally Posted by TheGift23

More info from the Washington Post :
TV ratings for USA-England World Cup match
The USA-England match Saturday was the fifth most-viewed soccer telecast in ABC history. The two-hour match window averaged a 7.3 household rating (8.4 million households) and 12.9 million viewers. When the one-hour pregame coverage was included in the figures, the game delivered a 6.1 household rating (7 million households) and 10.8 million viewers.

The match ratings are based on ABC viewership in 56 markets and do not include data from Univision (Spanish) and ESPN Deportes (Portuguese).

ESPN's most-watched game over the weekend was Argentina vs. Nigeria -- a 2.8 household coverage rating (2.8 million households) and 3.7 million viewers.

Top markets for USA-England
1. San Diego: 11.5 rating
2. San Francisco: 11.2
3. Las Vegas: 11.0
4. Cincinnati: 10.8
5. Salt Lake City: 10.2
Most-watched matches in U.S. history
1. USA-China, 1999 women's final, 18 million viewers (11.4 rating)
2. Brazil-Italy, 1994 final, 14.5 million (9.5 rating)
3. USA-Brazil, 1994 round of 16, 13.7 million (9.3 rating)
4. Italy-France, 2006 final ,12.0 million (7.0 rating)
5. USA-England, 2010 first round, 10.8 million (6.1 rating)

I think these numbers may be misleading. As the game becomes more popular in the States, more people go out to bars and such to watch the games. I watched at Dupont Circle in DC for ENG/USA and there were at least 5,000 people watching it on the big screens they had set up there. And most of the bars we walked by were packed. I don't know if this was happening for USA-China women's or USA-Brazil in 1994, so those numbers may be inflated.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Dutch got the job done but I wasn't really impressed by their performance. It was an ugly game all around, though a picked up a bit towards the end. Robben's absence was felt. When Elia came in he mitigated that a bit.

I don't think we'll learn much about the Dutch until the Round of 16 or quarters. They could realistically make it to the last-eight before they play any elite competition, assuming Paraguay finishes second in their group. If they lose to Brazil in the quarters everyone will say "oh they choked in the knockout round again," but I think it'll just be an issue of not having to play anyone for four games then coming up against a powerhouse in the fifth game.
I agree.  On paper, 2-0 might look like a great start, but watching the Dutch play, I wasn't really impressed.  I guess I was just expecting too much.  Still, its a bit early.  No need to peak so soon.  They really need Robben to create more.
Just got back... someone plz gimme a quick recap on JPN/CAM... which has been the better team?

And why, again, are there so many empty seats!?

Originally Posted by ClevelandsPrince23

^^
laugh.gif
what about the west coast folks? N's gonna be gettin taco bell and waiting for the 4:30 AM game man.
so far I've only been able to watch the first game yesterday. I've fallen asleep after like 10 min of every other 4:30 game
roll.gif

i'm just gonna go for the 7 and 11 games from now on.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

what the hell is that buzzing noise in the back ground of every game? crowd just randomly blowing horns?

that's the vuvuzela they're thinking about banning.

Seems like Eto'o has been quiet the whole game. I haven't seen his name come up much

There's a real possibility that only one African team advances out of the group stage:

-Ghana: looking good, just need to beat an Aussie squad without their best player to advance.
-South Africa: good opening result, but will anyone be shocked if they tie Uruguay and lose to France?
-Nigeria: will need to beat either Greece or Korea, and get a point from the other. Will be tough, but doable.
-Algeria: essentially eliminated already. No way they're going to get points off England and the US.
-Cameroon: basically eliminated as well. Could shock Holland and/or Denmark, but I don't see it.
-Ivory Coast: must get something off Portugal tomorrow. If not it's adios.

Ghana I think can (Australia doesn't seem very good)

Japan, nah. Denmark will open up more vs both.

Nigeria it will come down to the game vs Korea, should be an exciting game. Greece looked horrible and they should beat them.

Cameroon played like crap, but it's basicaly Eto'o and he's playing out of his usual position

I really think Japan has a good enough defence to go onto the second round

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Cameroon played like crap, but it's basicaly Eto'o and he's playing out of his usual position

I wouldn't read too much into Japan's win today. They've always played well against African teams for some reason, and Cameroon hasn't been very good at all in the past few years (they lost to freakin' Gabon in the last ANC
sick.gif
).

I fully expect Japan to lose their remaining games and finish behind Denmark in the group.

I wouldn't read too much into Japan's win today. They've always played well against African teams for some reason, and Cameroon hasn't been very good at all in the past few years (they lost to freakin' Gabon in the last ANC
sick.gif
).

I fully expect Japan to lose their remaining games and finish behind Denmark in the group.
Japan played well ? I don't think so, the match was terrible from both sides.Paul leGuen should be fired.
Holland with or without Robben and Denmark will prevail.

Originally Posted by engoi

Originally Posted by Answer IV DMX

Neuer in goal worries somewhat worries me as Germany advances though...

Ozil is going to be great.  I can't believe Schalke let him go
frown.gif
We had no choice, unfortunately.
Possible to get the cliff notes on how it went down?  Especially since he was a local player with huge upside.  I'm a pretty big Schalke supporter, but unfortunately haven't had much time in the past couple years to follow die Knappen.  Checked the match results a bit this year and saw it was a pretty great season w/ automatic qualification.

sick.gif
).

Japan played well ? I don't think so, the match was terrible from both sides.Paul leGuen should be fired.
They've always played well =/= they played well today. The point was that their win against Cameroon isn't predictive of their next two matches because they always get better results against African squads than against European/South American squads. The fact that they didn't even play well is further support of the argument that they won't do too much against Denmark and Holland.

Neuer in goal worries somewhat worries me as Germany advances though...

Ozil is going to be great.  I can't believe Schalke let him go
frown.gif
We had no choice, unfortunately.
Possible to get the cliff notes on how it went down?  Especially since he was a local player with huge upside.  I'm a pretty big Schalke supporter, but unfortunately haven't had much time in the past couple years to follow die Knappen.  Checked the match results a bit this year and saw it was a pretty great season w/ automatic qualification.

-Mesut was a talent, not more and his contract had 18 months remaining
-he wanted a switch because of money i believe because he played his first year in Bremen as a substitute or complement for Diego
-some believe he was p**sed beacause he was not a starter with Schalke but i believe it was the money
-Schalke offered him 1,5 million Euros and Werder 1,8 millions plus he was able to fulfill his Nike contract
When he played, you saw his talent but he was not mature enough i guess
So we had to sell him for 5,3 million Euros because we couldn't let him go at the end of his contract for nothing.
Again, Mesut is and was a good player but also at Werder he played last season a lot of bad games.

sick.gif
).

They've always played well =/= they played well today. The point was that their win against Cameroon isn't predictive of their next two matches because they always get better results against African squads than against European/South American squads. The fact that they didn't even play well is further support of the argument that they won't do too much against Denmark and Holland.
I couldn't hardly predict games.
England vs USA 1:1 and Uruguay vs France 0:0 ?
And in this case i guess it's not only the quality of the team but also the coach who apparently didn't had a clue how to use one of the worlds best strikers.

Back
Top Bottom