***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Do all artist charge by the hour or some charge by the piece? Thinking of getting a portrait done and he just quoted me a price not an hourly rate. How would I know how many hours it would take?

Something like this, I'm going tomorrow to talk in person with him... Check him out on instagram @buschingtattoo

Last edited:
Its not so much skill though. Having tattoos IMO is sorta like a "right of passage". Like someone said, would you get fitness advice from someone whos overweight? Would you get car advice from someone who doesnt have a car? (>__>)

I know its totally different to use those examples, but sorta the same concept.
Ehhh I kinda see where you coming from but to me it's like learning how to shoot a jump shot, that takes hands on skill, ability, you practice you get better. Selling a car is more of being able to talk and use communication skills, it's not something that takes any real set of craft compared to being able to tattoo. I think we're comparing an artist that has tattoos and one that is sleeved up head to toe, now if my artist had 0 tattoos, then yes I would be skeptical.

^^^^^^Some people charge by the project. I think someone said Jun Cha charges like that. If that is the case, don't try to break it down by the hour. Sometimes it will come out more then what some people charge by the hour. Or maybe his price was a ballpark of what he thinks the amount could come out too if it was charge by the hour. My first tattoo, I was ballparked something like $400-500 but eventually came out a little bit more.

Jun Cha charges by the project. Even then, it's a ballpark figure until the piece is started/finished.

I got mine done on Monday. First tattoo, 8-hour session. It's a work in progress. This particular section will be done in my next session.

Thanks for the info guys... Any other artists that would be recommended in the NYC area for dog portraits? I don't really see much artists that specify in them

Thanks for the info guys... Any other artists that would be recommended in the NYC area for dog portraits? I don't really see much artists that specify in them
Any person that does portraits should be able to. Try Vinny Rommaneli from Red Rocket.

what do you guys think of rib tattoos?? on a scale from 1-10 how much does it hurt?

Last edited:
what do you guys think of rib tattoos?? on a scale from 1-10 how much does it hurt?

Most painful tattoo I got. Have never had to stop during a session until my 3rd rib session . Was about 3 hours in to my 4 hour slot and told my artist I couldn't take anymore

I feel like people grossly overestimated the pain of getting tatted on the inner bicep..
..maybe i just have a higher tolerance for pain but in my experience it wasnt all that serious *shrugs*
anyway, first tat "Psalms 56:11" and i kinda already want another one on the other arm

I like it.. not really that picky since it was free and my boy did it

you get what you pay for.

found the old thread and posted in it lol didn't know this one was going on... any who 2 of my 5 tats, start of my sleeve I'm not sure what else I want to add...

Most painful tattoo I got. Have never had to stop during a session until my 3rd rib session . Was about 3 hours in to my 4 hour slot and told my artist I couldn't take anymore

did you continue the session or you came back later? doesnt look good for me since it will be my first and it will be a big piece

did you continue the session or you came back later? doesnt look good for me since it will be my first and it will be a big piece

Did a total of around 20 hours on my ribs, that was supposed to be my last. I came back and sat for another 3

I got mine done by Jon boy. He works at gunbar now I think he told me.

I have about 4 hours done on my right rib cage. I also have my left peck tattooed. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, my peck was about a 3 in pain. The ribs was probably the worst pain (especially in shading) that I can imagine a tattoo to be. For my peck, they tattooed right next to my nipple. The ribs was incredibly intense when they would do line work right on the bone, or shade right on the bone. Be ready for the pain, but just remember that you'll live.

^^ Ouch lol.. Let me clearify

My boy is an amazing artist (not just homie down the block)l. We both went to design school together and

..I wouldnt trust anyone more to give me a tat. That design is exactly what i asked for..

So relax yourself with that 'get what u pay for ****'

I just checked out their whole site. Interesting how LA guys have such a distinct style. Almost everyone from that shop tattoos exactly the same. And most of them hardly tattoo in color nor do hard outlines. Again, maybe it is an LA thing cause even my cousin tattoos like those guys. Some of those guys are better then others but most of them are decent.
http://www.utgink.com/
And saw this on the 7th Son blog. Two foo dog half sleeves:
tumblr_mdx65yMyHF1qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mdx646GzQX1qk9t5qo1_500.jpg

And some others from the blog:
tumblr_mdkab84qD21qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_md7435sXdQ1qiahsao1_500.jpg
tumblr_md97esjJx01qiahsao1_500.jpg
tumblr_me8gu9HA7a1qiahsao1_500.jpg
tumblr_mctuua5Y081qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mcql81AHJX1qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mcgvz81PN71qk9t5qo1_500.jpg

http://seventhsontattoo.tumblr.com/

dope work... I'm currently getting a chest piece done at 7th son still in progress. Nick is the dopest artist in the shop.

Thats cool, no offense taken here.. My boy is currently an apprentice workin his way up and ive always been a fan of his artwork.

The only thing holding me back from getting a tat before was not having the funds to spare..

..Soo why not support my friend and get a free tat.. is how i look at it.

Sternum is the worst place I've had tattooed by far. I felt it throughout my entire body 
sick.gif

Thats cool, no offense taken here.. My boy is currently an apprentice workin his way up and ive always been a fan of his artwork.

The only thing holding me back from getting a tat before was not having the funds to spare..

word, nothing wrong with that. my room mate does tattoos too. yeah, it wont be a+ work but he's my boy so whatever.

Artwork =/= tattoos. You can be the best _____ but be a crap tattoo artist. Being general here, not saying your friend is crap, it could be tons better.The composition of the tattoo and design is eh, but a terrible, terrible tattoo? I woudnt say that.

Back
Top Bottom