:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

How can I remove scuffs on the plastic wing/strap and the plastic back tab of some 2012 bred 4s? I just bought a slightly beat pair for $70 and the plastic damage is all I don't know how to fix.

I can post pics but it is very normal and common damage on almost any pair of 4s. It's little dings and scuffs. I don't want to paint because those aren't painted areas. The only thing I could think of was very fine sand paper to even the surface out.

Thank you, rep incoming.

How can I remove scuffs on the plastic wing/strap and the plastic back tab of some 2012 bred 4s? I just bought a slightly beat pair for $70 and the plastic damage is all I don't know how to fix.

I can post pics but it is very normal and common damage on almost any pair of 4s. It's little dings and scuffs. I don't want to paint because those aren't painted areas. The only thing I could think of was very fine sand paper to even the surface out.

Thank you, rep incoming.

Im curious what is suggested because i also have some bc4s that have this issue???

From 2012. I don't know if it'll work or not though

So it's kind of crazy but I think it might work! I just did a small test but I think it's working on the back tab. The strap has some really shiny scuffs, those will need more work.

The magic eraser acts like sand paper and smooths everything out. From some angles you can see the scuffs, but from other angles the scuff is gone now.

Pretty awesome, repped!

Edit: I will report back once I actually do the restore. Waiting on some supplies.

Last edited:
Oops meant process of applying it
Apply to area with a toothbrush (keep it as neat and unrunny as you can), seal with some saran/ clear plastic wrap (be careful with this as the wrap can be slippery and get the sauce on unnecessary parts of the shoe which is never good),  and set outside for 30 minutes to an hour depending on how well the sun is doing. Take the shoes inside for a little bit, then back outside for the same process. It's just rinse and repeat.

Also, stuff the toebox with a bag of ice to keep the shoe cool while its being sauced, as being too hot can cause sole separation. 

Last edited:
Alright... my Royal 1 customs look great.. except the midsole. The dye bled onto and I've tried a few things to fix it. But, it's only worse.

I'm now contemplating a sole swap. Who's the best person to have do this for me?

So I thought I'd post this here because it's a subject that's been discussed to death, but people who always ask questions deserve clear answers.

So here we go this is the truth about reicing your soles. Their are many products on the market. 40 volume, Sole Bright, SeaGlow the list goes on. So let's finally have some truth on the subject.

1. If you don't have patience don't bother even attempting to reice yellow soles. It takes time, patience, and a considerable amount of dedication. The process can take weeks sometimes hour long sessions every other day. Here's a detailed video showing the almost month long process.

2. Protect yourself!! Many you tubers use corrosive toxic materials such as peroxide (40 volume) or boat cleaner (SeaGlow) without proper rubber gloves or eye protection. I cannot stress how important it is to have respect for these sometime volatile chemicals. Heres a video showing some severe skin reactions.

3. The key component is UV light the sun is the preferred method. Here's an article on how UV light works with rubber.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S135047890970529X

4. These materials can ruin midsoles and eat away at paint. Be careful and pay attention!. Refer back to point 1.

5. The great debate as to what material works best, they all work if you refer back to point 1. Your trying to reverse years of oxidation (yellowing) so respect the time it takes. Each person has different results but what we all can agree on is this is a marathon not a sprint. Here's a video to make your own sauce.

6. Do not buy into before and after pictures as results can vary. Again refer to point 1.

7. Avoid contact with uppers as many of these chemicals mainly contain high levels of peroxide. Many YouTubers splash it around with disregard. Be extremely careful.

8. Their is no one all cure for yellowing I suggest testing different products until you find the one that works best for you.

9. Preparation is half the battle. Learn what your working with. Do not use hair dryers to speed up the process. Again, step 1. Follow YouTube videos only as a basic guide.

This has been beat to death but for anyone new reading this. This is the truth. It won't happen overnight, if you want a quick fix then considering dyeing your soles instead. Here's a basic how to video on dying soles.

If any mods see this please considering giving it a sticky. Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Nice descriptive post. Repped 
smokin.gif

Nice descriptive post. Repped :smokin

Appreciate it, people need to realize these popular YouTube videos are highly time lapsed. They want to show great results quickly to get more views. No one tells them the truth that this is a long drawn out process that can take weeks. People need to know the reality of what it takes to truly get these results.

Anyone on this?

Try tooth paste, worked well for me or nail polish remover, be careful and use it sparingly. It contains acetone that can strip paint. So be gentle use a little bit and take your time. If it's a surface stain that looks like a scuff then some cleaner and elbow grease will work. If it's a deep scuff that's gone threw layers of the materials that's gonna need a repaint.

Last edited:
Im curious what is suggested because i also have some bc4s that have this issue???

Nail polish remover works great, if you take your time. Be gentle and rub softly and in circular motions using a cotton ball. Repeat until you get the results you want. It won't remove yellowing but it can strip away almost any surface stain. That or put some toothpaste with baking soda over the scuff and let it sit for 10-15mins then scrub it out with an SOS pad. Rinse and repeat if necessary, this goes for nail polish remover as well.

Last edited:
How much are these worth?

What can be done to improve the appearance of the scuffs and scrapes?

Toe box is in overall good shape with 6s I'd be more worried about the midsole. Paint chipping, scrapes etc. There's plenty of good suede cleaners out there. Many tutorials can be found on YouTube. If the suede is discoloured, you could always purchase some black suede dye. Guides are also on YouTube. As for price that's your decision. Are you willing to save $60 bucks in exchange for 6 hours of work plus materials?. If you aren't willing to take the time to restore if pass and go for a ds or vnds pair.

whats the best thing to use for a white mesh? Cant get the dirt off my gold trophy roshe. Toe area is dirty. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Toe box is in overall good shape with 6s I'd be more worried about the midsole. Paint chipping, scrapes etc. There's plenty of good suede cleaners out there. Many tutorials can be found on YouTube. If the suede is discoloured, you could always purchase some black suede dye. Guides are also on YouTube. As for price that's your decision. Are you willing to save $60 bucks in exchange for 6 hours of work plus materials?. If you aren't willing to take the time to restore if pass and go for a ds or vnds pair.
Thanks.

These are the 2014 version, so the midsole chipping is the least I'm worried about at the time. Been checking YouTube to correct these flaws and can't find an exact fix to the scrapes pictured above.

Could you possibly link me to one that's details how to fix/treat those scuffs?

They are just surface scuffs. The integrity of the material doesn't seem to be altered other than the appearance of the scuff.thanks.

Back
Top Bottom