:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [2-2 vs Cardinals 10/07 1:05PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is what it is. But given the unpredictable nature of NFL contracts and the cutthroat nature with the business side of things. I can’t blame players for chasing the bag and getting the most guaranteed money they can in a league where non guaranteed contracts are the norm.

But if you’re going to trade a top talent like Deebo. Now would be the time to do it. But you have to keep in mind that whatever 1st round pick(s) you end acquiring. It’s no guarantee they’re going to be stars and pan out. And if they do, you’re going to do this dance again when they want to get paid.

On a side note though. The whole deleting everything off ig, unfollowing everyone stuff etc. Unless the organization absolutely did a player dirty. I really don’t care for that stuff. Unfortunately there’s a salary cap and not everyone is to be able to get paid. Although the Rams are making the salary cap look like a myth at the moment.

But unless the organization did some cutthroat dirty stuff. It’s funny to me when players try to frame it like “Oh they didn’t want to keep me”. No they did. You just wanted to get paid a crazy amount (as you rightfully should in your limited earning window). But ultimately other guys are going to get paid as well and the salary cap can be a road block on that end.

It is what it is. But given the unpredictable nature of NFL contracts and the cutthroat nature with the business side of things. I can’t blame players for chasing the bag and getting the most guaranteed money they can in a league where non guaranteed contracts are the norm.

But if you’re going to trade a top talent like Deebo. Now would be the time to do it. But you have to keep in mind that whatever 1st round pick(s) you end acquiring. It’s no guarantee they’re going to be stars and pan out. And if they do, you’re going to do this dance again when they want to get paid.

On a side note though. The whole deleting everything off ig, unfollowing everyone stuff etc. Unless the organization absolutely did a player dirty. I really don’t care for that stuff. Unfortunately there’s a salary cap and not everyone is to be able to get paid. Although the Rams are making the salary cap look like a myth at the moment.

But unless the organization did some cutthroat dirty stuff. It’s funny to me when players try to frame it like “Oh they didn’t want to keep me”. No they did. You just wanted to get paid a crazy amount (as you rightfully should in your limited earning window). But ultimately other guys are going to get paid as well and the salary cap can be a road block on that end.
The Christian Kirk effect. When that dude can command damn near $20M's a year with 20 paid up front, every WR with big numbers is going to be looking at their FO and pointing to that contract. I hope we figure this out, last thing Trey needs is to lose the biggest piece in our offense.

Let’s remember they said they’ve budgeted for Deebo and Bosas extension. Doesn’t seem like they’ve budgeted enough. Deebo clearly felt disrespected by what they intitially discussed. That’s a horrible way to start negotiations, they must have lowballed him on some “you’re basically a RB” ****.

jimmy not being moved immediately followed by a potential deebo fiasco would be the worst off-season i've seen this team have in a long time

in any case, i imagine this is a leverage play by deebo's team. we've seen this drill before. it draws a frenzy from fans who then spam a team's social media with "sign player-x or i'm done!" just to demonstrate how important the player is to the fanbase. can't see the niners parting ways with a player who was the catalyst for almost everything on offense.

I’d pay the proven rather than bank on prospects and send the message to the rest of the locker room that our FO is a bunch of cheapskates. We’ve missed more than hit in the draft as well. Imagine trading Deebo away to end up with another Solomon Thomas, Pettis and Hurd. Ugh.

I love Deebo. He is probably the best player on our team. But he was schemed up to feast with our RBs like Mitchell and Wilson hurt missing some games, Mosterati out for the season and our prospect RB (Sermon) not playing to his full potential. If we can get multiple 1sts and a 2nd/ or 3rd. I would rather have that then paying in the high 20s or low 30s a year for a WR. It was just absolutely suck if Deebo walked. I get it though, get paid if you can.

He had 1400yrds on 77 receptions compared to the league leader Kupp going for 1950 on 145 receptions. Dude would be breaking records with those kinds of targets, his efficiency alone should get him paid. All of that without the RB factor even being taken into account.

Thinking about it. I wouldn’t feed in too much with the whole Deebo situation. Being realistic, NFL players have minimal leverage in these situations. They can franchise him. Yeah, he can hold out, but all that’s doing is costing him money during his prime years. And see how that worked out for Le’Veon Bell and most other guys who did that.

They’re not going to trade him just to trade him. If he prices himself out in terms of wanting an unrealistic amount. Weigh your options, but no need to make any desperation moves. This isn’t the NBA, where players have a much easier path to forcing their way out.

But pay the man. Set your young qb (on a rookie deal) up for success and send a message that you aren’t some cheap penny pinching organization You can always release him or move him further down the line if need be.

Unless you’re a rebuilding team, the whole notion of trading proven talent for picks doesn’t sit well with me though. You’re trading a proven player that’s still real young for picks. You’re likely going to use one of those picks to draft his replacement. If that pick ends up being a bust. You pretty much traded him for nothing. If that pick becomes a star, they’re going to want to get paid as well. So best case scenario, you’re only delaying the contract games in that capacity.

I’d pay the proven rather than bank on prospects and send the message to the rest of the locker room that our FO is a bunch of cheapskates. We’ve missed more than hit in the draft as well. Imagine trading Deebo away to end up with another Solomon Thomas, Pettis and Hurd. Ugh.

This is my exact thoughts. and even if the pick does pan out and become a star. What the hell do they think is going to happen in a few years when that guy wants to get paid.

Non guaranteed contracts are the norm in the NFL. And guys are let go regularly with no dambz given. The tradeoff with that is if you have a top talent who produces and outplays their contract. They’re going to want to get paid and you’re going to have to inevitably deal with that.

Also, by all accounts, especially Kyle's, Deebo is a good dude. He is a hard worker on and off the field. Why not pay somebody like him who deserves it. To think I wanted to buy a Deebo jersey because I thought he was the safest player from getting traded or leaving. Not that he is, this just shows uncertainty.

His agent probably leading him on this to try to get some leverage for the best deal
Yeah, I can see that. Get the fanbase and beat writers riled up and get quotes from siblings or agents to put pressure on the front office.

Probably get a deal done leading up to OTAs and camp. Didn't they do that with Kittle?

he’s probably already a ram and he doesn’t even realize it

Last edited:
idk about making deebo the highest paid non-qb in the league but if niners opt to do that, i can't see much of that money being guaranteed given his injury history.

whatever they do, however, niners need to retain him. between deebo, aiyuk and juaun jennings emerging as a 3rd down chain mover, this WR corp is talented and one of the best in the league. if the offensive line can improve on the right side, they'll be able to have kittle running routes more, too. **** I WANT TO SEE MORE PLAYS FOR KITTLE (and I don't mean stupid *** jet sweeps for him, kyle)

Back
Top Bottom