**Official Post Your Dog Thread**

Stop the bleeding and if he/she doesn’t irritate it you’re good. Keep it clean but, I wouldn’t deem a cone necessary.

Cool thanks man

It isn't really bleeding much so that's good, but he's kind of obsessive about his feet (always bites his nails) so I feel like I might have to use a cone to prevent him from pulling the gauze off

I'll see how he acts without the cone first...thanks again

Bro the Vet bill is so irritating. Do your best to avoid them.

My vet barely cares it’s all about money with them. :smh:

What do y'all do when your dog has a broken nail? My guy broke his last night and it was basically flipped upside down

I snipped the end off of it and the quick is kind of exposed but, aside from trying to lick it, he doesn't act like it's really bothering him

I was going to put some neosporin on it and wrap it and then put a cone on him

Trying to decide if that would be enough or if I should take him to the vet

My girl had the same thing last year but hers was more painful because she was limping and stuff but the only thing the vet did was snip it off and put some silver nitrate on it

depends on the break, if something is exposed I'd take em to your vet just to see

one of my guys split his nail (dewclaw) it wasn't bothering him unless I tried to touch it, vet had to remove the nail and wrap it, it took about 2 weeks to fully heal and grow back, i did get like an antibacterial spray they gave me and then had to wrap it again. and had to keep his paw dry

What do y'all do when your dog has a broken nail? My guy broke his last night and it was basically flipped upside down

I snipped the end off of it and the quick is kind of exposed but, aside from trying to lick it, he doesn't act like it's really bothering him

My girl had the same thing last year but hers was more painful because she was limping and stuff but the only thing the vet did was snip it off and put some silver nitrate on it
Soak It Nightly In Warm Water And Then Follow With A Hydrogen Peroxide Soak… You Can Then Apply Antibacterial Ointment, Wrap With Gauze And Use Baby Socks And Medical Tape To Keep Them From Licking At It. Got Praise From Our Vet After Seeing My Upkeep On Our Girl Who Constantly Is Breaking Toenails :lol:
94BBAA95-E73D-40D2-8843-CB8B702B1962.jpeg

Thanks y'all

I emailed my vet some pictures and they'll probably get back to me when they open in the morning...I've had nothing but good experiences with them and they've even taken care of some minor things like this for free before so I'm not worried about them taking advantage or anything

The baby socks is a good idea so I'll try that when I change his gauze tonight

Last edited:

My baby is currently recovering from this same thing. Her nails always break but this one was a case where the entire nail was coming off (think ripping straight back) only leaving the quick.

We try to keep it relatively clean and soak in water/epsom salt at night for a few mins. We have put neosporin on it and wrapped it a few nights in the beginning but we have mostly left it exposed. Got to a good point now where it is almost healed up a couple weeks later. She licks it but it kinda helps keep it clean, we just try not o let her lick so much that she gets sores

Also biting the nails may be an issue with allergies

Welp our family officially adopted a dog today. Been looking for the past month for one. We hit up so many rescues but most of them are clown operations from our experience. We ended up getting our boy from the humane society. He’s a shepherd mix, we think it’s a lab or golden retriever. I’ll have some pics tomorrow.

got my pups tattooed last friday. artist killed it capturing their personalities bottom one is my girl tinker who passed away, too is my boy tank
IMG_0225.jpeg

for reference

IMG_0144.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg

how do you stop them from jumping and being so god dang hyper... taking care of my brother's pup right now

I lost my Wookie last night. A cocker spaniel-poodle mix, we got her when she was just over two months old in early 2007.

We already had a greyhound when my girl brought Wookie home. She was tiny, and I was worried because our grey had a toy that looked just like her he would whip around and throw. I was concerned he'd do the same to her and initially wanted her to bring Wook back to her friend who had her in a litter. Instead, my girl put Wook on my chest while I was laying on the couch and she curled up and went to sleep on my throat.

She didn't leave my side for seven years until I stopped working from home.

In like 2010 while I was playing fetch with her she ran head-first into my greyhound's back knee while he was doing his post-pee run. Knocked a quarter inch hole in her skull that I could look into and see her orbital cavity. Vet fished out the bone fragments and stitched her right up, she was fine a couple days later.

In 2012 she had a disk blow up in her back (somewhat common with small dogs, unfortunately) and she lost the use of her back legs and started wearing diapers. We'd also put overalls on her to help keep the diapers on. Made her look like a hillbilly.

Her disability didn't slow her down one bit. She was still scooting around playing fetch (and snagging balls I'd throw outta mid air) up until her eyes started to go in the last few months.

A couple years later she had a reaction to pet treats with red dye in them and she pooped out her stomach lining. One subdermal fluid injection (which made her look a bit like a camel) later and she was A-OK again.

She started to get less mobile and more angsty the last couple weeks, so we knew she was finally heading toward the end. She had a brief seizure Saturday night that she recovered from quickly.

After getting a double helping of bacon from our breakfast, she spent yesterday afternoon sleeping on my leg, as she liked to do. After she went out and ate her dinner she went back to sleep on my leg until I had to get up and make dinner. She slept next to me til we sat down to eat, and a couple minutes after waking up had a massive seizure. She calmed down about an hour later, and I bathed her and held her in a towel while she dried. Put a new diaper on her and brought her to bed with us and I went to sleep with her in my arms. At 1:45am I woke up and she'd passed, still in my arms.

I've had this wonderful, beautiful, bad-*** little girl for 2/3 of my adult life. I'm in a real bad way right now, but I know that she won every gatdam fight she ever had and got as much love from me and my girl as any dog's ever gotten. We don't have kids - we have dogs - but this girl was as close to a daughter as I'll ever have. My vet couldn't take her in today untl 3pm, so I spent all day holding her wrapped in her favorite blanket. She looks very peaceful.

I had to write this all down, and NT's been like my online family for the last 10 years, so thanks for reading.

DSCN0508.JPG

20161123_104923.jpg

20170314_125718.jpg

IMG_48531.jpg

Wookie, I love you, and we'll play ball again one day soon.

I lost my Wookie last night. A cocker spaniel-poodle mix, we got her when she was just over two months old in early 2007.

We already had a greyhound when my girl brought Wookie home. She was tiny, and I was worried because our grey had a toy that looked just like her he would whip around and throw. I was concerned he'd do the same to her and initially wanted her to bring Wook back to her friend who had her in a litter. Instead, my girl put Wook on my chest while I was laying on the couch and she curled up and went to sleep on my throat.

In like 2010 while I was playing fetch with her she ran head-first into my greyhound's back knee while he was doing his post-pee run. Knocked a quarter inch hole in her skull that I could look into and see her orbital cavity. Vet fished out the bone fragments and stitched her right up, she was fine a couple days later.

In 2012 she had a disk blow up in her back (somewhat common with small dogs, unfortunately) and she lost the use of her back legs and started wearing diapers. We'd also put overalls on her to help keep the diapers on. Made her look like a hillbilly.

Her disability didn't slow her down one bit. She was still scooting around playing fetch (and snagging balls I'd throw outta mid air) up until her eyes started to go in the last few months.

A couple years later she had a reaction to pet treats with red dye in them and she pooped out her stomach lining. One subdermal fluid injection (which made her look a bit like a camel) later and she was A-OK again.

She started to get less mobile and more angsty the last couple weeks, so we knew she was finally heading toward the end. She had a brief seizure Saturday night that she recovered from quickly.

After getting a double helping of bacon from our breakfast, she spent yesterday afternoon sleeping on my leg, as she liked to do. After she went out and ate her dinner she went back to sleep on my leg until I had to get up and make dinner. She slept next to me til we sat down to eat, and a couple minutes after waking up had a massive seizure. She calmed down about an hour later, and I bathed her and held her in a towel while she dried. Put a new diaper on her and brought her to bed with us and I went to sleep with her in my arms. At 1:45am I woke up and she'd passed, still in my arms.

I've had this wonderful, beautiful, bad-*** little girl for 2/3 of my adult life. I'm in a real bad way right now, but I know that she won every gatdam fight she ever had and got as much love from me and my girl as any dog's ever gotten. We don't have kids - we have dogs - but this girl was as close to a daughter as I'll ever have. My vet couldn't take her in today untl 3pm, so I spent all day holding her wrapped in her favorite blanket. She looks very peaceful.

I had to write this all down, and NT's been like my online family for the last 10 years, so thanks for reading.

DSCN0508.JPG

20161123_104923.jpg

20170314_125718.jpg

IMG_48531.jpg

Wow, she overcame a lot and still lived a full life. Condolences to you and your family.

RIP to Wookie |l.

DSCN0508.JPG

20161123_104923.jpg

20170314_125718.jpg

IMG_48531.jpg

sorry for your loss fam. i've broken bones, had multiple surgeries and nothing has even come close to the pain of losing a pup. they really do leave a hole in your heart that can never be filled. i know its hard now and will be for a bit, but slowly thinking about her will start to bring happiness instead of sadness.

RIP Wookie, rest easy girl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom