Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

^^^With that said, I feel my equipment photo wise hasn't been cutting it but I know it has to do with me not shooting as often as I should. These are threephotos that I shot that were pretty much the best and none is even close to put into a skateboard mag. I hate flash photography but the fisheye does add to itbut I feel like if I want to explore that realm, I'll have to get a speed light. The fisheye is a little deceiving to use. You really....I mean really haveto be close to your subject matter or it just won't look right. It limits the use of things where you can only shoot with so much range.
2zsrw9l.jpg
41f6s.jpg
29w385l.jpg

nice gear.

lol thats all i see you post tho....i havent seen anything thats "mind blowing" from your previous & current flickr. I did not see the point ofupgrading your body week after week when it hasnt been even used to its full potential.

and i also do not see the benefits/reasons for having all those lenses when you already have the 1.2L.

no hate . just my 2 cents.

i know im not the best here or anything and neither am i saying that i have a "mind blowing" photo but i guess im one of those people who believes inthe saying "its not what you have , its how you use what you have" . but believe me, id do anything to get my hands on a 5d mkII.

with that said heres my contribution for the night....not my forte but i tried (landscape)

3228296792_a2e0562589.jpg

3227443415_a56f86b001.jpg

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Rap you need to stop posting pictures of your equipment - Just last night I was searching for 85mm f/1.2 L - Almost pulled the trigger for $1600 but then realized that I should save for a 5D II which make no damn sense -- so stop it - seriously - I have a problem and you adding fuel to it. LOL

Santi I must say it has muscle for sure but I bet not everyone can use that little thing like you - props .. can we see the tripod for it that's if you using one!
laugh.gif
that's what I'm sayin'...as you all know and I had mentioned below. I've been wanting to upgrade my D40 to a D90...lastnight I ended up looking at the D300...next thing you know I was staring at the D3X. Knowing damn well I can't afford the damn thing right now.
tired.gif

I had to stop...I almost pulled out the Visa.

D90 (body only)
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Tamrom 17-50mm f/2 (i think) or the 18-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
200-400mm f/2.8

is this OD? but i think these suffice my needs.
sorry I'm not on that Paolo type ballin' status yet...gonna sell my kicks to buy this photography stuff.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Sorry guys, I really don't mean to boast. I just saved up and sacrificed a lot so it it feels good to share what I had always dreamed of having. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are others out there who have an even more ridiculous equipment list. The guy I got my 5D from has a 1Ds Mark II, 5D II, 40D and crap load of L-lenses that blow mine out of the water...and get this, dude is only 19 years old. I don't expect to pick up new gear any time soon so there no need to worry about posts like this. I haven't had time to go out and shoot lately so I just shot what's worth shooting here in my apartment...my new equipment.

Sorry to but in, but I am not offended in anyway or see you as being a jerk. I always enjoy seeing you post up your stuff, and i love seeing what you have. Keep posting all your new stuff up, most people here would. I would if i had a 5d mkII lol. And that video setup is AMAZINGGG. So sick.
Paolo no hate man...I love seeing you post your gear. Gives me motivation to completely leave the sneaker game. I have about 50 pairs of kicksthat i will be moving once i get back to Cali. after I get those lenses that I posted above, I should also be good for a long while.

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Sorry guys, I really don't mean to boast. I just saved up and sacrificed a lot so it it feels good to share what I had always dreamed of having. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are others out there who have an even more ridiculous equipment list. The guy I got my 5D from has a 1Ds Mark II, 5D II, 40D and crap load of L-lenses that blow mine out of the water...and get this, dude is only 19 years old. I don't expect to pick up new gear any time soon so there no need to worry about posts like this. I haven't had time to go out and shoot lately so I just shot what's worth shooting here in my apartment...my new equipment.

Sorry to but in, but I am not offended in anyway or see you as being a jerk. I always enjoy seeing you post up your stuff, and i love seeing what you have. Keep posting all your new stuff up, most people here would. I would if i had a 5d mkII lol. And that video setup is AMAZINGGG. So sick.
Co-sign.

Oh, and don't be embarrassed about your XS kit. Anyone, granted they save up, can buy the best equipment, but if they don't know how to use them to their full potential, it's all a complete waste. A photographer's creativity and vision can't be replaced by $1000+ gear.
Well said, that goes with anything.

Originally Posted by qksLvrtypeS

nice gear.

lol thats all i see you post tho....i havent seen anything thats "mind blowing" from your previous & current flickr. I did not see the point of upgrading your body week after week when it hasnt been even used to its full potential.

and i also do not see the benefits/reasons for having all those lenses when you already have the 1.2L.

i know im not the best here or anything and neither am i saying that i have a "mind blowing" photo but i guess im one of those people who believes in the saying "its not what you have , its how you use what you have" . but believe me, id do anything to get my hands on a 5d mkII.

with that said heres my contribution for the night....not my forte but i tried (landscape)

3228296792_a2e0562589.jpg

3227443415_a56f86b001.jpg
yeah i agree with u. Rap Sizzle has all that nice equipment but doesn't have the photos to back it up.

^ yeah he does.. what are you talking about? he just doesnt post all of his on NT like a lot of people do.

Originally Posted by mjbetch

^ yeah he does.. what are you talking about? he just doesnt post all of his on NT like a lot of people do.
umm well i just goin with what his flickr shows me. and on his flickr i dont see anything that catches my eye.

i can probably take all the same quality pics with a d40 and a kit lens

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Rap you need to stop posting pictures of your equipment - Just last night I was searching for 85mm f/1.2 L - Almost pulled the trigger for $1600 but then realized that I should save for a 5D II which make no damn sense -- so stop it - seriously - I have a problem and you adding fuel to it. LOL

Santi I must say it has muscle for sure but I bet not everyone can use that little thing like you - props .. can we see the tripod for it that's if you using one!
laugh.gif
that's what I'm sayin'...as you all know and I had mentioned below. I've been wanting to upgrade my D40 to a D90...last night I ended up looking at the D300...next thing you know I was staring at the D3X. Knowing damn well I can't afford the damn thing right now.
tired.gif

I had to stop...I almost pulled out the Visa.

D90 (body only)
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Tamrom 17-50mm f/2 (i think) or the 18-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
200-400mm f/2.8

is this OD? but i think these suffice my needs.
sorry I'm not on that Paolo type ballin' status yet...gonna sell my kicks to buy this photography stuff.
pimp.gif
Yeah, I'd call that OD.
roll.gif
I don't know why you wouldneed the 200-400mm 2.8 unless your a dead serious sports photographer, even the 70-200 2.8 I would consider a reach.

I'd say keep the Tonika 11-16, for wide angle. The sigma is a great prime, keep that. Get the 70-300mm VR for telephoto (Very sharp, great build quality,good price.) and for all around shooting, id get the lens that comes with the D90 kit, the 18-105mm VR. it's also a great lens, but the >$300 price tagmight be a turnoff for you...
tongue.gif

If I was you though, I would just get the D90 kit and mess with it for a while.

^ I think the most of paolo's photos are in his blog or was that Mr. Fong?

Ok...I'm bored.

to those guys that want to play the game that I mentioned a couple of pages back...I'm gonna go ahead and start it since I aint got nothing to do.

Assignment for this week (Friday, Jan. 30 to Thursday, Feb. 05).
Subject: Sunset or Sunrise.
Rules: Must be taken during the aforementioned dates above.
Not really a contest...i just thought it would be fun.

I guess that's it...pretty easy for the first week. I'm not sure how many of you are willing to participate.

Originally Posted by PhyzXs

Originally Posted by mjbetch

umm well i just goin with what his flickr shows me. and on his flickr i dont see anything that catches my eye.

i can probably take all the same quality pics with a d40 and a kit lens
explain.

and yeah, can you do that for me? lol

Originally Posted by PhyzXs

Originally Posted by qksLvrtypeS

nice gear.

lol thats all i see you post tho....i havent seen anything thats "mind blowing" from your previous & current flickr. I did not see the point of upgrading your body week after week when it hasnt been even used to its full potential.

i know im not the best here or anything and neither am i saying that i have a "mind blowing" photo but i guess im one of those people who believes in the saying "its not what you have , its how you use what you have" . but believe me, id do anything to get my hands on a 5d mkII.

yeah i agree with u. Rap Sizzle has all that nice equipment but doesn't have the photos to back it up.
So what exactly is mind-blowing to you? Do you want something like that panorama taken from the beach with fireworks, a comet and a lighting stormcaptured in the horizon? Do you want 5x magnified shot of a fly's eye? Do you want me to have a distinct "oh, that's a shot by *insert namehere*" like yours? I'm sure you're not making this personal but are you really judging my photographic skills and abilities from a Flickr accountI barely even attend to? I don't even post all my stuff in my blog. Most of my photos are of events from the Filipino organization I'm in. Unlikeothers on here, I do not like to post photos of my friends, family or people in my organization on NT. I'm not fond of sharing photos of 'unknown'people nor do I enjoy looking at photos of people I don't really know. Also, are the quality of the photos which I did post on Flickr that bad that they donot qualify me to have reached my camera's full-potential? I think it's a bit more difficult to capture 'mind-blowing' shots of people that ofpanoramic landscapes with sunsets and etc. Unfortunately, landscape, panoramas or HDR aren't of my interest. I do event photography and only look tocapture the right moments at the right time. I'm in the process of compiling my work and putting them on a website. If you don't think I'm worthyof that either, let me know.

I upgraded to full-frame because I love it's performance under low-light as well as the wonderful bokeh it can produce. I no longer wanted the 40D simplybecause switching back and forth between cropped and full-frame is a real pain. I got a 5D Mark II because I wanted to run dual full-frame bodies. Too muchtime is wasted swapping lenses for the right focal length.

As for my 50s, the f/1.8 I had already stated was sold. I got the 50L because of the extra stop and better build quality in comparison to the f/1.4. I'mstill in the process of deciding which of the two give better image quality. If I decide to stick with the 1.4, no biggie, I'll just sell the 50L. I have aprime trinity because a zoom lens cannot achieve the same narrow depths of field.

If you believe that I have no right to upgrade to the equipment that I have, great, that's your opinion. I'm working on getting into weddingphotography with the help of my friends who have plenty of experience in it. I take photos for myself, my friends, my organization, my family and my clients.I'm not here to try and entertain you or any other NTers.

As for the dude that believes you can take the same photos with a D40 and kit lens...please...show us. I'd like to see how you can achieve such narrowdepth of field at f/3.5.

If you guys aren't 'mind-blown' by the photos I post on here or on my Flickr...how about you critique and let me know how those'non-mind-blowing' shots can be improved. If a bunch of you don't think my photos are all that great then I'll quit sharing info on here, butdon't expect me to down-grade my gear just because of what you guys think.

Santi...
laugh.gif

i was playin about the 70-200mm and 200-400mm
laugh.gif

i dont think i can even afford a telephoto zoom lens that fast.

In reality all I really want is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, and a faster all around and walk around zoom lens (and the either the Tamron17-50mm f/2.8 or the Tokina 16-50mm f/2.
glasses.gif
I'm still not sold on either lens, I'm gonna have to actually try them before I buy one. I've read mixedreviews on both (not bad, but just focusing issues by some) Tamron is $300 cheaper than the Tokina though. :/

this hobby is gonna make me go crazy...

wow this thread took a sharp turn somewhere - lmao

I'm not going to get into specifics, but there's a guy here that has taken some cheap shoots at me - not directly but indirectly. My statement to himwas/is that photography is an art a way of self expression. Someone my think that bright colors/nice landscapes/beautiful subjects is enough to have a"awesome" picture. Truth be told that I have posted all my work here because I just don't have that much. There have been plenty of times thatpeople have like what I know I have hated and vice versa. WHY? Because different people have different taste.

I'm not in here to defend people or get on peoples bad side. I'm here to enjoy myself and share my work as well as look at others work for pureentertainment. As most of you all know the reason I bought my camera and I know what I know now (which is not much) was because of this thread and because ofthe info some of you posted (Santi-eBay-Rap to mention a few).

I remember I saw a picture once here and I thought OmG that picture is awesome - I asked how you did that and I got a steady hand - LMAO - I know that was BS asteady hand had nothing to do with it - maybe and just maybe you did it free handed but PS did all the work. People like that are not helping but rather thinkthat they are the @%!# when in fact - you are just being wrong for not helping others out.

Just because Rap upgraded his gear does not mean he needs to take what you call mind blowing photos. You best believe if I'll sell my entire sneakercollection for photography equipment I would of have done exactly what he has done. It's a hobby (for now) so why demand stuff. Mind you I have seen somework that I'm like really why post that (to include mines) but then I seen a few pictures of the same people and I'm like WOW that is amazing. Even ifthey continue posting what I think is less than stellar pictures, who am I to critic his work at most all I do is try to give some advice. Granted Rap has notposted a lot of pictures here, but from what he has posted I have like a lot. If you think they are mind blowing or not - well you aren't buying hisequipment so why bother. Some would say that's an act of hatretisim.

I don't know why I continue writing if my grammar is all jacked up and I'm sure someone that hasn't posted not even a damn picture is going to comeup in here correct me and criticize someones picture ..

Anyway, with all that crap said a picture can be very simple but yet so complex it can tell a lot from a person or from the scene - so just because theyaren't landmarks or glamors shots - they do not mean they aren't spectacular. So lets keep this one clean and lets go about our business and post morepictures people.

P.S. Lets start posting pictures straight of the camera no editing!!

I edited this because I didn't want to call no one out!

These are from last weekend, my 1st time shooting people and outside. I was just walking around NYC and these are some of the pics I came home with ..

Let me know what you all think - what can i do better - what I did wrong etc.

3236711170_8ba59a0865.jpg

3235866507_d820610c61.jpg

3235866249_8e9494c8db.jpg

3235866101_1dc2cd82c6.jpg

3235865555_d40a72bbce.jpg

Bonus

3236710388_cf35928ccd.jpg

LOL

P.S. You think some of these could benefit from some kind of Photoshop work? Whether it be B/W or vignetting effect?

These were shotsemiauto with 400 or 800 iso cause it was dark in there and I didn't want to use flash. Is there a way to get better quality photos with a stock Nikonlens?

elboricua 6, good personalities. i like the one with the chick in the trash can and it says "dont be trashy." good catch on that one

rapsizzle, i like your pics despite all the beef going on. plus you're always willing to provide help

jcinista, you're first food pic is good. you might want to take a higher angle on the other ones and focus on one plate placed in the foreground. thatsjust my personal taste tho. i'll post some of mine later

lets get back to pictures and get rid of the nonsense. this was the one thread where everyone was really acting as a community.

just got lucky, i took pics of a sunset yesterday. would it be cool to put that in towards the game?

one photographer may think his work is less than good, and another may think it's great.

it's all in the eye of the beholder. kind of like a painting. ya know?
smile.gif

I was at a hardcore show in Stockholm in August and there was a guy there taking photos like pro, taking all the room he needed to have dope photos and also hetook his time even though he was standing right in front of the band. I was really impressed and was real curious to see how his photos came out, now found outwho he is and it seems he was hired by the band to document their tour for a couple of days. Peep his flickr for really dope bandphotos.

http://flickr.com/photos/mateuspatche/

The photo above is one I took with internal flash on my 40d. If I took that photo today I would have used different settings (and composition) but hey.

One of his thats really cool:
2918857012_5e953e21bd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom