*OFFICIAL* NIKE LEBRON 15

LeBron XV Review
IMG_0106.JPG

First Impression: The upper is nice looking, has a "quality" knit vibe to it in hand. The pull straps are gigantic, and if they weren't so helpful getting in and out of the shoe, they would be even more overwhelming. The midsole/sole combo visually looks like you would be sitting high off the court, but doesn't feel that way at all. Doesn't feel anything like an Air Max shoe or the way the LeBron X sits off the ground. Overall, doesn't strike me necessarily as a hoop shoe on first glance, but doesn't look as "trainer-ish" as the XIV's did.
IMG_0178.JPG

Fit/Size: The million dollar question with any new model is, how do they fit? Well these are pretty close to the XIV's, size wise. The width could be a problem for some wide-footers, these are a tad snug, but a bit longer than the XIV's. I basically was between a 9 and 9.5 on the XIV's, needed a 9 for width, and a 9.5 for length. On the XV, the 9.0 fits very well. Snug like I like it, but plenty long with room in the toe box. I think those who want a good tight fit will be happy going down a half size, and others with wide feet or who like a bit of room can be happy going true to size.

Lockdown/Lacing: The lockdown is improved. The one piece upper is a bit thicker, with better construction and materials. The result is a more "sock like" feel and coverage of the top of the foot. The ankle opening has a stretchable material that you actually pull apart to get in and out, hence the giant thick pull tabs, triple stitched on the front and back. These are there for function, not form, and are very necessary for access. The good part is, it creates a really nice secure fit once in. The lacing also feels a bit more integrated into this design and you can feel the laces actually help get that final position in the shoe. But as always with a one piece upper construction, sizing is key to get a really good fit with the proper lockdown, the lacing won't make that significant of a difference. I personally liked the elastic upper around the ankle, because it seals around your ankle once in, the pull tabs aren't hanging off your ankle/leg like other models that have a one piece upper do. Will be interesting to see how this area holds up over weeks of in and out wear.
IMG_0103.JPG

Weight: 16 oz., size 9. (XIV was 15.4 ounces, for reference). So not a significant difference created by the new cushion system.

Tech/Performance: The two biggest changes this year are the cushioning and the upper. So taking each in turn, let's start with the upper. The flyknit is unique, it has thick spots and has the elastic (spandex-like) part around the ankle and opening. There is a bit more structure to the entire upper based upon this new material. It feels kind of like the Kobe 9 elite knit upper, similar feel to touch. Very comfortable on, doesn't seem like much, if any, break in will be required, maybe just to match the foot to the insole. The heel counter is nice, and grabs the back of the foot/heel pretty nicely, but I also think it has to do with the way the upper is constructed to be a bit more "wrapping" of the foot.
IMG_0140.JPG

As for the cushioning, definitely a difference (upgrade) on the step in comfort. On the court, the new Max Air Zoom bags were noticeable, but not so significantly better than the XIV's cushioning. The outsoles are very stiff right away, and after two 3-hour hoop sessions, I didn't notice much of a change. Maybe the soles will break in with more use, and be a little more flexible, it's possible. I think NightWing compared the cushioning setup to the X and I believe he said "top 5" cushioning in the XV's of all hoop shoes. I don't think I would put these there. It's a good setup, but it feels a lot like the KD X, and an upgraded plusher version of the XIV's. The forefoot area is still lacking support, it's not super springy, I didn't feel the bounce like I thought I would. I think people like me looking at the bags with high hopes (like me!) may be slightly disappointing if their intention is to ball in them. Casual wearers will like the new setup more, because it feels nice when just walking around. On court the responsive feel is still there like the XIV, which is rather impressive given the air bag setup. The transition is good, and the way the bags are grouped in 3 regions, the flexibility from toe to heel transitions is pretty similar to the LBJ XIV's and KD 9 and KD X. Were very comfy right away, and remained so hours into each session. Was in no hurry to take them off after we were done each day.
IMG_0165.JPG

Traction: Traction pattern is completely revamped. The former digital "pixel" looking pattern has been tossed in favor of a tight pyramid pattern from toe to heel. I play on pretty clean courts, and I found the traction was decent with these. I think the translucent sole may have a tad more grip, but I only played in the Ashes, didn't wear the Ghosts on court to find out, maybe I can give that a try this week just for the heck of it. I feel like I'm never really impressed with the traction in the LeBron line, and I guess this year is no different. Jordan Brand seems to know something Nike Basketball doesn't when putting outsole patterns on their models, or Nike Basketball isn't willing to use that same strategy. The Jordan XX9, XXX, XXXI and XXXII all have great on court traction, sticky even, and I feel like Nike sigs (Kyrie, KD, Bron, now PG1) haven't found that same level of traction recently.
IMG_9171.JPG

Overall: The XV is a solid hoop shoe that I think guards and small forwards will really like for the fit and stable cushioning setup that is still very responsive to the court. I can't see a lot of true big men wearing these, since it's a fairly soft knit upper shoe with not a lot of traditional structure and height. Comparing the XV to the XIV, the fit is better, the upper is better, lockdown is better, the cushioning is slightly better, responsiveness is the same, traction is about the same, weight is pretty close. Maybe it's just me and my reluctance to embrace the one piece upper design as a "real" hoop shoe that makes me not as high on these. I think the Max Air Zoom bags had me a little too excited for these, and is leaving me a bit disappointed, maybe over time I will come around on them. The cushioning is good, by no means is not a good setup, but it's not "great" like I had hoped when I first saw them. These feel like a better built version of the XIV to me, with no strap. To me, the air bags are visually extremely nice, but are a bit underwhelming on court. I expected more from these than the KDX, and I don't really think the XV is that much better than the KD's. Looks wise, these were much better in hand than I had initially thought. These didn't grow on me in pictures so much as when I got them and put them on. They look very nice on foot on court and are different than most hoop shoes. The Ashes have a really great simple vibe. The swoosh on the heel is my absolute favorite part of the XV.
IMG_0108.JPG

Just my thoughts, I'm sure others will find things they like better/worse. Excited to hear what everyone else experiences with these.

Last edited:
Great review dwoodactennis dwoodactennis - I am hoping the shoe will be more responsive with more wears, but good to know that you found the max zoom bags not as responsive as you initially hoped they would be. I think the visual appeal of the battleknit and the versatility of the shoe for casual wear will make these a hit, but I was hoping they'd be just as solid from a performance standpoint. I wonder what the fascination with the one-piece bootie upper is when it comes to hoops shoes as of late stems from, but I am not a fan haha.

I think the Max Air Zoom bags had me a little too excited for these, and is leaving me a bit disappointed, maybe over time I will come around on them. The cushioning is good, by no means is not a good setup, but it's not "great" like I had hoped when I first saw them. These feel like a better built version of the XIV to me, with no strap. To me, the air bags are visually extremely nice, but are a bit underwhelming on court. I expected more from these than the KDX, and I don't really think the XV is that much better than the KD's.

Great review. So which shoe(s) do you personally prefer for cushioning over the 15?

Good review. I would say I’ve experienced similiar in most aspects for this shoe. I for one experienced far greater cushioning in the LBJ 15 over the KD 10. For one the KD 10 for me had a more firm midsole and a lower profile zoom set up.

It can also depend on weight and play style depending what kind of torque and stress you put on the shoe. In that sense the cushioning can be different on a case by case basis. I feel like te forefoot bags are a lot more springy for me.

I played with these and the 32 on the same court and i feel these have a slight superior traction set up. The floor was rather clean and although the 32 squeaks ALOT I had a few cases wear my foot slid across the floor where as in these (ghost translucent outsole) they were a lot more tacky.

Looking forward to playing in these for the next while to see where the deficiencies are.

I do yes.

The 15 doesn’t need much of any break in time. The 32 on the other hand took a good 4-5 hours to break in the midsole. It was beyond stiff for me. After that the shoe was pretty damn stellar overall. A few slips with the traction here or there but other than that great, the only thing that bugged me about the 32 was it’s lack of forefoot stability.

Great review. So which shoe(s) do you personally prefer for cushioning over the 15?

I still like and play in the LeBron 14's, Jordan XXX's, Solider 9's, but probably play the most in the PG1's.
PG1's are my favorite Nike sig of the last 2 seasons, best overall performer in my opinion.

Good review. I would say I’ve experienced similiar in most aspects for this shoe. I for one experienced far greater cushioning in the LBJ 15 over the KD 10. For one the KD 10 for me had a more firm midsole and a lower profile zoom set up.
It can also depend on weight and play style depending what kind of torque and stress you put on the shoe. In that sense the cushioning can be different on a case by case basis. I feel like te forefoot bags are a lot more springy for me.
I played with these and the 32 on the same court and i feel these have a slight superior traction set up. The floor was rather clean and although the 32 squeaks ALOT I had a few cases wear my foot slid across the floor where as in these (ghost translucent outsole) they were a lot more tacky.
Looking forward to playing in these for the next while to see where the deficiencies are.

Yeah I'm sure it can vary from player to player. I'm 6'3" 190 lbs and play swingman for the most part. Not in the paint as much anymore, and not the quickest guard running from end to end.

I just thought after 4 good days with them, there would be something more in terms of "bounce" and cushion. Still seemed very stiff and little spring to them this morning on day 3.

The forefoot bag seems like it was huge when JP was holding it in hand, but on foot it seems like it cuts short from where the palm of my foot is actually making contact in the shoe, and doesn't provide much feedback when I'm making cuts or sudden stops.
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

A few of my buddies grabbed Ghosts and have played in them, I talked to a couple of them this morning and they echoed similar things about being let down by the cushioning on court. We all were really shocked by the reviewers so far saying "best cushion setup in years," but some reviewers have other motives (free shoes), and frankly they could have different experiences. We all have different bodies and feet, so it certainly could vary.

I felt like I gave them a really good workout 4 days in a row and just don't feel anymore spring to them than the KD X's, which was a let down. I still like them, just don't think they are off the charts.

Was really looking for something to replace my current PG1's on court and not sure these will do it.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure it can vary from player to player. I'm 6'3" 190 lbs and play swingman for the most part. Not in the paint as much anymore, and not the quickest guard running from end to end.

I just thought after 4 good days with them, there would be something more in terms of "bounce" and cushion. Still seemed very stiff and little spring to them this morning on day 3.

The forefoot bag seems like it was huge when JP was holding it in hand, but on foot it seems like it cuts short from where the palm of my foot is actually making contact in the shoe, and doesn't provide much feedback when I'm making cuts or sudden stops.
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

A few of my buddies grabbed Ghosts and have played in them, I talked to a couple of them this morning and they echoed similar things about being let down by the cushioning on court. We all were really shocked by the reviewers so far saying "best cushion setup in years," but some reviewers have other motives (free shoes), and frankly they could have different experiences. We all have different bodies and feet, so it certainly could vary.

I felt like I gave them a really good workout 4 days in a row and just don't feel anymore spring to them than the KD X's, which was a let down. I still like them, just don't think they are off the charts.

Was really looking for something to replace my current PG1's on court and not sure these will do it.
Word!! I hear ya. I definently understand about the forefoot zoom, seems like they did cut the bag short instead of really being full length, and damn were essentially the same height, I’m 6 2 and 195 lbs, I felt a bit more spring then you from the sounds of it but I have put about 12 hours in them this far. From the first wear until the most recent i definently have felt the midsole soften up a bit more.

I thought the same thing trying on the ghosts. I was waiting on that KD9 spring and it wasn't there. Admittedly, in-store try on only, but they felt really... normal.

Ugh if they feel like the KD X then I'd pass on these. I guess hoping these were the KD 9s on steroids was wishful thinking.

Wow really disappointed hearing that there is no LBJ 10 Elite or regular bounce or KD9 bounce (never wore them to narrow). Will wait for more reviews about the breaking in of the zoom air as more people wear them. With the early reviews seems like going after the 14's sub $100 is something to really take into consideration.

Interesting, was really thinking about picking these up..

My only concern is the laterally stability and the lack off an outrigger on the outsole. Seems like if your ankle is in a position to roll laterally, these shoes may not prevent the roll as much as other shoes could.

Though I am no expert, perhaps Nike engineered to outrigger in the footbed? Whereby the midsole is somewhat rounded to mitigate any side-to-side instability?

Back
Top Bottom