Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

With Rosival, Staal, Mara, Tyutin, Girardi, and Backman, I dont think the Rangers need any defensemen. I mean yeah Orpik or Streit would obviously help, butthat is a very young, very solid 6 defensemen.

they are solid defensemen but none of them can score goals consistently and none of them are big hitters.... sure they did their job in the defensive zone butnone of them can quarterback a powerplay or hit anybody

I dont know, you tell me addicted, I'm a Devils fan remember lol. The Devils have the same problems, Salvador sucks and was the worst person they couldhave picked up. I hate Colin White with a passion. I'd keep Oduya, Martin, Green, and Vishnevski, and try to get a guy like Streit. Obviously that is notthe only problem the Devils have, scoring is an absolute necessity.

If I was Lou Lamoriello I would do my best to get Marian Hossa no matter how much cap room he takes up.... they need a goal scorer in the worst way... forgetabout defense (even though that is something the Devils will never do)

Detroit Red Wings set a press conference for tommorow afternoon. Most likely, to announce Hasek's retirement.

Thank God.

Hasek to announce retirement on Monday
Sources tell TSN that Detroit Red Wings goaltender Dominik Hasek will announce his retirement on Monday.
The Red Wings have called a news conference at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit for 11am et/8am pt.

Hasek leaves the NHL as one of the most important goaltenders the game has ever seen. From 1993 to 2001, The Dominator won six Vezina Trophies and became the first goalie to win consecutive Hart Trophies.

He followed up his domination in the late 1990's by becoming the first European starting goaltender to win a Stanley Cup in 2002, setting a record with six shutouts in the playoffs.

This season, Hasek won 27 games with a goals-against-average of 2.14 this season, appearing in 41 games while he shared duties with Chris Osgood. In the playoffs, he appeared in just four games against the Nashville Predators in the first round.

Hasek began his NHL career with the Chicago Blackhawks in 1990-91, appearing in five games. In 1992-93, the Czech Republic native moved on to Buffalo where he enjoyed his greatest individual success.

But it wasn't until he joined the Red Wings for the 2001-02 season that he won the ultimate team prize, the Stanley Cup.

After the work stoppage in 2004-05, Hasek signed with the Ottawa Senators for the 2005-06 campaign, winning 28 games and losing just 10. But last year, he returned to the Red Wings for what would turn out to be his final stop on a 16-year journey.

His unconventional and unorthodox style of flopping around his crease and sprawling on his back to make a save changed the way goalies play their position and earned him a spot among hockey's all time greats.

He did a good job for us and I am greatful for that. Nice to see him go out on top. Again.

Very excited for next year to start. I love that we have the Cup but I want to see the younger guys get a chance to prove themselves. Helm will be there and weshould see a DMan or 2 crack the 3rd line. I am gonna guess Chelli will stick around and love it for the fact that if he produces nothing on the ice, the youngpups (Quincey, Kindl, Ericcson, Meech) will all get a chance to learn some stuff from him. Having him and Lid around to help develop these players is a verynice. Our forwards are gonna be tough to compete with. Seems like Drake will be gone and thewn you have to look at McCarty and Maltby looking outside inpossibly. Abdelkader could play and so could Matthias, so it will be fun to watch.

Also, the Draft the past 2 years have intrigued me quite a bit. I actually watched the first round on VS last year just to see who Detroit picked and I knewNOTHING about the guys getting drafted. I have actually started to look at reports on the guys that Detroit will be looking at. Obviously, Stamkos is the cats%*%$ and will be a stud sooner than later. The hot name seems to be Erik Karlson from Sweden. 5-11,160lbs DMan, who is very offensively skilled and fast.Sounds like a Detroit pick. Also, Anton Gustafsson is 6-2 195lbs and seems to be another guy they will look at #30. I am excited for the Draft which soundscrazy.

stamkos is the illest stick handler the scouts have said that they have ever seen, i was on the ice with him a few times and the kid is ridiculous and also therussian kid is soo ill.

Originally Posted by Numberr97

stamkos is the illest stick handler the scouts have said that they have ever seen, i was on the ice with him a few times and the kid is ridiculous and also the russian kid is soo ill.

which Russian kid?

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by Numberr97

stamkos is the illest stick handler the scouts have said that they have ever seen, i was on the ice with him a few times and the kid is ridiculous and also the russian kid is soo ill.

which Russian kid?

Nikita Filatov.......
Originally Posted by Newbs24

Abdelkader could play and so could Matthias, so it will be fun to watch.

You guys traded away Matthias to Florida in the Bertuzzi trade.....which was not a smart move because he's going to be a very good NHL player. As amatter of fact, he scored twice in his 2nd ever NHL game.
I've played against Stamkos a couple of times and he is just the complete player. I've said it all along, he is better than JohnTavares.....yet so many people disagree with me. IMO Tavares is nothing special......well, maybe I won't go that far. He's most definitely NOT the"next" great one.......he put up some amazing numbers in the O, but all my buddies who played in the O with and against him say he doesn'tdeserve all the hype he's been getting. I see Stamkos having a much better NHL career than Tavares. I suppose we'll have to wait and see!

Ron Wilson new Head Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

pimp.gif

The Toronto Maple Leafs have called a news conference for 1:00pm et/10am pt to officially announce Ron Wilson as their new head coach.
Wilson and Leafs' general manager Cliff Fletcher verbally agreed to terms on a four-year contract over the weekend after taking some time to contemplate the Leafs offer.

"I needed a little bit of tme to wrap my head around this and make sure I was ready to handle this kind of responsibility," Wilson said on Monday. "It's been pretty unanimous from all of my collegues, that they think I can handle this responsibility. I just needed a little bit of time to let the whole decision-making process percolate and I feel very comfortable right now."

Wilson's deal is believed to be worth about $6.8 million in total over the four years.

His ulitmate goal is obvious, but Wilson acknowledged that he had some work to do in order to accomplish the dream with the Leafs.

"My goal is obviously to win a Stanley Cup, personally," Wilson said. "The team I was coaching in San Jose was starting to knock on that door. We're nowhere near as close with the Maple Leafs organization."

As for speculation about his old friend Brian Burke joining the Leafs as the general manager at some point, Wilson said he had not spoken to Burke once about the job in Toronto.

Wilson, 53, has spent the last two decades behind the bench, compiling a record of 518-446-127 over his 1,091 games with the San Jose Sharks, Washington Capitals and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. His career win totals rank third among active coaches, behind Bryan Murray and Mike Keenan. He was also an assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks in 1991 and 1992 under head coach Pat Quinn.

He enjoyed a career season in 1997-98 as head coach of the U.S. National Team at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, and also led the Capitals to the Stanley Cup Final against the Detroit Red Wings. In 1996, he coached the U.S. to victory at the inaugural World Cup of Hockey.

Wilson, who was fired last month after the Sharks were eliminated from the playoffs by the Dallas Stars, spent five years in San Jose as head coach, leading them to four straight postseason berths and the Western Conference Final in 2004. He holds club coaching records for wins (206), winning percentage (.535) and postseason games coached (52), and the Sharks put together a 206-134-45 record in the regular season and a 28-24 playoff record.

theres a rumor going around that Rangers' coach, Tom Renney, will be offered a front office job and they will try to get John Tortorella to be the newcoach....
nerd.gif

Datsyuk is hilarious. Dude can't speak English to save his life and he accepts it. He was funny when he accepted BOTH the Selke and Lady Byng trophies.Waiting for babcock and Lidstrom to get theirs as well.

^hardly....

im not saying brodeur was the best, but you take him out and put nabokov on the devils and they're as bad as the islanders

^ so your saying Brodeur is more valuable to his team than Nabokov is?....then he should just be a candidate for MVP...

Vezina goes to the BEST goaltender... it doesnt matter what team he is on or if he was on the Devils what would happen.... it goes to the best goaltender

Yeah I know what the Vezina means. I don't really agree with him getting it anyways like I said before saying Im not saying he's the best. It'skind of obvious when Nabakov gets first team all NHL and Brodeur gets 2nd. I guess maybe because he's Martin Brodeur had something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom