:: Official NBA Draft Thread - June 26, 7PM EST ::

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

/\ what he's saying is that DJ Augustin is not worth a 6th pick

ooooooooo. Except for Rose and Mayo (who is a combo-guard), who will probably be gone, who else is worth it? Westbrook?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by VIIheaven

ooooooooo. Except for Rose and Mayo (who is a combo-guard), who will probably be gone, who else is worth it? Westbrook?
grin.gif

In terms of value...yes Westbrook is worth more than Augustin...meaning if thats the guy Walsh wants...he'll probably trade down to get him. But takingAugustin straight out at 4 is a reach. Either take the best player available and use him as trade bait or swap picks with somebody picking 11-15 which is whereAugustin projects right now.

Originally Posted by VIIheaven

grin.gif

In terms of value...yes Westbrook is worth more than Augustin...meaning if thats the guy Walsh wants...he'll probably trade down to get him. But taking Augustin straight out at 4 is a reach. Either take the best player available and use him as trade bait or swap picks with somebody picking 11-15 which is where Augustin projects right now.

I suppose you're right. I'm looking through a lot of mock drafts, and DJ is anywhere from 11-16. They say he has great court leadership and cannail an NBA 3-pointer. He drives a lot, has a pass-first mentality. Downsides are his size, maybe a bit too unselfish and he's going to need to bulk up andwork on his mid-range jumper.

Westbrook's upsides are his athleticism/NBA-ready physique, wing-span and hand-size which may add up to rebounding, which we can always use more ofbecause of softees like Eddy Curry. I figure D'Antoni likes him because he'll fit in perfectly for his fast-offense since he's great in transition.He can play the 2 if needed as well.

However, he can't create his own shot, which may be necessary. His dribbling skills are par at best. Don't really have to worry about his half-courtgame, which isn't that good, but it might matter down the stretch, coming out of time-outs in close games.

Ehhhh, who knows. I guess I like the whole court leadership factor of Augustin, who knows how to run an offense.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

NBADraft.net's latest mock has Roy Hibbert back in the lottery...

Knew he'd be back up there eventually
No surprise.

I think the Kings take him at 12, and if not Utah is gona be scrambling to get him.

I would be ecstatic to get him ...

and dre beat me to it ... Rashad Lewis was in the green room until like mid-2nd I think ... son was boo-hoo-ing ... proved them wrong tho.

OJ Mayo will not slip past 4 because the Clips will more than likely jump to 4 or 5 to grab him. No way they can sit and wait for him to fall to them. theyneed something to buzz about with the Lakers obviously being the team in LA and the Clips being a disgrace.

I think there are better guys then Augustine at 6 but I think the Knicks could use him.

Every time I watched Texas he played pretty good, and I have no doubt he'll do good in the NBA. Just doesn't seem like he will bust.

Does anyone else think Beasley did look 6-10? Not 6-7? I always thought he looked huge.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Does anyone else think Beasley did look 6-10? Not 6-7? I always thought he looked huge.

When I saw him standing up straight next to Billy Walker, I knew he wasn't 6-10

Yea, but it seemed like when he was playing he was no smaller then whoever.

But damn 6-7 really isn't that big for NBA.

How tall is Bill Walker? 6-8?

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by dreClark

Jordan in the Green Room has potential..
laugh.gif
Like Brady Quinn...

laugh.gif
What's the longest a player has ever been in the Green Room? My man DJ is about to break that record...
embarassed.gif

not sure if he had to wait the longest, but rashard lewis back in 98 waited till the second round.

SMH x 10000

The Rockets actually promised dude they'd take him too. But passed when they were on the clock.

Lewis in H-Town would have been
pimp.gif

indifferent.gif
frown.gif

MAN COULD THERE BE A BIIGER DIFFERENCE IN CHAD FORD'S NEW MOCK DRAFT 6.0???? DOES THIS DUDE KNOW WHAT HE'S TAKING ABOUT??

CHAD FORD'S MOCK DRAFT
PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Chicago

Derrick Rose
Position: PG
Height: 6-3
Weight: 196
School: Memphis
The skinny: Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley finally got their close-ups in Chicago last week, and sources say that both players worked out well.

And as you can tell from their press conferences, neither pretended to be something he's not. Rose was humble and talked about leadership. Beasley wasbrash and funny and talked about scoring.

The Bulls continue to maintain that they haven't made up their minds about who they're drafting. But I'd be shocked, at this point, if it isn'tRose. The team needs leadership, defense and a player who's willing to put his team before himself -- that guy is Rose. Beasley may score more and win moreindividual awards. But ultimately, I think the Bulls will be more comfortable with the belief that Rose can take the franchise where they want it to go.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Miami

Michael Beasley
Position: PF
Height: 6-8
Weight: 239
School: Kansas State
The skinny: The Heat continue to wait and hope that somehow Rose falls to them at No. 2. Rose opted against working out in Miami, but did invite Heat brass toLos Angeles for a private workout -- though Heat team president Pat Riley didn't show up.

The Heat were scheduled to be in Chicago this weekend to watch O.J. Mayo again but they skipped the workout to see Rose.

We continue to hear that the Heat will probably trade the No. 2 pick if Rose is off the board. The latest talk has the Sonics and Heat discussing a swap thatwould send the No. 2 pick and Mark Blount to Seattle for Chris Wilcox and the No. 4 pick. The move would give the Heat a huge amount of cap space in the summerof 2009. (Wilcox is in the last year of his contract, while Blount has two years and $16 millon remaining.)

At No. 4, if Mayo were off the board, the Heat would have their choice of Jerryd Bayless, Russell Westbrook or Brook Lopez. All three would fit a need forthem.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Minnesota

O.J. Mayo
Position: SG
Height: 6-4
Weight: 200
School: USC
The skinny: The Wolves remain the most difficult team to peg right now.

As of Sunday, the word out of Minnesota was that the team will draft O.J. Mayo if Beasley is off the board. Though Mayo doesn't fit a need, he would beconsidered the best player available, and that appears to be swaying Minnesota in his direction.

At the same time, a lot of trade talk surrounds this pick. The Knicks, Clippers, Bucks and Trail Blazers all have tried to maneuver to get this pick. The Bucksmay have the best chance of succeeding if they offer Yi Jianlian or Charlie Villanueva as part of a package.

If the Wolves trade down, their target seems to be Brook Lopez or Kevin Love.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Seattle

Russell Westbrook
Weight: 192
School: UCLA
The skinny: We've had Jerryd Bayless at No. 4 since our first mock draft, but we've gathered enough information over the weekend to suggest that theSonics may be leaning in another direction.

GM Sam Presti is notoriously tough to read, but sources say it appears that Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon and Brook Lopez are strongly in the mix at No. 4.

The Sonics have been talking to other teams about moving down a few spots with an eye toward drafting Westbrook, Gordon or Lopez. But with the Knicks'strong interest in Westbrook and Gordon at No. 6 and the Clippers looking at Westbrook, Gordon and Lopez at No. 7, the guy they want may not be there.

So why Westbrook? Two reasons: upside and defense. The Sonics have time to let players develop and Westbrook could turn into a better shooting version of RajonRondo down the road.

The Sonics also want Michael Beasley and are trying to work out a deal with the Heat to get up to No. 2, as noted above. Beasley and Kevin Durant are bestfriends and the Sonics think a pairing of the two scorers would be devastating.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Memphis

Eric Gordon
Position: SG
Weight: 222
School: Indiana
The skinny: For weeks we've been hearing that the Grizzlies are high on UCLA's Kevin Love. He fits a need, is one of the more NBA-ready players in thedraft and would be popular in Memphis.

He still could be the pick. But there's a growing chorus saying that the Grizzlies are looking strongly at Indiana's Eric Gordon -- an athletic,sweet-shooting 2 guard -- with the pick.

Even stronger are rumors that the Grizzlies are talking to a number of teams, including the Knicks, Blazers and Suns, about deals that would send the No. 5pick to whomever is willing to take Brian Cardinal's awful contract (2 years, $13 million left). The latest buzz has the Knicks talking to Memphis about adeal that would send David Lee and the expiring contract of Malik Rose to Memphis for No. 5 and Cardinal.

In other words, it sounds like GM Chris Wallace is, once again, being pushed by ownership to cut payroll.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

New York

Danilo Gallinari
Position: SF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 212
The skinny: OK, we've come full circle.

We had Danilo Gallinari at the Knicks in our first mock draft, but dropped him when a Suns source said that Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni wasn't a bigfan. Apparently Gallinari's workout, combined with some research, has changed that opinion. Gallinari has worked out well everywhere and it sounds like theKnicks are comfortable with him here.

Russell Westbrook is also a strong possibility if he is on the board. Ditto for Jerryd Bayless. Joe Alexander is the dark horse -- Knicks brass watched himwork out for a second time on Friday.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

L.A. Clippers

Jerryd Bayless
Weight: 204
School: Arizona
The skinny: The Clippers have been trying to move up in the draft to get Mayo or Bayless. In this scenario, they have Bayless drop into their lap.

The Clippers are in desperate need of guards, and Mayo, Bayless, Westbrook and Gordon appear to be atop their board. Bayless' shooting and scoring abilitywould be a welcome addition to the Clippers, even as many scouts question whether he has what it takes to be a full-time point guard in the pros.

The other potential scenario for the Clippers is a trade. They've been talking to the Suns about a deal that would send Corey Maggette and No. 7 to Phoenixfor Leandro Barbosa and No. 15.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Milwaukee

Joe Alexander
Position: SF
Height: 6-8
Weight: 220
School: West Virginia
The skinny: Alexander is a high energy forward who impressed GM John Hammond and new head coach Scott Skiles with his toughness and grit. That's exactlywhat the Bucks are going for right now. Hammond wants to change the culture in Milwaukee and Alexander has that capability. He also fits a need. The Bucks willbe shopping Bobby Simmons (along with just about everyone else) hard this summer.

It sounds like Anthony Randolph is the other player the Bucks are looking at closely here. However, Randolph is further away than Alexander right now.Alexander is still a work in progress too, but if he figures things out he has a chance to be really special.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Charlotte

Kevin Love
Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 255
School: UCLA
The skinny: If the draft plays out this way, Charlotte will have a very difficult decision to make. The Bobcats have been looking for a big man so they canslide Emeka Okafor over to the 4 full-time, and Brook Lopez would be a great complement to Okafor up front.

But a lot of teams are questioning Lopez's upside. Teams love size, but they don't see Lopez as a star NBA player. That's where Love comes in.He's a Larry Brown type of player -- he knows how to "play the right way." Love would bring toughness, rebounding, basketball IQ and the abilityto step in and contribute right now. While he doesn't have ideal size, he knows his way around the basket.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

New Jersey

Brook Lopez
Position: C
Height: 7-0
Weight: 258
School: Stanford
The skinny: This is a dream scenario for the Nets if it happens. Lopez may have been projected too high at No. 3, but he would be a steal at this point in thedraft. The Nets have been looking for a strong, scoring big man for years and Lopez really fits the bill.

If he's not here, other names to listen for are Danilo Gallinari (if available) and Robin Lopez, Brook's brother.

PICK
TEAM
PLAYER
VITALS

Indiana

D.J. Augustin
Height: 6-0
Weight: 172
School: Texas
The skinny: The Pacers have been eyeing two point guards -- D.J. Augustin and Russell Westbrook -- for a while.

Westbrook looks like he'll be long gone. He canceled his workout with the Pacers last week and hasn't rescheduled. That leaves Augustin, who's anexcellent fallback option for the Pacers. Augustin is a better floor leader than Westbrook and a better perimeter shooter, and he's more ready to step inand play right away. He should be an excellent fit for Indiana.

If Augustin and Westbrook are gone, the Pacers could reach for the next-best point guard on the board: Mario Chalmers. No. 11 may seem a little high for him,but he has been generating serious buzz in workouts.

The Pacers might also go in another direction if they could move Jermaine O'Neal for a veteran point guard such as T.J. Ford or Kirk Hinrich. In that case,Kosta Koufos or a similar prospect could be the choice.

This is what I've heard on the KU guys ...

Brandon Rush - anywhere from #9-17 - everyone who's worked him out says there are others with better potential, but none that are ready for NBA play"right now" like Brandon. He's actually surpassed Arther on most draft boards as the first Jayhawk off the board.
Darrel Arthur - anywhere from #13-19 - I guess we'll see how much impact the combine numbers have. Darrel's numbers weren't stupendous, but neitherwere Durant's.
Mario Chalmers - anywhere from #14-27 - I seriously think he'll go in the 20's, but point guard has been a priority of a lot of teams here lately.
Sasha Kaun - mid/late 2nd round - his mom is in Russia and he's been away from her for 8 years. I'd assume he'll go home for a few years. He'sgoing to get paid like a lottery pick anyway.
Darnell Jackson - early/mid 2nd round - I've never saw one single basketball player improve his game from one year to another like DJack did. If I were abetting man, I'd put money on him to make an NBA squad. He hates to fail.
Russel Robinson - undrafted - Russel might give the D-league or overseas a try. I could also see him becoming the student assistant for Self.

/\ yall gave on Brendan Wright already?
not at all. but we definitely need help inside, whoever it is that can provide that. Wright is our future, but we'd like to get rid of AlHarrington, or at least, a lot of us Warrior fans do.

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Sasha Kaun - early 2nd round - his mom is in Russia and he's been away from her for 8 years. I'd assume he'll go home for a few years. He's going to get paid like a lottery pick anyway.

laugh.gif
Sasha aint gettin drafted if they had three rounds let alone earlysecond. He already signed for his deal in Russia anyway.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Dude said Sasha Kaun gettin drafted
laugh.gif

Reading is fundamental. I never said he was "gettin drafted." I said he will most likely go to Russia to be around his mom.. I edited what Ityped earlier. If he does get drafted, he's a mid to late 2nd rounder. All the info I got above is from KU themed message boards, so the outlook is goingto be a little rosier coming from them than most others.

Back
Top Bottom