Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
serviceable big men is easy to find in the nba. look at birdman birdman, he couldve been had by any team. hasheem probably could do just as good of a job as perk

Wow Mark Jackson finished 7 and Tom Thibodeau 8 in Coach Of The Year voting. That's a bunch of BS  
mean.gif
FLAW *** voting, no way shape form or fashion does George Karl deserve a CoTY award
mean.gif
How though. He has a team of second and third options in a superstar league and led them to more wins than they should have. They had the second longest streak this year.

Mark Jackson had a better team and almost fell out of the playoffs

Thibs could have an argument for a winner though. I can't think of any other team that could have so many injuries and not have a huge drop off
Golden State wasnt even projected to make the playoffs so we cant even use the argument that they were better in this case. Mark Jackson took that team to the playoffs when they were even projected to get 35 wins.

I have never heard anyone refer to Mike Brown as a great coach, and he won 60 games twice and 50 games twice. It was well noted that Mike Brown rarely drew up any offensive plays. Erick Spoelstra is clearly a Riley disciple as far a defense is concerned, but has been more of a manager of egos than anything.

Lebron probably has a better basketball IQ than most coaches in the league including his own HC.

Brown catches A LOT of hate for no reason. His offenses aren't super creative and those clips of him looking like a moron on youtube don't help but the guy's records speak for itself. Those Cleveland teams had NO business being elite defensive teams and he had them playing top 3 and top 5 defense. He also had the Lakers playing well in the lockout year and this year we saw how difficult it is to get a team with Kobe, Pau, and a slow center to play any sort of defense. #Random

Karl definitely deserved it. The team had no all stars - no all NBA players - and they were crushing the league for most of the season. Playoffs are a completely different animal and we saw how much not having Gallo ended up hurting them - but regular season, they were destroying teams man. COY is always an award that 5-7 coaches can win, depending on your definition of the award, but I don't see how you can be mad at Karl no matter what your definition is. Thibs, Spolestra, Pop, Hollins, Vogel are definitely in the conversation but only one can win.

Whoever voted for PJ Carlisimo should be fired on the spot. :x Can't believe these dudes get PAID to do this

Serious question...what starting centers in the NBA would you guys take Kendrick Perkins over?

Like I said a few pages back, Perkins is about the only starting center in the league I would NOT swap for DeAndre Jordan. He might be a little better than Jordan overall, but I don't think he'd help the Clippers any more than DJ does.

Some people are saying that Spoelstra was wearing some Fake Js what you guys think??

Last edited:
Serious question...what starting centers in the NBA would you guys take Kendrick Perkins over?

Like I said a few pages back, Perkins is about the only starting center in the league I would NOT swap for DeAndre Jordan. He might be a little better than Jordan overall, but I don't think he'd help the Clippers any more than DJ does.

Same here, well there are players worse than perkins starting at the 5 not many though

Just playing the devil's advocate here, remember its a regular season award. The only way to measure the impact of a coach is by win-loss. The nuggets finished 3rd in a stacked west, and no they weren't full strength. The dubs finished 6th. the bulls finished 5th in a weak eastern conference just a game up on the Hawks. Only other coaches possibly in the conversation are Woodson or Vogel.
Mark Jackson took a team that wasn't even projected to make the playoffs there in a stacked west

So did McHale though.

Historically, if you look at the guys that have won it with the exception of Hubie and Sam Mitchell, it usually isn't won coaching a middle of the pack squad.

Perkins has no usefulness at all. Defending bigs was supposed to be his calling card and justification for his massive 9million dollar salary, but he is getting cooked there too. He is a complete liability in every way imaginable and nobody is scared of him and his fake toughness, just racks up unneeded technicals. Dude is -57 in 87 minutes and in every game so far. Literally like clockwork, when he sits down we go on runs, when he comes back the opposition does (11-2 in the 3rd last night) but Brooks just won't keep him out of the game.

And DeAndre Jordan is miles better than him, unless you are taking contracts into account and even still I think I'd pay the extra 2 million for the athleticism and ability to make a dunk

Perkins has no usefulness at all. Defending bigs was supposed to be his calling card and justification for his massive 9million dollar salary, but he is getting cooked there too. He is a complete liability in every way imaginable and nobody is scared of him and his fake toughness, just racks up unneeded technicals. Dude is -57 in 87 minutes and in every game so far. Literally like clockwork, when he sits down we go on runs, when he comes back the opposition does (11-2 in the 3rd last night) but Brooks just won't keep him out of the game.

And DeAndre Jordan is miles better than him, unless you are taking contracts into account and even still I think I'd pay the extra 2 million for the athleticism and ability to make a dunk

I hear you. Players like that are very frustrating to watch especially when they're getting cooked night in and night out by other 7 footers or even worse 6'8/6'9 PF's. :x

Last edited:

I understand what he brings to the table, but this guy is terrible. He cannot rebound, block shots, alter shots, score, shoot free throws. He's just a big body that's tough. If OKC could somehow get Paul Millsap and move Ibaka to the 5 :x . I just really don't see why they are so concerned with matching up with size when they have the 2nd best player in basketball and a top 5-7 player. Are the Heat concerned with matching up against size? Then, why would OKC be so concerned? Beat teams with your game.

He was brought in because the Thunder lost to the Lakers in the 2010 semis. Bynum and Gasol gave the Thunder trouble and they had no one to match up with them, especially Bynum. Perkins has been known to have Bynum's number ever since 2008. Bynum is not in the West anymore and the Lakers are trash which renders Perkins useless. So he getting paid because he abused Bynum a few times in the past.

I feel the leadership and toughness factor is overrated when it comes to Kendrick "Thomas the Tank Engine" Perkins.

He was brought in because the Thunder lost to the Lakers in the 2010 semis. Bynum and Gasol gave the Thunder trouble and they had no one to match up with them, especially Bynum. Perkins has been known to have Bynum's number ever since 2008. Bynum is not in the West anymore and the Lakers are trash which renders Perkins useless. So he getting paid because he abused Bynum a few times in the past.

DatZNasty and other Thunder fans,

Was getting Perk and becoming a bigger team the reason why the team went from a fringe playoff team to a contender?

Or was it simply cause KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden grew into their own? Which would've happened more or less anyway, with or without Perkins.

Some say getting rid of Jeff Green opened up room for the rest (especially Harden), but I dunno if I believe that.

The sad thing is, the past few years have seen plenty of young, good-defending bigs come into the league for cheap (Vucavic, Asik, Valanciunas, etc) who would have been perfect for Thunder. Not even gonna get started on the lack of rebounding between Perk and Ibaka :x

DatZNasty and other Thunder fans,

Was getting Perk and becoming a bigger team the reason why the team went from a fringe playoff team to a contender?

Or was it simply cause KD, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden grew into their own? Which would've happened more or less anyway, with or without Perkins.

Some say getting rid of Jeff Green opened up room for the rest (especially Harden), but I dunno if I believe that.
It was a good move at the time if you take out of account the contract which was horrendous. He had just tore his ACL, and hadn't yet played on it and we trade for him which I'm fine with, but then you give him an extension on his 2nd day in town worth 4ys 36 million. Can we at least wait and see how he looks on his knee?

Again though, at the time we were playing Jeff Green at the 4, and there was teams with bigs and tandems like Nene in the West, Bynum and Gasol, Tim Duncan and Splitter, Gasol and Randolph, and having Green starting at the 4 and Nenad's soft as wet charmin non defensive *** wasn't going to get it done. So yes, it made us better, balanced our lineup as it moved Serge into the starting 4 and James Harden got more minutes off the bench and we see what he became.

But the 1 type of player he can be decently effective against, is becoming extinct and you just can't justify him and all his blunders at his contract figure. If we had him a 5mil and had a coach who understood matchups i.e when to play him and when to sit him, it'd be an entirely different situation.

That's really the crux of the problem. Coaching. Spo, for example, ices his bigs for sometimes weeks at a time only to bring them back when the matchups dictate so.

It's clockwork. You think I am just complaining but Saturday take note, just write down the score every time Perk sits down and/or when he comes in. Obviously +/- and other advanced stats cover this and I assume the game commentators mention it but instant run for the other team when he's in, run for us when he sits.

That said, nobody other than KD, Fisher, and Jackson are even looking like rotation players on a playoff team since Russ went down.

When you watch them off the court and listen to how they talk, there does seem to be an intangible leadership value there, guys listen to him and seem to say glowing things about him and I certainly can appreciate his work ethic how much weight he loses every offseason (how it doesn't amount to being faster though is beyond me), but again all our guys are media savvy, company line guys too so they'd never publically criticize him anyways.

But Brooks has a major mancrush on him, or Perk has blackmail material on him.

Last edited:
Asik ain't exactly very cheap anymore, and Vucevic and Jonas won't be cheap for very much longer.

George Karl just a great coaching job this season.

57 wins in the West without an All Star caliber player is awesome.

Spo is a good coach

But Mike Brown won 66 games with Lebron too

Put it this way, I think if Pop or Thibs are coach of the Miami Heat with this roster they are challenging the all time season record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom