[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

P.S.: Anyone hear Buster on Baseball tonight refer to the Mets pitching staff as "old"? The only guy over the age of 30 is Pedro, what a tool.

i heard that.... he is a tool for that... perdro is the only one that might be considered old.... other then that we have a young solid rotation....imagine if we pick up another good starter next your
eek.gif

Originally Posted by nightruans

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

P.S.: Anyone hear Buster on Baseball tonight refer to the Mets pitching staff as "old"? The only guy over the age of 30 is Pedro, what a tool.

i heard that.... he is a tool for that... perdro is the only one that might be considered old.... other then that we have a young solid rotation.... imagine if we pick up another good starter next your
eek.gif
Wagner and feliciano are over 30
ohwell.gif

STARTING ROTATION only has Pedro over 30.

Overall on the team, its only Scho, Wags, Pedro, and Feliciano.

Mets pitching staff overall is very young, its our lineup that has a lot of veterans.

Yea that comment seems a little off base...When El Duque, Glav, and Pedro were all in the rotation at the same time it might seem a little more accurate butnot so much anymore

"Pelfrey is NL Player of the Week

To the surprise of no one, Mike Pelfrey's recent Cy Young impression earned him National League Player of the Week honors today.

Pelfrey went 2-0 while not allowing a run in one start each against the Giants New York Giants and Rockies last week. Over his 15.0 shutout innings, Pelfrey scattered nine hits without a walk and struck out 10.

The 6-7 right hander is the first Met named NL Player of the Week since Carlos Beltran Carlos Beltran on Aug. 19, 2007.

Pelfrey has a 2.26 ERA in nine starts since May 31 and has won each of his past six starts. He is the first Mets New York Mets pitcher since Steve Trachsel -- who won seven straight starts from June 6-July 14, 2006 -- to win six consecutive starts.

Sunday's 7-0 shutout of the Rockies was the fourth time in the last six games that Mets pitchers held an opponent scoreless. The only other time the club has done that was in the 1969 World Series year, when they posted four consecutive shutouts the final week of the season."

I always enjoy watching his swing.

If you go to nymets.com there is a Mic'd up Session on his trip to yankee stadium for the Future Stars Game (right hand side)

What did Fernando Martinez do in the Future Stars game? I seen his first at-bat where he hit a single but I fell asleep right after that and missed the rest ofthe game.

Fernando should get the call this season! Throw him out there and see how he handles it. I think it's only a win-win for the Mets if they just give the kida chance this year. Their outfield is injury depleted, so I say throw the young kid out there and have veteran pinch-hitting in Tatis and Endy.

Sherman On The Mets
By Tim Dierkes [July 15 at 9:30am CST]

Joel Sherman of the New York Post talked to Mets GM Omar Minaya yesterday, gaining insight on the team's plans for the second half.

* If Ryan Church is able to return (the Mets are cautiously optimistic), the Mets will focus on a righty-hitting left fielder. Raul Ibanez is a lefty, whilethe prospect price on Matt Holliday and Xavier Nady seems prohibitive. I assume the same applies to Jason Bay. Sherman has mentioned Austin Kearns in the past;he could make sense.
* The price on Brian Fuentes and similar relievers is also apparently too high. Minaya might prefer not to further deplete the farm system.
* The Mets could elect to solve their problems from within - Minaya suggested Jon Niese and Fernando Martinez could be in the bigs next month.
* Minaya's recent history of midseason acquisitions - Luis Castillo and Jeff Conine in '07, Orlando Hernandez, Shawn Green, Guillermo Mota, RobertoHernandez, and Oliver Perez in '06. Over his career, Minaya has dealt often with Indians GM Mark Shapiro.

Neise is filthy, I'd be surprised if he's called up this early....but I do agree that Fernando may be called up, let him play LF.

IF (and that's a big if) Ryan Church is able to play again, then I don't see any reason for any major moves.

What do you guys think our rotation should be once the Mets resume playing tomm (Thurs)?

They play a 4 game set @ CIN, then a 3 game set vs the Phils @ SHEA.

1) Santana
2) Oliver Perez
3) Maine
4) Pedro
5) Pelfrey

That way, Pelfrey can get a start vs the Phils (He doesn't give up any home runs), and Santana/Ollie can face them for the last 2 games of the series.

Thoughts?

You really want Pedro pitching vs the Phils (Game 1) as opposed to Pelf....at SHEA nonetheless?

1) Santana
2) Oliver Perez
3) Maine
4) Pedro Pelfrey
5) Pelfrey Martinez

until he proves otherwise
wink.gif
It's not about if pitcher A deserves a spot ahead of pitcher B. The rotation should be configured so that the Mets throw their best at thePhillies. We need someone to go deep innings against the Follies because they perform well against our bullpen.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

1) Santana
2) Oliver Perez
3) Maine
4) Pedro Pelfrey
5) Pelfrey Martinez

until he proves otherwise
wink.gif
It's not about if pitcher A deserves a spot ahead of pitcher B. The rotation should be configured so that the Mets throw their best at the Phillies. We need someone to go deep innings against the Follies because they perform well against our bullpen.

either one is fine.. just pedro hasnt shown us anything this year... maybe a few solid starts his last one being the best

Wright sawed off (1 for 3 night with a walk)

This was not a bad pitch at all.

Ball Game.

No games, TMZ mode:
grin.gif

http://thebiglead.com/?p=6712
Exclusive: David Wright Throws His Real Girlfriend a Surprise Birthday Party

An extremely kind reader has sent us a few photos of the surprise birthday party Mets 3B David Wright threw last weekend for his gorgeous girlfriend, model Molly Beers. The tipster says the pair is definitely still dating (apparently, they met two years ago in Arizona when he was training for the World Baseball Classic) which means the New York Daily News was way, way off last week when it linked him to a TV reporter. Mr. Wright, we salute you. A job well done. We do, however, have a question about that watch … many more photos after the jump:

34988742ge5.jpg

32870581hj3.jpg

90034152lk2.jpg

78558783qq2.jpg

Pretty hot.

That TV reporter would've been a definite downgrade.

You think Pelf could pitch on 3 days rest after one start following the All-Star game? If so I'd like to see him as the #4 pitcher after adjusting to openup the series with the Phillies. I guess some would depend on his pitch count but he throw a lot of pitches in Sunday's game against Rockies in his 8innings.

I'm just way more comfortable with maximizing Pelf out there than Pedro, especially since we have July 31st off and he'd get an extra day in thereafter the 2nd start. I just don't know what the staff's view on something like that is.

I'd like to see:
7/17 - Johan
18 - Ollie
19 - Maine
20 - Pedro

22 - Pelf
23 - Johan
24 - Ollie
25 - Maine
26 - Pelfrey
27 - Pedro

Tonight's Lineup:

SS Jose Reyes
RF Endy Chavez
3B David Wright
CF Carlos Beltran
2B Damion Easley
1B Carlos Delgado
LF Fernando Tatis
C Brian Schneider
LH Johan Santana

Hope the extra days rest doesn't stop the momentum, and Santana pitches sharp tonight.

whats endys contract looking like we need to keep him on this team... he does so many good things and is a great utility guy.... great on defense and can bereally clutch

No Gold Glove for Endy Chavez.

and Mez honestly how many games did you think Santana would've won this year? (your prediction from Spring Training)

Endy with a rare miscue, but tonight is the perfect example of MY issue with Santana.

While he has dominant numbers, he doesn't get much run support...and when he has a lead when was the last time he even held it?

Back
Top Bottom