Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Rumours of Reem-Brock at UFC 140 in Toronto
pimp.gif

I kinda hope they don't do that IDK

Hoping they don't give Brock that sort of challenge right after his sickness.

The division has other guys who make more sense, I'd rather Dana not go that route. But yes get Overeem to the damb octagon now

Originally Posted by quiickz

Rumours of Reem-Brock at UFC 140 in Toronto
pimp.gif
doubt it will happen.

The rumor is that Brock gets to pick his return opponent.  Everyone knows that Brock hates getting punched in the face, so why would he willingly agree to face one of the best strikers in the division?  I think Zuffa needs to give Reem a couple of feeder fights first to showcase him to the casual fan, then it will be easier to sell him as a top 5 HW for a future PPV Main Event.

The rumor I heard was Brock v. Mir III
sick.gif
 or v. winner of Shaub/Nog

^
No one wants to see him face Mir again.  Enough already, not everyone has to have a trilogy of fights.  Brock hasn't had that many fights, there's new people he can fight besides Mir.

Overeem doesn't like to get hit either.  If he faces a hard hitter like Kongo he might go to sleep.

from a fans perspective i agree, no one wants to watch Mir v. Brock again, but from Brock's perspective I dont know if he wants to tangle with the Reem so soon after his recovery.

saw something on the UG about Shogun possibly re-injuring his knee? if so... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Watching the press conference on UFC.com now. 7 year deal with FOX. Live Ultimate Fighter Fights. Fans vote for who they want to fight on TUF. Fights will be spread across FOX(4 events), FX(6 events), and Fuel TV.
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Programming starts in November on FOX.

unbelievable day for MMA.

With that many live events, I'm going to have to go into hermit status and just camp out at home moving forward.

So the first FOX card is November 12

Looking at possible bouts, it's not pretty.

My ideal card:

Brock v Mir or Overeem
Dan Henderson v Lyoto Machida
Clay Guida v Ben Henderson
Phil Davis v someone

Sign Hendo NOW.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

So the first FOX card is November 12

Looking at possible bouts, it's not pretty.

My ideal card:

Brock v Mir or Overeem
Dan Henderson v Lyoto Machida
Clay Guida v Ben Henderson
Phil Davis v someone

Sign Hendo NOW.

I'm thinking Brock has to be on that card.  UFC is going to want to make sure their debut on Fox is successful, and having Brock headline the card would be the first step in that direction.

The Pacquiao-Marquez 3 fight will be on the same night, I doubt they will use Brock for a free event. Maybe they should start a LW GP that night.

Is Brock still their biggest ppv draw?  He'll definitely bring in big numbers if he fought on the first Fox show.  But they could still use him to headline a ppv without a title fight and bring in that money.

I think Brock may still be there biggest draw because of his recognition amongst the common/casual fan.

While he would draw big PPV numbers to bring in that money, I think that Zuffa will think more about the big picture instead of a short term gain. They can utilizie Brock's popularity to draw strong ratings for their first Fox event.

Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but think about the impact that the Forrest v. Bonnar fight had for UFC. If the UFC could garner that type of popularity boost and awareness explosion by putting their most recognizable HW on a nationally televised primetime network event, why would they pass that up to make a couple million extra bucks on the front end (with a Brock headlined PPV)? I believe Brock only has 1 fight left on his contract, and its not a guarantee that he will renew hos contract with them. They need to take advantage of his ability to draw and do what is best for the companies long term growth.

This is very exciting news. Hopefully we'll see the fighters benefit financially, at least from sponsorship money. The major sports apparel companies should find this type of exposure much more appealing than PPV and Spike. With GSP on UA, Anderson on Nike, and Urijah and Jon Jones on K-Swiss, I think we'll see things open up a bit in this regard over the next year or so.  

I think this first card will be structured similar to, but a tier (or two) above, the Versus cards (which were great, overall). A big emphasis on style matchups that result in exciting fights. I expect WEC guys like Cerrone, Bendo, and Leonard Garcia to be on there. They can bump things up by throwing a huge name at the top like Brock. I agree with Mojo in that, especially if Brock isn't going to comeback and immediately fight for the title, the UFC will maximize his benefit the best they can. If the date works for him, I'd book it in a heartbeat. Just imagine the commercial spots you'll see during the MLB playoffs and NFL/NCAA games.  

I can see Bellator (maybe even ProElite) filling the Spike slot, which should be nice for them.  My absolute favorite part of the Spike press release:

We are increasing our commitment to distinctive, original series that we own such as "Auction Hunters" and "Bar Rescue" which are delivering on our goal to reach a broader audience.

It's looking like the event in November will only feature 2 fights (not including prelims) and will not be part of the 4 annual events Fox will show.

Only fight announced so far is a prelim bout with Pablo Garza vs. Dustin Poirier.

Regarding the November card on FOX, I heard they are only doing two matches on TV prime time. The Prelims and the rest of the main card will be shown either on FX and/or on Facebook.

Also, do not expect Brock Lesnar to be on that November card. Dana White said he will be putting Brock on the January 2012 card.

Originally Posted by chino905

Regarding the November card on FOX, I heard they are only doing two matches on TV prime time. The Prelims and the rest of the main card will be shown either on FX and/or on Facebook.

Also, do not expect Brock Lesnar to be on that November card. Dana White said he will be putting Brock on the January 2012 card.
sick.gif
 2 fights?  I bet its going to be a 2 hour long show or something too.  I cant stand when they have 70% filler.  Did DFW give any indication of who might be booked for the Nov card?

^
I read that the show will be an hour long.

I forgot gus johnson is signed to Fox now.  Cage Potato wrote an article about it, pretty good stuff.  That guy needs to be banned from commentating mma ever again.  It would be comical to have joe buck on during a Nick Diaz fight.  He'd probably have a heart attack and be more mad than from anything Randy Moss ever did.  
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom