Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Maynard is still undefeated though 
laugh.gif
, consolation prize

Clay Guida earned 60K tonight for Submission of the night.

Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard both earned 60K for fight of the night.

And Jeremy Stevens earned 60K for Knockout of the night.

Top two matches for UFC 129 in Toronto confirmed

Georges St. Pierre vs.  Jake Shields for the welterweight title

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida, the latter as confirmed by Ariel Helwani

T. Silva playing Vera like bongos was awesome.

I had it

R1 : 10-8 Maynard
R2 : 10-9 Edgar
R3 : 10-9 Maynard
R4 : 10-9 Edgar
R5 : 10-9 Edgar

47-47.

R5 was real close though.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

pimp.gif

couture machida is not confirmed... said to not even being close to final...

and Dana White said Maynard gonna get a rematch before Pettis....

No matter who wins the re-match, Frankie Edgar earned a fan tonight. Never really liked/disliked the guy, but the amount of heart he showed in this fight was really impressive. Dude was looking like Brock Lesnar in the first round getting rocked, back peddling, doing rolls around the octagon, and holding on to Maynard's legs. But then he comes out in rounds 2-5 and shook off the worst beating he ever took in his UFC career and earned a draw. Felt like I was watching a movie or something
laugh.gif

And if Couture vs. Machida goes down, that will be an interesting match-up.

^
yeah, he showed a lot of great heart and toughness.  that's the first time he's ever been hurt in a fight and he survived getting dropped a few times.

also good refereeing, for giving him a chance to recover and continue.

Maynard makes it real easy for me to dislike him. Glad that Frankie got the draw. I think he comes back and punks Gray. At least I hope.

Silva is enormous for 205. He is going to be a handful.

Can't wait for 126. I am excited to see Jon Jones get some real comp.

Originally Posted by LLCoolMichael

Originally Posted by quiickz

pimp.gif

What are you
pimp.gif
at? Both of those fights are going to be snore fests.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif
I think Lyoto is going to knock Randy the !@!+ out or embarrass him a little 
Shield v. GSP is going to be a snooze fest. Either Jake lays on top of George for 5 rounds or George jabs Jake for 5 rounds. I am a GSP fan but I really don't want to hear all the "I will do something on one as ever seen, I will finish him, I am going for the stoppage" because at this point I know that is all BS. 

LMAO @ Silva that was hilarious...and a beat down...

4Wrestling..I agree, I hope GSP kicks the piss out of Shields...and Couture v Machida if that happens has a chance to be really good, I don't know why but I feel like those 2 could put on a good fight.

UFC 126 seems like a great card on paper...hope it delivers

I hope GSP destroys Shields. This bum has done nothing to deserve a title shot.
SMH, I hope you are joking. If not I would love to hear why you believe that Jake is a bum and doesn't deserve a title shot. 

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

SMH, I hope you are joking. If not I would love to hear why you believe that Jake is a bum and doesn't deserve a title shot. 
He had an unimpressive victory against Henderson.  You can argue whether he won or lost the decision against Kampmann, but you can't argue that he looked awful.  And by winning that match, he becomes the #1 contender?  That's a joke.  I know there aren't a ton of contenders to face off against GSP right now, but Shields does not deserve a title shot after that fight.  If Fitch beats Penn, Fitch deserves a shot far more than Shields.

He had an unimpressive victory against Henderson.  You can argue whether he won or lost the decision against Kampmann, but you can't argue that he looked awful.  And by winning that match, he becomes the #1 contender?  That's a joke.  I know there aren't a ton of contenders to face off against GSP right now, but Shields does not deserve a title shot after that fight.  If Fitch beats Penn, Fitch deserves a shot far more than Shields.
Dude Shields has not lost since 2004. During that time he has beaten dudes like Condit, Okami, Daley, Nick Thompson (who was a top10 WW at the time) and then moved up in weight class to beat Lawler, Mayhem and Henderson. He has been putting work for the last 6 years. 
The win against Henderson was far from unimpressive. Jake was out sized, got rocked with the same punch that put Bisping to sleep, and was still able to out wrestle Henderson for the entire fight. It was very, very impressive. 

And you already said the most important part, Fitch needs to beat BJ to earn another shot. Fitch already got a shot at GSP, and got worked. Since then he has been on another decision streak. If you win fights like Fitch chooses too then you take the slow road to the title shot, where as if you finish dudes then Dana puts you on the express train to the title. 

Jake was brought in to fight GSP, George already cleared out the division mostly and most people regard Jake as the last true challenge for St. Pierre at 170. 

Sometimes the work you do outside the UFC counts too, especially if is being top 10 at WW and MW 

Originally Posted by quiickz

What are you
pimp.gif
at? Both of those fights are going to be snore fests.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif
I think Lyoto is going to knock Randy the !@!+ out or embarrass him a little 
Shield v. GSP is going to be a snooze fest. Either Jake lays on top of George for 5 rounds or George jabs Jake for 5 rounds. I am a GSP fan but I really don't want to hear all the "I will do something on one as ever seen, I will finish him, I am going for the stoppage" because at this point I know that is all BS. 

Lyoto is going to fight "smart" and out kick box Randy. That or Randy will lay and pray.
sick.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif
ohwell.gif

*Just to get it out there, I'm not a Gegard Mousasi fan.
laugh.gif
No way Randy will lay and pray. Machida is insanely hard to take down and even harder to keep down. Machida by massacre

shields is far from a bum.  his standup is pure garbage but his grappling is top notch.  he's beaten a lot of top guys as well.  he's only in the welterweight division to fight gsp.  blame dana and joe silva for his title shot.  he should be at 185 instead and face a top contender like maia.

Originally Posted by shogun

shields is far from a bum.  his standup is pure garbage but his grappling is top notch.  he's beaten a lot of top guys as well.  he's only in the welterweight division to fight gsp.  blame dana and joe silva for his title shot.  he should be at 185 instead and face a top contender like maia.
22926ce45deeda2b70223fb12096d2b871b12cb6.png

Thiago Silva vs Jones/Bader winner should happen.

Vera has lost 3 straight I think. Hes def on the hot seat if not he just got himself a ticket out the UFC. His last relevant win was against Frank Mir like over 4 years ago. Sucks

Originally Posted by shogun

Ok, I may have been overstating things by calling him a bum.  However, I would venture to say he is not as good of a wrestler as Koscheck, and Koscheck couldn't do a thing against GSP.  Thus, I see GSP destroying Shields even worse than he did to Koscheck.

Originally Posted by drock2010

Thiago Silva vs Jones/Bader winner should happen.

Vera has lost 3 straight I think. Hes def on the hot seat if not he just got himself a ticket out the UFC. His last relevant win was against Frank Mir like over 4 years ago. Sucks

I dislike Vera as much as the next guy, but he deserves one more shot. Clearly, he was giving Thiago that business on the feet.
ohwell.gif
After thinking about it Vera shouldn't be cut. He got the short end of two razor close decision (I think he won against Couture) but if he did get those decision he would be on a 5 fight win streak. He lose against Bones not because Bones is a much superior fighter but because he made one critical error against him by playing an open guard. Then he over compensated by just trying to lock Silva in place and not look for any sweeps. 
And for the life of me I don't know why Brandon clinches so much. Ok he has a greco background but he has not train hard in that discipline for quite sometime. In fact while the only aspect of his game he has tried to improve the most since 2006 really is his striking (he is still at the same BJJ belt rank too). He could have done some serious damaged to Silva standing but you could see he was scared of being clipped. 

After surgery Vera needs to 1. Start lifting weights because even at 205 he is most of the time a weaker fighter 2. Train his grappling harder 3. And maybe hire a physiologist to work some #%$! out, because his corner always tells him the correct thing to do, he does it for 30 seconds to a minute then starts clinching. 

Back
Top Bottom