**Official Meek Mill Thread****Dreamchasers IV Out Now**

I've noticed the people who don't like Drake, DON'T LIKE DRAKE. It has nothing to do with the music for them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rap and hip-hop aren't necessarily the same. And not in a Kweli vs Soulja Boy kinda way.

For example you don't have to be a RAPPER to make hip-hop music. Ex. Nate Dogg, Ty Dolla, Kid Cudi, Fetty Wap, Missy Elliot, they make hip-hop, none of them are rappers as far as I'm concerned ( Cudi raps maybe 25% of the time)

Pop is short for POPULAR. Taylor Swift is a pop star, but she's from the genre of country. Nelly was a pop star from the genre of rap/hip-hop. Shaggy was a pop star from the genre of Reggae. Janet and Michael Jackson were pop stars from the genre of R&B, etc.

To deny Drake's status as one of the BEST is simply denial. While I personally prefer KRS One/Ice Cube's style to his, he is a BETTER artist than BOTH. While they are/were superior rappers.

Jadakiss is one of the GREATEST rappers/MC/Lyricist but he has had a mediocre career as an actual artist, he hasn't made GREAT music. The same could be said for a Ras Kass, Killah Priest, they are AMAZING rappers/MC/lyricist but there careers as artist are dismal at best, where people Luke Drake, Ja, Nelly or Missy Elliott had much more profound careers as rap/hip-hop artist.

Completely agree with this.

Drake is ONE of the BEST hip-hop artist EVER. You're fav artist from any generation of hip-hop would echo that if they were being HONEST. Jay-Z, NaS those guys have praised him. Your personal feelings shouldn't effect your ability to tell the truth.

That's just what it is.

Hopefully he makes a CLASSIC album to further solidify that.

Kanye is as well, I doubt its a coincidence that they both have HELP putting their lyrics together.

I personally feel Kendrick is the BEST Rapper I've ever heard all in all. His music will never have the effect that NaS and BIGs had on my life, but I feel he's better than BOTH. And his catalog is one of the STRONGEST ever already.

I'm still puzzled by this. I don't hate Drake by the way. I dig some of his music, think he's a good artist, and think he's very successful. But to say one of the best EVER (as in history, as in all time) is a totally outrageous claim to me, cause nothing you said after that sentence gives any reason why. Jay-Z and Nas have praised him....so what?? Who wouldn't praise one of the biggest artists in the game TODAY, when they more than likely have done songs with and will continue to do songs with him. I'm very sure both of them have done songs with Lil Wa_n_, and artist who lyrically at best has been better than mediocre. So that praise really means nothing. I feel like this post is one very well put together exaggeration.

Last edited:
I gotta be the only one not on the Kendrick bandwagon.

Dude can spit, but I just don't get wit his music, songs, etc.

To each its' own though.

I'm still puzzled by this. I don't hate Drake by the way. I dig some of his music, think he's a good artist, and think he's very successful. But to say one of the best EVER (as in history, as in all time) is a totally outrageous claim to me, cause nothing you said after that sentence gives any reason why. Jay-Z and Nas have praised him....so what?? Who wouldn't praise one of the biggest artists in the game TODAY, when they more than likely have done songs with and will continue to do songs with him. I'm very sure both of them have done songs with Lil Wa_n_, and artist who lyrically at best has been better than mediocre. So that praise really means nothing. I feel like this post is one very well put together exaggeration.
I don't think I have the burden of proof when it comes to Drake being one of the GREATEST hip-hop artist, I think you do in proving that he isn't.

Fans validation.
Peers validation.
Critics validation.

Rap and hip-hop aren't necessarily the same. And not in a Kweli vs Soulja Boy kinda way.

For example you don't have to be a RAPPER to make hip-hop music. Ex. Nate Dogg, Ty Dolla, Kid Cudi, Fetty Wap, Missy Elliot, they make hip-hop, none of them are rappers as far as I'm concerned ( Cudi raps maybe 25% of the time)

Pop is short for POPULAR. Taylor Swift is a pop star, but she's from the genre of country. Nelly was a pop star from the genre of rap/hip-hop. Shaggy was a pop star from the genre of Reggae. Janet and Michael Jackson were pop stars from the genre of R&B, etc.

To deny Drake's status as one of the BEST is simply denial. While I personally prefer KRS One/Ice Cube's style to his, he is a BETTER artist than BOTH. While they are/were superior rappers.

Jadakiss is one of the GREATEST rappers/MC/Lyricist but he has had a mediocre career as an actual artist, he hasn't made GREAT music. The same could be said for a Ras Kass, Killah Priest, they are AMAZING rappers/MC/lyricist but there careers as artist are dismal at best, where people Luke Drake, Ja, Nelly or Missy Elliott had much more profound careers as rap/hip-hop artist.

The best at what?

Selling records in today's era?

Drake is better than Ice Cube and KRS at exactly what? I'ts not lyricism and actually rapping. Which is what being the best rapper actually is.

I don't think I have the burden of proof when it comes to Drake being one of the GREATEST hip-hop artist, I think you do in proving that he isn't.

Fans validation.
Peers validation.
Critics validation.

So pretty much, you have no reason for feeling like he's one of the best and greatest artists ever?

Hmph.

Drake is a great artist. He's able to curate a quality output consistently.

Not sure if you can be considered one of the greatest rappers ever if you have a writing team.

there is a difference.

Last edited:
Greatest artists yes, greatest rappers no

He discussed the ghostwriting and Meek Mill situation in the Fader interview. He basically said he was disappointed Meek didn't delivered the bars :lol:

Drake and kanye are 2 dudes who eliminated themselves from that convo. Great artist but take that est off. Dudes have writing teams, I mean like u said Jada is one of the best mc if he had dudes helping him put songs together he could probably be goat right?

So pretty much, you have no reason for feeling like he's one of the best and greatest artists ever?

Hmph.
No feeling? I said that?

You're treating Drake like he's Raja Bell. Would I have to explain to you why Kobe Bryant was one of the GOATs?

As I said, YOU have the burden of proof. His career speaks for itself. If I said Mr Cheeks was one of the GREATEST then the burden of proof would be on me.

It's OK if you can't. You can deflect more.

Hmph.
No feeling? I said that?

You're treating Drake like he's Raja Bell. Would I have to explain to you why Kobe Bryant was one of the GOATs?

As I said, YOU have the burden of proof. His career speaks for itself. If I said Mr Cheeks was one of the GREATEST then the burden of proof would be on me.

It's OK if you can't. You can deflect more.

That's an abysmal comparison, as people can clearly see why Kobe is one of the greatest ever. You're talking about me deflecting, yet you can't seem to come up with an actual tangible answer or answers as to why Drake is one of the greatest or best of all time. If you said Mr. Cheeks was the greatest, that would simply be another outlandish statement from you, cause Mr. Cheeks was really just an average rapper anyway. You can type a laundry list of things round-a-bout things, yet can't seem to legitimately answer a simply question. "It is what it is" would be a cop-out answer btw.

Dude put future over KDot

I'm done with this. Dude doesn't deserve a quoted post he's getting on my NT block list.

Nobody is above KDot fool

All subjective. Right now, I believe Future makes better music than Kdot and would rather listen to Future than Kdot. Doesn't mean Kendrick isn't one of my favorite artist, hence why he's in my top 3.

Just like my top 5 rappers are:
1. Nas
2. Boosie
3. Jay-Z
4. Old lil Wayne
5. Gucci/Dmx/Pac

Y'all caping like preference is blasphemy :lol:. Go somewhere.

Didn't u say he doesn't have a classic album? If that's the case I mean u can't be goat without the rings b, Kobe has rings

Literally Drake on WATTBA: on the billboards all we do is pop **** :rofl:

Why is this even a discussion?

The best at what?

Selling records in today's era?

Drake is better than Ice Cube and KRS at exactly what? I'ts not lyricism and actually rapping. Which is what being the best rapper actually is.
When exactly did I refer to Drake as being the best "RAPPER"? I said hip-hop artist, who is an individual that makes hip-hop music. 2Pac is a better artist than them as well but he's not a superior Rapper/MC/Lyricist. And someone directly from their era, LL Cool J is a BETTER hip-hop artist, but not a superior Rapper/MC/Lyricist.

Of course Drake is better at selling records than those 2, and it's not for a lack of effort on their part. In KRS One's case, he was signed to a major almost 30 years ago, ended up becoming an executive, so he more than understood the purpose of major labels is to SELL records, he just hasn't been able to for about 60% of his career for a number of reasons, but one isn't lack of effort. (Remember the remix with Diddy, track with Angie, or that song "Hot" off 'Mass Appeal'?).

Cube just more or less fell back from rapping after'Lethal Injection' as far as solo projects are concerned. (Hes made 5 albums in the past 20+ years with 3 separate periods of 5+ years between projects)
Didn't u say he doesn't have a classic album? If that's the case I mean u can't be goat without the rings b, Kobe has rings

That's an abysmal comparison, as people can clearly see why Kobe is one of the greatest ever. You're talking about me deflecting, yet you can't seem to come up with an actual tangible answer or answers as to why Drake is one of the greatest or best of all time. If you said Mr. Cheeks was the greatest, that would simply be another outlandish statement from you, cause Mr. Cheeks was really just an average rapper anyway. You can type a laundry list of things round-a-bout things, yet can't seem to legitimately answer a simply question. "It is what it is" would be a cop-out answer btw.
Drake has been one of the Top guys since 'So Far Gone' in 09, I mean that musically, creativity-wise and popularity wise, it's now 2015 and he has remained arguably the Top artist in hip-hop. He's more or less effortlessly reinvented himself which is essential to survival in hip-hop (See LL, Snoop, Jay-Z), and remained the most talked about. His influence is clear as day, you can see the Drake-effect everywhere in urban music.

Simply put rappers don't last long, as we discussed Ja Rule earlier, he debuted in 99 and by 03 he was out the door. Nelly debuted in 2000, he was pretty much running on creative fumes by 04 when Sweat/Suite came out. 50 Cent had about 3 and a half years. DMX had ONE calender foreal. BIG/Pac? 5-6 years between the 2 of them, Drake has that already for better or for worse. FACTS is FACTS.

Even his mentor Lil Wayne, his dominance is OVER and has been for some time now, but his popularity is waning as well. Creatively it's been mostly down hill since Carter III. Popularity wise, Carter IV.

Wack rappers don't have long careers, while there are exceptions to every rule, as it stands today Pitbull and Flo Rida have been the longest tenured wack rappers I can remember. Mike Jones had one album and people stopped caring. Vanilla Ice? One album. Skee-Lo? One album. Sir Mix Alot? Maybe 2. Chingy? One album. Coolio maybe 2. Even P, 'Mr Ice Cream Man' was a hit on the streets, 'Ghetto D' was HUGE on the charts, 'MP The Last Don' was HUGE, after that his popularity was gone, he's released like 8 albums since and the average fan couldn't name one.

But back to Drake.
'So Far Gone' - Critically acclaimed. Grammy Nominated single, from a mixtape mind you. Repackaged a year later and still was able to earn a plaque.

'Thank Me Later' - Maybe didn't live up to the hype, but was a GOOD album none the less. More hits to his already growing list.

'Take Care' - Exceptional piece of work. Grammy Award winning. Musically better than his debut. Creatively pushed the envelope. More HITS.

'Nothing Was The Same' - SOLID body of work. Once again creatively pushed the envelope. Grammy. More HITS.

That's not even mentioning the 20-30 hit songs he appeared on with others. He broke the record for #1s on rap singles like 4 or 5 years ago. His level of demand has actually grown for 6 years consistently. No one has done that before. He's been the MOST anticipated hip-hop artist since 2009. He's the reason labels repackaging mixtapes for profit. He took what G Unit/Dip Set revolutionized and monetized it like no other. Not even his mentor could quite figure that out. And he's done it all while remaining creative, he stamps ****** and they begin to pop. He's been the industry go to guy for sometime now.

He's solidified his spot as one of the BEST artist this genre has seen, I say that as someone who remembers Pac/BIG/NaS/Jay-Z being NEW artists, I'm not using some MTV altered revisionist history, I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who was there. I know he's popular to hate on but there comes a time in a man's life when you have to put your bottle of Haterade in the recycling bin, and give respect where respect is due.

Last edited:
roll.gif
 @ the argument being over how Drake is labeled in a Meek thread!

When exactly did I refer to Drake as being the best "RAPPER"? I said hip-hop artist, who is an individual that makes hip-hop music. 2Pac is a better artist than them as well but he's not a superior Rapper/MC/Lyricist. And someone directly from their era, LL Cool J is a BETTER hip-hop artist, but not a superior Rapper/MC/Lyricist.

Of course Drake is better at selling records than those 2, and it's not for a lack of effort on their part. In KRS One's case, he was signed to a major almost 30 years ago, ended up becoming an executive, so he more than understood the purpose of major labels is to SELL records, he just hasn't been able to for about 60% of his career for a number of reasons, but one isn't lack of effort. (Remember the remix with Diddy, track with Angie, or that song "Hot" off 'Mass Appeal'?).

Cube just more or less fell back from rapping after'Lethal Injection' as far as solo projects are concerned. (Hes made 5 albums in the past 20+ years with 3 separate periods of 5+ years between projects)
Drake has been one of the Top guys since 'So Far Gone' in 09, I mean that musically, creativity-wise and popularity wise, it's now 2015 and he has remained arguably the Top artist in hip-hop. He's more or less effortlessly reinvented himself which is essential to survival in hip-hop (See LL, Snoop, Jay-Z), and remained the most talked about. His influence is clear as day, you can see the Drake-effect everywhere in urban music.

Simply put rappers don't last long, as we discussed Ja Rule earlier, he debuted in 99 and by 03 he was out the door. Nelly debuted in 2000, he was pretty much running on creative fumes by 04 when Sweat/Suite came out. 50 Cent had about 3 and a half years. DMX had ONE calender foreal. BIG/Pac? 5-6 years between the 2 of them, Drake has that already for better or for worse. FACTS is FACTS.

Even his mentor Lil Wayne, his dominance is OVER and has been for some time now, but his popularity is waning as well. Creatively it's been mostly down hill since Carter III. Popularity wise, Carter IV.

Wack rappers don't have long careers, while there are exceptions to every rule, as it stands today Pitbull and Flo Rida have been the longest tenured wack rappers I can remember. Mike Jones had one album and people stopped caring. Vanilla Ice? One album. Skee-Lo? One album. Sir Mix Alot? Maybe 2. Chingy? One album. Coolio maybe 2. Even P, 'Mr Ice Cream Man' was a hit on the streets, 'Ghetto D' was HUGE on the charts, 'MP The Last Don' was HUGE, after that his popularity was gone, he's released like 8 albums since and the average fan couldn't name one.

But back to Drake.
'So Far Gone' - Critically acclaimed. Grammy Nominated single, from a mixtape mind you. Repackaged a year later and still was able to earn a plaque.

'Thank Me Later' - Maybe didn't live up to the hype, but was a GOOD album none the less. More hits to his already growing list.

'Take Care' - Exceptional piece of work. Grammy Award winning. Musically better than his debut. Creatively pushed the envelope. More HITS.

'Nothing Was The Same' - SOLID body of work. Once again creatively pushed the envelope. Grammy. More HITS.

That's not even mentioning the 20-30 hit songs he appeared on with others. He broke the record for #1s on rap singles like 4 or 5 years ago. His level of demand has actually grown for 6 years consistently. No one has done that before. He's been the MOST anticipated hip-hop artist since 2009. He's the reason labels repackaging mixtapes for profit. He took what G Unit/Dip Set revolutionized and monetized it like no other. Not even his mentor could quite figure that out. And he's done it all while remaining creative, he stamps ****** and they begin to pop. He's been the industry go to guy for sometime now.

He's solidified his spot as one of the BEST artist this genre has seen, I say that as someone who remembers Pac/BIG/NaS/Jay-Z being NEW artists, I'm not using some MTV altered revisionist history, I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who was there. I know he's popular to hate on but there comes a time in a man's life when you have to put your bottle of Haterade in the recycling bin, and give respect where respect is due.

View media item 1725565

But back to Drake.

After reading this, the cliffs would be he's one of the greatest of all time due to billboard charting ability. For someone who was there like KRS-One, and remembers when Pac/Big/Nas/Jay-Z were new artists, I would've expected you to at least mention actual writing skill/ability/bars/etc somewhere in there. Will commend you for the attempt at an explanation though, which probably should've been your original post right off the bat.

:rofl:  @ the argument being over how Drake is labeled in a Meek thread!

There's no more Meek Mill, this is The Music Thread About Nothing.

Last edited:
If you listen to his music as you've claimed I shouldn't have to explain to you that, I mean your ears enjoy it don't they? What could I say to make you appreciate someone's music more? What are you listening for if it's not good? It's been 6 years. Why would I post bars to songs you've already heard and enjoy? :lol: And who's to say HE scribed them.

The issue is he's not given credit by his detractors for no other reason than some of you don't like him. Unfortunately for those that don't like him, it has zero effect on his art, career or life.

The common theme with Drake's haters is an overall bad taste in music and or a lack of understanding of hip-hop culture as a whole.

Yo Drakes talent is NOT undeniable. Dude is overrated. Ive heard enough from him to know i dont mess with his music. And are ******* kidding me with that last paragraph?! Drake detractors dont hip hop culture & have bad taste in music?! *****. In my experience its actually been the complete OPPOSITE. Drake fans are delusional

I'm just sitting back and mirin Trill Nimley's work in this thread

He got everyone's jimmies is shambles right now :lol:

Bravo brah, bravo :smokin :rofl:

-I'm a huge Drake fan, but I wouldn't call him one of the top 5 "rappers" of all time. That is way OD to me

Last edited:
If you listen to his music as you've claimed I shouldn't have to explain to you that, I mean your ears enjoy it don't they? What could I say to make you appreciate someone's music more? What are you listening for if it's not good? It's been 6 years. Why would I post bars to songs you've already heard and enjoy? :lol: And who's to say HE scribed them.

The issue is he's not given credit by his detractors for no other reason than some of you don't like him. Unfortunately for those that don't like him, it has zero effect on his art, career or life.

The common theme with Drake's haters is an overall bad taste in music and or a lack of understanding of hip-hop culture as a whole.

1) This would be true is you were talking to a Drake hater
2) Didn't ask you to post bars, you just never once mentioned anything relating to what's actually on the record as to why he should be considered a GOAT. You basically said he should be considered an all-time dude due to sales and popularity.

Back
Top Bottom