[::OFFICIAL LAKERS 2010-11' SEASON THREAD Vol. It Was Fun While It Lasted::]

barely worked. esta loca?
laugh.gif
 but it worked. how do know that if a faster tempo will work for us? if its not broke, dont fix it.
I would not take chances relying on luck to squeeze by 2 years in a row

i wouldnt call it luck if we won it twice. phil knows what drives this team.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

barely worked. esta loca?
laugh.gif
 but it worked. how do know that if a faster tempo will work for us? if its not broke, dont fix it.
I would not take chances relying on luck to squeeze by 2 years in a row

i wouldnt call it luck if we won it twice. phil knows what drives this team.
I'm not talking about 2008-2009. I mean that last year we had some lucky breaks and that may not happen again this year.

is a slower tempo working?

btw, I am not a female

what makes you think a faster tempo team will work for this particular team? thats not our style and ultimately that isnt phil's style either. again, why would you wanna fix something that not broken? every championship team has their lucky breaks. kobes game winners against phx and indy in 2000, our comeback in game 7 against the blazers. horry's numerous clutch baskets in 2001 and 2002. listen the fact of the matter is, championship teams make their our own luck.

again, a slow tempo has proved to work. it gave us 5 championships in the last decade. dont be manipulated from the ups and downs of a regular season.

Bynum is an idiot. He got burned by Dwight now he wants more touches. Even Phil questions this dude, he really needs to +%#% and play a whole season for once.

what makes you think a faster tempo team will work for this particular team? thats not our style and ultimately that isnt phil's style either. again, why would you wanna fix something that not broken? every championship team has their lucky breaks. kobes game winners against phx and indy in 2000, our comeback in game 7 against the blazers. horry's numerous clutch baskets in 2001 and 2002. listen the fact of the matter is, championship teams make their our own luck.

again, a slow tempo has proved to work. it gave us 5 championships in the last decade. dont be manipulated from the ups and downs of a regular season.
I am not talking a suns style of tempo. I mean you can post up but you have to mix it up to get some easy buckets from time to time. At least when the bench is in because Kobe and Gasol are the only real post up threats.

For example when Bynum, Larmar, luke or artest, shannon, and blake are in the game the post up game just does not work. They should run the triangle if there is no fast break opportunity but they should not rely on force feeding bynum
because he is just not that good and the perimeter players are not good outside shooters.

listen, we all have our frustrations as fans but let's not question phil's philosophy

--True. Another one of Phil's philosophies is that all great teams win 50 before they lose 20.
--I dont see this Laker team pulling this off. They would have to win 12 of their next 13. Not happening.

--This team parallels the '02 Lakers, the last of the threepeat when they struggled throughout the season, the Kings had the best record and the Lakers grinded it out in the postseason.

^ I have a few responses to that.

#1- When did Phil say that? When did he say that all great teams win 50 before losing 20? "Oh, if you look at all the championships teams he's coached, they always..."

No. When did he say that all great teams win 50 before they lose 20? If we're going to call that one of his philosophies, I want to know that he said it, not that we're assuming that he thinks it.

#2- Why do we have to be great this season? I just want a title. I don't care if every series in the playoffs goes to 7 games, and every single game is won by 1 point; if we win the championship, that's all that matters. There's no 'Dominated Throughout the Playoffs' trophy that's shinier than a 'Barely Squeaked Through Every Series' trophy.

#3- If we're just 'enh', but we win a title, in very underwhelming fashion, that's still a 3-peat on 4 consecutive Finals. THAT'S great. No, the whole team hasn't been the same, but a majority has been. Lamar, Kobe, Fish, Pau, Shannon; they've been great together.

#4- I totally agree that this team mirrors the '02 Lakers. Absolutely. The Kings were a better team, and I thought the Celtics were a threat to whoever came out of the Western Conference as well. Same thing this year; there are a number of teams that look promising, and you could build a good argument to answer the question 'Why is this team going to win it all this year?' Spurs, Celtics, Mavs, Heat

anyone know at what time they are going to unveil the Jerry West statue tomorrow? i'm trying to see if i can make it over there

I mentioned the 02 Lakers about 100 pages ago.......Back when everyone was holding onto that wooden door on some 'I'll never let go Jack" tip. 
laugh.gif

Ya'll shoulda listened to me months ago, woulda saved you all this anxiety you're goin thru. 
wink.gif

Originally Posted by mrdieselfuel09

The networks will be available to all satellite, cable and telco distributors in the Lakers’ territory, which includes all of Southern California, Nevada and Hawaii.
  damn why cant they expand it over here in northern cali! stupid warriors
laugh.gif

jim hill is that dude. you guys are trippin'
my thoughts exactly or show the games like how the do the chicago bulls game over here sometimes.

mad.gif
 Why wont they do that. The Lakers are Californias team huge fanbase out here in the bay.

--Ska, that 50/20 thing I just remember hearing somewhere and I know it has something to do with Phil.
--We dont need homecourt against anyone in the west. But against Miami or Boston...thats a different story.

I think Boston is the only team we 'need' homecourt against.

We can win 1 or 2 in Miami if we faced them in the Finals.

Honestly, I think we'd sweep Miami if we met them in the Finals, truth be told. Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki know why I feel that way.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--Ska, that 50/20 thing I just remember hearing somewhere and I know it has something to do with Phil.
--We dont need homecourt against anyone in the west. But against Miami or Boston...thats a different story.
Phil does say this, he has said it before in the pre-game interviews with Bill McDonald on Fox Sports West.  
30/10 

50/20  

I think Boston is the only team we 'need' homecourt against.

I feel the same way. If game 7 last year was in Boston, it's most likely a different outcome.

LOS ANGELES -- Before the season began, Lakers owner Jerry Buss looked over his team's roster and told reporters that this year's Lakers team might be the best they've ever had. It was quite a statement coming from an owner who has won 10 championships since buying the Lakers in 1979. Halfway through the season, many are now wondering if the Lakers will even make it back to the NBA Finals.

Not Buss. He still thinks the Lakers have all the pieces in place to win their third straight title even if they don't always play like champions. After going to three straight Finals, Buss said it is unrealistic to think the Lakers wouldn't struggle at times during the regular season.

"I think we've had such a long run," Buss said on 710 ESPN's "Lunch with a Legend" Wednesday. "We've been to the Finals three consecutive years and all those extra games and playing until the middle of June. You know, if you quit in April, it's not hard to imagine with all that time off you are ready to go in October but when we play until the middle of June, October comes around too quick. I think the more times you go to the Finals the more difficult it [becomes] to be prepared for the Finals.

"I think right about now everybody senses that we have to get busy. This is going to be our time. The pride begins to set in, not the fatigue. The fatigue begins to float away and now they say, 'Wait a minute. This is our championship; you're going to have to take it away from us before you can call yourselves champions.'"

Buss made a surprise appearance at Lakers practice earlier this month in the midst of the team's losing three of four games. His presence wasn't meant to strike fear in the players, he said, but to show them he's still supporting them despite what they may see or read in the media.

"The sense I try to give them is I'm behind them 100 percent, win, lose or draw," Buss said. "It's not them and me yelling at them. It's us. We're all together. Whatever happens to you is going to happen to me and whatever happens to me is going to happen to you. So my presence there is intended to calm them down, get it reorganized and try and win."

Buss made it a point to go to every Lakers player after practice and chat with them for a bit and maybe ease their tension with some small talk.

"I walk over to Ron Artest and say, 'We haven't had lunch for three weeks, you should call me,'" he said. "I walk over to [Devin] Ebanks and say, 'There's a very beautiful model called Ebanks [Selita Ebanks], is she related to you?' I went over to Matt Barnes and asked, 'Are you going to be back in time to do us some good?'"

When Buss was asked what he said to Kobe Bryant, he smiled. He's known Bryant since he was a 17-year-old kid signing with the Lakers out of high school and has had his share of high and low points with his superstar guard. At this point in their relationship, Buss and Bryant are past the point of small talk. The turning point in their relationship took place during the summer of 2007 when Bryant said he wanted to be traded because the Lakers weren't doing enough to build a championship team around him.

"He was at my house and a couple other people were there and I remember he was saying, 'Don't blame me, all I'm out here for is to win,'" Buss recalled. "And I looked at him and our eyes met and I said, 'You're not the only one, Kobe. You know I want to win, maybe even more than you do.' From that time on Kobe and I have been, I think, on the same wavelength. I think everybody knows on that team that I want to win just like the 'Black Mamba.'"

Buss' talks with Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who said he plans on retiring after this season, are different from his talks with any other member of the organization for obvious reasons.

"Phil and I have a different kind of relationship," Buss said. "Well, he dates my daughter, Jeanie. I tell him he has to call me Dad once in a while. He likes to read. Phil is a very well-read person. You could talk to him about any topic at any time and he has something to say about it. I read a lot; it's one of my real passions so we compare books. Sometimes when I'm talking to Phil I'll say, 'What's the last thing you read?'"

Buss still expects the Lakers' up-and-down season to end with a big up come June. Then again, that's always his feeling, even during seasons that haven't ended with a title.

"When things go bad and newspapers start in, television starts in, radio starts in, and begin to say this is wrong with the Lakers, that's wrong with the Lakers, the Lakers are too old, they're too this, they're too that, etc., they overdo it," Buss said. "Things are not really that bad. If things were really that bad I would be there [at practice] every day. I try to give them a sense that things are not so bad. You're OK. We're OK."

Jerry's wavelength wtih CP  >>>>  Jerry's wavelength with Kobe. 
pimp.gif

That said, I could do without Jerry sayin we'll be back in the finals like it's nothing.  Let's go ahead and chill that Jerry, that's called talkin for no damn reason. 

Ska, I've been thinkin about it all day.........
frown.gif
..........I don't get it, why do Duncan and Dirk know why we would sweep Miami in the finals? 
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Serious, I can't get that one put together in my brain.  I got nothin. 
embarassed.gif

In talking about sweeping the current Heat team, Dirk would like to point out that he went up 2-0 on Wade before the whistlefest started. This Laker team is smart enough to seal the deal in that situation.

Duncan would like to remind us that LeBron has no idea what it is like to win even a single Finals game, thanks to his squad.

So on the topic of sweeping Wade/Bron, Duncan and Dirk have some input. More Duncan than Dirk, obviously, but yeah, I tend to think if it were Lakers/Heat, they win 1 game, max.

Lotta time left between now and then, though.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

In talking about sweeping the current Heat team, Dirk would like to point out that he went up 2-0 on Wade before the whistlefest started. This Laker team is smart enough to seal the deal in that situation.

Duncan would like to remind us that LeBron has no idea what it is like to win even a single Finals game, thanks to his squad.

So on the topic of sweeping Wade/Bron, Duncan and Dirk have some input. More Duncan than Dirk, obviously, but yeah, I tend to think if it were Lakers/Heat, they win 1 game, max.

Lotta time left between now and then, though.
you assume that the refs would be neutral

I don't think the lakers can beat the heat with the refs on their side which is something that is guaranteed

SMH Lakers already down by 8 after the 1st against the leagues worst team.

About to take another L tonight.

Originally Posted by MR J 858

SMH Lakers already down by 8 after the 1st against the leagues worst team.

About to take another L tonight.

well expected bro. the cavs are on a high right now after finally winning one. i gotta give it to their fans though for sticking with this team.

I'm a lakers fan, but for some reason I'd like the Cavs to win this one. Just to freak everybody, including the lakers, out.

Back
Top Bottom