Official Kevin Ferguson vs James Thompson Post (9pm CBS)

that was gruesome

mma and cbs saw nearly saw this "sport" come to an end on its first night on network tv.

so what is the stoppage rule on getting straight punched in the face? because even before those forearms to kimbo on the ground Kimbo rocked with a combo thathad thompson stumbling around

I think it's like multiple punches to the face with out the opponent blocking or responding, basically a dazed opponent.

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

so what is the stoppage rule on getting straight punched in the face? because even before those forearms to kimbo on the ground Kimbo rocked with a combo that had thompson stumbling around

Alot. The person usually has to go down or get down on a knee for it to be called. The only fight that I can remember right now where it ended with thefighter being up is Anthony Johnson vs. Tom Speer. Tommy ate at least 10-12 HARD shots straight and he fell into the fence. Had the fence not been there Tomwould be on the floor. He was basically outcold with his eyes still open and still on his feet. James was rocked but still able to continue. Give him another2-4 shots and that would be enough to warrant a stoppage.

Originally Posted by kicks and kix

so what is the stoppage rule on getting straight punched in the face? because even before those forearms to kimbo on the ground Kimbo rocked with a combo that had thompson stumbling around

Alot. The person usually has to go down or get down on a knee for it to be called. The only fight that I can remember right now where it ended with the fighter being up is Anthony Johnson vs. Tom Speer. Tommy ate at least 10-12 HARD shots straight and he fell into the fence. Had the fence not been there Tom would be on the floor. He was basically outcold with his eyes still open and still on his feet. James was rocked but still able to continue. Give him another 2-4 shots and that would be enough to warrant a stoppage.

Idk if his ear could have taken another 4 shots. That thing was bouncing around all bloody, and I think that's why the fight was called. The ref wasprotecting JT's
sick.gif
ear.

During the fight I saw Kimbo give the ref a thumbs up WHILE he was getting hit
in the head on the ground. Does that not matter?

It was pretty intense though, not the hitting.... just wondering if Kimbo would lose.
But I couldn't tell if he was resting or if those blows were damaging at all... I guess
not.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Alot. The person usually has to go down or get down on a knee for it to be called. The only fight that I can remember right now where it ended with the fighter being up is Anthony Johnson vs. Tom Speer. Tommy ate at least 10-12 HARD shots straight and he fell into the fence. Had the fence not been there Tom would be on the floor. He was basically outcold with his eyes still open and still on his feet. James was rocked but still able to continue. Give him another 2-4 shots and that would be enough to warrant a stoppage.

Idk if his ear could have taken another 4 shots. That thing was bouncing around all bloody, and I think that's why the fight was called. The ref was protecting JT's
sick.gif
ear.

Johnny I thought they were too cautious during the whole fight card due to it being on national tv. I thought Young wasn't that bad enough that shecouldn't continue. I've seen worse cuts. They didn't give Smith his whole 5 mins. to recover from the eye poke. I think they just didn't wantthings to get to bloody this being MMA's first return to national tv. What shocked me though was the reffing in the Kimbo fight. I like Dan Miragliota,thought he's been one of the better refs lately. His reffing was awful in this one though. He stood them up in the first right after JT moved into sidemount. How that does not count as improving your position. He didn't warn Kimbo at all when he was getting pinned and hit in the 2nd. Usually you'd getwarned 10 seconds of not defending, let alone a whole minute. Def. lost respect for the guy...

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Idk if his ear could have taken another 4 shots. That thing was bouncing around all bloody, and I think that's why the fight was called. The ref was protecting JT's
sick.gif
ear.

Johnny I thought they were too cautious during the whole fight card due to it being on national tv. I thought Young wasn't that bad enough that she couldn't continue. I've seen worse cuts. They didn't give Smith his whole 5 mins. to recover from the eye poke. I think they just didn't want things to get to bloody this being MMA's first return to national tv. What shocked me though was the reffing in the Kimbo fight. I like Dan Miragliota, thought he's been one of the better refs lately. His reffing was awful in this one though. He stood them up in the first right after JT moved into side mount. How that does not count as improving your position. He didn't warn Kimbo at all when he was getting pinned and hit in the 2nd. Usually you'd get warned 10 seconds of not defending, let alone a whole minute. Def. lost respect for the guy...
You know the REF's were going to protect Kimbo and Thompson knew this as well.

As soon as they knew Thompson's ear was like that (before the fight) they were probably planning to stop it as soon as his ear got popped. No disrespect toKimbo but Elite XC is going to protect their investment. I thought Kimbo would be WORSE or maybe I just didnt have much expectations of him but at the end hejust seemed to be to tired to make any kind of explosive movements to get out of being up against the cage.

kimbo is a joke, i hope the meat riders realized that he is nothing in the mma world. give him any worthy fighter that has a chin and a ground game and itsover for kimbo. the guy could have finished the fight so easily but was gassed and didn't know what he was doing. he was in full guard, half guard and didnothing. he couldn't even close out the fight punching kimbo in the face for a minute straight because he was dead tired and had no power. unless kimbolearns ground game he will be getting ripped by upper tier guys whom he hopes to face one day... like those in the ufc...

I mentioned it in the MMA thread, but I really urge all of you that tuned into the show last night to watch MMA for the first time to check out the WEC eventtonight on Versus.

I wanted to know, what in gods name was that on his ear? i mean i saw it before the fight, and then it just started swelling up, and then it just popped.Disgusting. Anyway, its Kimbo's only 3rd fight ever. I had been watching him here in Miami since like his first backyard brawl and he can take punches.Yeah he has no ground game, but with time he should be able to better develop it. Everybody knew it was his weakness. But when it came to the straightfighting, he was getting at JT good. At least he knows he has A LOT to learn and is willing to work at it. He's not getting cocky or anything just after 3fights and its not like those were top notch fights.

Kimbo's future in the sport doesn't really depend on developing a ground game.

He needs more sound take-down defense (and cardio a little better than a 50 year old woman).

Chuck Liddell is essentially a kickboxer with ridiculously epic take-down defense.

Kimbo got exposed, and looks like they will need another poster boy soon. No take down defense, ground game or cardio. Not sure how long Elite XC can matchKimbo up with sluggers with no ground game. Did anyone else find it funny when they showed Kimbo's fight style as "brawler" hahahaa.

Originally Posted by BiggerBizness

Kimbo got exposed, and looks like they will need another poster boy soon. No take down defense, ground game or cardio. Not sure how long Elite XC can match Kimbo up with sluggers with no ground game. Did anyone else find it funny when they showed Kimbo's fight style as "brawler" hahahaa.

nagh, Brawler sounds right. The most funny style I've seen when was Mayhem fought Tim Kennedy. Mayhem's styles was slapboxer. Made me do a doubletake.
laugh.gif

I dont know, the more and more i saw the highlights on sportscenter you can convince me those forearms to Kimbo were actually hurting him. I mean imobviously not a fighter but Kimbo looked unaffected to me. I mean in the last Ortiz vs Shamrock match i think Ortiz threw less elbows/forearms in that finalsequence but Shamrock was out though because Tito had power behind them

Kimbo @ 2:25

"That sound like a challenge to me.."

"You a hater, Roger.. you a hater"

roll.gif
Kimbo gonna do that boy somn dirty

Back
Top Bottom