**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

my mans how you leave God Son off?

[emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]

I knew I was leaving something off, my point exactly, God's Son wasn't even that memorable to me. Hell, I can't even remember what was on it, the Dance song about his mom.... and damn I'm really blanking on the rest. I know it had a few gems though.

I got a theory:

Although DAMN forward has a message, it's for casual fans. DAMN backwards is for us.

His first single was Humble, a very commercially sounding song that is similar to the popular radio sound that draws the casual listeners in. If/When they listen to the album it starts with another banger in DNA, followed by the catchy YAH and then another banger in ELEMENT. It slows for a sec with FEEL but keeps those fans engaged with LOYALTY (may end up a hit). PRIDE is a smooth record and it's right before HUMBLE. LUST, LOVE, and XXX are all songs that I can see the causal fans enjoying enough to lock them into the finale which is deep with FEAR, GOD, and DUCKWORTH.

Moving on to us. When played backwards it almost sounds like the conceptual projects we've heard in the past in GKMC and TPAB at the beginning. However, the ending is like a treat for us hearing K. DOT just spaz, drop bangers, and have fun. Just some thoughts I had recently while hearing HUMBLE on the radio in the morning.

Putting BIG in your top 5 is the most overrated thing ever . With ONLY 2 albums .. I put kendrick over him . Come at me
Man I'm the first to say Biggie gets more credit than he deserves at times, but putting him top 5 is not overrated. He did so much in so little time. His wordplay is so underrated and he made flat out hits. I love Kendrick and all, but what true hits has he had. 30 years from now I'm still gonna go to parties and hear Biggie tracks. I'm not hearing Swimming Pools 5 years from now at parties. Big had it all.

Whats your review on the album Dipset? :nerd:

"Damn" isn't better than Good kid or Butterfly but it's still a masterpiece. Kung Fu went for a three peat with his debut, sophomore and now this LP.

Hahahahahahaha, I love Kendrick, huge fan but to say he's top 5 just crazy and stupid. Think about all the legends in no order.

Cube
BIG
Pac
Nas
Jay
Rakim
Face
Eminem
LL
Redman
Lupe
Kool G
Common
Kane

There's mad people you gotta consider, Kendrick ain't in that top 5. Probably not even in my top 10 and I LOVE the three album streak he's on but y'all gotta relax your limbs

GKMC was 2012, been five years. Wait until 202 at least. Ten years before his major debut.

Kendrick is better than Face, Kool G, Redman and maybe LL. The rest i don't think he's surpassed yet.

After listening to GKMC and It Was Written yesterday and today, I stand by what I said. It's close, but GKMC is the better project.

Incredible interview. Kendrick just gets it man. He realizes this isn't for play play. The gravitas of what he’s doing is reflected in the seriousness and dedication into what he crafts. I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. We're lucky to have this dude especially in the time we're living in.

Incredible interview. Kendrick just gets it man. He realizes this isn't for play play. The gravitas of what he’s doing is reflected in the seriousness and dedication into what he crafts. I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. We're lucky to have this dude especially in the time we're living in.

I thiugh j Cole was gon be the one :smh:

I knew I was leaving something off, my point exactly, God's Son wasn't even that memorable to me. Hell, I can't even remember what was on it, the Dance song about his mom.... and damn I'm really blanking on the rest. I know it had a few gems though.

?

What are your thoughts on the album Phil?

I honestly don't remember it that well. I'd have to re-visit.

But that single alone is unforgettable to me.

Dude drops an album barely a week ago and you guys are getting mad he won't give you another :lol:

I'm not mad at all. I'm bumping this all summer long. Apparently Loyalty is getting mad spins outchea on the radio.

?

What are your thoughts on the album Phil?

I honestly don't remember it that well. I'd have to re-visit.

But that single alone is unforgettable to me.

Was talking about the Kendrick :lol:

Never understood the whole "bodies of work" argument.

Rappers should be judged on their ability. Doesn't matter if a person has a couple of albums. What was the artist able to do creatively with those couple of albums?

From a technical standpoint, there just aren't too many rappers you can name that were able to do what Big could do. Same w/ 3K. 

They should be lauded for HOW THEY RAP. Not how many songs they made. 

Basquiat made upwards of around 130 paintings before he died. Should we not mention him amongst Picasso because he made over 50,000? 

Last edited:
Never understood the whole "bodies of work" argument.

Rappers should be judged on their ability. Doesn't matter if a person has a couple of albums. What was the artist able to do creatively with those couple of albums?

From a technical standpoint, there just aren't too many rappers you can name that were able to do what Big could do. Same w/ 3K. 

They should be lauded for HOW THEY RAP. Not how many songs they made. 

Basquiat made upwards of around 130 paintings before he died. Should we not mention him amongst Picasso because he made over 50,000? 

This makes sense but when we talk about top 5-10 you have to nitpick and body of work is a factor.

You can be an amazing rapper but not have the ability to craft an amazing album

That should and will stain your status

Back
Top Bottom