**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

I really really like the album but at the same time, I'd completely understand if someone wasn't feeling the vibe. Some people just like harder stuff. Harder drums, more aggressive lyrics. Punchlines, going in, etc. Stuff that's less dense and less deep. Don't think it's an issue at all. Some tracks should definitely be undeniable for anyone - but as a whole? I'd totally get why even a Kendrick fan wouldn't like this much. Very different from the dark, aggression or the smoothness of GKMC.

I wasn't a Kendrick fan before this album, in fact I hated GKMC and threw it in the recycle bin.
This album is a slight improvement but I just can't get over his voice. Other than that the album is alright.
It's a lot less boring than GKMC.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight.

So there's only 2 ends of the spectrum here correct? If you don't like this...it means you like the exact opposite type of music.

It can't be that you just simply don't like it...it HAS to be because you like Drake instead.

Am I getting that correctly?
I really really like the album but at the same time, I'd completely understand if someone wasn't feeling the vibe. Some people just like harder stuff. Harder drums, more aggressive lyrics. Punchlines, going in, etc. Stuff that's less dense and less deep. Don't think it's an issue at all. Some tracks should definitely be undeniable for anyone - but as a whole? I'd totally get why even a Kendrick fan wouldn't like this much. Very different from the dark, aggression or the smoothness of GKMC.
I don't think content and sound correlate with one another.

I keep seeing people say this and I don't understand it. Is it not possible to feel one way about music sonically...and a feel another about the content? They don't go hand in hand.

Last edited:
If these walls could talk

2irralt.jpg

I don't think content and sound correlate with one another.

I keep seeing people say this and I don't understand it. Is it not possible to feel one way about music sonically...and a feel another about the content? They don't go hand in hand.

I don't really get what you're saying. I'm not saying they go hand in hand. I'm not saying there's only 2 groups of people. Just that some people want harder hitting stuff. Some people want street/punchline stuff. Some people want stuff that knocks. Some people want less deep stuff. I'm not lumping all those people in to one group. But I'd understand if any of those people weren't feeling the vibes of the album. It doesn't make them lesser. I love that hard hitting stuff.

It's funny how everyone who doesn't like the album "doesn't want to think"

Sonically the album just does not resonate at all, the production is boring to me, the hooks aren't good, but hey as long as kendricks lyrics are good it's good music right?

Sonically Lupes album was much more exciting.... But I guess I just don't want to use my mind since this Kendrick album ain't for me. Lol.

2irralt.jpg

Son just listened to this song. Blew my mind. :wow:

first it was like lmao he is talking about them sugar walls and has a bunch of puns like "I can feel your reign when it cries gold lives inside of you". Then if these walls could talk is basically the woman telling kendrick how happy she is when she is with him. Then the woman reveals how she is covering up herself with this fling relationship for her deeper problems. Then third verse it gets darker and kendrick addresses her baby daddy in prison, berating him saying to listen to "Sing About Me" from his first album how his friend got killed but karma came back and killer got indicted the same night. Then told him when this song replays listen to the first verse of how much he is enjoying his girl. If walls could talk but she is never going to tell this dude while he is in prison.

Then in another way the Walls are like Compton and how he had to live and flourish inside them because he had no choice ("if these walls could talk they would tell me to swim good" had a double meaning between the baby mama and Compton) and the "I resonate in these walls. I don't know how long I can wait in these walls. I've been on the streets looking at you from the outside in" and how badly he wanted to get out of those walls. Which is like the breaking of the cocoon he was in about his poem. )

Last edited:
Radio has ears tainted with BS, We have been flooded with Future, Nicki, Migos etc so this album doesn't make the impact to the masses as it should. I am not saying you have to like it but its a gem to the game. Like he is telling his story while paying homage to jazz and funk. This type of Jazz infusion in a few of the beats are ATCQ style. I car tested it, it really isn't the best car friendly listen but that's not what he was going for. I can appreciate that, he isn't forced to make a radio single type music, he is making a complete project, That is why I messed with Logic project heavy. These aren't albums you jump in and out of, you sit down and take it in front to back.

2irralt.jpg
Son just listened to this song. Blew my mind.
eek.gif
first it was like lmao he is talking about them sugar walls and has a bunch of puns like "I can feel your reign when it cries gold lives inside of you". Then if these walls could talk is basically the woman telling kendrick how happy she is when she is with him. Then the woman reveals how she is covering up herself with this fling relationship for her deeper problems. Then third verse it gets darker and kendrick addresses her baby daddy in prison, berating him saying to listen to "Sing About Me" from his first album how his friend got killed but karma came back and killer got indicted the same night. Then told him when this song replays listen to the first verse of how much he is enjoying his girl. If walls could talk but she is never going to tell this dude while he is in prison.

Then in another way the Walls are like Compton and how he had to live and flourish inside them because he had no choice ("if these walls could talk they would tell me to swim good" had a double meaning between the baby mama and Compton) and the "I resonate in these walls. I don't know how long I can wait in these walls. I've been on the streets looking at you from the outside in" and how badly he wanted to get out of those walls. Which is like the breaking of the cocoon he was in about his poem. )
#levels

good analysis.

A few tracks are layered like this. Like dude really put effort into his song writing.

2irralt.jpg
Son just listened to this song. Blew my mind.
eek.gif

#levels

good analysis.

A few tracks are layered like this. Like dude really put effort into his song writing.
Definitely.

For Free? is a top 3 corniest tracks of 2015

Isn't it a skit?

This album isn't for everyone, it's gonna catch a lot of hate. It's so different than what all the other gold and platinum selling rappers are putting out right now. That's what makes it even better. Son went platinum with his last album and didn't conform to the radio and all these other rappers today. I appreciate that more than anything.

I thought Lupe's album was a good album. He was rapping his *** off but it wasn't for me. Maybe it's too much going on at times or something. Just not something I want to hear again but that was a good album.

Last edited:
I thought Lupe's album was good but it had some tracks I can skip it. A few were beautifully made but the replay value since release, I haven't played it a few days after released.

Honestly the album version of "i" is my favorite song on this album.
The other tracks will most likely end up in my recycle bin.

Last edited:
Being somewhat of a stan of Drake, K. Dot, Cole and to a lesser extent Sean Don, I appreciate what they each bring to the table. They are very good lyrically, I prefer Cole and Kendrick but both Drake and Sean can rap their ***** off. They all have different styles that work for what they do. I don't think preferring a particular sound or flow is wrong, it's needed. There may not be many if any club bangers on TPAB, but I don't believe that was the intention.

With TPAB I feel the content and variety of topics that Kendrick was able to weave into this album (women, materialism, racism, depression and suicide, temptation, spirituality, substance abuse, politics and just the general times we're living in) hearkens back to the days when rap was more about your bank account, how many cars you have and punchlines. I hits me on another level because it means something and being from the south this sound is literally what I was raised on growing up. I think the music fits the message perfectly, if it would have been more trap beats with the same lyrics I believe some of the message would have been lost cause I know a least for me when the beat is a little too much I'm not even focusing on what's being said. The mellow sound puts the emphasis on where it should be here in my opinion and gets more raw to match the aggressiveness on The Blacker the Berry.

I've literally played nothing besides this the past couple days just trying to pick up on the nuances and things I may have missed. It's truly a masterpiece in my opinion and gives me that same feeling that I had when I first listened to Outkast, Isley Bros, Nas, Big and Pac, back in the day.

This man is really the preacher of our generation.

I had to throw on Aquemini yesterday after the first few listens, so many regions and sounds this album touches upon. I like that analysis @Mamba MVP

Being somewhat of a stan of Drake, K. Dot, Cole and to a lesser extent Sean Don, I appreciate what they each bring to the table. They are very good lyrically, I prefer Cole and Kendrick but both Drake and Sean can rap their ***** off. They all have different styles that work for what they do. I don't think preferring a particular sound or flow is wrong, it's needed. There may not be many if any club bangers on TPAB, but I don't believe that was the intention.

With TPAB I feel the content and variety of topics that Kendrick was able to weave into this album (women, materialism, racism, depression and suicide, temptation, spirituality, substance abuse, politics and just the general times we're living in) hearkens back to the days when rap was more about your bank account, how many cars you have and punchlines. I hits me on another level because it means something and being from the south this sound is literally what I was raised on growing up. I think the music fits the message perfectly, if it would have been more trap beats with the same lyrics I believe some of the message would have been lost cause I know a least for me when the beat is a little too much I'm not even focusing on what's being said. The mellow sound puts the emphasis on where it should be here in my opinion and gets more raw to match the aggressiveness on The Blacker the Berry.

I've literally played nothing besides this the past couple days just trying to pick up on the nuances and things I may have missed. It's truly a masterpiece in my opinion and gives me that same feeling that I had when I first listened to Outkast, Isley Bros, Nas, Big and Pac, back in the day.

This man is really the preacher of our generation.
4sBuzKD.gif

Listening to the album all day yesterday.. "i" had the most plays out of the day.. Who would've thought it!?!? :rofl:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom