Official HBO's The Newsroom Thread Vol: Season 3

HBO put up the 1st episode http://www.youtube.com/wa...=youtu.be&has_verified=1

Natalie Morales is going to be on
pimp.gif

I thought this was great
pimp.gif
....really gave a nice background on the inner workings of a major cable news network. Plus I really like Sorkin's writing style too, I think this show could have a long shelf life if HBO gets the ratings for it, major news stories are always gonna be able to be written in....can't wait till they get to things like End of the war in Irag, Bin Laden, and Occupy Wall Street

Spoiler [+]
Anybody notice Jesse Eisenberg from Social Network was the Neal guy from MMS who called in? I saw it on imdb and then rewatched that scene and thought it was pretty funny

I really enjoyed the pilot, I will be watching from here on. I always liked the "behind the scenes" perspective.

Does it go on HBOGo right as it airs, or after it has aired?
nerd.gif

was it actually good? critics tore the pilot apart with bad reviews...think i only saw one good review. hearing mostly bad stuff

Originally Posted by presequel

was it actually good? critics tore the pilot apart with bad reviews...think i only saw one good review. hearing mostly bad stuff

News media excoriating a television show that often harshly critiques current news organizations? Who would have thought? I appreciated many of the critiques I read (in The New Republic, Slate, and The New Yorker among others) but those reviewers fundamentally failed at respecting one of the tenets of great criticism: review what the work tried to be, not what it should be. These journalists want the show to paint them as victims. But Sorkin won't because delineating many of the harsh economic realities of the news business is mundane. Also, much of it is self-inflicted. Sorkin is an intellectual idealist and what he does makes some damn good television. This isn't a documentary series, after all. I bet many in the Beltway similarly criticized TWW. 
I liked it. Sorkin had me at Northwestern. 

Here's a positive review by Dan Rather: http://gawker.com/5920929/dan-rather-reviewed-the-newsroom-for-us-and-liked-it

I liked this pilot. Hbo has a free showing directly on their website which is how I watched it since I don't have Hbo. If you're into current events, politics, and and a dreamworld where the news actually reports the news, this show is for you. I absolutely loved the opening about how the US isn't the greatest country in the world, but it can be and it should be. And Don Quixote is my jam

I was talking to a friend, and they better show serious backlash to Will for his tirade at the College. In reality that would have been career suicide, I'm sure that will come if not in the next episode then soon, but they better not dismiss it. There needs to be recourse.

Originally Posted by presequel

I know we like to read reviews to get an idea of the quality of something, but this is one of those things where you have to watch it for yourself.  I watch a ton of tv shows and thought the show was good.  I will definitely keep watching .  Sometimes we let reviews already decide our opinion of something before we even watch it.

"I am a marine and I will beat the **** out of you no matter how many protein bars you eat!"
laugh.gif

Just watched it on hbo go and I gotta say I definitely enjoyed it..this show has some great potential and Sorkin is just the best story teller.

@hankmoody @shogun thanks, i'll check it out on hbogo. i take reviews with a grain of salt but usually its not a good start if theres alot of negatives....but the way you described it makes sense for this kind of subject.

I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. I have a question for you guys. Mckenzie was actually at the university showing him the signs. Was that entire situation planned for him to react the way he did, or just coincidence?

^^^i think she had come back from reporting overseas and that she had went to see him(probably cause she still has feelings for him and thought he was being the "jay leno" of the news as they were saying)and wanted to spark something in him. You can tell he plays it safe and doesnt really give his real views on topics as stated in the opening how he stayed on the fence until he was pushed to give his ACTUAL opinion. I hope they play that side more often to were he doesnt cater to the bs and tells people the news that the mass media doesnt want you to hear. But damn i must say i enjoed it even the slow part in the middle definitely will be one of the shows i make sure to catch each week. Hbo is lucky i was thinking about canceling due to how wack this season of true blood has been

The Sorkinisms vid was funny. I was always suspicious of him using phrases over & over. That vid confirmed it. I'll preface my remarks with the fact that I liked The West Wing.

Loved this show. Some of the dialog is a melodramatic, but I loved it. It's hard to believe the first thing Sorkin wrote was A Few Good Men (the play, which turned into the movie). He's uber talented.

Can't wait till the season unfolds & looking forward to seeing Olivia Munn. This show has a really nice cast. Jeff Daniels has been knocking it out of the park ever since The Squid And The Whale.

I forget who mentioned it, but I caught on to Eisenburg voicing the MMS guy on the phone too. That was a nice Easter egg. Hope they have more stuff like that...

Yeah I'm surprised that it got bashed on soooo bad by critics. One or two I disregard. But when you start seeing bad reviews over and over it makes you wonder

Even with the flaws I found it interesting

I enjoyed the second episode. It set up the character dynamics that we can expect throughout the rest of season. Also it didn't hurt that they introduced Olivia Munn's character.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom