OFFICIAL G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Movie Thread; $56.2 Million during the Opening Wknd

Originally Posted by i3allistic

Only reason im watching this movie

gi-joe-snake-eyes2.jpg
and
storm-shadow.jpg
imo storm shadow > snake eyes..only in that movie
storm shadow is that dude
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

I was wondering how long it would take for the flightposites to be mentioned, I wanted to say something to the girl I was with but I knew she wouldn'tknow/care what I was talking about, then give me that look...

they definitely caught me off guard though

People hating are silly. Settle the hell down and quit expecting the Godfather 4 for a damn action/CGI summer movie.
eyes.gif

I was entertained from start to finish, of course there were things I wish they did a little better, or left out completely (snake eye's.....lips?
sick.gif
, or CC's mask, or the pointless Brendan Frasier) but overall it wasfine. Funny, tons of action, 2 of the hottest lookin starlett's I've seen on the big screen (Good Lord Baroness, good Lord
devil.gif
)

Duke was basically Paul Walker, the same look on his face at all times, looks like he's reading his lines every once in a while, I think the director justloves him or something.
laugh.gif

To me they pulled this off a little like the first X-men, here's what we can do, here's a few characters, this is how the networks are run and set up,and now we're set up for a huge duel in the sequel in which they'll bring in more characters and have all kinds of plot lines to go back and forthwith.

My first scene in the next movie would def be a flashback or something and let's have Baroness joggin on the beach or something, maybe make it last 20-30minutes, maybe white bikini, that black hair of hers up in a ponytail.........let's make that 30-45 minutes of a scene, and then the second scene could beher taking a shower after said jog. Then, roll credits.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Mangudai954 wrote:
When I saw the preview I was confused, doesn't even look like a GI Joe movie
When I saw the preview I was
sick.gif
, there is no way in hell I amwatching this movie, even when it hits cable. This movie should have never been made. Hollywood straight ruined my favorite cartoon ever
smh.gif

You guys seriously thought they were going to make a Batman Begins-esque G.I. Joe movie?

Seriously????

Do you not remember the cartoons?

They shot LASER guns. No one EVER DIED. I was more than happy with this movie. They worked in most if not all of the vehicles, they incorporated an interestingstoryline for Cobra Commander, didn't OD on having six 1 on 1 fights going on in the last 30 minutes, and kept it pretty realistic, while still adding inthat element of cartoon G.I. Joe.

The only thing they could have done without was Marlon Wayans and writing in all these terrible jokes into his dialogue. I would have been find with that. Oh,and they should have just given Destro a mask.

Originally Posted by DMoney82

What about the flightposites? Did someone have a pair on in the movie?
Scarlet wore Black Flightposite 1s.
[h1]'G.I. Joe' Cashes In With $56.2M Weekend Opening[/h1]
Sunday, August 09, 2009
service_ap_36.gif

AP

The 'G.I. Joe' team stands at attention in this photo released by Paramount Pictures.

LOS ANGELES - G.I. Joe is the latest toy to invade Hollywood and plant its blockbuster flag.

Inspired by the Hasbro action figure, Paramount's "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically, according to studio estimates Sunday. "G.I. Joe" also took in $44.3 million overseas for a worldwide total of $100.5 million.

Meryl Streep's Julia Childs tale "Julie & Julia" opened a solid No. 2 as an alternative for adult crowds with $20.1 million. While "G.I. Joe" was the first choice for young males, women 35 and older were the main audience for "Julie & Julia."

"G.I. Joe" follows Paramount's "Transformers" franchise as the latest toy story to find success on the big screen.

Harsh reviews for "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" earlier this summer prompted Paramount to skip critic screenings for "G.I. Joe" and put the movie in theaters sight-unseen by most reviewers.

Critics generally trashed the "Transformers" sequel, yet it had a colossal opening and is on its way to joining the handful of movies to top $400 million domestically. Based on that disparity between critical and commercial reaction, the studio decided it could do without reviews for "G.I. Joe."

"The thing we saw from 'Transformers' is that with these kind of movies, at times critics have a hard time getting their arms around them," said Rob Moore, Paramount vice chairman. "But the audience got exactly what it was. A fun summer movie, a great way to end your summer. You just relax and have a good time. You don't have to worry about global politics or global warming."

Critics who went to see "G.I. Joe" after it opened gave it mixed reviews at best, with many branding it mindless action but some finding it fun and entertaining.

The weekend's other new wide release, Universal's slasher thriller "A Perfect Getaway" with Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich, opened weakly at No. 7 with $5.8 million.

The previous weekend's top movie, Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen's "Funny People," tumbled to No. 5 with $7.9 million, down a whopping 65 percent from its opening weekend. The Universal release has taken in $40.4 million so far.

"G.I. Joe" pulled Hollywood out of a monthlong box-office swoon compared with last summer. The overall box office came in at $147 million, up 22 percent from the same weekend a year ago, when the Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight" still was the No. 1 flick after four weeks in release.

"'Joe' kind of saved the day," said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com. "We needed a box-office hero to turn things around, and we certainly got it."

But summer revenues continue to lag behind last year's, with receipts this season down about 1 percent.

"G.I. Joe" features Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, Marlon Wayans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a globe-trotting adventure about an elite military unit taking on a corrupt arms dealer.

While the G.I. Joe action figures started out as all-American heroes, the movie expands their story to include an international team of good guys to capitalize on overseas box office, which nowadays can equal or exceed domestic receipts for Hollywood movies.

"One of the best markets on the movie was Russia," Moore said. "How far G.I. Joe has come. He was incredibly popular in Russia."

"Julie & Julia" casts Streep as celebrated chef Childs and Amy Adams as a woman trying to revitalize her own life by cooking every recipe in Childs' "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

Sony opened it opposite "G.I. Joe" to give adults a fresh option after a summer of action adventures, family flicks and comedies.

"We felt the audience we were going to start with was going to be very hungry by this point," said Rory Bruer, Sony's head of distribution. "It's a really fun movie with heart and humor and good food."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," $56.2 million.

2. "Julie & Julia," $20.1 million.

3. "G-Force," $9.8 million.

4. "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," $8.9 million.

5. "Funny People," $7.9 million.

6. "The Ugly Truth," $7 million.

7. "A Perfect Getaway," $5.8 million.

8. "Aliens in the Attic," $4 million.

9. "Orphan," $3.73 million.

10. "500 Days of Summer," $3.7 million.

My post from the other thread

I just got back from the theater. I thought this movie was going to bring back some memories of the 2nd greatest cartoon show ever (next to Transformers), instead I walked out with a nightmare. Paramount just used GI Joe names and threw in a boring plot and surround it with so much crappy CGI. This movie was too damn futuristic, I hated all the battle scenes except for Snakeye's parts. And they sure did bastardize Cobra Commander, hell, they bastardize everyone from the 80s show except for Snake Eyes and Baroness, she looked hot. One dude was so pissed he dumped his entire Super large bucket of popcorn in the urinal in the restroom. Damn Hollywood. I'll just wait for GI Joe season 1 on November on a DVD package.

I'm very disappointed Paramount made a fool of the baddest evil character in cartoons history.

2qc1bx1.png

And this picture is very disgraceful, DAMN Hasbro, Damn Hollywood
Cobra%20Commander.jpg

I mentioned the girl wearing the flightposites to crazy dav0 while we were watching it but forgot to bring it up in this post
laugh.gif

Pretty good movie imo.

Lots of action. I personally loved the Snake Eyes action scenes and flashbacks of his life.
pimp.gif

Making Cobra Commander look like that was ehh....Not really what I expected but whatever.

Spoiler [+]
I take it that the guy at the end wasn't really the president uh? The whistling gave it away
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Rafool

Spoiler [+]
I take it that the guy at the end wasn't really the president uh? The whistling gave it away
laugh.gif
Spoiler [+]
Damn you really need to ask that? I thought that was pretty obvious, without having to doubt it.
laugh.gif
just playing. But yeah it was that strange guy who was from The Mummy.. Not sure where they will go with that in the next film though.

That movie was pure trash. I expected explosions and everything but after about a quarter of the way into the movie I was just purely uninterested. By themiddle of it I just wanted to leave

Back
Top Bottom