OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

I dunno why but whenever I see Meth post, this gif plays on my mind :lol:

thor-attack.gif

dat accuracy :lol:

man this team could have used lillard. keeping plumlee and drummon seems like overkill

i hope its just rust for Drose, but i dont know if he will adjust his game. no matter what i dont think he will be as explosive as he was pre ACL
I'm all in on Lillard, seriously think he is the league's next big thing, but yeah that Duke connection between coach K and Kyrie was the kicker

man this team could have used lillard. keeping plumlee and drummon seems like overkill

I disagree. If we play ball, Spain is our only real competition for the title and those dudes are massive. You need big bodies to hold your own against those boys. It's not like Coach K has the greatness of Lebron, KD, or Melo on this team. So, he had to choose a team to match the competition. Yet another gaurd wouldn't have helped our chances.

Kyrie Irving ‏@KyrieIrving 29m
Im all good everybody, just a tough fall. Appreciate the concern #ontobarcelona

I disagree. If we play ball, Spain is our only real competition for the title and those dudes are massive. You need big bodies to hold your own against those boys. It's not like Coach K has the greatness of Lebron, KD, or Melo on this team. So, he had to choose a team to match the competition. Yet another guard wouldn't have helped our chances.

no doubt Spain has a beefy front court. but they also have legit wing players

i just dont see a circumstance where plumlee and drummond need to play meaningful minutes in any close game. whereas i think lillard could step in if a guard has foul trouble, gets hurt, etc.

AT THE END OF THE DAY that decision will not affect the outcome of the tournament. Gives me something to talk about during these blow outs.

This US has looked modest at best. But believe or not, the world has caught up a bit now. We are not going to beat teams by 40 or 50 points like DT 1 did. Even with this B team we sent this year, I fully expect to win the whole thing though. Spain is good, and they have interior quality, but if you watch the games, their guard play has been moderate at best. Calderon, Fernandez, Rubio don't particularly shoot well. They get points because they take a lot of shots. Let see what happens.

Next game against the Mexicans on Saturday. any predictions on the over/under margin victory? :smokin

This US has looked modest at best. But believe or not, the world has caught up a bit now. We are not going to beat teams by 40 or 50 points like DT 1 did. Even with this B team we sent this year, I fully expect to win the whole thing though. Spain is good, and they have interior quality, but if you watch the games, their guard play has been moderate at best. Calderon, Fernandez, Rubio don't particularly shoot well. They get points because they take a lot of shots. Let see what happens.

Next game against the Mexicans on Saturday. any predictions on the over/under margin victory? :smokin

We would have be easily beating teams by 40-50 if Durant, Love, George, Blake, Leonard (as pln were out there playing instead of Faried, Gay, Derozan, Cousins.

9-man rotation of

Kyrie
George
Durant
Love
ANT

Blake
Leonard
Klay or Curry
Rose

I think that team would definitely be tearing opponents up by 50.

I really enjoy NT's collective basketball knowledge and I appreciate the insight people give in this thread. With that in mind do you guys think international ball has caught up or is it that superior teamwork and continuity level the playing field?

I still believe that if a team like Spain had to operate under the conditions that Team USA finds itself in every 4 years they wouldn't be nearly as successful. Imagine that for every international competition they had to get a new group of players that never played together and had to get them to play like a team within a month. The offense and defense game plan would be limited based on the nature of the beast.

I really enjoy NT's collective basketball knowledge and I appreciate the insight people give in this thread. With that in mind do you guys think international ball has caught up or is it that superior teamwork and continuity level the playing field?

I still believe that if a team like Spain had to operate under the conditions that Team USA finds itself in every 4 years they wouldn't be nearly as successful. Imagine that for every international competition they had to get a new group of players that never played together and had to get them to play like a team within a month. The offense and defense game plan would be limited based on the nature of the beast.

well, obviously but thats the fun of the tournament, experience euro squads, using teamwork, good coaching and chemistry to give them a punchers chance at beating USA in a single game sameple.

USA should dominate at baskeball anything else would be a failure, they have the money, population base that destroys everyone else.

We would have be easily beating teams by 40-50 if Durant, Love, George, Blake, Leonard (as pln were out there playing instead of Faried, Gay, Derozan, Cousins.

9-man rotation of

Kyrie
George
Durant
Love
ANT

Blake
Leonard
Klay or Curry
Rose

I think that team would definitely be tearing opponents up by 50.

Even with this team, we still would have games that are close. Look at the last Olympics. Other countries have their NT play together more often. We just put together some great players for a couple of weeks and boom send them out for the tournament. I agree, even with this scenario, we still need to destroy other countries in basketball :D

The talent overseas has caught up but the problem is all the talent is spread out.

There should be a USA vs the world game one day, that'd be fun.

A worlds team would field : Rubio/Dragic/Parker, Manu/Wiggins/Fernandez, Nicolas Batum/Giannis/Dirk, Pau brothers, Ibaka/Asik

Just off the top of my head. Don't see how that wouldn't be competitive with whatever the USA wants to put out

Last edited:
The talent overseas has caught up but the problem is all the talent is spread out.

There should be a USA vs the world game one day, that'd be fun.

A worlds team would field : Rubio/Dragic/Parker, Manu/Wiggins/Fernandez, Nicolas Batum/Giannis/Dirk, Pau brothers, Ibaka

Just off the top of my head. Don't see how that wouldn't be competitive with whatever the USA wants to put out

I'd love to see this. A best out of 3 would be great.

I think it REALLY helps that Spain's team fits perfectly and is full of high BBIQ guys. Even if they were thrown together last minute, its a team full of great passers, unselfish guys with a lot of different skills.

With that said, I think the international teams have caught up to a certain extent. They'll never have the all star teams that we do but if you put together a good team (like Spain for example) - you can put up a fight against anyone.

Back
Top Bottom