Official Detroit Pistons Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by purplenurple1414

We should most definitely keep the core 4 here.
Sheed needs to stay. He'd be great as a mentor to Maxiell and Amir.
Of those 4, the one that has to go is Rip. They can still trade him for a good scorer. Rip + incentives for Redd?
pimp.gif

Stuckey and Maxiell show promise. Get rid of all that garbage we picked up this year (Hermann, Dixon, Hayes)
Draft CDR
pimp.gif

Sheed as a mentor?
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Rip + filler for Redd? Why when Rip>>>>>>>>>>>Redd

Hermann, Dixon, and Hayes are gone (although those guys CAN play)

CDR is cool and all, but is he better than Afflalo? If anything we need to draft a more athletic/physical 3 to backup song Prince, or even a backup 1 toreplace Lindsey (I don't think Stuckey is a playmaker yet)...maybe we can pickup either Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, or Bill Walker?

if any superstar/big name player that can score is on the block this summer pistons better be one of the 1st teams to call

Sheed needs to stay. He'd be great as a mentor to Maxiell and Amir.
Sheed can't even motivate himself, hows he gonna mentor those two?

CDR is cool and all, but is he better than Afflalo? If anything we need to draft a more athletic/physical 3 to backup song Prince, or even a backup 1 to replace Lindsey (I don't think Stuckey is a playmaker yet)...maybe we can pickup either Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, or Bill Walker?
While CDR would be my first choice, I do agree we need a capable backup for Tay. CDR and Afflalo have different games. CDR is more of a scorer,I see Afflalo as more of like Lindsey who will be a lockdown defender.

sheed and rip for tmac?
smh.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

sheed and rip for tmac?
as much as i get on tmac i would do that trade if im the pistons. you got to make a change and bringing in a big time scoring threat would help outalot.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

sheed and rip for tmac?
as much as i get on tmac i would do that trade if im the pistons. you got to make a change and bringing in a big time scoring threat would help out alot.

And why would Houston want to do that deal? I seriously doubt they would want Sheed around to negatively influence Yao

why is there an offseason thread for the Detroit Asstons...we all know nothing nteresting is going to happen on htat sorry team

why is there an offseason thread for the Detroit Asstons...we all know nothing nteresting is going to happen on htat sorry team
indifferent.gif

edit: that was the first oversized stoneface I've ever given out, congrats.

The Pistons have a lot of good pieces. They just don't have a superstar. In this day and age of basketball, it seems like you need one to win achampionship. I know the 04 Pistons team didn't have one, but they had a prominent force on the defensive end (Ben Wallace), but you just need someone togive the ball to and flat out score for you.

I don't think you guys need to get rid of Sheed, because he is your heart. I say the reason why you guys lost it to the Pistons was because Billups wasjust hurt. I know he was saying to everyone that he's 100%, but you could just see how hurt he was.

You guys need a young PG to take over once Billups goes away, because he is a bit old, and his better days are behind him. Dude is 31 years old, you guys needanother PG. Especially since the Pistons are built around a lot of GOOD solid players. Guys like Prince, Hamilton, Maxiell, and Wallace you need someone whocan facilitate the ball well.

If you guys want a quick fix, I say Joe Dumars goes out, and finds himself a solid center. Someone who is a defensive presense on the inside, and can grabboards.

The Pistons realistically have another 2-3 years window to win it all. Billups and Wallace aren't getting younger, and without those two players thePistons are nothing.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

The Pistons have a lot of good pieces. They just don't have a superstar. In this day and age of basketball, it seems like you need one to win a championship. I know the 04 Pistons team didn't have one, but they had a prominent force on the defensive end (Ben Wallace), but you just need someone to give the ball to and flat out score for you.

I don't think you guys need to get rid of Sheed, because he is your heart. I say the reason why you guys lost it to the Pistons was because Billups was just hurt. I know he was saying to everyone that he's 100%, but you could just see how hurt he was.

You guys need a young PG to take over once Billups goes away, because he is a bit old, and his better days are behind him. Dude is 31 years old, you guys need another PG. Especially since the Pistons are built around a lot of GOOD solid players. Guys like Prince, Hamilton, Maxiell, and Wallace you need someone who can facilitate the ball well.

If you guys want a quick fix, I say Joe Dumars goes out, and finds himself a solid center. Someone who is a defensive presense on the inside, and can grab boards.

The Pistons realistically have another 2-3 years window to win it all. Billups and Wallace aren't getting younger, and without those two players the Pistons are nothing.

Name one solid center out there that is available on the market...not guys like Nazr Muhammedor Chiek Samb

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Pistons say Flip Saunders won't return as coach[/h1]

30016.jpg

Saunders
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The Detroit Pistons say Flip Saunders will not be back as coach next season. "Decisions like this are difficult to make," team president Joe Dumars said on the team's Web site. "However, at this time, I feel it is necessary to make a change."
In his three seasons, the Pistons were 176-70 in the regular season and 30-21 in the postseason, but they lost in the conference finals each year.

Saunders had a year left on a four-year deal he signed in 2005. He replaced Larry Brown, who won a title in two trips to the NBA Finals.

He has a career record of 587-296 in 13 years with the Pistons and Minnesota Timberwolves.

Not a surprise...players (Sheed) seemed to tune him out, and also with no extension going into his last year I didn't believe he would finishthe year out anyhow.
What we do as a replacement depends on the direction of the team...
Rebuild? Give a young coach a chance like a Michael Curry
One more run? Well look for the best available veteran coach, maybe even Avery
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

The Pistons have a lot of good pieces. They just don't have a superstar. In this day and age of basketball, it seems like you need one to win a championship. I know the 04 Pistons team didn't have one, but they had a prominent force on the defensive end (Ben Wallace), but you just need someone to give the ball to and flat out score for you.

I don't think you guys need to get rid of Sheed, because he is your heart. I say the reason why you guys lost it to the Pistons was because Billups was just hurt. I know he was saying to everyone that he's 100%, but you could just see how hurt he was.

You guys need a young PG to take over once Billups goes away, because he is a bit old, and his better days are behind him. Dude is 31 years old, you guys need another PG. Especially since the Pistons are built around a lot of GOOD solid players. Guys like Prince, Hamilton, Maxiell, and Wallace you need someone who can facilitate the ball well.

If you guys want a quick fix, I say Joe Dumars goes out, and finds himself a solid center. Someone who is a defensive presense on the inside, and can grab boards.

The Pistons realistically have another 2-3 years window to win it all. Billups and Wallace aren't getting younger, and without those two players the Pistons are nothing.

I've been saying this the last 2 years. Pistons need a one-on-one superstar scorer. Time and time again, we watch them run the same offensivesets/plays and fail to score in the fourth quarter. they need a player who can create for themselves. i say keep Sheed, let his contract expire next year andthen hit the free agency market for Wade, Bron, Melo, or Kobe. Also, what about trying to trade Sheed or Billups for Iverson? AI at point would be deadly.

Eh, I don't know about Curry.

To be honest....Flip didn't do that bad of a job this year, at least compared to the previous years.
He did at least try to use his bench giving the young guys some minutes

Good Bye Flip...

Your teams were flame outs in the playoffs after 64 and 57 win seasons......

I kinda like this one...

Denver's brass has said they'll look at every possible scenario this offseason, and there are no doubt plenty of possibilities in Detroit.

For starters, Billups is a guy the Nuggets could take a long look at it, and the Pistons might be ready to move him given his age and the stellar play of rookie Rodney Stuckey in the postseason. The Nuggets could start by building a package around center Marcus Camby who would give the Pistons the inside shot blocking presence the team has lacked since the departure of Ben Wallace to Chicago in the summer of 2006. In addition to being a Denver native, Billups is also a point guard with the kind of size the Nuggets have been looking for to complement Allen Iverson in the backcourt.

However, Billups has never been a pass-first point guard which could cause problems if he were to team-up with Iverson. Moreover, Billups' has three years and a fourth-year team option left on a contract which will pay him $11-million next season and increases by basically $1-million annually through the 2011-2012 season. That is certainly one heck of a salary for the Nuggets to absorb.

The Pistons and the Nuggets could also expand the deal to include multiple pieces. The Nuggets could package Iverson, Camby and Kleiza in exchange for Billups, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess, a deal which would work under the cap.

The aforementioned deal would undoubtedly shake up both squads. The Nuggets would inherit another potential headache in Wallace. However, when Wallace has his head screwed on straight -- which hasn't happened frequently enough for Dumars' liking in the past couple of seasons -- he's a formidable defender and almost impossible to guard on the offensive end.

Furthermore, given the fact Wallace will be in the final year of his contract next season makes it somewhat less risky of a move from Denver's perspective. It's also worth noting that Denver VP of Basketball Operations Mark Warkentien is familiar with Wallace as a result of their days together in Portland and has a great deal of respect for what he brings to the table.

The deal would also allow two former Nuggets a chance to come home in Billups and McDyess. Billups would give the Nuggets another fan favorite to offset the loss of Iverson at the box-office, and he would also give Denver a bigger and better defender at the point. McDyess would bring a much needed mild-mannered, veteran presence to a locker room full of strong personalities.

For the Pistons, there would definitely be some concerns with regard to whether or not Iverson and Hamilton could coexist given Iverson's propensity to over-dribble and Hamilton's game which is dependent on a good point guard delivering the rock when he comes off of screens. Still, with a scorer like Iverson, a shot blocker like Camby and a developing young scorer in Kleiza, this is a deal the Pistons would have to consider. And much like Wallace, if things don't work out between Iverson and the Pistons, Detroit could simply let him walk after the season.

Would give us a roster of:

Iverson, Stuckey
Rip, Afflalo
Prince, Kleiza
Maxiel, Amir Johnson
Camby, ??? Posible FA

This is assuming Ratliff, Hunter, Dixon, and Herrmann are goners.
I think we'd still need a legit low post scoring option, but I like the fact that we'd keep Rip and have a potential go to guy in Iverson
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom