Official Dallas Mavericks vs. OKC Thunder (WCF) Thread. Dallas Mavericks Western Conference Champs

Jesus_Basketball2%28sm%29.jpg

Or maybe you just cut the substiantive part of my argument out of your quote and jumped to the end, where I was reply IN KIND to all the name calling.

"Who am I and what am I doing? I guess thinking it's not that ridiculous to move a team from a place with &#($ty attendance to a place where you get better attendance, not to mention one place won't take the tax hit to improve the arena and one will, not to mention you paid $350,000,000 and still gave them an ultimatum/window which they refused, isn't that outrageous. Let's add to that the fact you were operating in the red in Seattle versus turning a profit in OKC."

I'm guessing this is what you are referring to as the substantive part of your quote that I didn't include. First off, it's already been said a lot, but the Thunder's impressive attendance is most likely a novelty. It's just like the Sounders here in Seattle or the Timbers in Portland. Time will tell just how the much OKC appreciates the Thunder. A lot of people are band-wagoners, irregardless of the city, and that doesn't help get people excited about raising taxes when the team is rebuilding and the arena is fine. David Stern loved the Key a little while back. I've watched plenty of games there and never felt that it was inadequate compared to other arenas. Unless you've been to every arena and done research as to which is most 'acceptable' for basketball operations and found that Key Arena is the worst, then I really don't think you have an argument. Yes, lawmakers did take Clay Bennett's money when nothing else could be done. That shouldn't be a surprise: politicians everywhere can't agree on anything in a timely manner except for accepting money. As for profitability, it really depends on how the accounting is done. As a private company, they can tell the public pretty much whatever they choose regarding profits. I don't see how you can say that he is out of the red and currently turning in a profit without the PBC LLC's financial statements, which you don't have unless you are a member of the PBC. Just think about all the expenses the PBC has amassed since it was created... 

Given that I am having insults hurled at me and being cussed at from like 8 people, hard to see how I'm singled out as the angry one or getting off course. Heck, check this out, this is the actual Producers/ Sonicsgate dude btw http://insidehoops.com/forum/ showthread.php?t=223706 leading other angry Seattle fans in an anti Oklahoma poem.

It's unfortunate that stereotypes and insults are being thrown in both directions, so I'd rather not read the thread. Yes, the Sonicsgate guy is a troll, but his documentary is accurate, interesting and fair. Believe it or not, you probably wouldn't be offended by it. If you really wanted to get a complete understanding of what happened, then you should check it out.

But you are only proving my point by mentioning "the other 37 years of the sonics' existence" as seperate with the last 4, as if the NBA/Schultz/Bennet owed you something because of the former, with total disregard for the latter in terms of staying in Seattle. Blame your lawmakers if anybody. OKC pulled a power move. I'm sure in a decade or so, they might be moving again if OKC doesn't do their due diligence to keep them here, both in terms of the fans and the people who vote and I'll just have to have some perspective and live with it and move on. Or I could dedicate the rest of my existence to hating and trolling on the city and fans of the new location/team but that just seems loser-!#@ and like too much work

In no way did I help you prove your point. Your point has been that the people of Seattle didn't support the Sonics and that is why we lost them.  My point is that they did support them and continue to do so. I said that for 37 years the Sonics were considered a model franchise for the NBA, which means that the NBA was happy with their profitability and attendance. The last turbulent four years of lower than average attendance were an anomaly in an overall great existence. Of course, the NBA doesn't owe Seattle anything. I never said they did; it's business. The blame can be spread a lot of ways but the simple solution that the people of Seattle didn't support the Sonics is misguided. Also, I don't consider these 2 posts on NT as spending my existence on hating and trolling the Thunder. Anyway, I don't want to derail the Mavericks and Thunder thread anymore, so I'll leave it at that. 

Or maybe you just cut the substiantive part of my argument out of your quote and jumped to the end, where I was reply IN KIND to all the name calling.

"Who am I and what am I doing? I guess thinking it's not that ridiculous to move a team from a place with &#($ty attendance to a place where you get better attendance, not to mention one place won't take the tax hit to improve the arena and one will, not to mention you paid $350,000,000 and still gave them an ultimatum/window which they refused, isn't that outrageous. Let's add to that the fact you were operating in the red in Seattle versus turning a profit in OKC."

I'm guessing this is what you are referring to as the substantive part of your quote that I didn't include. First off, it's already been said a lot, but the Thunder's impressive attendance is most likely a novelty. It's just like the Sounders here in Seattle or the Timbers in Portland. Time will tell just how the much OKC appreciates the Thunder. A lot of people are band-wagoners, irregardless of the city, and that doesn't help get people excited about raising taxes when the team is rebuilding and the arena is fine. David Stern loved the Key a little while back. I've watched plenty of games there and never felt that it was inadequate compared to other arenas. Unless you've been to every arena and done research as to which is most 'acceptable' for basketball operations and found that Key Arena is the worst, then I really don't think you have an argument. Yes, lawmakers did take Clay Bennett's money when nothing else could be done. That shouldn't be a surprise: politicians everywhere can't agree on anything in a timely manner except for accepting money. As for profitability, it really depends on how the accounting is done. As a private company, they can tell the public pretty much whatever they choose regarding profits. I don't see how you can say that he is out of the red and currently turning in a profit without the PBC LLC's financial statements, which you don't have unless you are a member of the PBC. Just think about all the expenses the PBC has amassed since it was created... 

Given that I am having insults hurled at me and being cussed at from like 8 people, hard to see how I'm singled out as the angry one or getting off course. Heck, check this out, this is the actual Producers/ Sonicsgate dude btw http://insidehoops.com/forum/ showthread.php?t=223706 leading other angry Seattle fans in an anti Oklahoma poem.

It's unfortunate that stereotypes and insults are being thrown in both directions, so I'd rather not read the thread. Yes, the Sonicsgate guy is a troll, but his documentary is accurate, interesting and fair. Believe it or not, you probably wouldn't be offended by it. If you really wanted to get a complete understanding of what happened, then you should check it out.

But you are only proving my point by mentioning "the other 37 years of the sonics' existence" as seperate with the last 4, as if the NBA/Schultz/Bennet owed you something because of the former, with total disregard for the latter in terms of staying in Seattle. Blame your lawmakers if anybody. OKC pulled a power move. I'm sure in a decade or so, they might be moving again if OKC doesn't do their due diligence to keep them here, both in terms of the fans and the people who vote and I'll just have to have some perspective and live with it and move on. Or I could dedicate the rest of my existence to hating and trolling on the city and fans of the new location/team but that just seems loser-!#@ and like too much work

In no way did I help you prove your point. Your point has been that the people of Seattle didn't support the Sonics and that is why we lost them.  My point is that they did support them and continue to do so. I said that for 37 years the Sonics were considered a model franchise for the NBA, which means that the NBA was happy with their profitability and attendance. The last turbulent four years of lower than average attendance were an anomaly in an overall great existence. Of course, the NBA doesn't owe Seattle anything. I never said they did; it's business. The blame can be spread a lot of ways but the simple solution that the people of Seattle didn't support the Sonics is misguided. Also, I don't consider these 2 posts on NT as spending my existence on hating and trolling the Thunder. Anyway, I don't want to derail the Mavericks and Thunder thread anymore, so I'll leave it at that. 

He bought the team in 06. At that time, attendance was bad and he/Stern were unhappy with the arena. Some people I know in Olympia said KD wasn't much of a personality and

It's well known he bought the team with intent to bring them back here. So again, the previous 37 yrs would mean nothing to him, and I have seen most of the documentary, and the website, and the twitter board, and hell he has snet me some inbreeder, cow raising, church going, cousin marryin, and other ignorant +%% jokes before as well. He and his legion are the ones I refer to when saying dedicating the rest of their existence to being salty.

Keep thinking attendance is a novelty AND that we only go because there's nothing else to do in Oklahoma. Again, 2 arguments totally misguided and generally conceived by people who have never been here, not to mention contradictory. Maybe teams like Atlanta should moves there teams to places where they're "the only show in town."

And your level on perspective on the situation is miles greater than any other Seattle fan I have talked to, like night and day, like they might fight you if you were in a bar or something and they said that out loud.

He bought the team in 06. At that time, attendance was bad and he/Stern were unhappy with the arena. Some people I know in Olympia said KD wasn't much of a personality and

It's well known he bought the team with intent to bring them back here. So again, the previous 37 yrs would mean nothing to him, and I have seen most of the documentary, and the website, and the twitter board, and hell he has snet me some inbreeder, cow raising, church going, cousin marryin, and other ignorant +%% jokes before as well. He and his legion are the ones I refer to when saying dedicating the rest of their existence to being salty.

Keep thinking attendance is a novelty AND that we only go because there's nothing else to do in Oklahoma. Again, 2 arguments totally misguided and generally conceived by people who have never been here, not to mention contradictory. Maybe teams like Atlanta should moves there teams to places where they're "the only show in town."

And your level on perspective on the situation is miles greater than any other Seattle fan I have talked to, like night and day, like they might fight you if you were in a bar or something and they said that out loud.

Originally Posted by srvballer

The Thunder's late game play calls and execution are god awful. I don't know if Coach Brooks is to blame or that players. It's probably a mix of both..

At least a hanful of times this season its just been Durant chucking a 30-35 footer (i think twice in these playoffs). I mean really??? If thats the shot you're gonna get at the end of a game than you deserve to lose. I understand you're a young team but KD and Westbrook have to do better on the last possesions of a close game. They're both great 1 on 1 players, but you have to get to your damn spot on the floor and take a quality look...
KD tricked the play off. He was supposed to take Collison's screen, not just go to the ball.  That would have allowed Thabo to inbound directly to him and he'd be catching around 25 feet with the entire 6 seconds to operate, and possibly have forced the switch so with Dirk on him rather than Marion

Originally Posted by srvballer

The Thunder's late game play calls and execution are god awful. I don't know if Coach Brooks is to blame or that players. It's probably a mix of both..

At least a hanful of times this season its just been Durant chucking a 30-35 footer (i think twice in these playoffs). I mean really??? If thats the shot you're gonna get at the end of a game than you deserve to lose. I understand you're a young team but KD and Westbrook have to do better on the last possesions of a close game. They're both great 1 on 1 players, but you have to get to your damn spot on the floor and take a quality look...
KD tricked the play off. He was supposed to take Collison's screen, not just go to the ball.  That would have allowed Thabo to inbound directly to him and he'd be catching around 25 feet with the entire 6 seconds to operate, and possibly have forced the switch so with Dirk on him rather than Marion

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

I cant believe Thunder fans have the audacity to complain about the refs. Your team lives at the line...

so let me make sure i have this right.. we no longer have a right to be critical?
You can be critical all you want, but the refs arent the reason your team choked down the stretch.

Basically . They choked because their "closer" doesn't know how to close
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

I cant believe Thunder fans have the audacity to complain about the refs. Your team lives at the line...

so let me make sure i have this right.. we no longer have a right to be critical?
You can be critical all you want, but the refs arent the reason your team choked down the stretch.

Basically . They choked because their "closer" doesn't know how to close
laugh.gif

We gotta win game 5.

You give Jason Kidd a weeks worth of rest and he can lock up anybody for 5 minute stretches.

We need him rested to guard Wade down the stretch.

We gotta win game 5.

You give Jason Kidd a weeks worth of rest and he can lock up anybody for 5 minute stretches.

We need him rested to guard Wade down the stretch.

Here's a summary of the teams who won the final three games to win a series, 4-3:

• 2006: The Phoenix Suns started the 2006 playoffs by falling behind, 3-1, to the Los Angeles Lakers before winning the series. They won the next round against the Los Angeles Clippers before losing in the conference finals to the Dallas Mavericks. Phoenix (54-28 during the regular season) had the homecourt advantage over the Lakers (45-37). Phoenix star: league MVP Steve Nash.

• 2003: The Detroit Pistons trailed the Orlando Magic, 3-1, but came back to win the Eastern Conference first-round matchup. The Pistons also won in the next round before losing in the conference finals. The Pistons (50-32) enjoyed the homecourt advantage over Orlando (42-40). Detroit defender: NBA defensive player of the year Ben Wallace.

• 1997: The Miami Heat came back to defeat the New York Knicks in the Eastern Conference semifinals, but lost in the next round despite a 61-win regular season. Miami (61-21) had the homecourt advantage over New York (57-25). Miami scoring leader: Tim Hardaway.

• 1995: The underdog Houston Rockets rallied to defeat the Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference semifinals, and then went on the win the NBA championship. During the regular season, Phoenix (59-23) was 12 games better than Houston (47-35). Houston starting lineup included current TNT analyst Kenny Smith.

• 1981: The Boston Celtics stormed back to defeat the Philadelphia 76ers in the Eastern Conference finals en route to the NBA title. Boston and Philadelphia had tied for the best record in the East that year at 62-20, but Boston had the homecourt for Game 7. Boston star: Larry Bird.

• 1979: The Washington Bullets rallied to defeat the San Antonio Spurs in the Eastern Conference finals, before losing to the Seattle Supersonics in the NBA finals. Washington (54-28) had the homecourt advantage over San Antonio (48-34). Washington star: Elvin Hayes.

• 1970: The Los Angeles Lakers came back to defeat the Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference semifinals and then advanced to the NBA finals before losing to the New York Knicks. During the regular season, the Lakers (46-36) had a better record than Phoenix (39-43). Laker stars: Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor.

• 1968: The Boston Celtics rallied to defeat to the Philadelphia 76ers to win the Eastern Conference finals and then went on to win the NBA championship. The Celtics did this despite having to win Game 7 in Philadelphia. The 76ers (62-20) had a better record than Boston (54-28) during the regular season. Boston stars: Bill Russell and John Havlicek

Here's a summary of the teams who won the final three games to win a series, 4-3:

• 2006: The Phoenix Suns started the 2006 playoffs by falling behind, 3-1, to the Los Angeles Lakers before winning the series. They won the next round against the Los Angeles Clippers before losing in the conference finals to the Dallas Mavericks. Phoenix (54-28 during the regular season) had the homecourt advantage over the Lakers (45-37). Phoenix star: league MVP Steve Nash.

• 2003: The Detroit Pistons trailed the Orlando Magic, 3-1, but came back to win the Eastern Conference first-round matchup. The Pistons also won in the next round before losing in the conference finals. The Pistons (50-32) enjoyed the homecourt advantage over Orlando (42-40). Detroit defender: NBA defensive player of the year Ben Wallace.

• 1997: The Miami Heat came back to defeat the New York Knicks in the Eastern Conference semifinals, but lost in the next round despite a 61-win regular season. Miami (61-21) had the homecourt advantage over New York (57-25). Miami scoring leader: Tim Hardaway.

• 1995: The underdog Houston Rockets rallied to defeat the Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference semifinals, and then went on the win the NBA championship. During the regular season, Phoenix (59-23) was 12 games better than Houston (47-35). Houston starting lineup included current TNT analyst Kenny Smith.

• 1981: The Boston Celtics stormed back to defeat the Philadelphia 76ers in the Eastern Conference finals en route to the NBA title. Boston and Philadelphia had tied for the best record in the East that year at 62-20, but Boston had the homecourt for Game 7. Boston star: Larry Bird.

• 1979: The Washington Bullets rallied to defeat the San Antonio Spurs in the Eastern Conference finals, before losing to the Seattle Supersonics in the NBA finals. Washington (54-28) had the homecourt advantage over San Antonio (48-34). Washington star: Elvin Hayes.

• 1970: The Los Angeles Lakers came back to defeat the Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference semifinals and then advanced to the NBA finals before losing to the New York Knicks. During the regular season, the Lakers (46-36) had a better record than Phoenix (39-43). Laker stars: Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor.

• 1968: The Boston Celtics rallied to defeat to the Philadelphia 76ers to win the Eastern Conference finals and then went on to win the NBA championship. The Celtics did this despite having to win Game 7 in Philadelphia. The 76ers (62-20) had a better record than Boston (54-28) during the regular season. Boston stars: Bill Russell and John Havlicek

Back
Top Bottom