Official Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from Community) Thread - Signs multiyear deal w/ Amazon and opts out of FX partnership

After listening this to for a couple days, I can conclude I didn't like it. I liked the songs "crawl" and the world star one, but that's where it stops. The corny punchlines combined with a story I didn't understand did this album in for me.

Cul-de-sac was Gambino trying to find his niche, beat-wise, flow, and content.

Camp he realized what he sort of artist he was and began integrating himself and his personal stories into his work, thus making it resonate with the audience way more. Everyone can identify with some aspect of Camp which is why it’s his staple. He was still struggling with finding his voice (the slightly annoying yelling at times) and his lyrics were becoming more deft and refined. Beat-wise he had reached another level and had some really interesting sounds.

Royalty was litmus test. There are people who like it all, like some, and hate it. Royalty showcased that he had honed his voice (no yelling unless the lyric was needed) and his bars are really shown off on this tape. It seemed as if it was a lyrical exercise, with the sacrifice of some of the personal stories that resonated with the audience a la Camp.

Post this album, I can only speculate that Gambino probably sat down and realized that audiences need to be able to connect with him through his music for it to be successful. He’d already done Camp and knows what works so why not do it again? Nah instead, why not create a story that resonates with people? No, why not make a psuedo-movie esque tale that reflects Gambino’s reality of being a celebrity?

The album Because the Internet is a sound track and a standalone album at the same time. Think about how hard and creative that is for a second. After you read the script you realize that every song that’s played in a scene isolates a single universal moment that everyone can relate to, a la Camp. Fusion, taking the winning formulas and lessons learned from every album/mixtape to put into this release.

He then went ahead and made references in all the PR interviews building up to the release, created tumblrs and twitters for every major character in the script, sent out props from the script to certain stores to go hand in hand with album purchases and viral gorilla campaign to go with the album. All of this has been made possible....drum roll..... BECAUSE THE INTERNET. It all fits together.

Because The Internet has originality, lyrics, story-telling, resonating honesty, and cool weebay.gif moments after reading the script. To my knowledge he’s the first to push what a musical concept is and the execution of that concept to a whole new level.

Even if you don’t like this album preference wise, I can’t take anyone seriously who doesn’t acknowledge and give respect to this album and Gambino.

:smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

Last edited:
^^^ That right there is that realness. The progression that this guy has shown from project to project is something to be respected.

The crazy thing is that I hate 30 Rock and that was one of the reasons why I didnt trust this guy initally. Then I saw him on Community which is hilarious.

Still forcing myself to like this album and I'm a Gambino fan. I prefer Gambino rapping, 3 verses and a chorus, not this sounds, rap, and more sounds.

I am sure I will appreciate it more when I take the time out and listen to it with the script.

Album is :pimp:

This is way better than his last album musically, he has really grown as an artist

I don't know if I agree that it's better than Camp. But then again, I've been so busy that I hatent had a chance to listen to the whole album in one sitting. I only made it halfway through the script. Planning on dedicating two hours or so this Sunday. :pimp:

This album grew on me. Love it. because the Internet > camp> royalty

Hard to say Bti is better than camp because they sound like two completely different albums.

This album is mesmerizing in its approach. 

One of the most ambitious, innovative, personal projects released in a long time. 

didn't like it after the first listen

listened with the script and it blew me away

listened again without the script and was still amazed

love his body of work

No problem. I haven't had a chance to sit down and read/listen through it but I'm looking forward to it very soon.

Back
Top Bottom