Official CAR AUDIO Thread FAQ added

Originally Posted by L0keY Jeenius

just bought this
R300-12.jpg

and now I have to get a new stereo, what do y'all recommend (mr monday night)
nerd.gif
 and It's a powered sub with amp already in it but I still think I'm going to try to save up for a separate amp eventually but I was just looking for lil more bass then what my stock was...I have a 2001 GMC Jimmy btw...but will the bass be decent with just a new stereo and the powered sub??? sorry for the horrible sentences. I haven't been asleep in 2 days
laugh.gif
mad.gif
 I am so %@%@##% tired

Depends on what you mean by decent. If were using MY definition of decent, then that powered sub will be far from decent...it all depends on what you're looking for.

I gotta clean up the car and find mount from a civic or bmw to fit the tweeter but here it is practically done. Gain set right, no distortion
pimp.gif
Mondaynight the $#!+

Im still thinking about�whether�to cop a double din or a ipad and velcro it above the headunit.�

Same thing except its bigger, more/better features and can tether with my phone but it doesnt look as clean as a double din would look.

iPadinCar.jpg

Originally Posted by Sco cuddie1

just bought this
R300-12.jpg

nerd.gif
 and It's a powered sub with amp already in it but I still think I'm going to try to save up for a separate amp eventually but I was just looking for lil more bass then what my stock was...I have a 2001 GMC Jimmy btw...but will the bass be decent with just a new stereo and the powered sub??? sorry for the horrible sentences. I haven't been asleep in 2 days
laugh.gif
mad.gif
 I am so %@%@##% tired

Depends on what you mean by decent. If were using MY definition of decent, then that powered sub will be far from decent...it all depends on what you're looking for.

I had a longer response but I think yuku messed up, but anyways, I think I'm just going to save up then and get another sub and then a separate amp. Also still need to get a stereo. What you think I should get? I want it to sound better then average and the deep bass to be smooth cuz I got so many bass heavy/dubstep !%%% I wanna play. any help is appreciated. good looks. nothing super expensive tho but I still want it to sound good ya kno.

just bought this
R300-12.jpg

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
mad.gif
 I am so %@%@##% tired

I had a longer response but I think yuku messed up, but anyways, I think I'm just going to save up then and get another sub and then a separate amp. Also still need to get a stereo. What you think I should get? I want it to sound better then average and the deep bass to be smooth cuz I got so many bass heavy/dubstep !%%% I wanna play. any help is appreciated. good looks. nothing super expensive tho.I just want it to sound good.
Look through the last couple pages

I've posted a couple setups with various budgets

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

just bought this
R300-12.jpg

nerd.gif
laugh.gif
mad.gif
 I am so %@%@##% tired

I had a longer response but I think yuku messed up, but anyways, I think I'm just going to save up then and get another sub and then a separate amp. Also still need to get a stereo. What you think I should get? I want it to sound better then average and the deep bass to be smooth cuz I got so many bass heavy/dubstep !%%% I wanna play. any help is appreciated. good looks. nothing super expensive tho.I just want it to sound good.
Look through the last couple pages

I've posted a couple setups with various budgets
my bad, I just realized somebody responded to my previous post
laugh.gif
, imma go through 'em tho, good looks.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

I gotta clean up the car and find mount from a civic or bmw to fit the tweeter but here it is practically done. Gain set right, no distortion
pimp.gif
Mondaynight the $#!+

Im still thinking about�whether�to cop a double din or a ipad and velcro it above the headunit.�

Same thing except its bigger, more/better features and can tether with my phone but it doesnt look as clean as a double din would look.

iPadinCar.jpg

Have a shop fiberglass the tweeters in the a pillars in the future.  You need to sound deaden the door too....i see a hole right next to the speaker.

Ipad isn't a simple install. You'll also need a processor to feed the audio to the amps.

btw, how u likin the speakers so far?

they sound real nice, very clean sound
pimp.gif
, but what hole?
nerd.gif
its prob dirt or something

but Im not trying to do something elaborate with the ipad, just plug it with a aux cable

I wouldn't do that. Just upgrade to a double din

This would be a good idea for the tweets

Do you buy tweeters and swap out tweeters regularly? Do you want a way to be able to easily mount tweeters on-axis and make them look nice? Do you want to mount tweeters up on your A-pillars to avoid as many diffracting surfaces as possible?

If you answered yes to any one of these questions, I have just the solution for you!! My friend Glenn (GLN305), has come up with a very inexpensive solution for tweeter mounting that allows for easy swapping out of tweeters, makes it easy to mount tweeters on-axis, provides a certain degree of adjustability, and makes the mounting look nice. Glenn was kind enough to install a pair of Scanspeak Illuminator 2004-6020 tweeters in the A-pillars of my Mazdaspeed 3 and so I took pictures so that I could share his very innovative design with others on the forum.

Parts: (1) 2 x PVC end caps (find ones that fit your tweeters, the ones in the picture are 1.5" diameter; some tweeters may need bigger end caps), (2) threaded pipes (in Home Depot these are called steel nipples. Yes, the jokes about nuts and nipples are endless) these are threaded and used in lamps to thread the power cord through), (3) hex nuts, a (4) a can of bed liner to create texture, and (5) optionally, a can of spray paint in a color that matches your car.

Next, sand down any imperfections on the end caps. Then drill a hole at the desired mounting angle where the base and the sides of the end cap meet. These have an approximate 45 degree angle for on-axis mounting.

Spray the end caps with two coats of bedliner. In this picture, Glenn stuck screwdrivers into the holes and then put a wire tie on either side to prevent the end cap from sliding off the end cap so that he could spray paint the end caps and then leave them out to dry. The bedliner provides texture to the end cap. After the bedliner, optionally, spray the caps with a color suited for your car. For example, you can use a can of touch-up paint to match the paint to your car's exterior paint.

Thread a threaded pipe into the drilled holes. They look like little ack ack guns. They appear grey in this picture due to the flash but they are in fact black, as you can see in other pictures. Use a grinder or pipe cutter to cut the length of the threaded pipes to slightly more than the thickness of your A-pillars.

Remove the A-pillars in your car, drill a hole in the A-pillars, and then fasten the tweeter pods to the A-pillars by pushing the threaded pipe through the A-pillar and tightening a hex nut on to the threaded pipe. Thread your speaker cable through the threaded pipe and connect to your tweeter. The picture shows that Glenn soldered and put heat shrink around it but you can also use quick connectors.

Note that the tweeters can be swiveled if you don't over-tighten the hex nuts.

Total cost was under $20 for both. Total time spent was less than 3 hours. We did it over 2 evenings because it was humid here in Austin and we had to wait for the bed liner to dry.

IMG_9159-vi.jpg

IMG_9157-vi.jpg

IMG_9160-vi.jpg

IMG_9161-vi.jpg

That look pretty clean. I like the one in the dash, but my dash is too small.

Im just going to mount them in the door

3774561582_a5e4684a74_o-vi.jpg

or

4683621319_9fcbda2d63_b.jpg

I just have to sound deaden the door first, huge difference from when I had my civic

I got all my speakers and wires. Now I have to get the deck. I'm going with PIONEER AVIC-Z120BT. As far as sound deadening I'm going to go with second skin because they have them in black instead of sliver. But I won't do that until it gets warmer.

Originally Posted by Miniojw

I got all my speakers and wires. Now I have to get the deck. I'm going with PIONEER AVIC-Z120BT. As far as sound deadening I'm going to go with second skin because they have them in black instead of sliver. But I won't do that until it gets warmer.

Get sds tiles

Better than ss since you only have to cover 25% as opposed to 100% with second skin stuff.

[table][tr][td]
file.php

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
file.php

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
file.php

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
file.php

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
file.php

DNX-9980HD DNX-7180 DNX6980 FAVORITE ALBUM.jpg [ 65.54 KiB | Viewed 219 times ]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
file.php
[/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Miniojw

Get sds tiles

Better than ss since you only have to cover 25% as opposed to 100% with second skin stuff.
how many tiles would you for lets say an escalade?

Doom, which company do you prefer more when it comes with to HUs? I'm leaning more towards pioneer.

Originally Posted by icysoles718

Doom, whats the optimal setup to get for my 07 TL. Price range about 1K.

Look through the last 20 pages. They're a bunch of setups posted with various budgets
Originally Posted by CWrite78

Doom, which company do you prefer more when it comes with to HUs? I'm leaning more towards pioneer.
I stick to 3 brands

alpine
pioneer
kenwood

All 3 make good stuff..just depends on what you need

Just need something good enough to play my iPhone. And when I get more money, upgrade the rest of the audio in my car (03 impala)

I don't like the Kenwood interface on the DD to much. I was playing with one in the shop and was a bit laggy.

I wouldn't do that. Just upgrade to a double din

This would be a good idea for the tweets

Do you buy tweeters and swap out tweeters regularly? Do you want a way to be able to easily mount tweeters on-axis and make them look nice? Do you want to mount tweeters up on your A-pillars to avoid as many diffracting surfaces as possible?

If you answered yes to any one of these questions, I have just the solution for you!! My friend Glenn (GLN305), has come up with a very inexpensive solution for tweeter mounting that allows for easy swapping out of tweeters, makes it easy to mount tweeters on-axis, provides a certain degree of adjustability, and makes the mounting look nice. Glenn was kind enough to install a pair of Scanspeak Illuminator 2004-6020 tweeters in the A-pillars of my Mazdaspeed 3 and so I took pictures so that I could share his very innovative design with others on the forum.

Parts: (1) 2 x PVC end caps (find ones that fit your tweeters, the ones in the picture are 1.5" diameter; some tweeters may need bigger end caps), (2) threaded pipes (in Home Depot these are called steel nipples. Yes, the jokes about nuts and nipples are endless) these are threaded and used in lamps to thread the power cord through), (3) hex nuts, a (4) a can of bed liner to create texture, and (5) optionally, a can of spray paint in a color that matches your car.

Next, sand down any imperfections on the end caps. Then drill a hole at the desired mounting angle where the base and the sides of the end cap meet. These have an approximate 45 degree angle for on-axis mounting.

Hey man I did this with my tweets about a year ago, it's 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Definitely like it. I'm trying to find a picture I have, but no luck so far.

I have some Blaupunkt VC100s in the PVC end caps running off a 50x4 Alpine F250 from an Alpine CDA7998 (The motorized face one from like 2002?)

Not my pics

2810534320092043600IRqjWB_ph.jpg

2065516120092043600INwFVK_ph.jpg

Back
Top Bottom