OFFICIAL: Air Trainer 1 Mid Premium aka "Chlorophylls"... paging Wallyhop....

What do you do for the suede?

In general? Treat them w a repellent before wearing. after wearing, i brush them w JM premium brush, then clean them.

With the Trainer 1, I always seem to scuff the medial side of one shoe. Never fails lol.

The Maxim Trainer 1 has similar black suede piece. those held up pretty well. hoping these do the same.

Still haven't heard a peep about a US release date. WTF????
I had these shoes back in the day and they are my all-time favorites. I missed the re-releases when they happened because I wasn't paying attention. NOT going to miss out this time!
I'd get them on-line if I could be certain of the size. Seems I take a 9 for some Nike shoes and a 9.5 in others. Does anyone know what Nike shoe best approximates this one in terms of size? I tried on a pair of Metcons the other day and they were NOTHING like the basketball shoes and running shoes I've had in the past-- super tight-- even in the bigger size. I just can't pull the trigger until I'm reasonably sure...

Still haven't heard a peep about a US release date. WTF????
I had these shoes back in the day and they are my all-time favorites. I missed the re-releases when they happened because I wasn't paying attention. NOT going to miss out this time!
I'd get them on-line if I could be certain of the size. Seems I take a 9 for some Nike shoes and a 9.5 in others. Does anyone know what Nike shoe best approximates this one in terms of size? I tried on a pair of Metcons the other day and they were NOTHING like the basketball shoes and running shoes I've had in the past-- super tight-- even in the bigger size. I just can't pull the trigger until I'm reasonably sure...
I was a size 10 in these. For reference I also wear a size 10 in spiridons, air max plus, and the new recraft air max 90s.

Watched half of that video. Semi accurate. I don't want to claim info is wrong or fake. Totally indifferent. Trying to play nice.

Hype these up to the point we can see them come back and it's all gravy. So I don't try to be totally hateful of extra info.

Watched half of that video. Semi accurate. I don't want to claim info is wrong or fake. Totally indifferent. Trying to play nice.

Hype these up to the point we can see them come back and it's all gravy. So I don't try to be totally hateful of extra info.
What was inaccurate about the review?

Well, for starters, that pic he used wasn't McEnroe... that's Mats Wilander. 😅
He then goes on to talk about how Mac requested 'special versions'... but that was pretty common for all the tennis pros back then. For grass courts, all the players were required to wear grass court soles... and same for clay. Also, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Mac 'retired' and then came back out of retirement. At the time, I think he only took a 6-month or so sabbatical, which to me, isn't really a retirement. Semantics, I know. Not gonna hold any of that against NightWing cuz he even states it himself that he doesn't know tennis.

As for the story of how Tinker came up with these, it was cuz Tinker went to the gym with several different pairs of shoes cuz he didn't know what type of exercise he wanted to do. Being a shoe designer, he knew it was important to wear the proper shoes for the different activities (like how you wouldn't play bball in running shoes). In fact, regular people weren't doing this.

Skimmed the clip last week. Didn't even notice they used the wrong pic. that's hilarious lol.

I think Mac was coming off some sort of injury coupled w/ the birth of a child.

He gives the shoe a pretty glowing review, which I wasn't anticipating. That was dope.

Rewatched. Sinner Sinner has the tennis knowledge down. I didn't know mcenroe was wearing prototypes a year or months before these releaaed. I thought he saw them and liked them and chose to wear them around the same time they released to the public . I didn't know there was a huge story. Good info.

Just some small technicalities. I thought it was Tinker himself who always had a gym bag packed with 3-4 different shoes and thought there had to be a better way. He would see folks wearing running shoes playing basketball etc.

Overall real solid review. How the color combo came about was in fact how he stated it. It was the color of the gym equipment at tinkers gym.

Rewatched. Sinner Sinner has the tennis knowledge down. I didn't know mcenroe was wearing prototypes a year or months before these releaaed. I thought he saw them and liked them and chose to wear them around the same time they released to the public . I didn't know there was a huge story. Good info.

Yep, Mac was wearing them 6-12 months in advance in '86 or so the story goes.

Can't remember where I read the part about the (ankle) injury. Think it may have been in print.

Good, quick read - https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-accessories/a35110/john-mcenroe-nike-air-trainer-1/

Can you tell me about how you discovered the Air Trainer 1 in 1986?

Mac: When I took time off after my first kid was born and was regrouping, we were looking around to try and figure out what the next step would be. I wanted to take the best advantage of what I needed. I was starting to get a bit older and could use some more of that support and cushion.

Last edited:
Yeah, Tinker has told that Mac story a few times over the years. I'm sure there are clip on YT.

Also, I think NightWing could have mentioned how different the materials were vs the OG and older retros... but I guess he wasn't really that into them to have known.

Just a heads up for any fellow Canadians looking to grab the Cross Trainer Lows

FSR Bright crimson CQ9182-105

A few sizes left & discounted...White astronomy blue CQ9182-102

Ha, that was quick. Thank you!

couldn't include all 30 yrs of history...but I crammed in all I could lol.

when they asked if I was interested in writing it, I knew who I had to bring in for the convo. Thank you wallyhopp wallyhopp
Great read, sir! Did I happen to grab those Huf joints for you back then? I don't remember, my bad.
B

Great read, sir! Did I happen to grab those Huf joints for you back then? I don't remember, my bad.
B

Thank you man.

Not sure re: Hufs. my memory is shot so, if you say you did, you prolly did lol. I've had them at least 2x for sure, maybe. 3.

These 2 pairs came in, decent enough for the price.

Is this the right thread for these?
20201229_150736.jpg

Catania Catania

Comfortable , or decent quality?
I have my eyes on some infared cross trainer lows. I didn't realize they did a infared non air cross trainer too.

That white blue reminds me of these air cross trainer high originals
1609384266894.jpeg

I still miss them. So plush and soft. I fear the retro would let me down too much.

Catania Catania

Comfortable , or decent quality?
I have my eyes on some infared cross trainer lows. I didn't realize they did a infared non air cross trainer too.

That white blue reminds me of these air cross trainer high originals
1609384266894.jpeg

I still miss them. So plush and soft. I fear the retro would let me down too much.
Comfortable-ish....being non-air there's only so much they can do but they're not bad at all. The leather (pleather?) quality isn't great but it's on par with the rest of the trainer low releases for this year.

I bought two pairs of the infrared colorway expecting bad QC and to return one, but they actually both look good.

They seem to be fairly wide in the toe box area so thats definitely a plus as I haven't had any pinky toe issues.

I'll wear them consistently for another few weeks and see how they are. Hoping they replace my beat up med balls as my new everyday, all purpose shoe.

IMG_20201208_151202_159.jpg

Were you looking at these infrared trainers?

PS those Air Cross Trainer Highs would be amazing if Nike put the type of effort into them as they did with the SB AT1 from this year

Back
Top Bottom