OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yet he's talking to them and may visit. Prob wasn't all about distance.

Also idk if you've ever been to penn state but that place is crazy. It's not a perfect fit for most.

Last edited:
1. BREAKING DOWN FIELDS AND CORRAL 

It’s late June and there are two recently decommitted five-star quarterback prospects available, which is not exactly a common occurrence in Rivals.com history. So the questions surrounding where Justin Fields and Matt Corral will end up are endless and the intrigue is great, especially since both are looking at some of the same schools. While no one knows where either will commit, here’s my best effort at a breakdown. 

The players for Fields include home-state school Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, Penn State (where he was committed before) and USC, to my knowledge. Assuming Penn State won’t happen, as re-commitments are highly unlikely in the recruiting world, many feel this will come down to Georgia, Florida and Florida State. 

Fields took recent visits to Georgia, Auburn and Florida State and is coming off a two-day visit to Florida. He has obviously seen Penn State and also took a visit to USC a few weeks back according to sources. 

Now, this is where things get interesting. Some sources tell me he’s a silent commitment to Georgia and has already told Kirby Smart he’s coming. Others feel that Florida State has taken the lead after Fields recently visited with Jimbo Fisher at camp, and still others think the Gators have the edge because he’s been there at least three times now and the opportunity to play right away is obvious. And still others think a return trip to Los Angeles, where he has some family, is in the works before a final decision is made. 

Where do I think he’ll end up? No clue. This is one of those situations where only those very close to Fields know what is going on and everyone seems to be hearing what they want to hear. My best guess is still Florida, but I seem to be in the minority there. 

After Corral's decommitment from USC, the Trojans are in the mix for other quarterbacks (see below), and Corral has been linked to Georgia (where he visited), Florida and Alabama - and keep an eye out for Nebraska. Georgia could be a real player, here, but obviously the in-state five-star Fields is a higher priority according to sources, while Florida is also all-in on Fields and Alabama is hoping Corral will come and throw for them, as is customary, before taking any commitment. 

Nebraska is the interesting one here, as Corral would be a huge get for the Calibraska movement. Nebraska has the kind of atmosphere on a visit, whether it’s during the season or even during the summer, where it’s not out of the question to see Corral commit. Other schools could be involved, but these are the ones I’ve heard the most about.

That Calibraska thing is going to be dead by mid October 
laugh.gif

Long Buckeye news, nothing major but it's the offseason so why not:

"Some big changes going on with the team---some due to new NCAA rules---some due to the new personnel...

First of all, the OSU camp will open as early as I can ever remember(late July) due to the rules regarding no "two a day" practices. The end result is that you will have one "mega practice" per day and guys will hate it as much as ever. Summer conditioning has also added a day(from two days a week to three days a week) so getting in shape should not be an issue.

The new coaches are getting rave reviews from the players. Kevin Wilson is such an interesting guy as he could never really be described as a "player's coach", yet he takes the time out of his day to talk to everyone from the managers and walk ons all the way up to the first team. Super approachable and well liked already. The other guy making a similar impact is Bill Davis. Has impressive NFL credentials, but doesn't lord them over people and make them feel stupid. Has really fit in well and is a listened to voice in the coaches' room.

With all this working out, some guys are making some huge changes to their bodies. Wyatt Davis has dropped significant weight--as in at least 20 pounds already and just has the look of a monster out there.

The 20 lbs that Davis has lost has found its way to the frame of Bin Victor, who is absolutely jacked---and is primed for a huge, break out season.

Josh Meyer has established himself as one of the top 5 "ALL TIME" strongest guys in the program. Doing things in the weight room that few that have come before him are capable of. Right up there with Billy Price(not quite there, but close) which gives you an idea of the rare air he is operating in.

JK Dobbins just does everything right. First one in the workout room in the morning--last one to leave. Devouring film like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Going to be not a good, but a GREAT running back at Ohio State.

Demario McCall is sliding right into the "Curtis Samuel" role. Taking meetings in both the wide receivers room as well as the running backs. Another guy who has added muscle to his frame while not losing a step.

KJ Hill is really starting to "own" the underneath and option routes---and that may very well be what gets him on the field this season. Has spent hours watching old tape of Anthony Gonzalez at Ohio State and is looking to have a similar impact. In the Wilson offense this is a guy that sees the ball a lot--and KJ has figured that out.

Matt Burrell has nudged himself up the depth chart to the point that I think he may actually be ahead of Knox in the rotation. The light has gone on for this big guy--and having other capable big men pushing him has spurred him to a totally different level of preparation and dedication.

Jerome Baker is looking at this as his "money season" and is likely gone after this one. Just had a baby(which is nothing I recommend for guys still in college) so he will need the money!

JT Barrett has changed his mechanics to a significant degree and the results should be readily apparent in the fall. Mainly dealt with his feet not his arm, but he is starting to look more and more like the super accurate passer he was as a freshman.

AJ Alexander hurt his leg playing basketball but hasn't been practicing with the team for a while. No longer has a locker. Read into it what you will.....

It's not really a new movement either.  For a fanbase that loves to reminisce over the good ole days, CA has always been a major recruiting territory for Nebraska during the modern era. 

People like to point to Nebraska leaving the Big XII as being part of their demise but the Osborne dynasty took place mostly in the Big 8 era (which had a ****tier recruiting footprint that the B1G West has now) and they were never a squad like OU that was built on primarily TX kids.

Those 90's teams recruited nationally which was supplemented by their legendary walk on program that was aided by an "advanced" S&C program, and an unusually large coaching staff that was in an age before on field coaching limits. 

Those teams from a schematic and a behind the scenes standpoint have always been really fascinating to me and I'm looking forward to that 95 Doc.  I'm worried a bit that it's basically going to be a puff piece but the Lawrence Philips Doc was done really well IMO, which has given me some hope. 

I hope they get guys like Switzer, tOBC, Snyder, Saban and Bill McCartney to participate. 

Last edited:
As the game became more modernized CFB passed Nebraska by. They were too slow to get with the times.

Parity hit em hard.

Them no longer being the biggest fish in a small pond hurt em too.

As the game became more modernized CFB passed Nebraska by. They were too slow to get with the times.

Parity hit em hard.

Them no longer being the biggest fish in a small pond hurt em too.
You don't think those schemes could still work today?  

There is this misconception that they were an option team like the service academies but in reality they were more like the Wisconsin, Stanford, and Michigans of the world today but with a much more rudimentary passing game and some option stuff sprinkled in.  The way Oz explained it was that their option game was basically like an extension of their passing game. 

Osborne retiring, and the walkon program getting neutered are the biggest factors IMO.

Last edited:

There is this misconception that they were an option team like the service academies but in reality they were more like the Wisconsin, Stanford, and Michigans of the world today but with a much more rudimentary passing game and some option stuff sprinkled in.  The way Oz explained it was that their option game was basically like an extension of their passing game. 

Osborne retiring, and the walkon program getting neutered are the biggest factors IMO.

Leaving the Big 12 and not recruiting Texas like they had in the past hurt as well IMO.

Losing the S&C advantage they had over most of the country hurt

(as well as not being able to have 100 players on their team :lol:)

Last edited:

Leaving the Big 12 and not recruiting Texas like they had in the past hurt as well IMO.
The decline started in the Big XII and like I pointed to earlier the majority of their success was within the Big 8 era. 

Would they be in a better situation today if they still had the access to TX recruits like during the Big XII era?  Maybe, but the Big XII is also a sinking ship and they were smart to jump off when they did.  

The OG Big XII was probably the best situation for them from a recruiting, competitive, and tradition standpoint but that was never really an option because of the politics at play. 

Last edited:
Speaking of, the Corral story:

Had multiple disciplinary issues at Oaks Christian, then beat up Wayne Gretzky's son over a girl.

Was told to keep things clean by SC then had a verbal confrontation with staff at a camp, a situation that never got physical but escalated so much it got out of the camp and back to SC. Clay Helton called him, told him he was in the wrong and that SC would start recruiting a 2nd QB - basically gave him the ultimatum to get his **** together. MC got upset, the convo spiralled, and he felt he couldn't stay committed if they were gonna take 2 QBs. CH, as he did with EJ and Noah, told MC that it was prob best if both sides severed ties. Corral has been upset and telling people in private that SC chose sides against him in something mundane and he was forced out. SC people are saying he has discipline issues and doesn't take instruction or criticism well and that his reaction to the discipline was worse than the initial incidents.

By the way, just because this is funny to me:

@StanFan  JT Daniels has been on USC's campus visiting coaches twice since last Friday 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom