Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Kanter is very good at the two things he does well. He can score on anyone in the paint and is a vacuum on the boards. Yeah he sucks at defense but he'll help you get a win from time to time. Plus he is a good teammate.

From the highlights I watched, Tristan played KP pretty good but it just wasn’t enough. If he develops the right way he should be able to get whatever he wants on anyone.

Kanter is very good at the two things he does well. He can score on anyone in the paint and is a vacuum on the boards. Yeah he sucks at defense but he'll help you get a win from time to time. Plus he is a good teammate.

I’m not sure why he’s so hated in here honestly lol. I feel like he’s perfect for an offensive spark. He’s just liable on the other end. I feel like if you pair him with the right big, then he should be ok.

I’m not sure why he’s so hated in here honestly lol. I feel like he’s perfect for an offensive spark. He’s just liable on the other end. I feel like if you pair him with the right big, then he should be ok.

Probably because his defense is bad enough that he's a serious net liability in the playoffs. But if your goal is just player development while running a functional offense he's totally fine. I think he's a pretty good fit with KP.

On a championship contending team Kanter is coming off the bench, on this team he's a starter. I'd like to see Willy playing more for development purposes but right now Kanters a better big man.

O quinn is trade bait, so is Jarrett and lance...

The only reason willy ain't getting no burn is because the front office is showcasing O'Quinn for trades ...

Can't believe Ron Baker has A NTC...

ThJr will have a up and down career. He'LL have 30 pt games 10 pt games 40 pt games and 8 pt games...lol

He's not to be trusted bUT when he's hot you gotta live with it...

KP looks like he's 30 games away from being unstoppable...

Kanter is the goods...

We been asking for sessions for 5 years and we get him once he's washed... lol

Frank has great D.... if he could watch some penny Hardaway tapes his footwork needs improvement on the offensive end just to create better opportunities

All I need is Timmy to watch some JJ Reddick and Klay footage this off season and learn how to get open off the ball. KP has the vision to find people but our movement looks like 1970s nba

If THJr’s shot is falling it seems like he’s more engaged in the other areas of the game.

His 8 assists were impressive. He was making everything he threw up & had the awareness to pass up a good shot for a great one.

My biggest surprise after 2 weeks is how much KP improved. I didn't expect this in his first season as the #1 option. Last season when Melo was out some games he looked lost and played like ****. Couldn't shoot over smaller guys, didn't know how to take advantage of the mismatch.

He definitely learned a lot from Melo. They play very similar in the post, but KP makes a bit quicker decisions. I could see why Phil wanted him to play more in the post now. His game is very similar to a young KG.

Steve Mills said in a news conference Sunday that he and general manager Scott Perry are "on the same page" with Jeff Hornacek amid speculation about Hornacek’s job security.

“There was speculation not on our part but by the outside world,” Mills said. “This summer when Jeff and I went to Jim Dolan with a plan on how we wanted to build this team and how we wanted the team to come together and bringing Scott in and tweaking that plan and the three of us deciding how we’re going to move forward, we just want to see progress. We want to win as many games as we can. We want the guys to play hard every night and the three of us are all on the same page as it relates to that and we want to just see the team move in a positive direction.”

Mills said he and Perry’s recent conversations with Hornacek have focused on “getting the team better and finding ways to reduce the turnovers and make sure we’re improving defensively, and that’s really what our goals are. Jeff, Scott and I talked a lot about it -- we didn’t focus on the record. Our focus is on how we’re improving over the course of the season. If we do all the things we’re supposed to do from a defensive standpoint and from reducing turnovers, wins will come from that. But we have to be consistent and diligent about it.”

Bipolar indeed.

Now you guys are sounding too hopeful.

I never got ****ting on the team 3 games in and specifically ****ting on a player you didn't even get to see.

Roster wise this team sucks but we got a growing star or two. Team is mostly gonna win games off defense.

KP first player to drop 30+ in 4 of first 5 games within his first 3 seasons in the league since Jordan in 86.

Shoulda drafted Justise Winslow :smh:

Also, I'm really liking Jarrett Jack. His play will likely slow down and get people in this thread mad eventually, but he's a great mentor to Frank and really has that Kidd/Prigioni circa 2013 vibe. If those guys were able to get the best out of Raymond ******* Felton, I'm sure Jack can do wonders helping Frank out.

Don't underestimate Jack's ability to step up as a leader and take pride from helping young players achieve their full potential. He is one of those players always mentioned as a likely future NBA coach, and he has helped many young PGs along the way (Curry, Kyrie) while always stepping up himself when needed to (Brooklyn).

I specifically recall Curry going out of his way to thank Jarrett Jack during his first MVP speech in 2015 although Jack only played one year in Golden State in 2012-2013. Always been a team guy throughout his career.

Get rid of Sessions bum ***.

Sidenote:
If Knicks were smart they would look at the Nuggets as a potential trade partner. We both have logjams and Willy's brother plays on Denver. Trey Lyles is a player I always loved and still believe in and he is now on his 2nd NBA team getting no PT. I'm sure he is far from untouchable and his versatility would add something different to this team's frontcourt as opposed to Willy who is basically just a poor man's Kanter (and just a worse prospect than Lyles head to head IMO).

Faried is another player who is currently on the block who I think could be really good for us. His contract makes a deal a little more difficult considering that most of our frontcourt (outside of Kanter and Noah) are on pretty team friendly deals (KOQ, Willy). But I definitely wouldnt mind having a mad dog like him coming off the bench to counter the offensive games of Kanter and KP. I wanted the Knicks to draft Faried over Shump in 2011 and have always felt that he has a game that NYers would fall in love with. The game has kind of swayed away from big men with his style of play since then, but I definitely think that his high energy, hustling, defensive, grab every board in sight style of play would be a great fit off the bench for us. And he could probably be had for really cheap right now if we can make the salary work, **** if we included Willy in a trade for Denver to get Faried off their books I bet we can score a draft pick out of it even.

I've said it for a while, Willy is a very nice player and prospect, but Knicks fans have always overvalued him. He had a decent season and made first team all rookie but it was also one of the weakest rookie classes in recent memory and most of his big numbers came in garbage time of the season. Sort of like Mardy Collins when he was a rookie (not saying Willy sucks like Mardy did but Knicks fans overhyped Mardy for putting up big numbers at the end of a lost season).

The Melo trade made Willy expendable. I know we all love Willy and he's boys with KP and we can try to deny it all we want but Willy is essentially just a poor man's Kanter. It is what it is. Kanter has been in the league longer, played on competitive playoff teams, was the higher draft pick, and is just the better overall player despite being around the same age.

People will probably disagree with me but there's no point in keeping Willy around to ride the bench while he has significant trade value. And that's not on Hornacek, it's on the front office. One of the major gripes I had about the Melo trade because I knew this was gonna happen. But I highly doubt the Knicks look to deal Willy now because they arent forward thinking, and I bet they will come to regret that decision in a year or 2.

I completely disagree.

Willy imo is much more valuable than Kanter. They both can rebound and score in the post, but Kanter has lots of "black hole" type moments where he doesnt even look to pass. They both dont play defense so thats a wash.

If Willy got 30+ min a night he'd have the same exact impact and put up very similar numbers. Plus on that type of contract you dont move him.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom