Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

What team has won a championship using the tanking strategy?
Easy answer
The San Antonio Spurs....not just one chip either lol...if we're referring to purposely tanking one year. David Robinson was out that year and they were losing games on purpose, beating out the Celtics for the Tim Duncan lottery.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was referring too. And San Antonio was the only team that came to mind. I remember that year.

Easy answer
The San Antonio Spurs....not just one chip either lol...if we're referring to purposely tanking one year. David Robinson was out that year and they were losing games on purpose, beating out the Celtics for the Tim Duncan lottery.

:nerd: I forgot about SanAn it was so long ago :lol: I remember Robinson going out but I prolly had no concept of tanking at that point but that was def the most effective one ever. Spurs ain't smelled anything higher than #20 since :rofl:

We managed to get the best player in the draft with the 8th pick last year so I’m sure we’ll strike gold again with the 9th :wink:

Yea Trae's stock will shoot up even more after workouts.

Wish we could somehow finesse the Kings into thinking they can make the playoffs by giving them THJ, Lee, and our pick for the 2nd overall pick.

Trae won't be there when we pick, the only frustrating thing will be if he's picked right before us.

Being a scout is tough, damn lol. With all this talk, Michael porter Jr can still possibly fall to us, only cause he barely played in college cause of the injury. He was a top 3 prospect. I don't think his injury will be a concern, could be the biggest steal of the draft if he falls past 7.

edit - & younger than both Bridges, creates own offense

^ not really... mikal or sexton are our pick realistically.. but if trae is in our spot you cant pass him up.... and i highly doubt he will slip to 9 and if anything he will be picked up at 8th... either way we should get a decent pick... after the top 3 picks all the guys are pretty much even... we can pick up a good guy look at mitchell, kobe and klay who slipped after 9... i just hope we dont pick up a project like last years pick

This is kind of a weak draft, but there are 9 players I can see helping the Knicks, so I guess I'm glad we didn't fall further back. I'll be happy with either of the Bridges. Not sure which one I like more tho. Mikal is obviously more polished, and can already shoot and defend at a high level, but Miles has more athletic upside and I like how he plays w/ an edge. Would lean towards Miles just bc of personality/style, even though Miles does have some bust potential.

The only pick of the top 10-11 guys that would upset me would be Wendell Carter. He just doesnt seem to have a nba game or athleticism and would have no place next to KP. I also don't think much of the 2 kids from Kentucky (Shai or Knox).
Pretty much my exact sentiments. I'd be content with any player projected to go in the top 10 outside of WCJ. Don't understand when people will realize that we don't need another big man next to KP. I get it that he has the ability to stretch the floor and block shots, but he still plays predominantly in the post and he is way too slow to guard out to the perimeter. Matter of fact, he is pretty wack overall on defense besides the occasional ability to block/altert shots, which KP already does better than anybody in the League right now. A combo forward like Miles Bridges who can attack the boards would probably be much more effective.

As for the tank/not tank argument, what are we even talking about? It's more beneficial to pick higher and have a better selection of players to choose from than it is to pick lower, very simple. :lol:

How is anyone in here going to say "10, 8, 6" doesn't matter unless it's #1 knowing anything about Knicks history? This **** isn't a race or a tournament. #1 isn't the only place to draft an elite prospect. Every pick can count. If you have a higher draft selection you have better players to choose from and even if the player you wanted all along is available when ever you pick, he would still be available if you picked higher. There is no downside.

1 pick was the difference between Steph Curry and Jordan ******* Hill in 09. In 08 we missed out on Westbrook by 2 picks. If we would have tanked harder in 03 and winded up with a pick higher than 9, we could have drafted rookie Melo or DWade. CP3/Deron didn't go #1 in 05, but we still could have gotten one with a bit more tanking effort instead of having to settle for Channing Frye.

You could look through examples from basically every top 10 pick in Knicks history during the lottery era (outside of KP at the moment) and find an example of how tanking would have helped this team out. And it's not even like I'm reaching either. Every single one of the players I just mentioned the Knicks would have taken if they were available for their pick, but weren't due to a couple of wins. **** the Kings had 2 less wins than we did and are about to draft Luka ******* Doncic.

How is anybody gonna legitimately say that it isn't more beneficial top lose meaningless games than win them? I'm not even talking about tanking the season vs. not tanking the season. That's a different argument for a different day. But it seems like yall are talking about these meaningless end of season games that people are pissed we win. We didn't get the #9 pick because some fans wanted to tank, we got the #9 pick because we didn't successfully tank. Sacramento was one of the team in our sights with a few of those stupid wins being losses and now they got lucky in the lotto and have the #2 overall pick. And even if they didn't get lucky they would still have a better pool of available talent to choose from than we do.

It will always be more beneficial to lose meaningless games at the end of the season to improve your draft position / lottery odds than win them. Sure, it's always possible to find a gem with good scouting later in the draft assuming the right player slips through the cracks like last season with Mitchell, but there isn't always a Donovan Mitchell who slips through the cracks and it isn't always easy to identify him even if there is a player like that. At the end of the day, you gotta trust your scouting department, but you want them to have the most available options to choose from. And even 1 or 2 meaningless wins could significantly decrease the talent pool to choose from.

the gr8est the gr8est Basically what I said, just less wordy. For every draft example you gave of who the Knicks missed out on by one pick there's prolly 2 players in the same draft who went lower than our pick. It's still a crap shoot to an extent an unless we were in a position to draft a truly special player in top 3 it ain't enough for me to openly don't for losses :lol: as you alluded, this draft class isn't much different 3-10

the gr8est the gr8est Basically what I said, just less wordy. For every draft example you gave of who the Knicks missed out on by one pick there's prolly 2 players in the same draft who went lower than our pick. It's still a crap shoot to an extent an unless we were in a position to draft a truly special player in top 3 it ain't enough for me to openly don't for losses :lol: as you alluded, this draft class isn't much different 3-10
:lol: Yeah u know me, always writing alot more than I planned to. But I feel what you're saying. The draft is definitely a crapshoot. Even the Warriors basically built their dynasty making savvy picks without tanking. Curry went 7, Klay went 11, and Dray was a 2nd round pick.

Having a smart scouting department to rely on is always the most important thing, gems can be found later in the draft and there is always the potential to draft a bust with a high pick. David Kahn consistently ****** up the T'Wolves high draft picks from 2009-2011 and the Nuggets failed to see what the Jazz did in Mitchell.

The entire 2011 draft is actually a great example of just that. The entire top 8 were basically busts outside of Kyrie with the 1st pick, while Klay, Kawhi, Kemba, Jimmy butler, Isaiah, and others were all picked later on.

But at the end of the day, I'm sure if you looked up each draft spot over the last 20 years, you would find a positive correlation between each draft spot and success of players picked in that spot. Having more options to choose from is never a bad thing, and then there are examples like this season where just a couple of extra wins cost valuable lottery spots that could get you a top 3 pick.

Just realized that the Bulls finished with the same record as the Kings. Thank ******* God it was the Kings who moved up to #2. If the ******* Bulls moved up to #2 in the lottery I would have ******* rioted. :rofl:

Please no to MPJ. He’s not a good shooter, has a low IQ, and definitely cannot create his own shot. Add all that into a lingering career injury, no thanks. He’ll end up being another tweener forward who thinks he’s actually better than what he is.

And yes we do need a athletic big next to KP. If he can stretch the floor even better. KP is an atrocious rebounder. Like literally terrible, I’m not tryna get abused on the boards every night.

1. Bamba
2. Trae
3. Miles
4. Mikal

That should be our big board.

Please no to MPJ. He’s not a good shooter, has a low IQ, and definitely cannot create his own shot. Add all that into a lingering career injury, no thanks. He’ll end up being another tweener forward who thinks he’s actually better than what he is.

And yes we do need a athletic big next to KP. If he can stretch the floor even better. KP is an atrocious rebounder. Like literally terrible, I’m not tryna get abused on the boards every night.

1. Bamba
2. Trae
3. Miles
4. Mikal

That should be our big board.
I don't agree with KP being a terrible rebounder. If you watch the games you see him allow at least 3-4 easy boards a game go to Kanter. And he's still consistently averaged around 7 boards a game despite having a perimeter oriented offensive game, and having to get drawn out to the perimeter more often on defense due to him playing the 4 spot and allowing the center to grab alot of defensive boards.

I agree that rebounding isn't the strongest aspect of his game, he is a much better rim protector than rebounder so it would be beneficial to draft a strong rebounding forward to compliment him like Bridges (or Bamba, but I highly doubt hes available outside the top 5, let alone 9), but I bet you he'd still average around 10 boards a game as the lone big man in the starting lineup.

Back
Top Bottom