Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

OKC get: Courtney Lee
NYK get: Patterson & Bostons 2018 2nd round pick?

GSW get: KOQ, Jack
NYK get: Nick Young, McCaw or Jordan Bell or just 1 out the three and add 2019 second round draft pick from Dallas ?

Whats the best you think we can get for a package of KOQ + Kanter & Jack ?

Last edited:
got more minutes then Jack for only the 2nd time this season
No ******* way that is a real stat :smh:
Which is why I could never stand the people that tried to give you the "Well Phil drafted Porzingis so give him credit for that"

Like, NAH

Not a hard choice to take the best player available
Easy to say that now, but if you remember the atmosphere in NYC and in threads like this at the time, NOBODY wanted Porzingis. It was all about Okafor or Winslow or Mudiay but nobody wanted anything to do with KP. Dudes were writing him off as a bust in here before he even played SL. 10x worse than the people bashing on Frank.

Sure, consensus was he was BPA among scouts and knowledgeable draft heads (I was practically begging for the Knicks to take him and that could be verified in this thread), but Phil still put his *** out on the line to make that pick because it certainly wasn't popular, and he knew it wasn't gonna be popular after leading the Knicks to their worst ever season in a massive tank job his first season only to wind up with the foreigner nobody knew or wanted.

The way I look at it, if KP didn't work out we sure as **** would hate Phil Jackson for it and put him on blast for being a big enough schmuck to draft the soft Euro with the 4th pick. It was the kind of pick that gets you fired if it goes wrong. So if that side of the equation is true and yall know that's true, then I can't not give Phil or Clarence Gaines Jr. or whoever the **** was most responsible for making the pick credit for it working out.

Looks all the better now also with the tumultuous starts for basically every player most fans wanted more than KP besides Towns. You'd have to go all the way down to DBook and Myles Turner to find other players from that draft class really performing beyond expectations, and they were on nobody's radar at 4.

But yeah **** Phil Jackson. Making that pick and not trading away other first round picks are legit the only things I'll give him any sort of credit for (Frank TBD although I like gambling on his upside). :lol:

Seen the jersey in footlocker yesterday... they are too dope... it's got 3m on the trim like the firefighters...

Will pick one up soon..

Let's not forget F Phil wanted to trade KP as well :lol: im not convinced the KP pick was his idea and F him if it was :rofl:

Forget what the fans want or wanted. We only have our intuition and some game tape. These guys have the resources and scouting to know who can and most likely won't succeed in the league. Ofcourse there're other factors and intangibles, but 99.99% of the time the fans don't have access to college practices, analytics, physicals, etc etc.

Phil is just a stubborn scrub who isn't good at anything but maybe coaching.

Forget what the fans want or wanted. We only have our intuition and some game tape. These guys have the resources and scouting to know who can and most likely won't succeed in the league. Ofcourse there're other factors and intangibles, but 99.99% of the time the fans don't have access to college practices, analytics, physicals, etc etc.

Phil is just a stubborn scrub who isn't good at anything but maybe coaching.
Lol y'all are stubborn as ****. I hate Phil too but he deserves credit where it's due. Maybe it's not even him, by many accounts it was 99% Clarence Gaines Jr. and the 1% Phil was responsible for was pulling the trigger. Regardless, SOMEBODY in that front office deserves credit for nailing the KP pick because it was FAR from the "sure thing" pick yall are making it out to be.

I mean, you're acting like just because scouts have "resources" that fans don't, they never **** up picks. ****** up picks happen all the time. Scouting players isn't everything and very often scouts make bad evaluations that **** up a franchise.

Drafting KP at 4 wasn't anything close to what it would be like if he had the 1st pick, for instance, and drafted Towns. Then I would agree with the point yall are making. But to not give Phil, or at least somebody within his front office at the time, ANY credit for drafting Porzingis is crazy.

If yall remember back to that season instead of acting like KP was this hyped up "cant miss" prospect in retrospect, most scouts actually considered the 2015 draft a "4 man draft" for most of the season, between KAT, Jah, DLo (who came up late in the game), and Mudiay (was projected #1 in most preseason mocks). Most mocks leading up to the draft actually had the Knicks selecting Mudiay, plus Justise Winslow was a late riser after helping lead Duke to the title and earning James Harden comparisons (which were ridiculous). Sure, some experts had KP pegged at 4, but it was far from a lock selection where any GM makes that pick.

So Phil also deserves SOME credit for putting himself on the line by drafting a relatively unknown "project" who him and his team considered the BPA, despite overwhelming scrutiny from the fans/media, because he sure as **** would receive the blame if it didn't work out.

You're just a hater if you can't acknowledge that. I hate Phil as well, but I hate him because he was an arrogant **** who cared more about bringing back the triangle and collecting paychecks than winning. I am not a "hater" though in the sense that it reaches a point of ignorance and I can't give him credit for anything.

I also acknowledge that despite everything, he wasn't nearly as bad as Layden/Isiah, simply for the fact that unlike them, he actually didn't trade our first round picks and gave us a chance at developing a future with high draft picks like KP/Frank, instead of mortgaging our future over and over again for players that were never gonna help us win like Layden and Isiah. The one year Phil didn't have a first round pick to capitalize on was because it was traded before he got there for Bargs.

Sure he ****** up our future by doing dumb *** **** like signing Noah to a ridiculous contract, but there's a very low bar here as far as Knicks' GMs go this century. At least Noah didn't cost us 2 unprotected lottery picks. :lol::smh:

IMO anyone who thinks Phil was a worse GM than Layden or Isiah is either suffering from SERIOUS recency bias and/or didn't experience those years first hand. Because those years were bad and there were no young players or draft picks to look forward to either. Watching some of those Knicks teams with no future and an offense run through fat ******* **** Eddy Curry, who cost us 2 ******* lotto picks which became Aldridge and Noah, being a fat *** black hole in the paint was borderline torture.

The real OGs will remember my Eddy Curry rants back in the day. Still my least favorite Knick ever by a mile. :rofl:

I wouldn't wish suffering through the Larry Brown season - where we had the 2nd worst record in the NBA, no draft pick, no cornerstone young players, and a coach who quit on the team in a manner I have never seen from a coach before while publicly feuding and mentally ******* up our franchise player at the time permanently - on my worst enemy. Easily the worst season I've ever experienced as a Knicks fan and amidst all the bull **** over the years, there really isn't a close 2nd.

Last edited:
I can acknowledge Phil hit with KP. That’s literally the only bright spot of his tenure. At the end of the day be it Isiah, Scott, or Phil we’re still trash. Only difference is I’m actually tired now. :lol:

For reference my favorite moment of the past decade was the MLK day game against the Hornets in ‘02. :nthat: Up to that point our worst home loss ever. I don’t think I’ve ever been that angry about anything since. :lol:

F Phil Jackson only thing I'm giving him credit for is his token back to LA. I'm glad he got fired. I realize my hate is irrational as LeBron hate but eff it I'm traumatized. Grew to hate him as coach of the bulls and tried to stifle it during his tenure with the Knicks but I'm letting it flow now. If his name never got mentioned in this thread again I wouldn't be mad :rofl:

F Phil Jackson only thing I'm giving him credit for is his token back to LA. I'm glad he got fired. I realize my hate is irrational as LeBron hate but eff it I'm traumatized. Grew to hate him as coach of the bulls and tried to stifle it during his tenure with the Knicks but I'm letting it flow now. If his name never got mentioned in this thread again I wouldn't be mad :rofl:
Irrational Lebron hate :pimp:

At least you're self aware and can acknowledge it, I'm the same way with Lebron. I've also despised Phil his entire career as well. :lol:

Na I'm not giving Phil credit for KP. I honestly can't think of one good move Phil did do. That wasn't his pick. Frank 1000% was though
So he gets no credit for the home run but 100% accountability for the up in the air prospect? (shrugs) If you're gonna be that irrational with the hate, just admit it. :lol:

the gr8est the gr8est no hate tbh. I just don't think it was his pick. It's widely known Clearance did all the scouting and heavily persuaded Phil. Phil just listened to one of his minions.

Back
Top Bottom