Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
500k is shockingly low for Manny. I was expecting low numbers for his first fight back against some one who i think everyone knew would stand there and get hit....in China....poorly promoted....but i was thinking 800k ish

Honestly who is next for manny?

I really hope cotto fights martinez....im a big sergio fan and i really only think he has 1 good fight left in him....and i think he should fight cotto and retire...regardless of the outcome....but man that would be a good fight

just found out Glen Tapia vs Kirland is under the Rigondeaux card. :pimp:. I know, I know I'm late.
I like Tapia, but is too early for such a test? :nerd:

Last edited:
I thought y'all knew that already, Filipino fans (for the most part) don't really care about boxing or know much about boxing outside of Manny. People were calling it during his heyday that as soon as he lost or got KO'ed, the fans would disperse and not care anymore. Part of the reason why you see most of them only pop up and **** talk when Manny wins. It's the same fan base that rooted more for Bobby Pacquiao than Nonito when he was on top :lol:

I'm sure Dako could give us better perspective of that though.

just found out Glen Tapia vs Kirland is under the Rigondeaux card. :pimp:. I know, I know I'm late.
I like Tapia, but is too early for such a test? :nerd:

You know that's my peeps so we're expecting a huge performance from Tap ... he's focused and ready for this early test, that's all he's been talking about for the past couple of months.

If I can find a way to get out of my previous commitment, I'll be heading down to AC with the homies to catch it live :pimp:

I thought y'all knew that already, Filipino fans (for the most part) don't really care about boxing or know much about boxing outside of Manny. People were calling it during his heyday that as soon as he lost or got KO'ed, the fans would disperse and not care anymore. Part of the reason why you see most of them only pop up and **** talk when Manny wins. It's the same fan base that rooted more for Bobby Pacquiao than Nonito when he was on top :lol:

Filipino-Americans don't know a great deal of boxing outside Manny. Boxing is the #2 sport behind basketball in the Philippines. I can't say for sure that he is now but I know Bobby was more popular than Nonito a few years ago because Rachel Donaire came off as an attention *****. Nonito's popularity has been on the uptick over the last couple of years, not because Filipinos actually like him but because he has Filipino blood in him. That seems to be a thing with the country and trying to link themselves to flavor of the month athletes. When the Giants won the World Series in 2010 news outlets in the Philippines raved about Tim Lincecum being part Filipino even though I've never heard Lincecum brag about being one :rolleyes

lmaoooo I knew I wasn't the only one that saw that from a mile away, even before the actual rios fight

Filipino-Americans don't know a great deal of boxing outside Manny. Boxing is the #2 sport behind basketball in the Philippines. I can't say for sure that he is now but I know Bobby was more popular than Nonito a few years ago because Rachel Donaire came off as an attention *****. Nonito's popularity has been on the uptick over the last couple of years, not because Filipinos actually like him but because he has Filipino blood in him. That seems to be a thing with the country and trying to link themselves to flavor of the month athletes. When the Giants won the World Series in 2010 news outlets in the Philippines raved about Tim Lincecum being part Filipino even though I've never heard Lincecum brag about being one :rolleyes

I didn't know she weighed that heavily on their opinions of him :lol:

Def appreciate the perspective though :pimp:

I will be in AC to watch Rigo God put on another spectacular performance. The HBO card is pretty solid compare to the Showtime card. The only fight I am really interested is Lara-Trout. Great weekend of boxing!

View media item 681325

Last edited:
If Khan would have beat Alexander than the fight would have been a little more justifiable. Although I do not think Khan deserves a shot I am a little bit intrigued by the fight, not enough to pay for it though. With the network/promotional companies war who is a better option? Financially and competiveness wise?

Khan is the better option financially. Much bigger following, more well known.

BoxingInsider is saying Top Rank will leave HBO to pursue the Manny/Floyd fight?

Im headed there also in a couple hours lots of undercard fights. I think showtime gonna beat the hbo ratings tonight.

War Paulie
Porter unlikely but I'm rooting for the kid
Lara
Dirrell maybe

The crowd booed so loud the entire Lara fight.

Rosie Perez got a louder ovation than the actual fight

I'm still praying for my dream fight Erislandy Lara vs Floyd Mayweather. It will be a staring contest, but I don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom