Official 2011 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (86-76) 2nd Place in NL West

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Zito, sore from accident, should start Sunday[/h1]

Henry Schulman, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle March 31, 2011 04:00 AM Copyright San Francisco Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod

04/01/11

Barry Zito's neck and back remained sore a day after his Bentley was broadsided on the passenger side by a red-light runner in nearby West Hollywood on Wednesday night, but manager Bruce Bochy said Zito is confident he can make his scheduled start here Sunday.

Bochy also said he would let Zito pitch without the between-starts bullpen session he was supposed to throw Thursday.

Zito wore a neck brace as he came to Dodger Stadium earlier in the day. He was gone by the time reporters were allowed into the clubhouse and expected to go home to rest after undergoing a precautionary MRI exam. Zito had an X-ray at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles shortly after the accident.

"He was pretty shaken," Bochy said. "I talked to him last night. It was really upsetting what happened. It took him by surprise. It happened so fast. Today he feels better about what happened."

Club spokesman Jim Moorehead said he understands Zito's car was hit on the passenger side toward the rear.

Bochy and general manager Brian Sabean huddled about options for Sunday if Zito cannot pitch. Bochy said it is "doubtful" Madison Bumgarner would throw on three days' rest, unless he goes a few innings as part of a Johnny Wholestaff game. If Zito goes on the disabled list, the Giants could retrieve just-demoted Ryan Vogelsong from Fresno.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Giants sign Sanchez to extension for 2012[/h3]
The defending World Series champions have re-upped with their second baseman.

Freddy Sanchez has agreed to a one-year, $6 million contract extension for 2012, ESPN.com reported on Friday. Sanchez, originally acquired in a trade with Pittsburgh in July 2009, signed a two-year, $12 million deal with the Giants as a free agent in December 2009.

The Giants have not commented on or confirmed the report.

Sanchez, 33, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder in December, the second procedure on his non-throwing shoulder in a year's time. He hit .292 with seven home runs and 47 RBIs in 111 games last season, and hit .270 in the playoffs, including a .360 mark in the National League Championship Series.

Sanchez won the NL batting title in 2006, hitting .344 with the Pirates.

Hope it was first game jitters and not a sign of what we can expect.

Pablo losing weight will help Burrell a bit....I don't know if I'm on record or not but I'm not a fan of signing Miggy. I hope to eat my words.

Props to beaning Uribe. You're a Dodger now

Pablo losing weight will help Burrell a bit....I don't know if I'm on record or not but I'm not a fan of signing Miggy. I hope to eat my words.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Who was the driver of the car that hit Zito? Jeff Suppan?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Great game. 

Bats on both sides were nowhere to be seen, but I think that'll be the mantra for both sides this season.

Kershaw and Lincecum lived up to the billing.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Who was the driver of the car that hit Zito? Jeff Suppan?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Great game. 

Bats on both sides were nowhere to be seen, but I think that'll be the mantra for both sides this season.

Kershaw and Lincecum lived up to the billing.

great opening day pitching duel
kershaw still throws too many pitches IMO kuo got started with 8 straight balls even though 2 were swung at but yea lincecum got no help
n wut about matt "K"emp getting 3 walks

great opening day pitching duel
kershaw still throws too many pitches IMO kuo got started with 8 straight balls even though 2 were swung at but yea lincecum got no help
n wut about matt "K"emp getting 3 walks

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I too hope that Miggy does well this season...

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

I do too. But he doesn't have the same pop in his bat like he had years ago, and I don't want to see anymore ugly errant throws like he had last night.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

I do too. But he doesn't have the same pop in his bat like he had years ago, and I don't want to see anymore ugly errant throws like he had last night.

I don't expect a lot of pop out of Tejada's bat.

Down the line I see him batting 8th in the order with a .280 avg and good defense, granted he's lost a step.

I don't expect a lot of pop out of Tejada's bat.

Down the line I see him batting 8th in the order with a .280 avg and good defense, granted he's lost a step.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Dodger fans attack, critically injure Giants fan[/h1]
Associated Press April 1, 2011 08:27 AM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod

Friday, April 1, 2011

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/04/01/state/n082757D85.DTL#ixzz1IIMHSfnf

(04-01) 08:27 PDT Los Angeles, CA (AP) --

Los Angeles police are looking for two men who beat and critically injured a San Francisco Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the opening day game.

Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg said Friday that two men in Dodgers clothing followed three men in Giants gear as they walked to their car after Thursday night's 2-1 Dodger victory.

Rosenberg says the attackers yelled slurs against the Giants and began kicking and punching the men.

One victim suffered a head injury and was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Rosenberg said his injury is not life-threatening.

Investigators have no suspects' identities and are asking anyone with information on the attack to call police.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Dodger fans attack, critically injure Giants fan[/h1]
Associated Press April 1, 2011 08:27 AM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Prod

Friday, April 1, 2011

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/04/01/state/n082757D85.DTL#ixzz1IIMHSfnf

(04-01) 08:27 PDT Los Angeles, CA (AP) --

Los Angeles police are looking for two men who beat and critically injured a San Francisco Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the opening day game.

Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg said Friday that two men in Dodgers clothing followed three men in Giants gear as they walked to their car after Thursday night's 2-1 Dodger victory.

Rosenberg says the attackers yelled slurs against the Giants and began kicking and punching the men.

One victim suffered a head injury and was hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Rosenberg said his injury is not life-threatening.

Investigators have no suspects' identities and are asking anyone with information on the attack to call police.

Back
Top Bottom