Official 2011 NFL Draft Thead Vol. Lions winning.... Niners losing...

NICK FLAIR WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nick Fairley has entered the NFL draft 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
Nick Flair...that's a good one.
laugh.gif
Gunna better start trademarking this !+%*....

As long as Cam Newton doesn't go to a division rival, I'm getting a jersey. It's amazing (reading comments on other MBs and on ESPN) the amount of hate the kid gets. Folks basing their opinion of him off of the Nat'l championship game where he was playing hurt...
30t6p3b.gif
It's like they don't even look at the whole body of work this kid put in during SEC play etc....ESPN had a stat that showed how much he improved on his deep throws in his last 6 games. He had something like a 30% improvement...I love the upside and I'm in the camp that believes that he'll turn out to be a real good NFL player.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As long as Cam Newton doesn't go to a division rival, I'm getting a jersey. It's amazing (reading comments on other MBs and on ESPN) the amount of hate the kid gets. Folks basing their opinion of him off of the Nat'l championship game where he was playing hurt...
30t6p3b.gif
It's like they don't even look at the whole body of work this kid put in during SEC play etc....ESPN had a stat that showed how much he improved on his deep throws in his last 6 games. He had something like a 30% improvement...I love the upside and I'm in the camp that believes that he'll turn out to be a real good NFL player.

If somehow Jake Locker slips to 15.... i wouldnt be mad at all....

i read some mocks that have Gabbert there... makes me kinda nervous.

If somehow Jake Locker slips to 15.... i wouldnt be mad at all....

i read some mocks that have Gabbert there... makes me kinda nervous.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

I agree about his upside it might be the best of an QB in the class (with Locker).

But if I were a GM I'd never draft a QB from a spread option type offense (add in the up tempo system). The learning curve is so huge. He sees so many vanilla defenses. And a lot of cover 1 stuff because of that extra safety coming up in run support. He also gets spied a good amount taking another guy out of coverage and a lot of fire blitzes. The system dictates coverages and looks he gets are nothing like he'll get in the NFL. And the Auburn offense has 10 base plays. He has to make huge leaps in progression reading and reading a defense. Also needs a lot of mechanical work. Those are very massive questions to be answered (not the mechanical work), that I wouldn't be willing to risk a 1st round pick on. The physical tools and upside will get him drafted in round 1, but I just couldn't take that risk. He's a great college player but that doesn't always translate to the NFL.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

I agree about his upside it might be the best of an QB in the class (with Locker).

But if I were a GM I'd never draft a QB from a spread option type offense (add in the up tempo system). The learning curve is so huge. He sees so many vanilla defenses. And a lot of cover 1 stuff because of that extra safety coming up in run support. He also gets spied a good amount taking another guy out of coverage and a lot of fire blitzes. The system dictates coverages and looks he gets are nothing like he'll get in the NFL. And the Auburn offense has 10 base plays. He has to make huge leaps in progression reading and reading a defense. Also needs a lot of mechanical work. Those are very massive questions to be answered (not the mechanical work), that I wouldn't be willing to risk a 1st round pick on. The physical tools and upside will get him drafted in round 1, but I just couldn't take that risk. He's a great college player but that doesn't always translate to the NFL.

Originally Posted by CP1708

KingJames23 wrote:
im that one wrote:
hahahahaha u i love doin that too. NFL fantasy time and i do it all the time on madden. I like doing that sometimes more then playing the game. doing all the FA and Drafting. Or rebuilding a team. i've always liked doing that.

As do I, the off the field stuff has just become so intriguing to me. All that is what wins championships and all the components that go into that process is amazing.

As I've gotten older (I'm not that old) the strategy of the game has has become more intriguing to me. Watching play designs, trying to figure out defensive coverages, the chess game that goes on is crazy. I do some coaching as well and developed my own playbook that is now about 175 plays deep. (Yeah I'm that much of a nerd). Granted I can only run a small fraction of what is in there.

/random tangent
Agreed.  I get all kinds of @#$% for the NFL draft. My fam and friends think I am bat @#$% crazy.   I take the week off from work, move the kitchen table into my living room as a work area, got spreadsheets, laptop, notes, books/mags, phones, printouts, pens, pencils, highlighters, a damn 2 liter of Mountain Dew and I'm set. 
frown.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Your basement probably becomes jealous...
btw.... 
roll.gif
eek.gif

KingJames23 wrote:
im that one wrote:
hahahahaha u i love doin that too. NFL fantasy time and i do it all the time on madden. I like doing that sometimes more then playing the game. doing all the FA and Drafting. Or rebuilding a team. i've always liked doing that.

As do I, the off the field stuff has just become so intriguing to me. All that is what wins championships and all the components that go into that process is amazing.

As I've gotten older (I'm not that old) the strategy of the game has has become more intriguing to me. Watching play designs, trying to figure out defensive coverages, the chess game that goes on is crazy. I do some coaching as well and developed my own playbook that is now about 175 plays deep. (Yeah I'm that much of a nerd). Granted I can only run a small fraction of what is in there.

/random tangent
Agreed.  I get all kinds of @#$% for the NFL draft. My fam and friends think I am bat @#$% crazy.   I take the week off from work, move the kitchen table into my living room as a work area, got spreadsheets, laptop, notes, books/mags, phones, printouts, pens, pencils, highlighters, a damn 2 liter of Mountain Dew and I'm set. 
frown.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Your basement probably becomes jealous...
btw.... 
roll.gif
eek.gif

I don't got no damn basement. 
laugh.gif

I dunno why I torture myself, the Dolphins @#$% up their draft every single year. 
mad.gif

Then I sit and watch in horror as teams like NE, Indy, Balt, and Pitt NAIL every single draft. 
30t6p3b.gif
  I swear I could run the draft better then Miami's front offices after Jimmy. 

laugh.gif

I dunno why I torture myself, the Dolphins @#$% up their draft every single year. 
mad.gif

Then I sit and watch in horror as teams like NE, Indy, Balt, and Pitt NAIL every single draft. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by KingJames23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

But if I were a GM I'd never draft a QB from a spread option type offense (add in the up tempo system). The learning curve is so huge. He sees so many vanilla defenses. And a lot of cover 1 stuff because of that extra safety coming up in run support. He also gets spied a good amount taking another guy out of coverage. The system dictates coverages and looks he gets are nothing like he'll get in the NFL. He has to make huge leaps in progression reading and reading a defense. Also needs a lot of mechanical work. Those are very massive questions to be answered (not the mechanical work), that I wouldn't be willing to risk a 1st round pick on. The physical tools and upside will get him drafted in round 1, but I just couldn't take that risk. He's a great college player but that doesn't always translate to the NFL.
IMO the upside outweighs the risks.  He's a guy who I wouldn't expect to get regular PT at least 2 seasons.  Just remember...Aaron Rodgers had a couple of seasons on the pine before he got the keys to the car.  There were a lot of questions around him as well...He was a Jeff Tedford product.  Again...in some instances the upside outweighs the risks. 

As far as Cam's mechanics, what do you see that needs fixing?  I don't see his mechanics being that bad to the point that it's a real knock.  David Carr was messed with and ended up regressing. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

But if I were a GM I'd never draft a QB from a spread option type offense (add in the up tempo system). The learning curve is so huge. He sees so many vanilla defenses. And a lot of cover 1 stuff because of that extra safety coming up in run support. He also gets spied a good amount taking another guy out of coverage. The system dictates coverages and looks he gets are nothing like he'll get in the NFL. He has to make huge leaps in progression reading and reading a defense. Also needs a lot of mechanical work. Those are very massive questions to be answered (not the mechanical work), that I wouldn't be willing to risk a 1st round pick on. The physical tools and upside will get him drafted in round 1, but I just couldn't take that risk. He's a great college player but that doesn't always translate to the NFL.
IMO the upside outweighs the risks.  He's a guy who I wouldn't expect to get regular PT at least 2 seasons.  Just remember...Aaron Rodgers had a couple of seasons on the pine before he got the keys to the car.  There were a lot of questions around him as well...He was a Jeff Tedford product.  Again...in some instances the upside outweighs the risks. 

As far as Cam's mechanics, what do you see that needs fixing?  I don't see his mechanics being that bad to the point that it's a real knock.  David Carr was messed with and ended up regressing. 

^
But do the Packers take Rodgers if they were drafting #3?  Or 4?  I don't think so. 

Rodgers was someone who COULD have gone first, second, etc etc in the draft, and dropped like a stone.  Pack getting him at 24 to sit and learn behind Brett was pure luck. 

If Rodgers is drafted by another team, with a poor coaching structure, bad ownership that can't surround him with players, and no other QB to at least witness how to perform the job during a week.  (since Brett wasn't all that helpful, but at least Aaron could watch the guy prepare and what not)  Is A-Rodg the guy we know today? 

I think the answer is no. 

Location/situation determines a lot with these guys.  The chip on his shoulder must have been tremendous after that. 

If Brady Quinn was taken by the Packers, and A-Rodg by the Browns, how different would their career's be? 
nerd.gif

^
But do the Packers take Rodgers if they were drafting #3?  Or 4?  I don't think so. 

Rodgers was someone who COULD have gone first, second, etc etc in the draft, and dropped like a stone.  Pack getting him at 24 to sit and learn behind Brett was pure luck. 

If Rodgers is drafted by another team, with a poor coaching structure, bad ownership that can't surround him with players, and no other QB to at least witness how to perform the job during a week.  (since Brett wasn't all that helpful, but at least Aaron could watch the guy prepare and what not)  Is A-Rodg the guy we know today? 

Location/situation determines a lot with these guys.  The chip on his shoulder must have been tremendous after that. 

If Brady Quinn was taken by the Packers, and A-Rodg by the Browns, how different would their career's be? 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

mad.gif

30t6p3b.gif
This.

and This.

we clearly need to go into business and take over their front office. Give us 2 years and Ross' deep pockets... done deal.

damn dolphins...
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

mad.gif

30t6p3b.gif
This.

and This.

we clearly need to go into business and take over their front office. Give us 2 years and Ross' deep pockets... done deal.

damn dolphins...
30t6p3b.gif

KingJames23 wrote:

DoubleJs07 wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Ideally he would need to sit but the reality is rarely the case, look at Tebow. Tebow needed a few years on the bench but thrown into the fire year 1.

As far as mechanics, the throwing motion I find to be awkward and he needs to move his release point. He also gets sloppy with his footwork, when he uses proper footwork he throws a good ball. He can't get away with that in the NFL. He'll also need work on dropping back from under center. I'm a stickler for mechanics, mechanics set the foundation for everything the QB does.

KingJames23 wrote:

DoubleJs07 wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Ideally he would need to sit but the reality is rarely the case, look at Tebow. Tebow needed a few years on the bench but thrown into the fire year 1.

As far as mechanics, the throwing motion I find to be awkward and he needs to move his release point. He also gets sloppy with his footwork, when he uses proper footwork he throws a good ball. He can't get away with that in the NFL. He'll also need work on dropping back from under center. I'm a stickler for mechanics, mechanics set the foundation for everything the QB does.

^

nerd.gif

You're right...some of  it does have to do with organizational structure.  However with a hypothetical about Rodgers/Quinn switching places, I'd have to think that Quinn would still suck and Rodgers could have been the cornerstone for a POTENTIAL Browns turn-around.  Also, If the Packers are drafting #3 or #4, how do we know that they wouldn't have picked Rodgers?  Wasn't part of the reason for his slide due to teams not having a need for a QB in that draft (in addition to being a Tedford product)?  He could have been GB's guy from the jump. 

^

nerd.gif

You're right...some of  it does have to do with organizational structure.  However with a hypothetical about Rodgers/Quinn switching places, I'd have to think that Quinn would still suck and Rodgers could have been the cornerstone for a POTENTIAL Browns turn-around.  Also, If the Packers are drafting #3 or #4, how do we know that they wouldn't have picked Rodgers?  Wasn't part of the reason for his slide due to teams not having a need for a QB in that draft (in addition to being a Tedford product)?  He could have been GB's guy from the jump. 

KingJames23 wrote:

DoubleJs07 wrote:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Even though Cam is way more inexperienced than Tebow, he's still WAY more polished as a pure passer.  If Denver didn't take Tebow in the 20's, there were rumblings that he wouldn't be selected until the 3rd round.  Do you remember how poorly Tebow fared in the Senior Bowl practices?  Dude was God awful.  

Back
Top Bottom