OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/atkins-looking-for-fresh-start.html[/h1]
[h1]Atkins Looking For Fresh Start[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [June 28 at 12:38pm CST]

Garrett Atkins, recently designated for assignment by the Orioles, is headed home to California to wait out his fate.  MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli spoke to the corner infielder, who would be willing to sign a minor league deal with a new club.  Ghiroli notes that interested teams would wait until after he clears waivers.  Atkins is not thinking about retirement.

Atkins, 30, signed a one-year, $4.5MM deal with the Orioles on December 22nd after being non-tendered by the Rockies.  The signing was considered one of the worst of the offseason in our March executive poll.  Having logged 152 plate appearances with a .214/.276/.286 line in 2010, Atkins' stock has only dropped further

Atkins told Ghiroli that he is ready to move on from the Orioles. However, he told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he would consider playing in the minors for another organization. That approach worked for Pat Burrell, who is hitting well for the Giants after a stint in their minor league system.

Yes, he sucked for the Orioles.  However, he is cheap (Minor League deal), and we need a corner infielder off the bench (Ronnie Belliard playing 1st base
smh.gif
).  Plus, it's time to DFA Garrett Anderson since he serves little to no purpose with Reed Johnson being the 4th outfielder and Xavier Paul ready to come up at a moments notice.

i dont like broxton, never liked saito. never really liked any closer except for gagne and rick vaughn. but having another gagne wont ever happen again unless someone develops some new magic cream. its an overrated position anyway. i expect broxton to fail pretty much everytime because of games like last night, earlier this year against milwaukee, phillies blah blah. but last night i actually felt bad for the dude. obviously it wasnt his night and he should have been bailed out and torre failed him.

good win tonight though. its good to know that we can beat division teams at least.

Saito was much more than average, he was amazing.

I understand not giving Broxton the benefit of the doubt until he can get it done in the playoffs, but that doesn't prevent you from realizing how good he is compared to closers around baseball and to realize that no closer is perfect.

FWIW, I think Jansen could be just as good if not better than all 3 of them. He's got two plus pitches and a great knowledge of how to pitch, just needs more control.

Saito was pretty much nails man.

Challanged hitters with his less than 90mph fastball, and his offspeed stuff was sexy.

Anyways, Matt Kemp in the doghouse?

Ironman reverting back to his old broxton defending ways? I see you buddy!
smile.gif

brox already had a heart that pumps kool-aid so just think what would happen if joe came and pulled him in that 9th

how many times do you see someone that is the closer get pulled in that spot? not much. man the +%+$ up fat *%+ and get the out.

my problem with brox is when the lights are on in the big stage he already comes out sweating like a pig and %@+!+!$% in his pants.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

brox already had a heart that pumps kool-aid so just think what would happen if joe came and pulled him in that 9th

how many times do you see someone that is the closer get pulled in that spot? not much. man the +%+$ up fat *%+ and get the out.

my problem with brox is when the lights are on in the big stage he already comes out sweating like a pig and %@+!+!$% in his pants.

That is my only gripe with the big guy, because I for one love the guy.

If you're at the stadium on Sunday, the same guys you hear ripping him a new one are the loudest ones cheering when the gate opens as Iron Man is blaring through the speakers in the stadium.

A LOT of people love to complain just to do it.

I just don't see the point in continuing to harp on Broxton, especially when he is the least of the problems.

No save he gets or blows until the NLCS is going to really show us anything or mean a whole lot anyways.

I have no problem with being upset with failure, but on Sunday he was set-up to fail. If Joe had let Kershaw out there to throw into the 140s and give up the lead you guys wouldn't hear, "how many times do you see someone that is the closer get pulled in thatspot? not much. man the +%+$ up fat *%+ and get the out."

Two-sport star Zach Lee considering future with LSU

By Michael Lambert

Contributing Writer

Published: Monday, June 28, 2010

Updated: Monday, June 28, 2010

LSU football coach Les Miles and baseball coach Paul Mainieri are no strangers to recruiting the best talent in the country to suit up for the Tigers.

Miles is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation, landing the likes of Russell Shepard, Patrick Peterson and Chad Jones.

Mainieri holds his own in the recruiting world as well, having signed Leon Landry, Austin Nola and Anthony Ranaudo, among others.

Now the two coaches are forced to muster their recruiting prowess into one prospect who could alter the future of LSU football and baseball — phenom Zach Lee of McKinney, Texas.

The two-sport star dominated the high school gridiron on Friday nights, throwing for 2,564 yards and 31 touchdowns his senior season, and owned the diamond, striking out 90 batters and leading McKinney High School with a 11-3 record and a 2.15 ERA.

Lee, with his 6-foot-4-inch, 200-pound stature, was drafted 28th overall June 7 by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 2010 MLB Draft, but he is currently attending summer classes at LSU and working with the football team.

Bobby Reyes, Lee’s football coach at McKinney, said he predicts his former quarterback will choose to play at LSU.

“He’s told me all along ... he wanted to go to school, and he wanted to play both [football and baseball],

Most likely nothing is gonna come out until August.

And there's almost zero chance Lee or anyone in his family would say anything except that they're ready to go to LSU in the fall, it's what gives them bargaining power.

Tiger fans (well, smart ones) know that they can't really know for sure until the deadline passes.

[h1]Lawyer Gets Clutch Save at Dodgers Game[/h1]
Originally posted Jun 29th 2010 12:20 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

The L.A. Dodgers weren'tthe only ones who choked on Sunday night -- a VIP fan needed help aftergetting some food stuck in his throat ... and he got assistance fromthe lawyer for Dodgers owner Frank McCourt.

0628-la-dugout-choke-ex-3.jpg

It all went down in the Dugout Club at Dodger Stadium -- the fancy place where all the VIP fans hang out -- when a middle-aged man began choking on a "meat product."

We'retold another man rushed to his aid and began performing the HeimlichManeuver ... and successfully dislodged the meat product.

But our hero wasn't any ordinary baseball fan -- it was Marshall Grossman ... the guy repping L.A. Dodgers owner Frank McCourt in the bitter divorce that seems to be tearing the team apart.  

After the incident, Marshall told the man he saved, "Next time you have a medical emergency, call a lawyer."

Back
Top Bottom