***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

^ I hope the Cardinal Killer Zombrano doesn't shut us down. We both know how he tends to own us. Wainright needs to have his best stuff and the offenseneeds to get busy fast.

Bradley suspended for the rest of the season.

Hopefully, the next time i ever type his name will be in this sentence, "Bradley got traded/released/run over by caribou."

Jim Hendry: GM of the year for signing that nutcase Milton Bradley when no other GM dared to come close to Hendry's offer. Fire HENDRY!!!!

indifferent.gif
@ the offense failing again
smh.gif
not getting the sweep.

Jim Hendry was quoted earlier this year as saying, "He (Milton Bradley) is our kind of guy.". Now Hendry has suspended MB for the rest of the seasonand will trade him for whatever he can (bats and balls included) and eat most of the 2 years of MB's contract. Great job Jimmy. You are a clown.

il_fullxfull.37248414.jpg

The Dodgers traded Milton and Antonio Perez for Andre Ethier.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Not one of Billy Beane's finest moments
sick.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
Milton.

Is it just the #21 in RF or something? They can't seem to finish out the regular season when things are in the tank.

So yeah, glad we gave up Marquis, DeRosa, and whoever else we let go to sign Milton. Great job.
indifferent.gif

I let loose a mini Tiger fist pump when I heard the Bradley news. CP1708, nice catch on #21 part deux in RF.....
roll.gif

Well, he's going to be going somewhere else for sure now.....with the Cubs eating a humongo chunk of his salary. Where he goes, I don't care....what weget, I don't care. Part of me wants him on the team next year so we can option him to Iowa on Opening Day, then keep sending him down to Rookie Ball bySeptember, just to mess with his head!
roll.gif

The Angels need to keep beating the Yankees, the Rangers can't lose either. I want the Cards to be the first team to clinch
pimp.gif

Well, at least we beat the Brewers alot.
frown.gif

I wonder what Armais's numbers would look like over a full season.
mad.gif
His shoulder injury was the beginning of our end.
tired.gif

Cubs fans I have a question... Would you want the cubs to go after Doc Halladay? If so... would you be ok with packaging... Randy Wells, Jake Fox, JoshVitters and Marmol? You know their going to ask for the mother load.

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

Cubs fans I have a question... Would you want the cubs to go after Doc Halladay? If so... would you be ok with packaging... Randy Wells, Jake Fox, Josh Vitters and Marmol? You know their going to ask for the mother load.

I am ALWAYS in favor of going after proven talent over a bunch of dumb teenage prospects.

But right here, you're talking about guys who can play in the majors and have proven so. Wells, Fox, and Marmol can all be on our team, and be good,Vitters we don't know about yet, so I wouldn't mind moving him, but not 3 young guys who are capable major leaguers.

If Doc was 27 instead of 32 going to be 33, maybe I'd think on it harder. But to have him for 3-4 years declining, whereas Wells, and Marmol and Fox canfill out our team for longer then that, and possibly still improve, thas too much.

^^ I wouldnt want to give up all that young talent, BUT damn i know doc would absolutely dominate in the NL! what would be your ideal trade for halladay ifany?

Maybe I'm ok with 3 outta the 4. Wells, Vitters, and Fox OR Marmol, plus they might want some single A level guy or whatever. Double A guy or 2. Butthas it. Can't do all 4 of them.

And agree, Doc would do stupid numbers in the NL.
laugh.gif

gTFVFDiw.jpg

[h3]Cardinals cruise, cut magic number to 2[/h3]Pineiro wins 15th; Rasmus, Molina homer to paste Astros

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

09/23/09 12:15 AM ET
Box >
HOUSTON -- The Cardinals' offense erupted for a second successive night on Tuesday, supporting Joel Pineiro a night after backing Kyle Lohse. But the best news was that Pineiro didn't need the help.

After a brief slump earlier this month, Pineiro returned to form, pitching seven strong innings as the Cardinals throttled the Astros, 11-2, at Minute Maid Park. St. Louis maintained a 10-game lead over the Cubs in the National League Central and dropped its magic number for clinching the division to two. The Cardinals could thus secure their fourth division title in six years as early as Wednesday night.

Pineiro struck out four and walked two, allowing five hits, but the really revealing number was 12 groundouts against just five in the air. He needed a mere 87 pitches to get 21 outs, and 63 of those were strikes.

In short, it was the Pineiro that the Cardinals saw for the first five months of the season, rather than the one who had an ERA in the high 4.00s over his past four starts.

"I had a good sinker today," Pineiro said. "I trusted my sinker today a lot, like I've been doing all year, and I had a good one."

Pineiro's recent fade had led to questions as to whether he was wearing down. His innings total is higher than it's been since 2003, and it was at least fair to ask whether he was fatiguing. But Pineiro instead pointed to a small mechanical glitch, which he said he fixed in his previous start. He certainly looked fresh on Tuesday.

And it's needed, since Pineiro is almost certain to be the Cardinals' No. 3 starter in the postseason. He's one of a few Redbirds whose recent dips had caused worry in St. Louis, but the No. 3 starter seems to be one position to scratch off the concern list.

"He always throws a good game," Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada said. "He's moving the ball around. Like I always say, the best thing the Cardinals pitching has is they throw strikes. It doesn't matter how hard you hit it, they come back and throw strikes and never quit. I think that's why they're so good."

Pineiro was only in significant trouble one time, and he made a tremendous escape. After a double, a walk and a single to open the fourth, the Astros had the bases loaded with no outs. But Geoff Blum's sacrifice fly was the only headway Houston made the rest of the inning. Pineiro struck out Hunter Pence and got Jeff Keppinger to ground out, emerging with a 6-1 lead.

"A situation like that, with the lead, you've got to trade an out for a run," he said. "You go out there and hopefully make your pitches and get a ground ball or a strikeout or whatever you need, and I was able to do that."

Pineiro was credited with his 15th win, one shy of his career high, with two starts remaining in the season.

Meanwhile, Astros starter Yorman Bazardo breezed through the first two innings, but he got into trouble in the third. With two outs and a man on second, Skip Schumaker poked an RBI single to put the Cardinals ahead, 1-0. A walk and an Albert Pujols RBI single made it 2-0, and the third run came home when Pujols was caught running between first and second.

Four more hits produced three more runs in the fourth inning, and Bazardo was pulled before finishing the frame. The Redbirds kept adding on even after that, with Colby Rasmus and Yadier Molina going deep in the late innings to turn the game into a rout.

"We're just taking good at-bats," Molina said. "Everybody's taking good at-bats. That's what we need. To finish strong, thinking of the postseason, that's what we need to do. If we want to win, we have to do that."

The Cardinals have scored 18 runs in two games in Houston, after totaling 30 on their preceding nine-game homestand.

"We've got a good offense," manager Tony La Russa said. "A lot of talent up and down. I can tell partly because of the guys that you sit. We have guys that have an argument to play and they're not in the lineup. So that tells me we're deep and good."

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Offense gave the stros a beating last night
pimp.gif

I am fine with packaging Fox in any trade. I am not a big Fox fan. I am also fine with giving alot away for Halladay.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Well, at least we beat the Brewers alot.
frown.gif

I wonder what Armais's numbers would look like over a full season.
mad.gif
His shoulder injury was the beginning of our end.
tired.gif

Pretty much the same thing as yesterday.

We beat the Brewers again, I still wish I knew what Aramis woulda done over a full season, so I just re-used it. Tryna go green.
laugh.gif

I wanted them to end it tonight..........but being able to post this picture made the loss a little bit better for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some final thoughts...

-injuries completely crushed this Reds team this year...
-Homer Bailey seems to be getting more comfortable every time he takes the mound...he's learned to pitch.
-Willy Taveras is a bum.
-wish we woulda gotten a guy like Rolen before the season, but still happy with the trade. he's a great veteran presence in a locker room full of youngguys...and he can still play a great third base.
-we need a SS for next season...but if it's Janish...we'll have a very, very good infield.
-Arroyo and Harang...nice knowing ya.
-Cordero is still fine closing games in my book...when he was able to get in a groove, and pitch 3-4 games in a row...he was great. but when the save oppsweren't there...and he went days between appearances, he was awful.
-Jonny Gomes was a great addition...hope to have him back.
-worried about Volquez.
-Joey Votto
pimp.gif

-Brandon Phillips
pimp.gif
...put a "C" on this man'sjersey...he's played thru injuries all season, and still busts his @%+ every single game as if we were in the race.

Congrats to the St. Louis Cardinals...i'll be rooting for ya.
pimp.gif

2s0l4e9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom