OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Loney....
smokin.gif

Crazy Geoffrey,
laugh.gif

Seriously, when are we expecting the influx of "Dodger fans".....
laugh.gif

It is only a matter of time,
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
hot off twitter, sorry if posted

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Hot Commodity: Los Angeles Dodgers Interested in Jarrod Washburn[/h1]
by Andy Auger (Analyst)
50 reads

Breaking News

June 23, 2009

102352_feature.jpg

[h3]Today's Must Reads[/h3]
(Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

Looks like the apparent blunder of nixing a Washburn deal with the Minnesota Twins last year was not much of a mistake.

The Los Angeles Dodgers are reportedly interested in the 34-year-old veteran starting pitcher. Dodgers GM Ned Colletti has been scouting the Dodgers farm squads over the past few days likely for possible trade packages. It is no surprise the Dodgers want to upgrade their pitching staff before the trading deadline. They are 22 games over .500 and if they can nail down that final spot in their rotation, they can just put their season on cruise control with Manny Ramirez coming back soon.

The Mariners themselves are currently at 35-34 and only 2.5 games out of the AL West. They are not just going to give away a quality starter for nothing, especially considering his salary will no longer be an issue like it was last season in trying to offload him. With the season being about halfway done, he is slated to make around $4-5 million.

Washburn's stats are misleading (26-48 4.23 ERA), as he has something like the second lowest run support out of all AL pitchers in his tenure with the Mariners, something interested teams know.

Since the Mariners are not in a desperate situation (i.e. 30 games out and forced to sell for the future), and could either be buyers or sellers this season, it will drive the price for their players up. No matter what they decide to do, they are going to get top line young talent, or established MLB ready players.

With a confident, competent GM in Jack Zdurencik who has already shown his savvy in trades by grabbing guys like David Aardsma, Jason Vargas, Garret Olson, and Franklin Guiterrez, Mariners' fans should feel good about what goes on at this years trade deadline. It has been a refreshing change from the Bavasi era when all of the best trade chips were given away on a silver platter. I know every trade deadline of late felt like a kick to the nuts for Mariners fans.

Name one Bavasi era trade import who is currently making any impact for the Mariners. That's funny, because there are not any.

In regards to Washburn, a three prospect package containing two high rated prospects, and a mid to low level, is what can be expected. I would expect them to be looking for a SS with the lackadaisical Yuniesky Betancourt drawing the ire of many Mariners fans. I know I am not the only one wishing those Jack Wilson trade rumors had not fallen through.

A report from the Seattle Times had Dodgers OF Juan Pierre as a possible match for Washburn. Just what the Mariners need, another OF who cannot hit for power.

With JZ at the helm, just let this thing play itself out and the result should be positive Mariners fans.

laugh.gif
I was going to post that sinser
smh.gif

Is KCAL going to drop in to Mannys ABs? or should I just watch it online

Also, Odog is struggling

^espn will be showing them.

562 o-dog doubled home raffy 1st inning.

Man jarrod washburn would be a nice pickup especially at that price.

DeWitt / Hu could be non the move? Wonder what Ned is working on.

Better not be that Hendrickson - BS like deal
mad.gif

[h2]Manny talks, but not about steroids[/h2]

Comment Email Print Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Shortly after arriving in Albuquerque, Manny Ramirez vowed that he wouldn't do interviews until his suspension ends.

"I ain't talking today, baby," he declared. "Write what you want."

Manny being Manny, that lasted about an hour.

After going through stretching, warmups, batting practice and shagging flies in the outfield, Ramirez returned to a cramped corner of the Albuquerque Isotopes clubhouse and held court.

[+] Enlarge
Mark J. Rebilas/US PresswireManny Ramirez wore his Albuquerque Isotopes hat during pregame warmups Tuesday.

One of the first questions was about whether he used steroids.

"I'm not talking about it anymore," he said. "I already said what I'm going to say. I'm here to do my rehab, you know, and [go] to the game and get a couple at-bats and get back to the big-league team."

The Los Angeles Dodgers slugger is in Albuquerque to get into playing shape as he prepares to return from a 50-game suspension for violating baseball's drug rules.

He was listed as leadoff hitter and playing left field Tuesday night for the Dodgers' Triple-A affiliate. Albuquerque Isotopes manager Tim Wallach said Ramirez will play four innings on Tuesday, five on Wednesday and seven on Thursday.

"It's more to get him on the field, to get him some innings out in left field, physically get him moving around," Wallach said. "The at-bats are important as well, just to see live pitching."

It wasn't certain if Ramirez will see the series finale on Friday.

"I'm sure they'll let me know on that soon," Wallach said.

Ramirez is expected to rejoin the Dodgers on July 3 at San Diego. He shrugged off questions about his public image, coming after several Albuquerque fans said Monday they disapprove of his drug use but were still excited to see him play.

"People love me everywhere I go," Ramirez said. "I'm excited to bring a lot of joy to a lot of people here. I feel good. I'm happy that I'm here."

Ramirez, who flew into Albuquerque aboard a Southwest Airlines commercial flight, took the field for warmups wearing a red Isotopes hat over his dreadlocks. He wore a white sports garment and white pants.

He said his plan was to work back into playing shape. Asked if he was close, he replied: "Not really close. I haven't played like in 50 days, but I'm going to catch up slowly, day by day."

Isotopes infielder Blake DeWitt, who has shuttled between the Dodgers and Albuquerque this season, said Ramirez can be a positive influence in the minor league clubhouse.

"He knows how to get ready," DeWitt said. "The guy's done this a long time. He's had a ton of success. ... I'm sure he's going to be trying to see a lot of pitches, get his timing down."

Wallach said he spoke with Ramirez and offered to do whatever the slugger needs to prepare for his return to the majors. He also said they didn't bother to go over the signs.

"I told him he's got the green light, not to worry about the signs," Wallach said, laughing. "I won't be bunting or hitting-and-running with him. If he wants to run, he can run."

In Chicago, Dodgers manager Joe Torre was thrilled that his suspended slugger was playing ball again.

"I don't care what the results are, I just want to get him in game situations," said Torre, whose team was playing the White Sox. "He hasn't been missing for this period of time before. As much work as you do in the weight room and running on the field, it's still not the same as playing in a game. It's the game situation that sort of changes the atmosphere and your approach. I need to get him a number of games to get into the competition."

Back
Top Bottom