OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Mark Sweeney doing the post-game?
sick.gif
Listen, anything to keep him away from the Dodgers' bench. Ha.

I noticed the silent treatment they gave Russell, but I didn't see the Either foot.
laugh.gif

[h3]Weaver parents have 'emotional' night[/h3]Mother, father sport dual jerseys to cheer on Jeff, Jered

By Quinn Roberts / MLB.com

06/21/09 1:18 AM ET

ANAHEIM -- As Dave and Gail Weaver sat behind home plate Saturday night for the pitching matchup between their sons, one thing became apparently clear: Their loyalty to both the Angels and Dodgers was split right down the middle.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
After an idea from their daughter-in-law and help from the Angels, each parent wore a shirt that had half of Jeff's Dodgers jersey and half of Jered's Angels jersey sewn together.

"It was very emotional," Gail said after the Dodgers beat the Angels, 6-4. "There was no downtime, so before you know it, the next one is coming out and you are rooting for him. So, it was exciting."

While Jered Weaver pitched 5 1/3 innings, giving up 10 hits and six earned runs to get the loss, brother Jeff picked up the win in five-plus innings of work, giving up six hits and two earned runs.

"It is not a comfortable feeling," Gail said. "You want them both to do well because they are doing the best that they can, and we are just rooting for both of them.

"We were hoping somehow that they can both get a win, but we know that isn't possible, so you just keep rooting for them, and whatever happens happens."

Although the entire Weaver clan was not at the game, the outpouring of support from the entire family has been something Gail will not soon forget.

To celebrate the unique occasion, the family decided to a have a get-together with family and friends after the game to take in the moment for what it was.

"I am going to remember all the support we have received from family and friends and to see my sons out there being able to share this together," Gail said. "It is a unique situation and I know they enjoyed it, so we are, too."

Understanding how demanding the past few days have been on both of her sons, Gail could not have been more proud of how each handled themselves.

"They both deserve this because they work very hard. It isn't an easy situation," Gail said. "I wish they both could have got a win. It just doesn't work that way."

Quinn Roberts is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[h3]Manny to begin Minors stint on Tuesday[/h3]Slugger agrees to start rehab for Triple-A Albuquerque

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/20/09 8:32 PM ET

ANAHEIM -- Suspended outfielder Manny Ramirez agreed to start a Minor League rehab assignment Tuesday night at Triple-A Albuquerque, Dodgers manager Joe Torre announced Saturday.
Ramirez was suspended on May 7 for 50 games after violating the Major League Baseball drug policy. Club management is hoping he will play three games in Albuquerque, take a day off to travel to California, then resume the Minor League assignment with four games for Class A Inland Empire in final preparation for his return to the Dodgers lineup July 3.

Torre said he did not know Ramirez's plans beyond reporting for Tuesday's game.

"The only thing I know for sure is that he agreed to be there," he said.

Torre said he believes that Ramirez would benefit by seeing Minor League game action before returning from the suspension. The drug policy allows for a 10-game transitional Minor League assignment -- but only with the player's consent.

"It's just a matter of competing," he said. "Do I think he could play without embarrassing himself? Yes. But it's best just to play games and get acclimated. I think that's important. He doesn't need to put up numbers."

Ramirez has been working out at Dodger Stadium for nearly a month. But the club is wary of Ramirez's hamstring muscles, which turned 37 during the suspension and gave him trouble when he signed late, tried to rush his Spring Training regimen and had to be shelved for more than a week of exhibition games.

Torre also said Ramirez was grazed by a pitch from a Dodgers farmhand during Saturday morning workouts at Dodger Stadium.

"He was hit on the left hand by a breaking ball," said Torre. "The e-mail said it was nothing, but it should be reported. I asked [bullpen catcher Rob Flippo], who was there, and he said it was nothing."

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[h3]Martin might have unlocked key to swing[/h3]LA Dodgers (45-24) at LA Angels (36-30), 5:05 p.m. PT
[img]http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2009/06/20/mlbf_5158971_th_13.jpg[/img]

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/21/09 2:13 AM ET

ANAHEIM -- After holding a Thursday news conference to announce his involvement with the ONE DROP Foundation, while en route to the clubhouse, Russell Martin walked past injured infielder Doug Mientkiewicz, who was practicing his swing, which included the leg lift he uses to keep his body weight back.
"And that's when it hit me," Martin said Saturday night. "That's it. That's what I wasn't doing. This is it."

Martin stopped cold. He started talking to Mientkiewicz, mimicked his leg lift, took it into batting practice, then that night's game.

On Saturday night, the leg lift launched Martin on his first home run trot of the year, first three-hit game in nearly a month and first RBI in three weeks.

The Weaver Brothers Show, for all the hype and headlines, was a one-day novelty. Martin's awakening could signal yet another weapon in the Dodgers' loaded toolbox with the anticipated return of You-Know-Who less than two weeks away.

Martin, a two-time All-Star, will serve as the Dodgers' designated hitter Sunday, with Brad Ausmus starting behind the plate.

"For me, it's just getting my body in a good position to hit," he said. "Before, even though I was lifting my leg, I still had my body leaning forward too soon, I wasn't really getting my weight back. Lifting it the way Doug does keeps my body weight back. So I'm not pulling off early, which was my problem.

"Knowing what's wrong is one thing. Doing it right is a different ballgame. I've done a lot of work with Donnie [hitting coach Don Mattingly]. Now, I've found something I'm comfortable with, whether the pitch is a fastball or off-speed, I'm in a good position to hit. It's not a miracle. It doesn't mean I'll go 3-for-4 every day. But it's comforting to know I'm doing something right."

With Martin leading a 12-hit attack, the Dodgers avenged a loss to Jered Weaver of a month ago at Dodger Stadium.

"Give them credit," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "They're in first place for a reason. If you're missing your spots, they're going to let you know."

With Jeff Weaver pitching into the sixth inning and James McDonald not used, disabled pitcher Eric Milton will be sent to make a final injury rehab start Sunday for Class A Inland Empire before returning to the Dodgers' rotation as the fifth starter at the end of next week.

Milton was held back just in case the Dodgers used up both Weaver and McDonald on Saturday, in which case Milton would have been activated Sunday to be the long man in the bullpen.

Pitching matchup
LAD: LHP Clayton Kershaw (3-5, 4.13 ERA)
Kershaw bounced back from his worst start of the season by blanking the A's for 5 2/3 innings on Tuesday. It wasn't pretty as he walked three and needed 105 pitches to get through those 5 2/3 innings, but he did strike out eight batters. It was a marked improvement from his previous start when he lasted just 2 2/3 innings against the Padres. Kershaw is 0-0 with a 1.80 ERA in one career start against the Angels but has never pitched in Anaheim.

LAA: RHP John Lackey (2-2, 6.10 ERA)
Ending a four-start victory drought, Lackey had a lively fastball and crackling curveball in striking out 10 Giants and walking none in a strong seven-inning effort at AT&T Park on Monday night. Lackey scattered 10 hits and carried a shutout into the sixth, finishing with three earned runs charged to him after throwing 106 pitches, 74 for strikes. One of the most successful pitchers in Interleague history, Lackey has been brilliant against the Dodgers. He's 5-1 in eight starts with a 1.50 ERA in 54 innings against the Angels' turf rivals. He had a no-decision on May 23 at Dodger Stadium, yielding three earned runs in seven innings.

Tidbits
Weaver became the only Dodgers starting pitcher other than Chad Billingsley to win a game in June this year. ... The win was only the Dodgers' second in their past 10 games in Anaheim. ... Second baseman Orlando Hudson has an eight-game hitting streak.

Tickets
icon_ticket.gif
Buy tickets now to catch the game in person.

On the Internet
mlbtv.gif
MLB.TV
audio_gold.gif
Gameday Audio
Gameday
Official game notes

On television
• ESPN

On radio
• KABC 790, KHJ 930 (Español)

Up next
• Monday: Off-day
• Tuesday: Dodgers (Hiroki Kuroda, 1-3, 3.86) at White Sox (John Danks, 5-5, 4.48), 5:11 p.m. PT [img]http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif[/img]
• Wednesday: Dodgers (Randy Wolf, 3-2, 3.29) at White Sox (Gavin Floyd, 4-5, 4.65), 5:11 p.m. PT [img]http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif[/img]

[h2]http://www.timesleader.com/sports/Kids__Ashby_also_star_dad_06-21-2009.html[/h2]
[h2]Kids: Ashby also star dad[/h2] [h3]Ex-Padres great has big fans in his 4 daughters[/h3]
By Van Rose [email protected]
Sports Reporter

When Andy Ashby took the mound for the San Diego Padres in the 1998 World Series, he never dreamed some of the most memorable moments in his life would come at a dance recital.

ashby01_06-21-2009_6UB2FGE.jpg

click image to enlarge

Former major league and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Baron pitcher Andy Ashby stands with his family at PNC Field in Moosic. From left, Andy's wife Tracy, daughters Taryn, 10, Eastin, 13, Madison, 12, and Ashton, 9.

Pete g. wilcox/the times leader
ashby02_06-21-2009_6UB2FGH.jpg

click image to enlarge

Father's Day will be a special day for the Ashby family of Yatesville. Former big league pitcher Andy Ashby stands with his wife, Tracy, and their daughters at PNC Field in Moosic. From left, Eastin, 13; Ashton, 9; Madison, 12; and Taryn, 10.

Pete g. wilcox/the times leader

Select images available for purchase in the
Times Leader Photo Store

But these days the former big-league pitcher is more than happy to be known as the father of four happy and healthy daughters rather than a major league baseball player.

And with two of his daughters taking to dance the way Ashby took to baseball, the former Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Baron spends plenty of his spare time at dance recitals and practices.

Add in all the other responsibilities of being a full-time stay-at home dad, and Ashby's life is hardly recognizable compared to his days playing professional baseball.

That's more than fine with Dad and just perfect with his wife, Tracy, and their four daughters.

As his family celebrates Father's Day today, Ashby considers himself the luckiest man in the world because he's making up for lost time after spending 14 years in the major leagues.

"I look back and thank God for my wife, who made it easy for me to be away," said Ashby, who had a 98-110 record pitching for Philadelphia, San Diego, Colorado, Atlanta and the Los Angeles Dodgers during his big league career. "I always wonder, 'How in the world did she do this?'

"It's weird how much my family gave up when I was playing baseball," added Ashby, 41, who resides in Yatesville. "I still wanted to be a dad when I was gone, even when I was on the other side of the U.S."

Ashby was always able to take solace in the fact that his family traveled to a lot of road games.

"When the kids were really little, they were with him a lot before school started," said Tracy, who met Ashby when he was playing for the Red Barons 18 years ago. "We traveled everywhere with him and got to visit many stadiums."

Still, something was missing - the chance to spend every day of the year with his kids and watch them grow up. And most importantly, be there for them.

"Sometimes, little kids have big issues," said Ashby, who helps them find solutions. "I drive my wife a little crazy."

It's not surprising that all four of his daughters love sports. However, they have completely different personalities.

Eastin, 13, plays basketball for St. Mary's Assumption in Pittston. She also plays softball.

"She's more serious and is very focused on what's going on," Ashby said. "She talks to dad very seriously, and understood my being gone more than the little ones did."

Madison, 12, also plays basketball and softball, but is leaning toward basketball.

"She's very laid-back and happy-go-lucky," said Ashby. "She loves to build Legos. I think she's going to be an engineer or architect. The things she does with Legos are amazing."

Taryn, 10, and Ashton, 9, are both into tap jazz and ballet. Taryn plays Little League on a boys team in Jenkins Township, and also is a basketball player. Ashton plays soccer and basketball.

"Taryn is very talented at everything she does," her dad said. "Her dance is unbelievable. It's her passion.

"Dancing is Ashton's passion too," Ashby added. "She's the baby of the family and is soft-hearted and caring. All the girls are sweethearts in their own way."

According to his kids, Ashby is a wonderful father.

"Dad's special because he plays with us and we spend a lot of time together," Madison said. "He's easy to talk to and understands us."

Of course, having a famous dad also helps.

"When we go to baseball games we get to go into the clubhouse and meet the players," Eastin said. "And the whole family gets to go on the field."

An all-star with the Padres in 1998 and 1999, Ashby admits he misses playing baseball.

One day last spring he was throwing with Scranton native Ron Chiavacci, currently a pitcher for the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens.

"I started to think gee whiz, maybe I should play again," Ashby said. "Tracy told me don't even think about it."

Hated Ashby as a dodger, he sucked.

47619945.jpg

Email Picture

Christine Cotter / Los Angeles Times

Gail and Dave Weaver, parents of pitchers Jeff and Jered, show off their half-and-half uniforms in support of the Angels and Dodgers on Saturday, when their sons became the eighth set of brothers to pitch against each other.

BILL SHAIKIN / ON BASEBALL

[h1]A parent trap for the Weavers[/h1]

Christine Cotter / Los Angeles Times

Gail and Dave Weaver, parents of pitchers Jeff and Jered, show off their half-and-half uniforms in support of the Angels and Dodgers on Saturday, when their sons became the eighth set of brothers to pitch against each other.

It happened only 20 times in the majors, but on Saturday night Gail and Dave Weaver of Simi Valley watched their sons become the eighth pair of brothers to start a game against each other.

Bill Shaikin
June 21, 2009
It could have been any player, any field, anywhere in Southern California. The game is about to start, and the mother waves to her son as he walks from the bullpen to the dugout.

Jeff Weaver isn't too old for his mother to wave to him, right there in front of everyone.

Jeff pitched against his kid brother Jered on Saturday at Angel Stadium, in an extraordinary matchup: the older brother for the older L.A. team, the upstart little brother for the upstart L.A. team, within easy driving distance of the town in which they grew up.

But what made the evening so extraordinary was the celebration of the ordinary, in the presence of the parents. Gail and Dave Weaver personified the grace and selflessness evident in the thousands of parents who keep youth baseball leagues running smoothly across the Southland.

What parent does not want the best for his or her children?

"The main goal was for them to go to college and get an education, not to become major league baseball players," Dave said. "For me, the greatest thrill was seeing them to go to college."

Jered retires the Angels in order in the top of the first inning. In the bottom of the inning, Jeff throws away a pickoff attempt for an error, and the Angels soon score. The parents sit quietly, even as the Angels fans seated in front of them go crazy. But the Dodgers throw out a runner trying to steal, and Jeff strikes out the next hitter. "Yes!," Gail yells. "Go Jeff!"

The Weaver fans are everywhere, family and friends from far and wide, some four dozen Weaver dreamers.

Scott Boras, the agent who represents the brothers, donated his suite behind home plate. The Angels donated another suite. The parents sat where they always do, in Section 119.

"These are our home seats," Gail said. "We're a little superstitious, I guess."

There was no hint of favoritism in their clothing, no hint even that their sons were baseball players. Gail wore a black top and black jeans. Dave wore a brown Harley Davidson T-shirt and blue jeans.

"I always go incognito," he said.

But Gail wore her loyalties on her ring fingers, almost invisibly.

On the nail of the ring finger of her left hand, the one closest to the Angels dugout, she painted a tiny red dot. On the nail of the ring finger of her right hand, the one closest to the Dodgers dugout, she painted a tiny blue dot.

No one in the crowd could see that. But, when Angels vice president Tim Mead surprised Gail and Dave before the game with half-Dodger, half-Angel jerseys -- "DO-GELS" on the front of one, "AN-DGERS" on the front of the other, "WEAVER" on the back of both -- the parents happily put them on.

"We didn't want to draw attention to ourselves," Gail said. "But you can't not wear it, right?"

Jered retires the Dodgers in order again in the top of the second. In the bottom of the inning, Jeff gives up a home run, and the Angels lead, 2-0. Dave sits quietly, hands clasped. Gail sips from a water bottle. Then the Dodgers' defense rescues Jeff, and Dave and Gail jump up and applaud.

Gail sees a man waving frantically at her, from four sections away. She waves back, pointing him out to Dave.

"It's Chuck," Gail said. "Looks like he brought his grandkids."

Chuck coached Jeff and Jered as 8-year-olds, in the Santa Susana Boys Baseball League in Simi Valley. The Weavers grew up there.

The league is 46 years old. This year's sponsors included Steve's Automatic Gate Service, 805 Boot Camp and TuTu's Shave Ice and Ice Cream Shack.

Dave managed and coached in the league. Gail kept the score book and worked the snack bar.

When Jeff made his first All-Star team, at 9, the Weavers had no idea the players would practice every day, so Dave drove Jeff back and forth from the family camping trip, 90 minutes each way.

"After that, we knew we couldn't take any more summer vacation," Dave said.

And, since the boys were six years apart, the Weavers spent 12 years at Santa Susana.

"We raised two kids there," Gail said. "Everybody had their heart in the league."

Jered gives up two runs in the third, and the Dodgers tie the score. Dave sits quietly, arms crossed. Sue, an old friend who came in from Las Vegas, is sitting next to Gail and throws an arm around her shoulder.

Gail smiled at the thought, at the sheer fantasy: brother against brother, in the big leagues.

"I guess that's every little kid's dream," she said, "but what's the percentage of that happening?"

Saturday's game marked the 21st time brothers started against one another. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, major league history covers more than 190,000 games. That percentage: .0001.

"It's a little different perspective for us than what major league baseball and the historians think," Dave said. "They're still our sons. They're the most important things in our lives."

Said Gail: "It's very special, once you get past the nerves. It's an awesome feeling to see how close your boys are, to have this special bond through baseball. It's a great feeling to see them get to experience this together.

"I've just got to quit thinking about it. That's what's going to make me emotional."

Jeff stops the Angels without another run, but Jered gives up four more to the Dodgers. On a run-scoring single in the fifth inning, Dave slumps in his seat. On the two-run triple that follows, Dave drops his head to his knees.

In the top of the sixth inning, the Angels remove Jered, and his parents stand and applaud. In the bottom of the sixth, the Dodgers remove Jeff, and his parents stand and applaud.

Take away the lights, the live television and the sellout crowd, and this could have been just another day at Santa Susana. Jeff won and Jered lost, but the parents were proud of both of their boys.

And, yes, everyone went out to eat after the game.

Wish I was there. They look just like mom and pop
laugh.gif
smile.gif

[h2]Joe Torre Isn't Stupid[/h2]
tiny.v3808.gif
by Brendan Scolari on Jun 21, 2009 12:38 AM PDT in Media
comment.v1599.png
0 comments

More photos » by Nam Y Huh - AP

Hmm... maybe I shouldn't bunt here.

Browse more photos »

Or at least not stupid enough to have asked his #3 hitter to lay down a sacrifice bunt in the 9th inning with a man on base and nobody out. When Orlando Hudson put down a bunt in this exact situation last night it angered many a Dodger fan, including myself. It's pretty reasonable to question laying down a sacrifice bunt in any situation, let alone when of of the best hitters on the team is up and the numbers show that even a successful sacrifice hurts your chances of winning. Thankfully, Torre seems to realize trying to bunt was a mistake:
"Torre said he spoke to Orlando Hudson about his sacrifice bunt in the ninth inning Friday that moved Rafael Furcal into scoring position with one out. Furcal was stranded there when Casey Blake and Matt Kemp struck out. 'I told [Hudson] I'd rather have him swinging in that situation'."

Hudson laid down the bunt on his own, not because Torre called for it. Torre should have told Hudson before the inning that he didn't want him to bunt if Furcal reached base, but at least Torre didn't think the bunt was the right decision.

June 20, 2009
[h1]Weavers in the mirror[/h1]

The Weaver brothers each react to allowing home runs (with perpetrators Kendry Morales and Russell Martin trotting in the background) and to leaving the game mid-inning.

Photos: Chris Carlson/AP

and i disagree with torre not wanting him to bunt. it's not like he's a pujols or manny, that can smack the ball outta the park like nothin. you'replaying for 1 run, and id take a fast runner on 2nd with 1 out and having our 4-5 guys coming up.

Hope everyone is having a great Fathers Day!

I just spent the whole morning / day @ San Pedro (it's not bad if you haven't been there in over 10+ years).

Felt like a thousand people trying to get our seats
mad.gif

Made it home in time to catch the game at 5 (which is a %%%%*$ up time)

Rubber match, lets see which Kershaw decides to pitch today.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

and i disagree with torre not wanting him to bunt. it's not like he's a pujols or manny, that can smack the ball outta the park like nothin. you're playing for 1 run, and id take a fast runner on 2nd with 1 out and having our 4-5 guys coming up.
The point that "stat" people always try to make that nobody seems to get, is that you're never just playing for one run.

In that specific situation, even if we score only 1 run, our odds for winning or still not very good because we'd be the road team in extra innings.

PMAC I get your point, but maybe I just believe in small ball. I like my odds a lot more with just 1 out and a guy on 2nd, than with no outs and a guy onfirst. Double play right there and it's pretty much game over

Juan Pierre, LF
Rafael Furcal, SS
Orlando Hudson, 2B
Casey Blake, 3B
Andre Ethier, RF
Russell Martin, DH
James Loney, 1B
Matt Kemp, CF
Brad Ausmus, C

Let's see if Russ's leg kick can work tonight
devil.gif

Man I want Matty higher in the order, but shows you how deep this squad is.

& also where the hell is Juan Castro?

Please Kershaw get ahead, you fall behind and its a wrap.

CHALLENGE these hitters with your fastball, if you can't locate it - your curveball will be useless.

^Kemp should get an honorable mention.

How did I know Raffy was gonna hot potatoe that grounder?
sick.gif

[h1]Angels, Dodgers Will Pass On Pedro Martinez[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [June 21 at 7:09pm CST]

According to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times, the Angels scouted Pedro Martinez last week. There was some question as to which teams actually saw the Friday audition. However, Shaikin learned from Angels GM Tony Reagins that the Halos will pass on Martinez for baseball (not financial) reasons. Shaikin's source says Pedro was working around 85 mph.

Shaikin adds:

The Dodgers did not scout the workout, and Manager Joe Torre said today that the team has not discussed Martinez since spring training.

Summing up previous reports: the Nationals weren't in attendance Friday, the Brewers didn't get a chance to see him, and the Yankees will pass. We don't have definitive word on the Rays, Rangers, Cardinals, D'Backs, Indians, and Cubs. Rays exec Andrew Friedman downplayed his team's interest though.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/dodgers-interested-in-jarrod-washburn.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Interested In Jarrod Washburn?[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [June 21 at 8:08pm CST]

MLB.com's Ken Gurnick suggests Dodgers GM Ned Colletti is eyeing Mariners starter Jarrod Washburn, saying the lefty is "rumored on his radar." Gurnick says Colletti left this weekend to scout his own prospects, perhaps to gather information for future deals.

Washburn, 35 in August, has a sparkling 3.24 ERA in 13 starts this year. His strikeout rate is up a touch, but his peripheral stats are mostly near his normal level. So it appears to be a possible sell-high opportunity for Seattle. On the other hand, the Mariners are only 2.5 games out in the AL West. Washburn has about $5.9MM left on his contract, as well as no-trade protection.

Back
Top Bottom