OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Damn man...

Looking at how old Larry H. Parker looks compared to the cheesier commercials when I was a kid makes me feel even older
smh.gif
smh.gif

Wow, I caught bits and pieces of the game.

Went to a thai bbq restaurant and they had it on the dodger game, I was
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I also saw Hangover, and 562 I know people have different humor - the movie was predictable, but it was hilarious.

Ok back to the game:

-Loney back in Texas and he was playing like he owed them something, I believe he left 5 men on base and that error?
-can someone be the voice of reason with raffy? He has shown us NO streak this season, and he is currently the worst hitting SS in the NL.
-when Loretta is our DH, that just sums up how our team matches up vs the AL
-the rangers offense is crazy good.
-padilla made a #!!# load of pitches, but that dude is tough as nails
-dodgers have no one worth filling in the DH role in which they can get offense from.
-this interleague play will show the difference with the dodgers vs the NL and the AL.
-can't wait till manny is back.
-martin and the boys are still ghost.

This is gonna be tough.

smh.gif
our offense has been horrible lately, all these dudes are pressing. They need to learn how to play small ball, everybody just goes up swinging for thefences. We made padilla work but we couldn't finish him off.

Hopefully tomorrow we play better
ohwell.gif

I been saying, I just don't think the Dodgers are good at 'situational hitting'

Also, discussion - Raul Ibanez: Career year or PED?

Thoughts?

[h2]http://www.truebluela.com/2009/6/12/908018/andruw-jones-needs-to-shut-up[/h2]
[h2]Andruw Jones Needs To Shut Up[/h2]
From Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times:
Sitting at his corner locker in the Texas Rangers' clubhouse Friday, Andruw Jones said the main reason he asked the Dodgers to release him this winter wasn't his desire for a change of scenery.

He said he asked out mainly because of the way he was treated by Dodgers owner Frank McCourt

"He wasn't standing behind me, I think," Jones said, adding that if McCourt had shown him more respect, "I almost definitely would be part of the L.A. Dodgers right now."

No matter what your feelings are about owner Frank McCourt, every Dodger fan owes him a hearty handshake if he in any way greased the skids to get Andruw Jones out of town. Andruw, signed to a 2-year, $36.2 million contract before the 2008 season, had one of the worst seasons in Dodger history and was eventually released in January.

Simply put, the Andruw Jones contract with the Dodgers is on the short list of candidates for worst contract in baseball history. More from Hernandez:
While acknowledging that McCourt paid him a hefty salary, Jones said the owner had no right to complain about a deal that was mutually agreed upon.

"I got paid that money because that was my value," Jones said, pointing to the numbers he posted in 12 seasons with the Atlanta Braves.

Frank McCourt absolutely had a right to complain about your deal. You showed up to the Dodgers overweight and out of shape, and you showed almost no ability to perform as a baseball player. Unless one of your paychecks bounced, McCourt held up his end of the bargain. Why didn't you uphold yours?

Jones said this of McCourt:
"I know it's his money but sometimes they need to stay away from what's going on in the field. He never played baseball before. He might have a sense of it from running the team but he can't be too involved like that."

It doesn't take a baseball playing history to realize that a .158 batting average is poor. You don't need to be an ex-jock to notice that five hits with 58 at-bats with runners in scoring position isn't getting the job done.

I'm happy for you that you decided to actually put forth an effort for your current baseball team. I'm glad you were able to use your Dodger experience to lose some weight in the offseason, and showed up to spring training in shape.

You've already won, Andruw. You got your release. You are still getting paid your money. Shut up already.

Is this guy serious?
indifferent.gif

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/06/baby-boy-brox.html[/h1]
[h1]Baby Boy Brox[/h1]
Dodger reliever Jonathan Broxton and his wife, Elizabeth, had a baby boy Thursday in Georgia, the Dodgers announced. Congrats to the clan!

The team did not indicate whether Broxton might miss tonight's game. Hope he isn't rushed through his cuddling time - you only get that once ...

that's gonna be a big #$% baby, I bet it weighed in at like 8-9lbs
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Andruw needs to shut his *%@ up

eek.gif
Congrats to OX
smokin.gif
. He's got himself another Paul Bunyan to nurture and care for, that's what's up. I can only think of the Simpsonsepisode with the bum telling the story of Paul Bunyan and how the whole town would only work to keep feeding him, using butter skates on a big *%@ griddle panto make his pancakes
laugh.gif

[h2]Former star Gagne returns to baseball - in Quebec[/h2]
Marianne White, Canwest News Service Published: Friday, June 12, 2009

1690277.bin
Christian Petersen/Getty ImagesEric Gagne, who's fallen from grace is well-documented, is making a comeback in the hope of resurrecting a major league career that has plummeted since he left the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2005.

QUEBEC -- Eric Gagne has gone from making $10 million US last year with the Milwaukee Brewers to earning this summer a meagre few thousand dollars with the Quebec Capitales of the independent Can-Am League.

But he's not in it for the money. The dominant pitcher, who's fallen from grace is well-documented, is making a comeback in the hope of resurrecting a major league career that has plummeted since he left the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2005.

The comeback begins Saturday when he plays his first game with the Capitales.

"I'm here to play baseball, for the love of the game," Gagne told a news conference this week in Quebec City.

He said his immediate priority is getting back into shape while being a starting pitcher for the Capitales.

"If I return to the major leagues in a year or two, I'll be happy," he said. "But for now, I'm concentrating on my next start."

Gagne was the dominant closer in baseball from 2002 to 2004, when he notched 152 saves in three years for the Dodgers. That earned him the National League Cy Young Award in 2003.

But in 2005, the Montreal-raised pitcher underwent surgery to repair ligament damage in his right arm. He was never the same after the surgery and appeared in only two games in 2006. He was released by the Dodgers and joined the Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox in 2007. Gagne then moved on to the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008 and was released by the team this past spring.

Seeing Gagne pitch in Quebec City is something local baseball fans never thought they would get a chance to witness.

"When he won the Cy Young Award, I remember telling myself I'd be happy to see him play once. Now I'll be able to see him pitch several times and in Quebec City," said 19-year-old Steven Lapointe, a baseball player and fan of the Capitales.

"It's a dream come true, a gift for baseball lovers."

Most supporters are undeterred by the fact that Gagne's name appeared in the Mitchell report on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball. It was alleged he had received two shipments of human growth hormone in 2004 from a former New York Mets clubhouse attendant.

Gagne declined to meet with Mitchell during his investigation and has never given his side of the story. And he made it clear this week he has no intention of doing so in the future.

"The past is the past. Everybody has (his) opinion and I can't change that. What I can do is play baseball, and that's what I'm here for," Gagne told reporters.

Gagne will make his mound debut on Saturday at the Quebec City municipal stadium.

Team officials are expecting to break attendance records by packing as many as 6,000 baseball fans into a stadium that seats only 4,000. They are selling tickets for a standing section along the first base line and on the terrace.

"It's almost surreal to see the buzz surrounding Eric's arrival," said Pierre-Luc Nappert, spokesman for the Capitales. "The phone rings all the time and we're selling tickets at an unprecedented rate. People don't want to miss his first game."

Maurice Dumas, a sports columnist for the local newspaper, Le Soleil, said despite Gagne's injuries and allegations of drug use, he is still a star in his home province.

"He's a big name and the enthusiasm of local fans shows how popular he still is," Dumas said.

MLB NETWORK TO AIR SPECIAL DON DRYSDALE SEGMENT ON MONDAY, JUNE 15

Bob Costas to voice special segment on Drysdale's sixth straight shutout game on the night of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination

June 12, 2009 - MLB Network will air on Monday, June 15 a special feature narrated by Bob Costas about Don Drysdale's sixth straight shutout game, pitched in 1968. The game, held on June 4, 1968 between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Pittsburgh Pirates, coincided with Robert F. Kennedy's victory in the 1968 California primary. In the first words of his acceptance speech, Kennedy congratulated Drysdale; moments after the speech, Kennedy was assassinated. Four days later, on June 8, Drysdale broke a 55-year old record for consecutive scoreless innings and wore a black arm band to honor Kennedy's memory.

The piece includes original interviews with Drysdale's former teammates former Dodgers first baseman Wes Parker and Hall of Fame pitcher Don Sutton, Drysdale's widow Anne Myers and Kennedy's speechwriter Jeff Greenfield.

[h1]Asking price causes Kennedy-Kenrick's Walker to drop in baseball draft[/h1]
By TED SILARY
Philadelphia Daily News

[email protected]

As recently as Tuesday afternoon, as he headed home from Senior Week in Ocean City, N.J., to prepare for baseball's first-year player draft, Christian "Ya-Ya" Walker sounded excited.

He had long owned a national profile, one that had experienced off-the-charts mushrooming back in January, thanks to his winning, bombs-to-everywhere performance in a home-run derby at Tampa's Tropicana Field.

Walker, a 6-1, 210-pound third baseman (and occasional catcher) from Kennedy-Kenrick High in Norristown, was hearing he could be selected anywhere from the second to sixth round.

As much as he wanted to believe that . . .

"The whole thing is a crapshoot," he said then. "You never know. You can't 'expect' anything. I'm anxious. I just want to see what's going to happen."

Thank goodness he didn't hold his breath.

The draft commenced Tuesday night (three rounds), then dragged through Wednesday (to 30) and yesterday (to 50). After almost going unpicked, Walker was tabbed by the Dodgers in the 49th round.

Forty-ninth?! Why so late?

$$$$$$.

Scott Walker, Christian's father, sounding frazzled but at the same time looking ahead with hope, detailed his family's wild ride early last evening.

How the family, in concert with adviser Mike Martini, had informed teams before the draft that $750,000 would be required to keep Walker from honoring his commitment to the University of South Carolina.

How Red Sox scout Chris Calciano, a Philly native and former star at Robert Lamberton High, called Tuesday to say his team would take Walker in the fourth round if agreement could be reached on a $500,000 bonus.

How the family came down to $650,000, and the Bosox declined to move up.

"You know how it goes," Scott Walker said. "Baseball people talk. When it's through the 20th round and Christian's still not drafted, it was obvious the word got around that our number was $650,000."

Scott Walker said Calciano again made contact yesterday and repeated his half-million offer.

"We said we'd go with that," Walker said. "I called Christian - he's back down the shore - and he was excited. The idea of just forgetting the draft stuff and going to South Carolina was growing on him. But at the same time, pro ball was what he wanted all these years. What he worked for.

"They were up to maybe the 45th round now. We thought it was going to happen . . . Then we get the word. Dodgers. Forty-ninth round. I'm not sure why the Red Sox didn't follow through. I don't want to say anything bad about them. I just don't know. It didn't happen."

Attempts to reach Calciano were unsuccessful.

Christian Walker's skills were scrutinized by every team. He subjected himself to extra workouts for the Dodgers, White Sox, Royals, Yankees, Red Sox and, yes, your Phillies. To meet the Dodgers' request, he even traveled to Atlanta to perform with schoolboy and college prospects from around the East Coast.

Scott Walker said the Dodgers told him they are not prepared to offer $500,000, but will follow him over the summer. The deadine to sign is Aug. 15.

"I'm sure Christian and his family are disheartened," said K-K coach Tom Sergio, who played minor league ball and advanced to Triple A. "It's a rough situation. You could argue both ways."

"There's a little bit of heartache for us," Scott Walker said. "This was difficult. [Wife] Julie and I are looking back. Did we pass up a great opportunity? We set a number that we felt was fair, considering Christian's talents and that he's signed with a great SEC program. Then we came down because we felt that made the most sense. The economy's crazy. Who knows how much everyone's going to get?

"Christian is confident this is going to work out. In fact, he assures me he'll be able to double his bonus amount in 3 years."

Jason Schmidt, who has been on the disabled list since June 18 of last season, threw a simulated game of 30 pitches Friday and Torre expects him to begin his rehab assignments next week. ... Eric Milton (on the disabled list since Sunday) and Will Ohman (on the disabled list since May 30) threw bullpen sessions Friday. ... Eric Stults (on disabled list since June 1) threw off flat ground and experienced a bit of stiffness but nothing out of the ordinary. ... Hong-Chih Kuo (on disabled list since May 3) is expected to throw a bullpen Saturday.
Hector Luna: .351-.413-.655 in 218 PA, playing first, second and third base for the Dodgers' top minor league club.

Andruw Jones
laugh.gif

Just take the money that you stole from the Dodgers, and shut the hell up.

Reading that Schmidt article, I don't believe that we'll ever see him throw a pitch in an MLB uniform again.
tired.gif

Here's tonight's lineup in Texas...

Pierre, LF

Furcal, SS

Hudson, 2B

Ethier, RF

Blake, 3B

Loney, 1B

Loretta, DH

Martin, C

Kemp, CF

Wolf, P

Let's hope this offense can wake up
tired.gif

Furcal back in the 2-spot, let's see if he can get anything going.

Originally Posted by sinser13

i would like if hoffmann was dh. Is xavier back in the minors?

I wouldn't mind playing Hoffman in the outfield and giving Kemp or Ethier the DH.

Latest update on Xavier:
Paul almost over staph infection: According to The Sports Xchange, Dodgers outfielder Xavier Paul is almost fully recovered from a dangerous staph infection that started in his knee and spread into his upper leg, a condition that ultimately required surgery and a four-day hospital stay. Paul was back on the field before Thursday night's game with Philadelphia. He will be eligible to return from the disabled list Friday, but it appears unlikely that it will happen that quickly. Paul originally sliced open his left knee sliding into second base in a game in Philadelphia almost a month ago. A few days later, with the Dodgers in Florida on the same trip, he re-opened the gash while making a diving catch in the outfield. A few days after that, the infection had spread to the point that team medical officials made the decision to send Paul to the hospital.
(Updated 06/05/2009).

Sit down FatDruw
indifferent.gif

eek.gif
Andruw had the worst season ever in baseball history by anyone with over 200 at-bats.

It don't matter cause he's getting paid.

The Dodgers Movie - Bluetopia KCAL9 will be airing the Dodgers official movie Bluetopia on June 21st at 4pm and July 3rd at 1am Don't miss this uniquestory about the fans, the players Don't miss this unique story about the fans, the players and the team itself, filmed throughout last season withexclusive clubhouse footage and highlights of the games! If you miss the airing on KCAL9, the DVD is on sale now at Dodger Stadium and other retail outlets

Back
Top Bottom