**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

[h1]On the matter of Samuel Dalembert[/h1]
[h2][/h2]
Before everyone gets too far into the discussion of whether the Knicks should go after Samuel Dalembert, thereby sacrificing a significant portion of their 2012 salary cap space and removing the possibility of signing Dwight HowardChris Paul or Deron Williams in the summer of 2012, let’s take a step back.

The collective bargaining agreement expires June 30, and Dalembert would not become a free agent until July 1. Nobody knows what the rules of the new labor agreement will be, and the proposal delivered by the owners to the players last week (which was not received warmly by the union) includes the elimination of the mid-level exception the Knicks would need to use to sign someone of Dalembert’s caliber.

Also, Sacramento Kings owner Joe Maloof has said retaining Dalembert (and guard Marcus Thornton) would be an offseason priority. The Kings, who expect to be about $26 million under the salary cap, have the option of signing Dalembert to an extension between now and June 30.
For argument’s sake, let’s include Dalembert among the top five centers who could possibly become free agents this summer (the rankings are mine) and take a closer look at their individual situations:

1. Nene. The Denver Nuggets center has an early termination clause in his contract, and most around the NBA expect him to exercise it. The Nuggets also have the option of signing him to an extension before the current CBA expires, but he would be the most sought-after big man on the market if he chooses unrestricted free agency — and thus would be beyond the Knicks’ financial means because they have no salary cap space.

2. Tyson Chandler. With the season he is having as the Mavericks are still playing in the postseason, it would make little sense for Dallas to let him leave. That would force them to hand over the position to Brendan Haywood, perhaps the worst free agency signing of 2010 (apologies to Johan Petro) when Mark Cubansigned him for six years and $55 million.

3. Marc Gasol. The Memphis center will be a restricted free agent, meaning the Grizzlies will have the right to match any offer. You think they would refuse to match after Gasol just helped them upset the No. 1-seeded San Antonio Spurs? Didn’t think so. And again, he would command a salary that would be beyond the Knicks’ means (mid-level, if such a thing exists).

4. DeAndre Jordan. Here is a guy who might accept mid-level money, but he, too, is a restricted free agent, and even the Clippers are smart enough to know that his athleticism and shot-blocking is a perfect complement to Blake Griffin along the front line for the long-term — especially with Chris Kaman’s monster contract coming off the books in 2012.

5. Dalembert. If those first four guys are off the market, Dalembert would emerge as the No. 1 free-agent center if you eliminate Yao Ming and Greg Oden because of their medical conditions. The laws of supply and demand traditionally benefit 7-footers in the NBA, and Dalembert would likely be able to find a team willing to pay him more than the projected mid-level number of $6 million.
So, who else is out there?
Here, alphabetically, are the centers due to become free agents (an R denotes a restricted free agent, a PO denotes that the player has an option to remain under for the 2011-12 season):

Louis Amundson (PO), Hilton Armstrong, Alexis Ajinca, Tony Battie, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook (PO), Jason Collins, Erick Dampier, Francisco Elson, Melvin Ely, Kyrylo Fesenko, Jeff Foster, Dan Gadzuric, Aaron Gray (PO), Hamed Hammadi (R), Spencer Hawes (R), Chuck Hayes, Ryan Hollins (PO), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (PO), Jared Jeffries, Solomon Jones, Nenad Krstic, Jamaal Magloire, D.J. Mbenga, Nazr Mohammed, Shaquille O’Neal (PO), Josh Powell, Joel Przybilla, Theo Ratliff, Jason Smith, Etan Thomas, Kurt Thomas and Ronny Turiaf (PO).

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Which one of y'all is from Hong Kong?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Cold world.

Cold from the top to the bottom.
30t6p3b.gif

Phil Jackson to the Knicks in 2012? Don't rule it out.According to an NBA source, Jackson is definitely through with the Lakers, but would not rule out him coaching again in the NBA."If the right situation presented itself, he would have to consider it," the league source said.The Knicks could be the right situation in 2012, even if they are not on the verge of adding a third star in Chris Paul to go along with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire.In the past, Jackson, who won two championship rings as a Knicks forward, has flirted with coming back to the Garden, talking up his desire to follow in mentor Red Holzman's footsteps.Jackson, who is still best friends with Bill Bradley, interviewed with Isiah Thomas and James Dolan for the position in 2005 but passed, instead rejoining the Lakers.Knicks president Donnie Walsh is committed to coach Mike D'Antoni through next season, when his contract expires. If a bored Jackson makes himself a free agent, the Knicks would be a strong candidate, especially since Dolan would be the likeliest owner to lavish Jackson with a massive contract.According to a league source, health likely won't prevent the 65-year-old Jackson from making a comeback in 2012-13 after taking a season off, though he has entertained the idea in the past of having a co-coach to make things easier.The source said Jackson's hips are no longer an issue and he is considering knee-replacement surgery and a weight-loss program this summer to alleviate problems with his knees."Phil's going to have to find a way to keep himself occupied and fulfilled because Jeanie [Buss, Jackson's girlfriend] is not retiring," the league source said.Jeanie Buss, the Lakers' marketing chief and daughter of owner Jerry Buss, told The Post on Feb. 12 that Jackson's return to the Knicks would "bring him full circle.""I can tell you he was open to going to the Knicks in 2005, then the Laker job opened up," Buss said in February before Jackson made what may be his last Garden appearance as coach."The Knicks job would bring him full circle and I wouldn't stop him. I am in New York several days every month for business. That being said, the Knicks have a very good coach and are doing very well. So it shouldn't matter."Speculation on Jackson's future is in full gear after the Lakers ended their reign in despicable fashion -- a four-game sweep in Dallas culminated by Sunday's 122-86 Game 4 massacre.Though Jackson announced months ago this was his last season, he stopped short of saying definitively he has coached his last game."I haven't answered that, have I?" Jackson said coyly Sunday.Jackson added: "All my hopes and aspirations are this is the final game I'll coach. This has been a wonderful run." Source: http://www.nypost.com/p/s...e_15GhCdRbTXnF1KxnX3YgsI

Originally Posted by REDd SPYDER

Phil Jackson to the Knicks in 2012? Don't rule it out.According to an NBA source, Jackson is definitely through with the Lakers, but would not rule out him coaching again in the NBA."If the right situation presented itself, he would have to consider it," the league source said.The Knicks could be the right situation in 2012, even if they are not on the verge of adding a third star in Chris Paul to go along with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire.In the past, Jackson, who won two championship rings as a Knicks forward, has flirted with coming back to the Garden, talking up his desire to follow in mentor Red Holzman's footsteps.Jackson, who is still best friends with Bill Bradley, interviewed with Isiah Thomas and James Dolan for the position in 2005 but passed, instead rejoining the Lakers.Knicks president Donnie Walsh is committed to coach Mike D'Antoni through next season, when his contract expires. If a bored Jackson makes himself a free agent, the Knicks would be a strong candidate, especially since Dolan would be the likeliest owner to lavish Jackson with a massive contract.According to a league source, health likely won't prevent the 65-year-old Jackson from making a comeback in 2012-13 after taking a season off, though he has entertained the idea in the past of having a co-coach to make things easier.The source said Jackson's hips are no longer an issue and he is considering knee-replacement surgery and a weight-loss program this summer to alleviate problems with his knees."Phil's going to have to find a way to keep himself occupied and fulfilled because Jeanie [Buss, Jackson's girlfriend] is not retiring," the league source said.Jeanie Buss, the Lakers' marketing chief and daughter of owner Jerry Buss, told The Post on Feb. 12 that Jackson's return to the Knicks would "bring him full circle.""I can tell you he was open to going to the Knicks in 2005, then the Laker job opened up," Buss said in February before Jackson made what may be his last Garden appearance as coach."The Knicks job would bring him full circle and I wouldn't stop him. I am in New York several days every month for business. That being said, the Knicks have a very good coach and are doing very well. So it shouldn't matter."Speculation on Jackson's future is in full gear after the Lakers ended their reign in despicable fashion -- a four-game sweep in Dallas culminated by Sunday's 122-86 Game 4 massacre.Though Jackson announced months ago this was his last season, he stopped short of saying definitively he has coached his last game."I haven't answered that, have I?" Jackson said coyly Sunday.Jackson added: "All my hopes and aspirations are this is the final game I'll coach. This has been a wonderful run." Source: http://www.nypost.com/p/s...e_15GhCdRbTXnF1KxnX3YgsI

This paragraph is pure speculation but it damn near brought a tear to me eyes. Phil Jackson as Knicks head coach would be sooooo 
smokin.gif

Here's how I want the offseason to work out.

Draft

At 17 - Draft BPA. I'd like Faried.
I'd like for us to buy a pick late in the 1st round especially if a player like Lucas Nogueira is available so we can stash him in Europe for one more year

Free Agency

Trying to sign Michael Redd to the vet's minimum.
Re-sign Jeffries and Shawne Williams

No clue about the MLE. Would like Jordan the most, but the center class at the MLE level is very lame. Jordan probably will go for around 7 mil IMO

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

Bynum for Amare tho ? Broussard is a tool I hate how these reporters act like the Lakers are entitled to stealing other NBA teams stars when they feel like it . Annoys the hell outta me
roll.gif
No way the lakers trade a Center for a small forward

dont u just need matching salaries in the trade machine? arenas for lebron can probably work, unless gilbert makes too much money
laugh.gif

Greatest coach in NBA history is overrated? Lets wait until after he comes to NYK then he'll be overrated.

I don't know what it is with yall and these injured FAs. I wish the best for Redd, he was a left handed beast but I don't want to take risks on these guys playing healthy, let alone get their bodies NBA ready, and then being a positive impact on the team. I'm leaning more to CP3 cuz of Billups banged up legs.

Trade machine
pimp.gif
Get it done Donnie

Get me Grant Hill and Michael Redd on one year deals, plus Dalembert in the middle with someone that doesn't get drafted. Buy a late first rounder, draft a crafty point guard.

Draft Josh Selby or Chris Singleton...Prefrably Selby, he's one of the guys who might be around when we are picking who's ceiling is actually quite high.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Get me Grant Hill and Michael Redd on one year deals, plus Dalembert in the middle with someone that doesn't get drafted. Buy a late first rounder, draft a crafty point guard.
I'd probably be fine with and back a trade for Grant and Nash but there's no way Grant comes here for a one year deal. Ignoring that he's pretty rooted in PHX with his family he'd need some stability and assurance if he decided to come to NY.

I don't got much to say about the draft cuz chances are we're gonna get somebody none of us have heard of and we'll boo whoever it is
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom