NY slang appreciation Vol. Son is a burger

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by popcornplaya

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

Can someone post as much NY Slang as possible. My dude and I were having a discussion and I was saying Midwest (Cleveland to be exact) steal our slang from NY and he disagreed. We use son, no %+##, pause, real talk, "b", etc. He said that "real talk" came from the South and that NYers actually steal their slang from the West Coast. I told him I don't think so and we got into a nice lil' argument. Every slang term that you KNOW originiated in NY, please post.
And CLeveLand never felt like a Midwest city to me anyway and the people I knew growing up always felt the same.

ohio
roll.gif

My life right now is better than yours though fam. No matter where I'm from.
laugh.gif

So let's not go there popcorn boy..

no one made you live in ohio, boy.

and you say your life is better than mine. you're so cool.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by popcornplaya

Can someone post as much NY Slang as possible. My dude and I were having a discussion and I was saying Midwest (Cleveland to be exact) steal our slang from NY and he disagreed. We use son, no %+##, pause, real talk, "b", etc. He said that "real talk" came from the South and that NYers actually steal their slang from the West Coast. I told him I don't think so and we got into a nice lil' argument. Every slang term that you KNOW originiated in NY, please post.
And CLeveLand never felt like a Midwest city to me anyway and the people I knew growing up always felt the same.

ohio
roll.gif

My life right now is better than yours though fam. No matter where I'm from.
laugh.gif

So let's not go there popcorn boy..

no one made you live in ohio, boy.

and you say your life is better than mine. you're so cool.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Calling someone a BURGER has been around since the sixties. It is short for "fur burger", and I am quite sure that many of you know what that means.....

..but one that I KNOW FOR A FACT that came from NYC Ball players that I knew, was sayin', "Yo' why she trying to play me TO THE LEFT?"

Suggesting that you were doing something "24/7/365", came from Brownsville, Brooklyn. A cat named Jerry Reynolds who played at LSU, then the Milwaukee Bucks, supposedly coined that phrase.

Calling the cops "the jinx" is a Brooklyn thing from the seventies...suggesting that something was "dope", "phat", "ill" is most definitely a NYC thing. Calling women "skeezers" was a southern thing, from where, I don't know.

There are waaay more that originated in the five boroughs, I will post as soon as I can think of them.

Calling someone a BURGER has been around since the sixties. It is short for "fur burger", and I am quite sure that many of you know what that means.....

..but one that I KNOW FOR A FACT that came from NYC Ball players that I knew, was sayin', "Yo' why she trying to play me TO THE LEFT?"

Suggesting that you were doing something "24/7/365", came from Brownsville, Brooklyn. A cat named Jerry Reynolds who played at LSU, then the Milwaukee Bucks, supposedly coined that phrase.

Calling the cops "the jinx" is a Brooklyn thing from the seventies...suggesting that something was "dope", "phat", "ill" is most definitely a NYC thing. Calling women "skeezers" was a southern thing, from where, I don't know.

There are waaay more that originated in the five boroughs, I will post as soon as I can think of them.

I will not contribute any slang to this thread.

OP is a double agent tryna get ALL the up to date NYC slang so he can use it at his expense.

u aint low my g.

OP is a double agent tryna get ALL the up to date NYC slang so he can use it at his expense.

u aint low my g.

Originally Posted by LIVE BOY D

u aint low my g.

laugh.gif

Man listen I dont care what yall call me, all Im saying is dont forget that old school cats that were our age in the 80's were coming up with alot of this slang. In all different cities. Some cities stole, some brought it over and some made it up. Most slang was redirected from Hip-Hop music; which was born in NYC. That's a damn fact. But as Hip-Hop got bigger, so did the use of slang..

I was born and lived in NYC until I was 5, my parents are NYers and my fam are too. I ain't taking anything away from NYC. But that burger %#%#, I dont care who made it - that %#%# gotta go..

u aint low my g.

laugh.gif

Man listen I dont care what yall call me, all Im saying is dont forget that old school cats that were our age in the 80's were coming up with alot of this slang. In all different cities. Some cities stole, some brought it over and some made it up. Most slang was redirected from Hip-Hop music; which was born in NYC. That's a damn fact. But as Hip-Hop got bigger, so did the use of slang..

I was born and lived in NYC until I was 5, my parents are NYers and my fam are too. I ain't taking anything away from NYC. But that burger %#%#, I dont care who made it - that %#%# gotta go..

Duke left NY when he was 5 and over here trying to dead NY slang like hes a New Yorker. Stay in Cleveland, dun. Let New Yorkers worry about what we say

Duke left NY when he was 5 and over here trying to dead NY slang like hes a New Yorker. Stay in Cleveland, dun. Let New Yorkers worry about what we say

Fam you serious?
laugh.gif
. I'm not white plus I grew up in the hood so we associate with 2 different breeds of people in Cleveland...and 'that's what's up' is slang? LOL since when?
^Speaking of which, isn't this NY as well?
100%...i can even tell you what boro...thats da bronx all day.

Fam you serious?
laugh.gif
. I'm not white plus I grew up in the hood so we associate with 2 different breeds of people in Cleveland...and 'that's what's up' is slang? LOL since when?
^Speaking of which, isn't this NY as well?
100%...i can even tell you what boro...thats da bronx all day.

I remember moving from NY to the west coast when I was eleven or twelve, cats were looking at me crazy for the slang I was using. Son, tight, fam, dun and a few other joints. I know every summer when I go back, I hear something new but most of the slang is recycled. My uncles will laugh at me when they hear me saying certain words and tell me they used to say the same words when they were young. 
I DO KNOW, the south takes a lot from NY. CA is completely different than NY but you hear mad southern rappers using NY slang. I remember hearing swagger all the time when I was young in NY, I remember hearing mad cats saying it. Then a few rappers say it LL, Keith Murray and Cam'ron, next thing you know the whole south is saying it (wayne the most). I know swagger isn't technically slang but in NY it was

I remember moving from NY to the west coast when I was eleven or twelve, cats were looking at me crazy for the slang I was using. Son, tight, fam, dun and a few other joints. I know every summer when I go back, I hear something new but most of the slang is recycled. My uncles will laugh at me when they hear me saying certain words and tell me they used to say the same words when they were young. 
I DO KNOW, the south takes a lot from NY. CA is completely different than NY but you hear mad southern rappers using NY slang. I remember hearing swagger all the time when I was young in NY, I remember hearing mad cats saying it. Then a few rappers say it LL, Keith Murray and Cam'ron, next thing you know the whole south is saying it (wayne the most). I know swagger isn't technically slang but in NY it was

u aint low my g.

laugh.gif

grin.gif

and to Ballerific703 i agree 100% my moms moved to atl like 6 summers ago and those dudes do nothing but swagger jack i been telling kids since junior high they aint got no swag now since 2008 that word is prevalent in the hip hop community. I know a few dudes and chicks out there and every time i go down to visit my moms in the summer, christmas, etc: these cats wanna talk to me like they a fellow new yorker calling my phone like "yo son we chillin today b"
indifferent.gif

u aint low my g.

laugh.gif

grin.gif

and to Ballerific703 i agree 100% my moms moved to atl like 6 summers ago and those dudes do nothing but swagger jack i been telling kids since junior high they aint got no swag now since 2008 that word is prevalent in the hip hop community. I know a few dudes and chicks out there and every time i go down to visit my moms in the summer, christmas, etc: these cats wanna talk to me like they a fellow new yorker calling my phone like "yo son we chillin today b"
indifferent.gif

I do remember my Uncle used to try and tell me he created the slang "knocking the boots". I remember my mom used to yell at him saying don't say that around my son, I was like six back then. H-Town came out with that song a few years later and he was tight, hahaha

Back
Top Bottom