NT's Homeowners, I need help.(25+ come on in)

just bought a house in Hawaii.... 500k....

SMH for living in the state with the highest cost of living in the country
frown.gif

I can only imagine what 500k would get me in the mainland...

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

frown.gif

hahahaha not much.  i got a 2bd/3ba condo for that.  i was really hopin to get into a SFR but in the area I wanted to live it was out of the question.  A good friend of mine bought a house in the same area around the same time I did.  $770K for a 2bd/2ba 900sq ft (no I did not leave a digit out).

frown.gif

My uncle just moved his family from Hawaii to Texas. He was telling me how crazy the cost of living is. Let's see, 450k will get you this in the nicer part of Houston. It's actually my family's old house, pretty close to closing. 5000 sq. ft, 6 bdrm 3.5 bath. PS Texas > *
hr2653865-16.jpg

hr2653865-2.jpg

hr2653865-1.jpg

hr2653865-8.jpg

hr2653865-12.jpg

hr2653865-7.jpg

All these posts are making me real jelly!

In the part of Cali where I live 125k buys you a port o potty!

Originally Posted by djuzi05

frown.gif

My uncle just moved his family from Hawaii to Texas. He was telling me how crazy the cost of living is. Let's see, 450k will get you this in the nicer part of Houston. It's actually my family's old house, pretty close to closing. 5000 sq. ft, 6 bdrm 3.5 bath. PS Texas > *
hr2653865-16.jpg

hr2653865-2.jpg

hr2653865-1.jpg

hr2653865-8.jpg

hr2653865-12.jpg

hr2653865-7.jpg

that would be 2mill + on Oahu....
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

2 million in Houston will get you 8700+ sq. ft, 8 bedroom, 8 bath custom to whatever you want
laugh.gif
Move out here man

Originally Posted by djuzi05

2 million in Houston will get you 8700+ sq. ft, 8 bedroom, 8 bath custom to whatever you want
laugh.gif
Move out here man

This right here is why I'm not leaving Texas.

frown.gif

On Oahu? Curious as to what 500k would buy...got pics or details?

Great to see young adults focused on the finer things in life such as purchasing a home. I'm 30 and I'm getting married in September. We're looking to purchase a home in a couple of years. I'm thinking we may move to the south suburbs as the cost of homes are much more managable than say living in Oak Park.

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

frown.gif

Well, my data is skewed a little.  My in-laws are selling us a house they own for 500k, it is appraised at 900k though. Yes I got SUPER LUCKY!!!! 50% off a house in Hawaii (where land is scarce) right after marriage is like hitting the lottery
grin.gif

An ideal 500k house will get you 2/3 bedrooms, maybe one bath, close neighbors, no ocean view, older style home but not too horrible... something like this...
hr1018158-1.jpg

Originally Posted by AirJapan707

I wish I had a 500k budget when I bought my house. Props man.

Thanks dude.  Getting married helped.  Combined income FTW
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

My advice is to have no debt (student loans, car loans, etc.) and lock down a steady job... you would be surprised what you can afford!

If the OP posted the question for HIS specific situation...my advise would be don't get hung up on price and what OTHER people have...chasing is what got this country in trouble to begin with....

I'm not mad at those with $500k house...or 9000 sq ft 15 bedrooms etc...cause a lot of that is regional (trust $500k doesn't go THAT far in NYC)...buy what you can afford...buy what you like...keep a stable job and if your lucky you can upgrade as you grow in life....don't turn growing in life into a pickup post where dudes are sometimes like lil girl's trying to upstage each other...cause thats gonna be a mistake...

Just bought a new home 285000. Perfect home for us wont lie its a little small but better then paying rent plus there is a guest house we can rent for income.. One piece of advice get ready for all the manual labor you will do.

Originally Posted by Ayipapi

If the OP posted the question for HIS specific situation...my advise would be don't get hung up on price and what OTHER people have...chasing is what got this country in trouble to begin with....

I'm not mad at those with $500k house...or 9000 sq ft 15 bedrooms etc...cause a lot of that is regional (trust $500k doesn't go THAT far in NYC)...buy what you can afford...buy what you like...keep a stable job and if your lucky you can upgrade as you grow in life....don't turn growing in life into a pickup post where dudes are sometimes like lil girl's trying to upstage each other...cause thats gonna be a mistake...

I made that mistake with my car. Went into it not even planning to buy a new one ended up spending nearly double what I planned but my old car I had been stolen so I had to do something quick.

With this house I'm taking my time. My lease isn't up until November so I have plenty of time.

^ totally agree I was pre approved at 325k but ended getting a house at 240k. I didn't want to be a slave to my mortgage.

'AirJapan707 wrote:
^ totally agree I was pre approved at 325k but ended getting a house at 240k. I didn't want to be a slave to my mortgage.
Did you feel pressured to go towards your 325k limit?  I'm afraid of going to a realtor saying "I'm approved for $X but only want to spend $Y" and them pressuring me to go higher since they work on commission.
How did you guys find your real estate agent?  Word of mouth?
(sorry if I'm thread jacking)

Most Real Estate agents arent worth %!%!...I'd rely more on word of mouth and anyone you know giving recommendations. They work for you, remember.

If you're approved for 350k, ask to see houses in 300k range and they'll show you some above but some lower too. Or go lower even, you can claim you're looking around and may find away to go that high, etc.

@jschue I actually used a broker for my house. I never had any contact with the actual real estate agent. She was referrred to us, and she was worth every single penny. Best thing is she splits the commission with the real estate agent so it was no extra money out of my pocket. But like lazyJ said, the agent works for you. Set out a guideline for your agent so they can get a feel for your needs in a house and your budget and comfort level with a certain budget. I think you get a feel pretty quickly from an agent who knows their stuff to someone who is trying to squeeze every penny out of you. Good luck man!

Originally Posted by SIZE TENS

frown.gif

Well, my data is skewed a little.  My in-laws are selling us a house they own for 500k, it is appraised at 900k though. Yes I got SUPER LUCKY!!!! 50% off a house in Hawaii (where land is scarce) right after marriage is like hitting the lottery
grin.gif

An ideal 500k house will get you 2/3 bedrooms, maybe one bath, close neighbors, no ocean view, older style home but not too horrible... something like this...
hr1018158-1.jpg
Very lucky indeed! My wife is constantly talking bout moving there one day. My house in NY is cost more and is larger than what you posted, but I could easily downsize as long as I can be outside all year round. 2ft. of snow on the ground is no what's up.

Back
Top Bottom